FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest CTRCSouth
11 hours ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

I just remembered that August 3rd is my 12 year Navy birthday. Feels good.

Get to put on those GOLD stripes now.

Guest ETC(EXW/SW)
10 hours ago, FunBawse98 said:

If/when I put it on, though I have contemplated many times the kind of Chief I want to be, I will rely on all that I have learned and all that I WILL learn during the season to become the best leader that I can be. I find that one must malleable, despite preconceptions and past experiences, to fit the mold of what the Navy and our Sailors need. I'm no Joe Navy, but for me, Chief has always been more than a rank or a pay raise. I once had a Mess early in my career who brought me back from the brink of self destruction, true leaders that fixed broken Sailors and made us better people. If I could be one ounce the Chief that those guys were and make that difference in a Sailor's life or career - I can retire happy.

This is probably the hardest question to answer, and only each individual can answer it. There is no set guide lines or formula on what kind of Chief every Selectee will be, just know that you wont be able to answer it until a year or so afterwards, so don't be so hard on yourself. You will have an idea of what kind you want to be, but after some time you will know what kind of Chief you truly are. You are correct, it is more than rank or a pay raise, it is a mindset and a life style that can be hard to juggle at times. I say the hardest year is your second year, the first you are still trying to figure out your new role and how you may fit into the Mess, that second year is when you come into your own as a Chief and set the course on what kind of Chief you will be known as and the impact you will have - at this time there is no more WANT, it is the reality of what kind of Chief you have become.

I really hope that all of us that I see here year after year make it. It's always stressful even if we outwardly act like it's not; to our family and friends, so a to soften the N if it comes. Just take heart in knowing that we are the ones that are making a difference in our Navy. I know that those under our leadership here are succeeding and advancing. Those Sailors are becoming the SOY and JSOY, the SME's and the ones called to instructor duty because we take the time to let them know that they matter, and they can make it a better Navy for all of us. I always tell my Sailors when I teach them something or help them in some way they were not expecting to do just one thing. The always ask "What can I do for you?" The answer I always tell them is to just pass it on. Just teach or help someone else the way I helped you. When you do that you're helping me more then you know. It really does make the Navy stronger and the more people you help they in turn help someone else, just keep that going. If you get an S or an N this time don't worry either way, eventually it will come. Just know that it is not going to change you instantly, because we are who we are, and we do what we do for the small world/family that we are as a Navy.  Best of luck to everyone here!  

Guest NavySAR
3 hours ago, SARGUY2 said:

I figured I would create an account since I have been stalking this forum for about a week now. To further add to the RUMINT, I have heard from several sources that Thursday is the day. This is my first time up and hit my 12 year mark in September. Let say I was part of the SCPOA for life club b/c of low numbers and an overmanned rate at the time. Here's to hoping that all the time put into our careers and others is paid off tomorrow. Good luck everyone and thanks Tony, this forum has been enjoyable to follow.

What's your rate?

Guest loudcity

By the way. Since we know the results come out tomorrow who will be the first person you will call to tell them the news?

Guest navyordie123

Another day started and one closer to our finding out.  As stressful as tonight is going to be with trying to get sleep, just remember that our families are going to be there for us no matter what. I'm gonna try my best to relax and just focus on family tonight and wait to see if my world is going to change tomorrow or if I just move on and get ready for the next exam. Let's just hope that the list that @ET1EXWIWSW put out the other day comes true. Good luck to all.

Guest NavySAR
Just now, loudcity said:

By the way. Since we know the results come out tomorrow who will be the first person you will call to tell them the news?

My wife - she's what makes my career a reality by taking care of our house, kids, dog, everything..

Guest navyordie123
1 minute ago, loudcity said:

My wife then my past mentors that have helped me get to where I'm at today. 

Guest CTRCSouth
2 minutes ago, loudcity said:

My wife, then some of my past/current mentors.

Guest loudcity
2 minutes ago, NavySAR said:

My wife - she's what makes my career a reality by taking care of our house, kids, dog, everything..

Yeah I agree. My wife and kids will be the first. Then my mom. Wife & Mom both been very supportive. Both will be the one to pin me if I get selected 

Guest lydbkguy
9 minutes ago, loudcity said:

It was gonna be my Wife, but shes pissing me off today, so im reconsidering.. :graphics-3d-smileys-177509:

Guest Navyspook
30 minutes ago, loudcity said:

My wife. Without her I would not be able to do what I do.

Guest Navyspook
17 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

BTW, is your countdown an hour off?  Right now it says noon EST that they will be released.  I thought it was gonna be 11.  I could be wrong though!

As for who I will call first, I will be asleep at home shifting to nights, and my wife will be home, but I will probably call my Father in Law, YNCS (SS) (Ret.). Then try to call some of the previous people who have helped me along the way.

The countdown is an hour off.

Guest PSjg78
44 minutes ago, loudcity said:

My husband! MSGySgt ! He has been waiting and more excited then me

2 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

So the public countdown is also an hour too long then.

Oops forgot to fix the code on that but I think it is 8am. I never looked at that part!

Okay, fixed for 8am Friday too, can someone double check?

As posted by CTRC(IW/SW/AW)
Results will be to the Triad on Thursday 03 August 2017 for Active and FTS/SELRES at 1100 with the NAVADMIN coming at 0800 on Friday the 4th. That's official.

Final Countdown