FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest HawkISback
3 hours ago, DeepSea5342 said:

I went ahead and figured out some statistics for you folks. Enjoy!

Previous active duty Chief Petty Officer result release dates: 
FY-2001, NAVADMIN 198/00 — 08/04/00 — Tuesday 
FY-2002, NAVADMIN 197/01 — 08/03/01 — Friday 
FY-2003, NAVADMIN 238/02 — 08/02/02 — Friday 
FY-2004, NAVADMIN 218/03 — 08/06/03 — Wednesday 
FY-2005, NAVADMIN 173/04 — 07/28/04 — Wednesday 
FY-2006, NAVADMIN 183/05 — 07/28/05 — Thursday 
FY-2007, NAVADMIN 221/06 — 08/04/06 — Friday 
FY-2008, NAVADMIN 196/07 — 08/08/07 — Wednesday 
FY-2009, NAVADMIN 213/08 — 08/01/08 — Friday 
FY-2010, NAVADMIN 230/09 — 07/31/09 — Friday 
FY-2011, NAVADMIN 269/10 — 08/11/10 — Wednesday 
FY-2012, NAVADMIN 233/11 — 08/01/11 — Monday 
FY-2013, NAVADMIN 232/12 — 07/31/12 — Tuesday 
FY-2014, NAVADMIN 193/13 — 08/01/13 — Thursday 
FY-2015, NAVADMIN 178/14 — 08/05/14 — Tuesday** 
FY-2016, NAVADMIN 184/15 — 08/06/15 — Wednesday** 

Release within the last 4 days of Jul: 25%
Release within the first 6 days of Aug: 62.5%
Release after the 7 days of Aug: 12.5%

Release on a Monday: 0.06%
Release on a Tuesday: 18%
Release on a Wednesday: 31%
Release on a Thursday: 12%
Release on a Friday: 31%

This is why I wish my AR on ASVAB is higher lol.  I need hands and toes.

Guest OS1/CCC

I just figured it was the ships internet. lol

12 hours ago, OneLastDance said:

It happens from time to time. First few times it happened to me I started making jokes about there being an echo in the forum. :P

Guest OS1/CCC

I just figured it was the ships internet. lol

12 hours ago, OneLastDance said:

It happens from time to time. First few times it happened to me I started making jokes about there being an echo in the forum. :P

Guest navyordie123
5 hours ago, OS1/CCC said:

is it bad to think i didnt make it? lol. 80 quotas, 412 eligible.

I don't think it's a bad thing because we all have a little self doubt in us and it's a way for us to remain humble cause if we walked around thinking we made it and then the results come out and we didn't then, it can completely destroy us. 

Guest HawkISback
6 hours ago, OS1/CCC said:

is it bad to think i didnt make it? lol. 80 quotas, 412 eligible.

No!  I have days where i feel like I am in like flynn.  Then there are days where I let self-doubt creep back in.  I am selfish, I want to make Chief so I can go back to expeditionary commands.  I feel like I can do the most good for the Navy in these austere environments.  Hooyah  sand sailor!

Guest Blondie

Hey everyone,

Been TAD a lot over the last few months, and will be gone again over the next few as well.  Just dropping by to wish everyone the best of luck on making rate this year!

12 minutes ago, Blondie said:

Hey everyone,

Been TAD a lot over the last few months, and will be gone again over the next few as well.  Just dropping by to wish everyone the best of luck on making rate this year!

thanks for swinging by when you can @Blondie. Always great to 'see' you here.

Guest navyordie123
27 minutes ago, Blondie said:

Hey everyone,

Thank you for that. Hoping the next week or so will go by fast.

Guest navyordie123

So nervousness has definitely started to set in. I do have some self doubt about if I am going to be lucky enough to make it this year. It's not due to lack of performance or anything like that, it's the unknown that makes me nervous. Just like every other SBE out there, it's the possibility of getting rejected and having to start over back at square one to figure out what else needs to be done to get that S the next year. Good luck to everyone out there that is awaiting the news. Weither it's a yes or a no this year, I think that finding out is going to be a stress reliever cause it has been a long awaited 8 months to find out our fate. Thank you to everyone on here for all the knowledge and information that has been passed on here. And to the Chiefs on here thank you so much for sharing your wisdom on what it takes to be a Chief. I am hoping that not just myself but everyone on here will be lucky enough to join y'all in the Chiefs Mess this year. And hopefully @CPO_Pride247 We will be seeing you on the USS Constitution later on this year as well. Again good luck to all my SBE brothers and sisters!! 

Guest FCC_Thawk
31 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

So nervousness has definitely started to set in. I do have some self doubt about if I am going to be lucky enough to make it this year. It's not due to lack of performance or anything like that, it's the unknown that makes me nervous. Just like every other SBE out there, it's the possibility of getting rejected and having to start over back at square one to figure out what else needs to be done to get that S the next year. Good luck to everyone out there that is awaiting the news. Weither it's a yes or a no this year, I think that finding out is going to be a stress reliever cause it has been a long awaited 8 months to find out our fate. Thank you to everyone on here for all the knowledge and information that has been passed on here. And to the Chiefs on here thank you so much for sharing your wisdom on what it takes to be a Chief. I am hoping that not just myself but everyone on here will be lucky enough to join y'all in the Chiefs Mess this year. And hopefully @CPO_Pride247 We will be seeing you on the USS Constitution later on this year as well. Again good luck to all my SBE brothers and sisters!! 

I have a boat load of self doubt. This being my ninth look, I'm so used to seeing the N that thinking that I could actually get the S seems far fetched at best. I know that I have a good shot and my evals and performance has constantly progressed in the last few years, but the feeling of not being good enough no matter how well I've done is hard to shake. 

