FY20 Chief Selection Board

18 minutes ago, AME1 said:

If I don't make it I have no regrets about the 22 years of Naval service I will have accumulated next year, and if I do that just means I get a couple extra years of playing Navy.  I have enjoyed helping people out, and even starting some conversations on here.  Best of luck to you this year, and hope it's your year. 

I have always felt this is the right attitude to have...  I just hope this attitude continues not just with you but every single sailor in the Navy.  I do also hope that leaders are taking the time to explain the precepts and how to not only lead but take care of their sailors.  Their success is our success as our success is there success. I've seen it way to many times where I have read an E6 Eval and it just talks about how good they are at their job and fail to mention any thing on what they have done for their sailors and what their sailors have accomplished.

But I Digress Good luck brother.

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, AME1 said:

If I don't make it I have no regrets about the 22 years of Naval service I will have accumulated next year, and if I do that just means I get a couple extra years of playing Navy.  I have enjoyed helping people out, and even starting some conversations on here.  Best of luck to you this year, and hope it's your year. 

That is a great attitude to have and you have never given up on your dream and wearing anchors, no matter what has happened. Thank you for the luck, I hope that we can both be on here in 5 weeks and say we got the S. 

Guest oldno07

Been looking at this forum for years. First time posting I hit 17 in June 3rd time in a row making board. Hopefully this will be my year to earn my Anchors!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Doc (FMF) E said:

I have a RSCA question. I have been 1 of 1 for 3 years straight because I was on independent duty with the Marines. I’m not an IDC but as FTS we have to go to Marine I-I duty billets as a staff member at Reserve level company billets. I was twice at the RSCA at (one a 4.0 EP and one a 4.14 EP) since the Marine O’s hadn’t established one yet (2 different reporting seniors in back to back years) one was an O-5 and one an O-3 🤦🏻‍♂️, then I got a 1 of 1 EP a 4.43 with a new reporting Senior but because his RSCA is so inflated for HM evals I was BELOW his RSCA of 4.5. My last eval with the same LtCol was a 4.71 with a 4.5 RSCA. Last year I transferred and got the “new guy P.” I was ranked #3 of 3 sailors (small summary groups are common for FTS HM’s at I-I duty and NOSC billets) with a 4.0 trait avg with a CO that has recently established his RSCA and his RSCA is a 4.14. Even though I have 4 EP’s and a P in my last 5 years worth of evals, I’m wondering if these RSCA “issues” and small summary groups were detractors on the board. Besides this I’ve hit all the wickets and have (in my opinion) very good SSP. Thoughts?

Being ranked 1 of 1 is a difficult position to be in. The board will understand the high rsca, but it will be difficult to determine how you ranked against previous PO1s as you and the other HM1s were ranked high based off his rsca. The only thing I would hope is that your write up doesn't just say how amazing you are, but also have some comparisons between his E6 equivalent personnel and how he would compare you to them. Things like best addition to my team I've seen in my xx military career. Performs above and beyond the standards I have set forth for my staff sgts. Would be #1 if ranked against my staff sgts. The best HM1 I've seen in my entire military career of service in the Marine corps. Comments like this go a long way. 

• Like 1

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
6 hours ago, AME1 said:

I'm just ready for results to come out, Given my track record with the board, and the quota's going down I'm not holding my breath.  

110% this ^^^

I read this forum last year before getting the N and have been stalking it for awhile this year to. Hopefully this is my year, 4th time up ive had LPO on last two evals, SOY last year, President of FCPOA, ESO, Urinalysis coordinator, associates degree and both my last two evals are 4.71 and 4.85.  I'm one of those who stress constantly about it and its driving me nuts.. feels like results are still 5 months away not 5 weeks. Anyway good luck everyone the waits the hardest part!

Guest LS1(AW/SW/IW)
14 hours ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Right here! coming at you live from Ft. Bragg, NC. Lol

Va Here 2nd time at it. Good luck

Guest st17iwc_ccc
7 hours ago, wetaxl said:

11th time AM here. Fingers crossed. 

For those who have been here a long time I know and get it, I’m on the 10th try, sadly being an IT it’s not always easy to make CPO, but like many of you persistence is key ... constantly improving yourself and your sailors is all you can do. I my self like AME1 just continue to help make the navy great regardless. 

Im hoping this is a good year for all of US!!

