FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest Chief Guns
4 hours ago, NavyChic said:

The Chief came in a work center that was not his, mad going off on a group of First and Second classes. 

He was wrong because the reason he was mad should have been discussed at a Chief to Chief level, well we have a Senior Chief. But the Senior Chief wasn't in the office at the time. Instead he took out on the Sailors that were there. These Sailors didn't even know who he was or what was going on. 

After he left, one of his Sailors came in and the other Sailors gave him a hard time like why did your Chief just come over here saying this and that.

And his Sailor said "well he is a new Chief" and some other things. 

I don't know if this Chief has been in the Navy 6 or 15 years. I do agree he was wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with him being "a new Chief"

First off i want to say i am not taking the particular Chief's side, or anyone's side. I don't know anything about the situation, command, and people involved. So regarding the new Chief phrase, let me say this...........

While most see the Chief as Superman/Wonder Woman, who never makes mistakes and is perfection 24/7, that isn't the truth. Especially in your first year as a Chief. I say this to all the FCPO's reading this, if you think you are going to get selected next week, put your anchors on in September, and immediately have all the answers, know what to do in every situation, know what to say to every single Sailor you encounter.........you are sadly mistaken and boy are you in for a rude awakening. I can guarantee you that each and every one of you will make more mistakes in your first year as a Chief than all of your years combined as E6 and below. And guess what? I know you will make mistakes, all of my fellow Chiefs on this forum know you will make mistakes, your CPO Mess at your command knows it, and your CO knows it. It's ok to make mistakes as a Chief. The goal is NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE. Learn from it, put it in your CPO leadership tool bag and carry on. Fact: It takes a Chief about two years to find his or her way, and fully settle into being the Chief. My first year, i didn't know my left from my right foot. Everything was moving a million miles an hour, i was wide eyed and always felt behind like i couldn't keep up. And i made a TON of mistakes. But here i am in year four as a Chief, i am now the Senior Enlisted Leader at my command, things have slowed down, i started figuring it out and settling in.

I used to say and feel the same way you do when i was GM1. It wasn't until i became a Chief that i understood the new Chief phrase, cause now i was going thru it as the new Chief. And you will understand too. I tell all my Sailors, the ranks of FCPO and CPO might be next to each other on the rank structure, but they are a million miles apart. Chiefs are charged with leadership roles that no other senior enlisted force in our military does. We are charged with training junior Officers. Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force senior enlisted don't do that and many many other things that separates the Chief.   

Too all the FCPOs keep pushing and never give up!!!! You are one step away from joining the most exclusive fraternity the world has ever known, the Chief Petty Officers Mess.

Too all my brothers and sisters on this forum, keep leading, training, guiding, and mentoring these amazing FCPO's. Cause they are the future of our great CPO Mess!!!

7 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

To all the FCPOs keep pushing and never give up!!!! You are one step away from joining the most exclusive fraternity the world has ever known, the Chief Petty Officers Mess.

One step that seems to take an eternity to make.

Guest Chief Guns
1 minute ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

One step that seems to take an eternity to make.

Took me five tries to get in. If i can do it, anyone can.

Guest RivRat973
16 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

First off i want to say i am not taking the particular Chief's side, or anyone's side. I don't know anything about the situation, command, and people involved. So regarding the new Chief phrase, let me say this...........

While most see the Chief as Superman/Wonder Woman, who never makes mistakes and is perfection 24/7, that isn't the truth. Especially in your first year as a Chief. I say this to all the FCPO's reading this, if you think you are going to get selected next week, put your anchors on in September, and immediately have all the answers, know what to do in every situation, know what to say to every single Sailor you encounter.........you are sadly mistaken and boy are you in for a rude awakening. I can guarantee you that each and every one of you will make more mistakes in your first year as a Chief than all of your years combined as E6 and below. And guess what? I know you will make mistakes, all of my fellow Chiefs on this forum know you will make mistakes, your CPO Mess at your command knows it, and your CO knows it. It's ok to make mistakes as a Chief. The goal is NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE. Learn from it, put it in your CPO leadership tool bag and carry on. Fact: It takes a Chief about two years to find his or her way, and fully settle into being the Chief. My first year, i didn't know my left from my right foot. Everything was moving a million miles an hour, i was wide eyed and always felt behind like i couldn't keep up. And i made a TON of mistakes. But here i am in year four as a Chief, i am now the Senior Enlisted Leader at my command, things have slowed down, i started figuring it out and settling in.

