FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest OJ451
1 hour ago, EOTW said:

Question for everyone, in my psr (active personnel summary) it doesnt have my ENL designator in the box, although every eval and award has my designator on it. Should I worry about this, or am I splitting hairs at this point?

9 minutes ago, IS1 said:

A Master Chief was reviewing my PSR and I had the same concern since I have three pins. He said the PSR only displays your most recent and not to worry about it as long as it’s in your evals.

I believe the PSR will show the last ENL designator received.  I have SW (Primary) from years ago and AW recently.  The PSR shows just AW.

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
On 7/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, MILSPOUSE01 said:

I'm sure hoping my husband will be an ASC (SEL) after next week!!! 🤞🤞

Good luck to your hubby. Lets us know how it turns out. I was selected last year and I am always here to offer advice if he needs it!!

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
On 7/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, AO1(AW/SW) said:

I would say the reason for me not getting selected is only having 1 E6 eval. I heard the board likes sailors to have at least almost 3-4 years TIR as an E6.

not true, I knew an ATC who made it in 4 years from an E2. Evals are about 90 percent of the decision that goes into selection. That write up is everything and it will make you or break you.

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
On 7/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, subguy10524 said:

I won’t get selected because I had straight P evals from 2010-2014 including a 1 of 1 MP special eval. Also missing my 14-1 PFA 

Following 2014 they got better, but not sure if i have enough sustained superior performance. 

Board only goes back 5 years. So anything before 2014 would not matter unless its really close between candidates and they need to find a tiebreaker.

Guest Machinist Capt Amer

I heard even with great evals that as an engineer if you don’t have an eoow letter you won’t be selected. Any thoughts?

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
19 hours ago, EMN1 said:

If I don't make it, it'll be because of the same reason I didn't make it last year, and wasn't eligible 2 years ago.

I got a #2/12 ranked EP when I made First Class for my frocking eval. I was scheduled to transfer in October, but my chiefs told me to extend because they were sure I was gonna get an EP. So I extended to get the November 15th eval ranked against everyone, and I ended up getting a ranked MP eval. Which made me ineligible for chief 2 years ago. If I would have taken a transfer 1/1 EP in October, I would have been eligible based on the previous Regular eval being an EP. That would have been 4 EP's in a row. Now before 20 people reply that transfer evals don't mean anything; I asked a Master Chief to review my record and told him about what happened. He told me that if I would have taken the transfer EP I would have been selected.

you do NOT need 4 eps to get selected. I have seen back to back Ps, EP's, MPs and natural progression all get selected. Its about your wrtie ups and natural progression. Those lines in the eval pretty much tell the board to either select you or not. You can have 10 EPs in a row but if the write up is bad, you wont get selected. I doubt that the reason you are not gettng selected is beacuse you got a ranked MP on your first eval as a first class. Most people get a P their first eval. Precepts and board guidance is what they select by, no one can tell you different.

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
6 hours ago, DoktaPhil said:

How much of a deal breaker are all the BPME, PPME, JPME, SEJPME, etc...? I've heard, "oh you didn't complete it so its not happening" , and "its not that big of a deal." 

its not a deal breaker but it is points you are missing from the "whole package". Board grades packages and they get a number. Total points are added up and they they are all ranked in order. There is a cutoff, but those first few cutoffs are looked at again. So yeah it can be a deal breaker and it also cannot. Those PPME's are graded as education points, so if you have a degree you will get points based on the level of degree you have. Its not a deal breaker but it is important to get as many points as possible for your package. Take this opportunity to work on those PPMEs. They are still looked at when you are up for Senior Chief also, so its worth the time and you learn something in the process. All of this is on the NPC website also, they have an extensive power point on the board selection process without giving away the secrets.

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
30 minutes ago, Machinist Capt Amer said:

I heard even with great evals that as an engineer if you don’t have an eoow letter you won’t be selected. Any thoughts?

That's not a true statement,  there are plenty of Engineers that have made chief without eoow 

Guest AO1(AW/SW)
47 minutes ago, ASC(AW/SW/IW) said:

not true, I knew an ATC who made it in 4 years from an E2. Evals are about 90 percent of the decision that goes into selection. That write up is everything and it will make you or break you.

Well that's good to know. I just don't think they will select me based on that. But I'm optimistic

Guest MILSPOUSE01
1 hour ago, ASC(AW/SW/IW) said:

Good luck to your hubby. Lets us know how it turns out. I was selected last year and I am always here to offer advice if he needs it!!

I definitely will. Time is standing still it seems. Haha He is not as positive as me, but I also think it's because he's getting tired of gettjng the 'N'. 

Guest MILSPOUSE01
2 hours ago, ASC(AW/SW/IW) said:

By the way .... congrats on making Chief last year! 

Guest Romeo Sierra One
2 hours ago, ASC(AW/SW/IW) said:

Board only goes back 5 years. So anything before 2014 would not matter unless its really close between candidates and they need to find a tiebreaker.

I thought since last cycle they go back further than 5 years even if not for tiebreaker scenarios? 

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
3 minutes ago, Sierra Hotel One said:

I thought since last cycle they go back further than 5 years even if not for tiebreaker scenarios? 

That's correct , only thing that applies withing 5 years is NJPs and pfa failures per the precepts. 

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
13 minutes ago, Sierra Hotel One said:

I’ve been explained by a master chief that has sat a board that they focus on last five years, the can go back father however if they go back more than five years it’s only to take positive information 

Guest Romeo Sierra One

GSE1 / Submarinecook1stclass

Thanks for the clarification. That's good to know if they're looking for positive info in your record.

Also lurkers please join us! 

Guest AO1(AW/SW)

I will believe the results coming out when NPC posts a message stating as such. Hell I talked to my Chief today and he said the results from when he could remember haven't been out in July in several years. When he made it he found out on the 5th of August. He told me the results were coming out soon. That was the word at my squadrons Chief meeting a couple of hours ago.

Guest PO1_LS

Had a long sit down with my chief this morning and he told me Wednesday changes nothing. The journey towards chief isn’t something defined by a list it’s the person behind the rank and their integrity. Felt good to have him pull me aside and impart this wisdom 

Guest AO1(AW/SW)
5 minutes ago, PO1_LS said:

Had a long sit down with my chief this morning and he told me Wednesday changes nothing. The journey towards chief isn’t something defined by a list it’s the person behind the rank and their integrity. Felt good to have him pull me aside and impart this wisdom 

Sounds like a good Chief!  I know as E6s we mostly all want to hit the pinnacle of our career (which is obviously putting khakis on during this time of the year) but for most may never see that. That doesn't mean that they are not ready. If I do get the N this year then its back to what I do best and that's motivate and take care of my sailors and making sure the mission is done right and on time every time.

Guest NachoMM1

Given how many people claim to have seen the infamous email, my money says that FLTCM walked away from his account and some YN3 just trolled the entire Navy. 

Guest Corpsman_Crystal
6 minutes ago, NachoMM1 said:

Given how many people claim to have seen the infamous email, my money says that FLTCM walked away from his account and some YN3 just trolled the entire Navy. 

What email? Did I miss something?!?!

13 minutes ago, Corpsman_Crystal said:

What email? Did I miss something?!?!

Supposedly an email claiming the results will come out Wed to TRIAD.

My first issue is that it came from FB and not a Navy source as is the usual way things work here. I'm losing my good sources...

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Supposedly an email claiming the results will come out Wed to TRIAD.

My first issue is that it came from FB and not a Navy source as is the usual way things work here. I loosing my good sources...

I feel like we would have heard concrete word by now if that were the case, I'm kind of hoping for a release next friday for personal reasons