FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest IT1Dolph
Just now, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

I'm sure the board didn't see that you going to JCU (sea duty billet) from shore duty joint command as being a negative thing. Your evals seem pretty legit.  Like NavyITFixitGuy said, that should carry a lot of weight.

Thank Brother.  I guess we will all find out tomorrow.  I wish both of you "Good Luck", and everyone else out there.

20 minutes ago, IT1Dolph said:

Thanks Brother I appreciate it!!  JCU was ROUGH to get into, but well worth everything I've been through to be here.  If only I would have known about this command earlier in my career...  Just hit my 16 year mark in July, been at the command less than a year.   

On a different note, Any ET or IT's out there if you think you have the stuff I HIGHLY recommend JCU.  By far the BEST command I've ever been to!!!

Hopefully we can go through the season together. We'll find out tomorrow...

Guest LeroyJenkins

I'm working tomorrow (Thu) and have Friday off (weekly day off) to move my household across town. I already have an Authorized Absence loaded for this Drill Weekend because of the move and because I recently returned from an extended MOB.

I know Murphy's Law kicks in when it is least convenient, and I already booked the upcoming Returning Warrior Workshop for my wife & I in September; we both need it more than we realized and I got tired of waiting, waiting, waiting to hear results before I threw my chit in.

I want to participate in the Season if I am lucky enough to be (S), but I'm also between a rock and a hard place. Would not be very upset at all if this year just wasn't my year either....

Guest DeepseaSeabee
On 8/3/2016 at 9:06 AM, Tony said:

Wanted to share something @Ordy posted:

Ok, so I would like to share some gouge I got last year.  

Let me give you a brief background on me so that this makes sense.  Two commands ago I left as the #2 EP (periodic) in my command.  I had been an extremely successful LPO in three different positions during my time there.  My duty was shore based, but I was deployable.  I was very successful on my deployments and was a division chief at a MALS unit overseas in Japan.  I had been attending college for 5 years and at the time was 6 or so classes away from my bachelors.  Career counselor, lots of volunteerism, Joint service, 7 NAMs, well above CO's average with normal upward progression with sustained superior performance.  I then transferred to Recruiting Duty where I flew out the gate as the Rookie Recruiter of the year, then LPO of a recruiting station the following year.  I had all the blocks I had the opportunity to check filled with a few that I still had plans to pursue when offered the opportunity.  My evals were solid.  About 50 chiefs looked at my evals and had little to no critiques.  I got the "N" last year and about went through the roof.

I ended up contacting a Master Chief who had sat the board and sent in my package to him to review and tell me where I went wrong.  He said, number one, that he wished there were more quotas and that it was extremely difficult to rack and stack.  He said that having to move a person worthy of Chief to the no select pile was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do, but that it was a necessity.  He began to tear my package apart, which really pissed me off, by asking a thousand questions about it.  He asked... 

Why don't you have your MOVSM when you have all this volunteerism?  It was all documented, I didn't know I needed it if it was already there.

Why don't you have a degree with all of this college in your record?  I had to switch to a BS due to degree completion timeline requirements at my school.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why didn't you have this qual at this command?  I was deployable and my command wouldn't support it because I could leave at any time.

I didn't see PPME in your record.  Why?  I haven't got to that yet, it is on my list of things to do.

Why weren't you the division LPO?  Again, I was deployable, so I was unable to hold that position.

Why weren't you in QA?  Deployable.

These were just a few of the questions that were asked, but they went on and on...  This is what I lost...  I missed out on 10 or so points for a MOVSM that would have taken me a whole hour to write and route.  I missed out on 10 or so points for an associates degree by skipping it and going for my BS.  I missed out on points for quals I was ineligible to get.  I missed out on 10 or so points for PPME because PPME is worth the same as an Associates Degree!!!  

This is what I learned... If I had written in my LTB the reasons for all of this I would have received points and then some.  Let me splain...

If I would have explained the issue with the college, I may have received points and possibly more because I was so close to my BS.  I should have sent in my transcripts with an explanation.  If I would have explained the qual issue, I would have probably received more points for my other accomplishments that I did do because I was unable to do the things they were looking for.  Finally, it's all about the points.  

