FY17 Chief Selection Board

1 hour ago, EM_UNO said:

**Rumor Alert** (**GQ Bells). A fellow brother informed me that he heard from a bird high up, that is migrating south, that its a good possibility, the results will be out by the end of this week (once it's done migrating, of course).....:P

HomerSimpson.png

Guest navyordie123
14 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Not sure how I will accomplish it, but by the time I leave Mayport I am hoping to have established one there. Sometimes all it takes is one person with an idea and some motivation. As Andrew Jackson said: One man with courage is a majority. Bring it up and see if anyone has ever considered that in your area.

You have accomplished a lot already and I'm pretty sure that you could pull it off. I would love to go to any of those sights if I pick up. It would be a great way to learn all that great history and to learn about all the men and women who have come before me. 

Guest navyordie123
13 minutes ago, DeepSea5342 said:

I'm not going to lie I'm a little disappointed the release date didn't come out today. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

You aren't the only one. This place is gonna get so busy when that message comes out.

Guest navyordie123

As the day gets closer to finding out the results, I start to look back at what I have done in the past and wonder if I have had a big enough impact on my sailors. Will I be able to do it as a Chief? I know It will be tough at first to do it, but do I continue to do it the way I always have or do I need to take a different approach? What can I do if I'm lucky enough to pick to make a bigger impact on them? 

Guest osiris0107

I really hope they result dates come out this week. I love the hustle and bustle around spaces when it happens. I imagine its what its like when they begin to close the polls for the national election. Or when high school students tally up the folded paper to see who makes the treasurer for student body, lol!

22 minutes ago, osiris0107 said:

I really hope they result dates come out this week. I love the hustle and bustle around spaces when it happens. I imagine its what its like when they begin to close the polls for the national election. Or when high school students tally up the folded paper to see who makes the treasurer for student body, lol!

Speaking of national elections, I'm running an election poll on this forum. Cast your vote! 

November 2016 - Presidential Election Poll

:graphics-3d-smileys-429516:

Guest fryeguy67

First time poster, I've been actively following this board and decided to join in the fun. It has been a busy year. Hopefully everything that we've accomplished, through leading and encouraging peers, to personal accomplishments will pay off.

This past year I've completed my AS, third USMAP journeyman, SEJPME, 17 NAVEDTRAs and 14 Defense Acquisition University courses during my off time. Between being the CPO 365 Coordinator and FCPOA PAO, its taken a lot of learning and working with peers. I can say that not everything has been successful, but the tools that I've gained through hardship and frustration are powerful and I'll use them to empower the people around me to accomplish their goals.

Going from a two month 3.14 P to a 4.43 MP should send a positive sign to the board, with Sustained Superior Performance being the trend in my PSR. I think a detractor in my record is no LPO as billet, but I've led many other ways.

For those not being LPOs, how did you break out?

2 hours ago, fryeguy67 said:

Going from a two month 3.14 P to a 4.43 MP should send a positive sign to the board, with Sustained Superior Performance being the trend in my PSR. I think a detractor in my record is no LPO as billet, but I've led many other ways.

For those not being LPOs, how did you break out?

I have found a few ways to break out while at sea and my last shore duty rotation (NSW). 

Find ways in which you can improve or bring about topics from Brilliant on the Basics.  I got involved in the command mentorship and training teams at both commands.  I had LPO for 3 years at my NSW command although it was not the coveted "LPO at Sea" I still made the most of what I had.

Guest OS1/CCC

I still feel like i didn't make it. lol. Last year I new I didn't make it before the results were even released. I had a few Master Chief's review my record who sat the board before tell me they didnt think I would make it and I didnt. This year i do have some of the chiefs tell me the same thing. I work my butt off, have 3 MP/1EP/1MP for my last five evals (mp, ep transfer, all mp since i have been here. two people been here longer have the two EP spots). I do not have the CCC NEC but have been doing the job the past few years. 99% retention rate, got the C3F Command Retention Excellence Award,Dept  LPO at Sea, Actively involved with CPO 365, SEJPME, JPME, PME complete, BS in Public Health, AA in Health Services Admin (both on Active Duty), ESWS/EAWS, MTS, and even a MVSOM. Whether or not I ever make it, I feel accomplished and am a positive role model for our Sailors to look up to. So basically my advice to those out there waiting to see that "S", if you don't get it, remember how much you have already accomplished, and that you still have Sailors to lead that look up to you. Hold your composure and keep pressing on for them. 

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
6 minutes ago, OS1/CCC said:

I still feel like i didn't make it. lol. Last year I new I didn't make it before the results were even released. I had a few Master Chief's review my record who sat the board before tell me they didnt think I would make it and I didnt. This year i do have some of the chiefs tell me the same thing. I work my butt off, have 3 MP/1EP/1MP for my last five evals (mp, ep transfer, all mp since i have been here. two people been here longer have the two EP spots). I do not have the CCC NEC but have been doing the job the past few years. 99% retention rate, got the C3F Command Retention Excellence Award,Dept  LPO at Sea, Actively involved with CPO 365, SEJPME, JPME, PME complete, BS in Public Health, AA in Health Services Admin (both on Active Duty), ESWS/EAWS, MTS, and even a MVSOM. Whether or not I ever make it, I feel accomplished and am a positive role model for our Sailors to look up to. So basically my advice to those out there waiting to see that "S", if you don't get it, remember how much you have already accomplished, and that you still have Sailors to lead that look up to you. Hold your composure and keep pressing on for them. 

If I may ask, what do the Chiefs that are reviewing your record say you are missing? Based on what you have written here you have a really strong package. 

Are your evals above SGA? Are you progressing? 

It seems to me you have the right boxes checked and have been kicking butt!! 