Guest st17iwc_ccc
13 hours ago, Deepseashawn said:

I read this forum last year before getting the N and have been stalking it for awhile this year to. Hopefully this is my year, 4th time up ive had LPO on last two evals, SOY last year, President of FCPOA, ESO, Urinalysis coordinator, associates degree and both my last two evals are 4.71 and 4.85.  I'm one of those who stress constantly about it and its driving me nuts.. feels like results are still 5 months away not 5 weeks. Anyway good luck everyone the waits the hardest part!

Good job that’s a strong showing. soy is a good bullet for sure!! Congrats on the Associates degree now push forward for your bachelors degree! I will say and I’ll assume yes, but those collaterals like fcpoa pres and eso, have you documented your commands successes w your management of those things. Showing fcpoa raised X $’s for mwr through fundraising efforts you made? Or X out of X sailors advanced due to efforts as eso.. it’s important to show command impact, not saying that your not. Just making sure for others on here that they know that it’s more important to have command impact over collecting titles. Do your job well and document how it supports and uplifts the command that is key!  

On your last last two evals those are very high numbers, how do they compare w the RSCA?? 

Guest st17iwc_ccc
17 hours ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

I have always felt this is the right attitude to have...  I just hope this attitude continues not just with you but every single sailor in the Navy.  I do also hope that leaders are taking the time to explain the precepts and how to not only lead but take care of their sailors.  Their success is our success as our success is there success. I've seen it way to many times where I have read an E6 Eval and it just talks about how good they are at their job and fail to mention any thing on what they have done for their sailors and what their sailors have accomplished.

But I Digress Good luck brother.

Can’t agree with you more.... my whole goal now as a CCC / ESO (I’ve pretty much given up as an IT 🤣🤣 , been a command CCC for 5 years now) is to make the navy better by making my sailors better. Legacy is hugely important just as those who have gone before us and left a lasting impact driving us to better the navy, we must leave that sense of pride and dedication to our sailors as well. 

But yup also agree evals that just scream “Me me me” dont uphold the values of what a senior first class or a Chief  should be doing... I put my sailors first sometimes at a detriment to my self. And it can hurt my career but as long as they are good and happy sailors, I’m happy. Well ok and as long as my CO and SEL  are happy too then I’m good! Hahaha

2 hours ago, st17iwc_ccc said:

Good job that’s a strong showing. soy is a good bullet for sure!! Congrats on the Associates degree now push forward for your bachelors degree! I will say and I’ll assume yes, but those collaterals like fcpoa pres and eso, have you documented your commands successes w your management of those things. Showing fcpoa raised X $’s for mwr through fundraising efforts you made? Or X out of X sailors advanced due to efforts as eso.. it’s important to show command impact, not saying that your not. Just making sure for others on here that they know that it’s more important to have command impact over collecting titles. Do your job well and document how it supports and uplifts the command that is key!  

On your last last two evals those are very high numbers, how do they compare w the RSCA?? 

Evals 4.71 summary group 3.93 EP

4.86 summary group 4.01 EP

And yes my evals reflect command impact by showing how many jsoq's were made, mwr involvement etc. As far as my degree it says associate's degree and x amount of credits towards bachelors. I'm proud of what I'm bringing to the table and feel I'm in the running but I still feel like I should have more the only problem is at this point all I can do is continue to do what I'm doing.

Guest st17iwc_ccc
21 minutes ago, Deepseashawn said:

Evals 4.71 summary group 3.93 EP

4.86 summary group 4.01 EP

And yes my evals reflect command impact by showing how many jsoq's were made, mwr involvement etc. As far as my degree it says associate's degree and x amount of credits towards bachelors. I'm proud of what I'm bringing to the table and feel I'm in the running but I still feel like I should have more the only problem is at this point all I can do is continue to do what I'm doing.

Thats good, you should be proud and of course keep up the hard work!! 

but not the summary group thats only the calculation for the current group of evals, you need the RSCA, you can find it on your PSR part III, generate a PDF of your evals, then look for the column title RSCA and then compare your eval # with the overall avg posted in the RSCA column, its Reporting Seniors Cumulative Average. That shows how you as a individual compare to the reporting seniors overall grading average. It gives the board a accurate account of how you compare to all the other 1st's your reporting senior has graded, this is important because some CO's  grade differently than others, so for example if a CO has a RSCA of 4.29 and you have a EP with 4.29 your at his or hers avg, additionally if they have a high RSCA like 4.5 or above and you have a 4.71 you are only .21 above their avg, where as I may have a  4.14 eval with EP or MP and my CO's RSCA is a 3.4 then I am .64 above their avg, meaning even though you have a higher eval score, i have a better eval based on the gap above the RSCA, hope that makes sense, this is important,  as the board takes this into consideration. 