Sadly, they "grade" your package.  This means that they assign a point value for everything that they find and deduct points for negative things they find.  Unfortunately, they are bound by these rules.  Even though I was super successful leading, mentoring and guiding Sailors; I had an impact everywhere I went; I worked on personal and professional development, the points got me in the end.  So I saw people on the list that I knew, that did not work as hard for their Sailors and their Command as I did, get picked up for Chief.  Even though I slaved countless nights working on my degree, it was for not in the end.  

Let me be clear.  I am not crying.  I picked myself up, dusted off and began to address the issues he brought up.  I always told myself that I wouldn't be that guy who had 100 quals and did nothing with them, well I threw that theory out the window. I got my MOVSM, PPME, Addressed the issues in the LTB, accomplished other things and left my recruiting command as the #3 (periodic).

I hope I make it this year, but if I do not, I know that it isn't because I am not deserving of Chief, it is because I didn't attain enough points to be competitive enough.  It's about points points points.  Get everything you can.  Explain things in your record.  Don't worry about sending in too many enclosures or that your LTB explains too much.  In a nutshell, anything you think would count as points, or if you want them to see it, or know why about something, include it in your LTB.  This may be redundant for most of you, but it was an eye opener for me.  I hope this helps someone... 

I used this post to guide me all year long. Besides SSP, leadership positions, collaterals. This year I focused to achieve everything attainable and help everyone I worked with to do the same. Associates degree, PPME, JPME, MOVSM and a third warfare qual. With over 17 years and after receiving the N for the past 8 years. I'm hoping this helps me be one of the 6 selected out of 101 in my rate. However, I do know some stellar first classes in my rate. Good luck to them and everyone here working hard to take care of the Navy, their commands and most importantly their people. I look forward to seeing everyone's status updates tomorrow. @Tony thank you for creating this forum among others and everything you do to improve it and keep it running for us. @Ordy thank you for the original post. 

Guest DeepseaSeabee
1 hour ago, TRON828 said:

3. Do not falsely post that the results are out. This will result in a ban. Also, do not mislead people into believing the results are out or that they should check BOL. If you try to agitate the crowd, particularly while waiting for the release of the results with comments such as "I HAVE BAD NEWS!!!!" "CHECK BOL TOMORROW!!!" or in any way attempt to get a reaction out of other members or guest; you are out of here.

@TRON828 Protecting your flock I see. Good stuff. 

Guest PSjg78
2 hours ago, TRON828 said:

21  YEAR OLD? LOL HOW old are you boss? I feel young with a 2 year old and I'm 34

Yeah my 19 year old sent me the most amazing text last night.... they eventually do get it hahah....

Guest PSjg78

who is really gonna sleep tonight??? The more I think about it the more I know there will be no sleeping for this one tonight :unsure:

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009
1 minute ago, PSjg78 said:

who is really gonna sleep tonight??? The more I think about it the more I know there will be no sleeping for this one tonight :unsure:

Not me.  And we have our last Phase 1 CPO 365 PT at 0400 - 0700 tomorrow morning.  I'm going to be hurting.  

Guest PSjg78
3 minutes ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

Not me.  And we have our last Phase 1 CPO 365 PT at 0400 - 0700 tomorrow morning.  I'm going to be hurting.  

ouch yeah you are ..... I usually get in around 0615-0630 I told my Chief tomorrow I might show up exactly at 0800 hahahha

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
14 hours ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

Here! I have been for quite sometime now. I kinda imagine what the board sees. Do they see the same things as me? Do they see Block's 29, 41 and 44. Will they miss those?  I know they see blocks 40 and 43. Those are a given. Also OMPF codes 30-37. Do they really hit on reenlistment contracts, admin remarks, stuff back from 1999 when I joined. Do those really matter? I have these questions playing in my head. My LTB, my career summary letter (past 5 years), my past 5 evals. I've shown progression since my welcome aboard P in 2014, Sailorization wasn't heavy on my welcome aboard P in 2014 because I was only on board 2 months. Sailorization was real heavy in 2015 (divisional and command wise), but not so much in 2016 since we were in the yards and I was TAD to PMA QA even though I was the LPO. I do have ACFL bullets (leading command PFA's) and sitting IW/SW boards and holding training and leading CPO 365 PT's and training events on my 2015 and 2016 evals. I hope the board will count those as having Sailorization. Anyway that's what runs through my head all the time while I check my OMPF, PSR and LTB. So yes brother, I feel you. I do even though our fate has already been sealed. I can't help it. I've said it once and l'll say it again, good luck to all of us! I hope and pray this is our year.