I used to say and feel the same way you do when i was GM1. It wasn't until i became a Chief that i understood the new Chief phrase, cause now i was going thru it as the new Chief. And you will understand too. I tell all my Sailors, the ranks of FCPO and CPO might be next to each other on the rank structure, but they are a million miles apart. Chiefs are charged with leadership roles that no other senior enlisted force in our military does. We are charged with training junior Officers. Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force senior enlisted don't do that and many many other things that separates the Chief.   

Too all the FCPOs keep pushing and never give up!!!! You are one step away from joining the most exclusive fraternity the world has ever known, the Chief Petty Officers Mess.

Too all my brothers and sisters on this forum, keep leading, training, guiding, and mentoring these amazing FCPO's. Cause they are the future of our great CPO Mess!!!

Chief where you are stationed now ? 

1 minute ago, ArmybratNavywife said:

First post this season, so allow me to start off by wishing all selection eligible good luck! For my sailor, this was supposed to be his last look and so he gave it his all. If he was not one of the lucky ones to receive the coveted "S", due to HYT, he would have had to retire in January. Then a miracle was granted to him in the form of the HYT changes. 

Although I work for the local American Job Center, as a Career Developer and Military Veteran Services representative, neither of us realized how ill prepared we were for the possibility of forced retirement. 20 years of service has flown by in the blink of an eye. Come "D" day, we will know if we will be celebrating his achieving his career goals, and planning for another 4 years of service, or breathing a huge sigh of relief that we have been granted the opportunity to better prepare for his eventual retirement. There is of course the added bonus of two extra chances to keep improving his package).  I am beyond grateful for forums such as these that provide invaluable insight regarding selection, how to continually make improvements, where to go to get honest feedback, and the suppprt. You all rock!

First of all, thank you for your support to our military, both as a supportive wife and as a material supporter to those transitioning.

Second of all, thank you for the kind words. Your insight and contributions are welcome and encouraged here.

Thanks for stopping by, and welcome to the conversation!

Guest HawkISback
28 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That is a great point of view, I think people put too much emphasis on a zero defect attack.  While if you are wonderperson of the year that is awesome, but likely realistic.  

Guest HawkISback

I have been humbled by being the non selected year after year.  Where the younger personnel might lack some humility because they have not tasted failure. 

Guest navyordie123

This week is almost over and it has been a long one. I have hardly been on this week since I have been so busy at work and then to tired to do anything after getting home.  AMI is finally over, now getting ready to go to the boat for awhile. Here is hoping to the results coming out next week and finally having the wait over. 

7 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I always enjoy these types of posts. Kinda' eye openers if you ask me. BBb)

Guest IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW)
10 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Took me five tries to get in. If i can do it, anyone can.

Five tries?  *Puts on best Bane voice*

You merely adopted not making Chief.  I was born into it, molded by it, shaped by it.

:5278:

Guest PO14Life
17 minutes ago, LSHARP said:

Lmao I was thinking the same 

I guess it's Friday and ppl know results aren't coming. 

I'm sure I will wake up to about 200 messages lol

Guest dyloch

“In order to realize the worth of the anchor we need to feel the stress of the storm.”

— Corrie ten Boom

That first year or two will be like a hurricane, a million things running around you and buffeting you to the point you will think you are going to drown.  Over time and with experience and a few "ah ha" moments, you will slowly settle into the eye of the hurricane, it will still be railing at full gale, but you will learn to sit and watch and pluck those critical items from the turmoil and become the Chief.

Guest NavyPride34
12 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

It would be ironic that when we least expect the results that they would drop today.  

Don't.  I don't want to get my hopes up for today.  I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Guest IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW)

Ok no more RUMINT...I just received confirmation that the birthday of the Chief Petty Officer is April 1, 1893.

Guest NavyPride34
13 minutes ago, IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW) said:

Ok no more RUMINT...I just received confirmation that the birthday of the Chief Petty Officer is April 1, 1893.

Funny that it's on April Fools' Day!

Guest IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW)
2 minutes ago, Christyl said:

Reason 372 Why I want to make Chief

Please don't make me take the test again! 

IMG_0786.JPG

Looks at second through 75th questions...wonders if he's taking the wrong rating exam.