Obviously you are a stellar sailor, and i commend you at your efforts, just trying to add clarity for those who might not know and for the new FCPO's so moving forward they can focus on what matters and they can better manage their evals and records for boards. 

Guest HM1 (FMF) MFR_12
On 6/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, Doc (FMF) E said:

I have a RSCA question. I have been 1 of 1 for 3 years straight because I was on independent duty with the Marines. I’m not an IDC but as FTS we have to go to Marine I-I duty billets as a staff member at Reserve level company billets. I was twice at the RSCA at (one a 4.0 EP and one a 4.14 EP) since the Marine O’s hadn’t established one yet (2 different reporting seniors in back to back years) one was an O-5 and one an O-3 🤦🏻‍♂️, then I got a 1 of 1 EP a 4.43 with a new reporting Senior but because his RSCA is so inflated for HM evals I was BELOW his RSCA of 4.5. My last eval with the same LtCol was a 4.71 with a 4.5 RSCA. Last year I transferred and got the “new guy P.” I was ranked #3 of 3 sailors (small summary groups are common for FTS HM’s at I-I duty and NOSC billets) with a 4.0 trait avg with a CO that has recently established his RSCA and his RSCA is a 4.14. Even though I have 4 EP’s and a P in my last 5 years worth of evals, I’m wondering if these RSCA “issues” and small summary groups were detractors on the board. Besides this I’ve hit all the wickets and have (in my opinion) very good SSP. Thoughts?

Just created an account to reply to your post.  I'm a fellow PO1 and I've been in back-to-back-to-back MFR billets for 12 years out of my 14 years of service.  As an FTS Sailor, I've never been to a Navy Reserve Center (NOSC), having been 1-of-1 for the last 12 years. I had the same concern as I've always been 1 of 1, with my eval write-ups chopped to bits by USMC officers who don't understand or care to compare me to his Marines .  So long-story short, I asked the current Command Master Chief of Marine Forces Reserve (MFR) during an Indoc Course at MARFORRES this question and he actually pulled all of the FCPO's aside and went over his RSCA's and his evaluation writeups.  He said that on the boards that he has sat in the RSCA matters, but that the board members understand that a lot of the FTS HM Sailors are stuck in 1-of-1  billets and that quite often we set the RSCA ourselves.  In those cases, how we stack against the RSCA doesn't become a detractor, but that means the write-up matters more.  He mentioned the MARFORRES  ForceOrder in regards to Evals should help, with the intent of moving Evals from being signed at Company level (Marine O3 officers) to the Battalion level (Marine O5 officers) which would also provide the opportunity for soft breakouts.

As far as myself:  I'm now at a Battalion-level MFR unit alongside an Active Duty Chief (at Company  units previously, no Reserve Sailors back then), so I have Reserve Sailors under me as well as FTS Chiefs at the Company level and one fellow FCPO.  So now I can affect my Reserve Sailors' advancements, qualifications, awards and retention.  This last year the Regiment pulled all of our evals to their level and I was given #1 EP of the Regiment, SSOQ 4th Quarter at the Regiment, SSOY at the Regiment and another SSOQ 2nd Quarter at the Regiment again.  The detractor I have against me is I've been with MFR units for so long, and only received my FMF qualification last year.  My 2017 eval has the OPNAV blurb "failed to obtain qualification within the prescribed time."  There is a reason I didn't attain my qual earlier, but after 12 years within MFR, nobody cares about excuses, they just want to see results (and rightfully so).  We'll see how I shake this year (2nd time making board, out of three opportunities).  If not, I think I'll need to double-down on my Sailors and getting them qualified this year, showing I've overcome the one thing holding me back and went on to become the SME.  I feel like everything else in my record is solid, just that one detractor counting against me.

23 minutes ago, HM1 (FMF) MFR_12 said:

If not, I think I'll need to double-down on my Sailors and getting them qualified this year, showing I've overcome the one thing holding me back and went on to become the SME.  I feel like everything else in my record is solid, just that one detractor counting against me.

Fixed that last little bit for you.  From what it sounds you already have the Sailorization in mind.  Just need to remove the detractor, and focus on making them better.  If you pick up anchors or not, by focusing on them you are working at the level of the Chief.  It's just up to the board to see it.

Guest st17iwc_ccc
2 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Fixed that last little bit for you.  From what it sounds you already have the Sailorization in mind.  Just need to remove the detractor, and focus on making them better.  If you pick up anchors or not, by focusing on them you are working at the level of the Chief.  It's just up to the board to see it.

100% truth!

