FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, Tony said:

In fact in reply to @navyordie123, I was going to ask everyone, what would you do if they posted the schedule today? You'd probably be on standby for some search and rescue...

If they posted it today then the tension would go through the roof and the Alert SAR would be flying. Medical emergency on vultures row and the flight deck. Gotta have stretcher bearers ready with Motrin and ordie band aids

Guest OldSalt
1 hour ago, navyordie123 said:

so does anyone else having this feeling of the quiet before the storm?

"quiet" is a word you can use for it. Once we know the release date I am sure most of us are going to be glued to this forum. I'm sure I will be. If we are going to be losing our minds waiting; better to do it together. Safety in numbers.

Guest OldSalt
1 hour ago, NavySAR said:

Since we're in the Navy, shouldn't they post a schedule for when the schedule will be posted?

Hahaha! Than we would all be stressing on when the schedule for the schedule would be coming out instead!;)

Guest navyordie123
5 minutes ago, OneLastDance said:

Hahaha! Than we would all be stressing on when the schedule for the schedule would be coming out instead!;)

Too much stress lol

Guest OldSalt
31 minutes ago, DeepSea5342 said:

Nothing like seeing that "11 days 11 hours"!!! I remember when it was 3 months away...Oh I feel like I was so young and had my whole life ahead of me back then :graphics-3d-smileys-177509: 

Yes the good old days. Back when all we had to worry about was if we were board eligible, or what to include in our Letter to the Board. I remember those day so fondly!:P

Guest OldSalt

So, to be serious for a second. In years past I would print out the BIB's and as many of the references as possible and put them into binders to help others study for the exam. And, encourage others to start studying now. Has anyone else done this?

Guest OldSalt
5 minutes ago, DeepSea5342 said:

I always printed out the BIBs and helped my guys study, yes.

That is good to hear. All to often I see people stop studying while they wait for results to come out. Than pick up the books again a few months before the exam, if that. I usually have my nose in an instruction or a manual. I try to get through to others that 1) there is just to much to get through in only a month or two. You have to start early. 2) If selected or not you are expected to know all this and more. We are going for a position that is expected to be the technical experts. You are not going to get there unless you are constantly studying and refreshing your memory. Its great you knew the information for the exam, but what happens when you need that knowledge when something happens (for lack of a better term) in real life?

20 minutes ago, OneLastDance said:

So, to be serious for a second. In years past I would print out the BIB's and as many of the references as possible and put them into binders to help others study for the exam. And, encourage others to start studying now. Has anyone else done this?

That's a fantastic idea. Another strategy is to look at your exam scores, and using the Bibs, study your weakest area first. Either way, pull your Bibs and look at them!

Guest OldSalt
5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Another strategy is to look at your exam scores, and using the Bibs, study your weakest area first

That is another good one. An add on to that I was given was to quickly go back over starting with your weakest area again a week or two before the exam.

Just now, OneLastDance said:

That is another good one. An add on to that I was given was to quickly go back over starting with your weakest area again a week or two before the exam.

I don't think two weeks is long enough because there is so much ground to cover but that's my two cents worth. Since it is the persons rate, I think they should start as soon as the Bibs come out. The added bonus is that it will benefit them if they are working in their rate. 

Guest OldSalt

Heard tell of a Chief that would go through the Bib's and pick something out of a random reference. Than go ask it to one of the sailors that he knew was going to be taking that exam. If they did not know the answer he would hand them the reference and have them read it till they found the answer.

Just now, OneLastDance said:

Heard tell of a Chief that would go through the Bib's and pick something out of a random reference. Than go ask it to one of the sailors that he knew was going to be taking that exam. If they did not know the answer he would hand them the reference and have them read it till they found the answer.

A Chief who cares.

Guest OldSalt
1 minute ago, Tony said:

I don't think two weeks is long enough because there is so much ground to cover but that's my two cents worth. Since it is the persons rate, I think they should start as soon as the Bibs come out. The added bonus is that it will benefit them if they are working in their rate. 

What I mean was you start studying as soon as the Bibs come out starting with your weakest area. Than a week or two out you quickly go back over it to get it refreshed in your mind.

Guest OldSalt
3 minutes ago, Tony said:

A Chief who cares.

Not sure if his people felt the same way. But, apparently it was effective. Got people studying.

Guest OldSalt
1 minute ago, Tony said:

Yeah, I guess you'd have to know the person to judge their intentions.

That is true. I also found that with time and experience your perspective on things can change. I for one know there was things my Chiefs did that I was not happy with at the time. But, looking back now I see that they made a right call. Or, at least I get what they were doing and maybe even why they did it that way.

Guest OldSalt
3 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Another good tool available now is the FMS calculator from NAC. Shows the last few cycles final multiple as well as letting someone input EVAL, TIR, Awards, and other items to kind of guesstimate where they should score in order to promote on the next exam cycle.

That is another good one! Doesn't it also break down to E-6 and below and another section for E-7 exams. I remember seeing one like that but could not remember where I found it. Thanks! Did not know you could bring up old multiples. May be a great way to show someone that is down about their chances that they actually do have a chance. Help build them back up!

Guest OldSalt
3 minutes ago, OS1/CCC said:

Is the wait over yet?

Not yet. But don't worry. We are nearly, almost, close to just about, mostly, kind of, right around, sort of in the neighborhood of getting there soon.

Guest navyordie123
6 minutes ago, OS1/CCC said:

Is the wait over yet?

Don't we all wish that it was. Think of it this way, it's the weekend and gotta try and enjoy it with our families and prepare as if we are going to make it. i know that's what I'm gonna do. But I know in the end of I don't hat it was some well deserved time with the family.

Guest OS1/CCC
1 minute ago, OneLastDance said:

Not yet. But don't worry. We are nearly, almost, close to just about, mostly, kind of, right around, sort of in the neighborhood of getting there soon.

Not as busy today, and it hit me that it is right around the corner. Got to keep myself busy so I don't have time to think about it. lol

Guest OS1/CCC
2 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

Don't we all wish that it was. Think of it this way, it's the weekend and gotta try and enjoy it with our families and prepare as if we are going to make it. i know that's what I'm gonna do. But I know in the end of I don't hat it was some well deserved time with the family.

I don't get that luxury of a weekend or family time. lol. Still on deployment technically doing RIMPAC. But the pending results outcome does impact how much I will see them when i get back here in a few weeks. 

Guest OS1/CCC
7 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

sorry for the double post. that was weird. lol

Guest OldSalt
23 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

letting someone input EVAL, TIR, Awards, and other items to kind of guesstimate where they should score

When I was getting down about taking the exam again I used this a little differently. I used it to find out where I would need to score on the exam. Than took that number and looked at my past performance on the exam. When I saw that my lowest score that I could find was still higher than that I was able to relax a little and get more quality study in.