Guest navyordie123
2 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

I have a boat load of self doubt. This being my ninth look, I'm so used to seeing the N that thinking that I could actually get the S seems far fetched at best. I know that I have a good shot and my evals and performance has constantly progressed in the last few years, but the feeling of not being good enough no matter how well I've done is hard to shake. 

I haven't been up as nearly many times as you have and I can just imagine how you feel about that. Rejection sucks so matter how many times it happens. The self doubt always sets in, especially when you start looking over your record getting ready for the board and as the board convenes. I think it's just human nature to have self doubt. My self doubt lies in that I was LIMDU last year and it almost feels like a hinderence, and also sometimes feel like I didn't do enough even though I know I accomplished a lot. Good luck to you brother, I hope that all your self doubt gets erased and you get that S, it's been a long time coming for you and from what you have told me about your career history, they would have been crazy not to select you. 

Guest FCC_Thawk
3 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

I haven't been up as nearly many times as you have and I can just imagine how you feel about that. Rejection sucks so matter how many times it happens. The self doubt always sets in, especially when you start looking over your record getting ready for the board and as the board convenes. I think it's just human nature to have self doubt. My self doubt lies in that I was LIMDU last year and it almost feels like a hinderence, and also sometimes feel like I didn't do enough even though I know I accomplished a lot. Good luck to you brother, I hope that all your self doubt gets erased and you get that S, it's been a long time coming for you and from what you have told me about your career history, they would have been crazy not to select you. 

Thanks man, it means a lot to me. I definitely understand your feelings about Limdu, I've been Limdu twice in my career because I have Patrick Ewing knees lol. I wrote a blurb on my cover letter for the LTB, hopefully it's enough to get me over the hump. Best of luck to you as well for that S that I'm hoping comes next week, although the week after is my choice for the results coming out

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin

Rookie question here.  Should there be anything in our BOL showing we are up this board?  

Guest FCC_Thawk
9 minutes ago, OrdieDevilDolphin said:

Rookie question here.  Should there be anything in our BOL showing we are up this board?  

Your profile sheet on navy advancement center will show you are eligible for the board. 

Guest osiris0107

Well...just took an amazing hike and off to the pool in a couple of hours. About to go back to work after a few weeks of leave and I feel great. I can't wait to find out who made it? The Seabees I think are keying in on more young blood because, they seem to have more of the motivation and hard charging talent, but you never know. All I know is that I TRUST those who are choosing their replacements and know they see things in people that us "who have never been chiefs" know what they need to get the job done. Hopefully my name is on that List because I am going to make sure pass chevrons to the next best man. 

"It is better to leave greater men in my position, then to leave as the greatest man"

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
17 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

Your profile sheet on navy advancement center will show you are eligible for the board. 

Yes I saw that, but should there be anything under selection boards on BOL?

Guest FCC_Thawk
1 minute ago, OrdieDevilDolphin said:

Yes I saw that, but should there be anything under selection boards on BOL?

It won't show until after the results have posted on BOL. 

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
8 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

It won't show until after the results have posted on BOL. 

I appreciate it

Guest HawkISback
6 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

You should feel like you can do the most good anywhere you are tasked with being. I was also an expeditionary Sailor and just came to the surface side(reluctantly). I felt like I was better suited as well for the austere, go hard mentality of the expeditionary world, but  I have learned this year, that leadership, motivation, and the desire to add value to others is its own environment! Focus on one thing at a time. Be selected, be humble, and be the great leader you are regardless of what platform or community you may find yourself in.

I see what your saying, I cannot speak for the CPO mess as I do not belong. However, the FCPO mess is typically viper den.  I like the EXE because it's about putting bullets on foreheads not typical careerism.  Not to say it's perfect but it's what you make of it. I acknowledge that I might not have a choice in my orders, but that's my preference. 

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, HawkISback said:

I see what your saying, I cannot speak for the CPO mess as I do not belong. However, the FCPO mess is typically viper den.  I like the EXE because it's about putting bullets on foreheads not typical careerism.  Not to say it's perfect but it's what you make of it. I acknowledge that I might not have a choice in my orders, but that's my preference. 

Do you think the FCPO mess is like that as a whole Navy wide or was it just ones that you happened to come across? I just found out something quite disturbing in my FCPO mess, well at least to me it was. 

Guest HawkISback
15 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

Do you think the FCPO mess is like that as a whole Navy wide or was it just ones that you happened to come across? I just found out something quite disturbing in my FCPO mess, well at least to me it was. 

I know it's not all of them, maybe it's just human nature. It's like bus stop central in some of them.   I never like wining at the expense of others.  Maybe it's just my own insecurities, idk.  I've been told by my mentors the the CPO mess is a lot different. Personally, once I put on anchors I'm going to be a grizzly bear for my guys. You mess with them at your own risk. 

Guest navyordie123
7 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

You know everyone wants to know what you found out. That's one of those statements that has everyone waiting to hear the dirt. :graphics-3d-smileys-177509:

ok so the breakdown is that we don't do CPO 365 and I said that we need to, we need to do it to bring the mess closer together and also it will bring us closer to the Chiefs Mess. Not a bad thing cause the Chiefs are our mentors and we need to be able to confide in them and bring issues up to them when they arise. Basically I was looked at like I was stupid cause I wanted to start 365, and the reason they didn't want to start it is because once we had 365 we had to tailor it to E-5s,E-4s, and then to E-3 and below and train them on what we went over and I was told that they didn't want to do that.