Guest OS1/CCC
2 minutes ago, IT_uno said:

If I may ask, what do the Chiefs that are reviewing your record say you are missing? Based on what you have written here you have a really strong package. 

Are your evals above SGA? Are you progressing? 

It seems to me you have the right boxes checked and have been kicking butt!! 

Some are just below the SGA. Basically i dont break out in my write ups? I have been writing evals for years but i think i am weak at writing me own. lol. I provide all the supporting documentation that proves all the work i do and what not and when i sit down at eval time, what i wrote is there, but the verbage is different; written by much senior personnel. I didn't understand how important that verbage is to the board, that the evals are for the board, not for you, until i made board last year. lol.

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
1 hour ago, JQ30 said:

I have found a few ways to break out while at sea and my last shore duty rotation (NSW). 

Find ways in which you can improve or bring about topics from Brilliant on the Basics.  I got involved in the command mentorship and training teams at both commands.  I had LPO for 3 years at my NSW command although it was not the coveted "LPO at Sea" I still made the most of what I had.

I think the board realizes that not everyone will have the chance to have the title of LPO at Sea. However, the title is only as good as what you do in that position and if it is properly documented in your evals.

Like you said Brilliant in the Basics is looked highly upon. Participate in SOQ/SOY boards when possible, LEAD in a collateral duty, CPO 365/FCPOA involvement helps too!

In my humble opinion, a LPO is a LPO, regardless of platform. We lead and develop Sailors. 

Guest Riverine Rat

Couldn't sleep much last night thinking about results coming out and how I will hear about it at my command. (Recruiting duty) but had a dream I got selected and was told to come to HQ because I had messed something up and when I got there was told this is not how a CPO does business and I should know better ect. Only to find out I didn't mess up anything I had just been selected and they had just started the head games and congratulated me on making it and to run home and tell my family the good news and that I would be busy for the next few weeks. Very vivid dream and the first time I have ever dreamed I have been selected for Chief.

Guest OldSalt
2 hours ago, OS1/CCC said:

two people been here longer have the two EP spots

Hopefully this piece of advice you won't need for you, but in case you can use it later for yourself or your sailors. Sometimes commands have sailors operating at an EP level, but they do not have the enough EP spots for all of them. Which was in my case last year. To help make sure you stand out you can handle that in one of two ways. Have "X of Y MP's" to show you stacked high. Or, and this is probably better in some cases, something to the effect of "Would be an EP but limited in available spots." Still not as good as an actual EP, but does at least breaks you out from other MP's.

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

You will be able to do it as a Chief. The major difference will be that what you were once expected to be learning and becoming, you will now be! You will work harder as a Chief than you have in your whole career. Think of the preparation time, the amount of time developing plans, people, yourself, the mission, and so many other things. It is kind of like going from micro to macro. Your whole worldview will have to change. The good news is you won't be doing it alone!

Thank you for that @CPO_Pride247, I am my hardest critic and I want to make sure that I take my drive and passion for leading sailors into being a Chief when it is my time to be selected. I know the transition won't be easy at times but I want to do it the right way and make sure that my sailors are taken care of. I have always been told, never forget where you came from and I will never do that cause it is where I came from that made me who I am today. I am glad to hear that I will not be doing it alone and I hate to say this but a lot of times in the FCPO mess, it feels like that and I know that it's not like that in the Chiefs Mess.

Guest NukeET1FCFL

Been awhile since I've been back on the board. This is my last year I retire officially December 31st. I have a 95 days until my house hunting in terminal leave starts I have been actively searching for jobs expecting that I'm not going to get selected as I've not been selected the past 13 years however I know there's a possibility and since there is possibilities I figured I'd say hello to all my friends on this board one last time and see if anybody knew or had heard when the Triad notifications were going to be released yet my personal guess after many years of following this program would be either by Friday of this week or Monday of next week. Thoughts and comments please hopefully this isn't old debate.

Guest FCC_Thawk
37 minutes ago, CS_UNO said:

I haven't been at my command a year yet and I've been thinking if I do get selected, I don't know who I would want to be my sponsor. I know some commands assign a sponsor but I would like to have someone I know on a level other than just being assigned a sponsor but there is no one I can think of that I could ask. 

Thoughts? Have you all thought about who you would ask to be your sponsor if you do get selected? 

I haven't put any thought into it, but I do have someone in mind at my command that I would like, if I'm fortunate enough to get the S. Im fairly certain that the sponsors are chosen for the Selectees where I'm at, but I'm not sure to be honest

Guest navyordie123
41 minutes ago, CS_UNO said:

I haven't been at my command a year yet and I've been thinking if I do get selected, I don't know who I would want to be my sponsor. I know some commands assign a sponsor but I would like to have someone I know on a level other than just being assigned a sponsor but there is no one I can think of that I could ask. 

Thoughts? Have you all thought about who you would ask to be your sponsor if you do get selected? 

I haven't really thought about it cause like you I have only been at my command for less than a year but I guess we need to try and think of someone just in case we do make it.

Guest navyordie123

I haven't really thought about it cause like you I have only been at my command for less than a year but I guess we need to try and think of someone just in case we do make it.

Guest navyordie123

Guest HawkISback
1 hour ago, Tony said:

Don't forget to cast your vote for the forum November 2016 - Presidential Election! Vote with your heart, straw polls are showing interesting results.

Cast your vote!

(If @HawkISback were running for Prez, I'd vote for him!)

(this political message has been brought to you by some impatient salty sailors waiting for the Chief results.)

That would be fun. I would be running on the neo-pirate platform. 

Guest HawkISback

****************WARNO*******************

My command said they have Intel suggesting a release tomorrow.

I questioned them as to no warning msg from all hands.  But they seemed to believe it.  They are a small mess and not prone to mess with me. However, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Any others hearing this?