Guest IT1(SW/EXW)

Long time reader first time posting, 2/2 Board Eligible.

Everyone is always talking about helping out their junior Sailors, but don't forget your fellow first classes. It doesn't matter if you hold a collateral duty title, or your not the LPO, You can make a huge command impact if one of your brothers or sisters needs assistance, help them out too.

We need to remember we are looking to see that "S" and to do that you should already be performing at that level.

The Chief's Mess is sought after by all because of the close knit community and brother/sisterhood that it provides.

Guest st17iwc_ccc
4 minutes ago, IT1(SW/EXW) said:

Long time reader first time posting, 2/2 Board Eligible.

Everyone is always talking about helping out their junior Sailors, but don't forget your fellow first classes. It doesn't matter if you hold a collateral duty title, or your not the LPO, You can make a huge command impact if one of your brothers or sisters needs assistance, help them out too.

We need to remember we are looking to see that "S" and to do that you should already be performing at that level.

The Chief's Mess is sought after by all because of the close knit community and brother/sisterhood that it provides.

absolutely... i look after my fellow first just as my junior sailors. being a 12 year 1st class, with almost 20 years in, most of my fellow first look to me like a chief, but i take care of everyone the same. 

1 hour ago, st17iwc_ccc said:

Thats good, you should be proud and of course keep up the hard work!! 

but not the summary group thats only the calculation for the current group of evals, you need the RSCA, you can find it on your PSR part III, generate a PDF of your evals, then look for the column title RSCA and then compare your eval # with the overall avg posted in the RSCA column, its Reporting Seniors Cumulative Average. That shows how you as a individual compare to the reporting seniors overall grading average. It gives the board a accurate account of how you compare to all the other 1st's your reporting senior has graded, this is important because some CO's  grade differently than others, so for example if a CO has a RSCA of 4.29 and you have a EP with 4.29 your at his or hers avg, additionally if they have a high RSCA like 4.5 or above and you have a 4.71 you are only .21 above their avg, where as I may have a  4.14 eval with EP or MP and my CO's RSCA is a 3.4 then I am .64 above their avg, meaning even though you have a higher eval score, i have a better eval based on the gap above the RSCA, hope that makes sense, this is important,  as the board takes this into consideration. 

Obviously you are a stellar sailor, and i commend you at your efforts, just trying to add clarity for those who might not know and for the new FCPO's so moving forward they can focus on what matters and they can better manage their evals and records for boards. 

I did print off my psr and compare numbers and I am well above those as well, I dont have it in front of me or I would share those numbers with you guys. I hope this is my year but we will see, I've checked every box and then some, went through precepts, career path for my rate, record and I'm still worried but trying to not stress about it because that does nothing for you.

Guest st17iwc_ccc
Just now, Deepseashawn said:

I did print off my psr and compare numbers and I am well above those as well, I dont have it in front of me or I would share those numbers with you guys. I hope this is my year but we will see, I've checked every box and then some, went through precepts, career path for my rate, record and I'm still worried but trying to not stress about it because that does nothing for you.

best course of action! its completely out of our control! you are doing the right things! But honestly its all subjective, we all look at our own records through rose colored glasses, im guilty of it myself. Best thing is to get great mentors CPO and above and have them guide you and look at your record often. help make course corrections or additions. 

First week of the AC board down!  Expecting SELRES/FTS next week looking at historical dates. It’s out of our hands at this point. Keep pushing hard. Have a cold one and a good weeeken!

• Like 1

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

They changed the community LADR from last year to this year, I feel they are more detailed and I actually hit the mark better. How much do they go by these on the board? That’s what I wonder. It’s always hard to be told by mentors that I’m hitting the check in the box but not be selected and see others that I have more than make it. That’s the most frustrating. Makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong or just plain missing some detail.

Guest st17iwc_ccc
1 minute ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

They changed the community LADR from last year to this year, I feel they are more detailed and I actually hit the mark better. How much do they go by these on the board? That’s what I wonder. It’s always hard to be told by mentors that I’m hitting the check in the box but not be selected and see others that I have more than make it. That’s the most frustrating. Makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong or just plain missing some detail.

tough to say... i had some of the same issues... however i did find gaps in evals which i had to fix, but i get it. Sometimes our records dont reflect the same way our peers and superiors see us. And thats the main thing. Make sure your evals and records reflect your work. Sometimes a simple squeeky clean sailor with less than the hard charges look better on paper. Thats it.. 

As far as LADR's they dont use them that im aware of, they go off precepts. I could be wrong but ive never heard of a LADR being used for scoring on the boards. Someone else may have more info.