I feel you man. I am in the same boat, welcome to First Class P, then I got to MPs back to back. Which I didn't deserve but it is what it is. Went back to back sea duty, then got a MP my first eval and I just pulled an EP. Number 7 of 39. So hopefully I will get the S and honestly I am not too positive but you never know. Other than that I have a degree, all the PPMe's done, green belt, USMAP, ESL. Don't know what else I can do. If I don't make it I know I will get another EP and maybe that will help. I don't know how hard the board penalizes for back to back MP's even though my trait average was higher than the RCSA....

Guest The Man

does anyone know how the board would look at certifications? I know its not a degree but it is a master certification. not sure if they'd look at it like schooling or what.

thanks

Guest Iam32
On 8/1/2017 at 4:50 PM, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Well guys talk to you tomorrow, we are on internet hours on the mighty IKE. Try to get some sleep tonight and spend time with the family if you are able to, you never know if it will be the last time for the next 6 weeks

How are PO1's evals ranked on the  IKE is it by departments or rank all together just curious since it a big command.

Guest Darrel Craig

I just wanted to tell everyone good luck and I hope that everyone gets selected. For those that don't, don't stay down too long, keep pushing and get ready for next year, our Sailors still need us to lead them by example. Here's a toast to everyone and best of wishes. 

Guest navyordie123

I think zzzquil will be the answer for tonight because as the day goes by the more and more I think about it, the more anxious I get.

Guest laurar06

I am super anxious because if my guy makes it, he's likely to go back to sea duty. But also I really want him to pick up.

Bottle of Woodford Reserve acquired.

Good luck all if you posting here. Reading this board has kept me from  losing my mind with suspense and made me laugh a lot.

Guest SEABEE(NMT)

Our Command is holding a First Class meeting when the results are released. So all of our First will know who were selected. I will be happy either way. I get so excited when any results are released. For those that I have trained and for those who have trained me. Which ever the outcome we must push on and keep our heads held high Knowing that our time will come! Continue to do our best and always keep in mind that the Navy will continue on with us or without us it's what we leave behind that make the Navy the greatest Navy ever. Our troops will carry the tourch from which we have lit for them. 

Guest SeaBeeDoc

So our command has informed all the SBE's to be in the auditorium  at 1200 CST, to let us all know at once who was Selected and who did not. Even though the TRIAD will know by 1000,  I am at a large command and while I may have to wait to find out before some of the rest of you, I think this is actually better than how it was done previous years where they would just walk around the building notifying each individual while the rest of us sat wondering if they were going to come to our workspace. So good or bad I will let you guys know tomorrow afternoon.  Best wishes and I hope we all get the NOD! try to get a good nights sleep tonight.

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, NDC(DSW/EXW/SW) said:

Of course man! It was you and me who commented most on this forum last year--Dont think I forgot!

I do remember that now. 

Guest james.matthias.cox

A question for everyone.  Do board members actually read the awards within OMPF or do they just acknowledge it and move on?

9 minutes ago, james.matthias.cox said:

A question for everyone.  Do board members actually read the awards within OMPF or do they just acknowledge it and move on?

Guidance is they read everything blocks 30-39 so I guess it would depend on the reviewer. 

Guest PR1de
2 hours ago, Vape83 said:

Well on the bright side while waiting for the call tomorrow.... I'm not sure about sleep tonight. But I can definitely sleep somewhat better now that I am holding my Bachelors degree that just came in the mail. BBb) 

Congratulations!!  I'm waiting to hold my MBA in the next few months. That will be the most weight off of my shoulders. Especially, if I don't make it. Prepping for life after now. 

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
4 hours ago, Iam32 said:

How are PO1's evals ranked on the  IKE is it by departments or rank all together just curious since it a big command.

If you are in the top 3 in the department then you get ranked with the ship, anything after in the department