FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest itdominance

good luck to everyone! Just received my fleet reserve orders for September. I always looked at not making Chief as a failure on my career but after doing phone and video interviews the past few weeks I have been able to move on from that POV. For those that never make it don't hang your hand. Be proud of where you are and for helping those around. MY first LPO an old crusty salt dog told me in 1996 "Always leave your command in a better place than when you got there", "always have a nice uniform, & always be five minutes early", " train yourself out of a job".   Follow those rules and you will succeed. Of course I listened only a little as I got out in 1999 after 4 years of service only to come back in a year later.

Fair Winds & following seas as this is my last post!

1 hour ago, itdominance said:

good luck to everyone! Just received my fleet reserve orders for September. I always looked at not making Chief as a failure on my career but after doing phone and video interviews the past few weeks I have been able to move on from that POV. For those that never make it don't hang your hand. Be proud of where you are and for helping those around. MY first LPO an old crusty salt dog told me in 1996 "Always leave your command in a better place than when you got there", "always have a nice uniform, & always be five minutes early", " train yourself out of a job".   Follow those rules and you will succeed. Of course I listened only a little as I got out in 1999 after 4 years of service only to come back in a year later.

Best of luck to you in all of your future endeavors.

Guest SandcrabCTT
2 hours ago, itdominance said:

Amen... "itdominance" I am there with ya'... this is my last shot and if it doesn't happen then it was not meant to be, I'll be retiring next summer if I'm not selected.  There is a bigger plan for me and for you no matter what.  I had several LPO's from my past both on active duty and now reserve component state the same wisdom to me as your LPO made known to you.  You can always keep your head held high, knowing that you did a superb job well done good servant and that you finished the race strong for your sailors, leadership, and the Navy family as a whole! 

Fair Winds and following seas to you and your family Shipmate!

SandcrabCTT

Guest Johnny31874
8 hours ago, itdominance said:

Fair winds and following seas, Shipmate! 

Guest Art Vandelay

Quick question, I my PCM just received results from my MRI for my lower back, has referred me to a neurosurgeon, so I guess it warrants surgery of some type, and some recovery time, will this surgery cause me to lose orders to Bahrain, I'm set to roll this month, I already received my EOT and my transfer is already written, the timing of this could not be any worse, what happens next? My report date to Bahrain in NLT 30 Jul, and I don't want to be stuck in my current duty station because it will take me past 4 years and if I don't put on Chief this summer I don't want this to look like I was skating when I'm up for board next summer.

Guest NAVYGUY209

So now the waiting game begins. I will say though, I went back at looked at the forum from last year and there was some really good advice in there. Good luck to everyone

Guest navyordie123

So anyone want to try and guess how many pages we can get to this year before and after the results come out? I think last year it go to 110.

Guest OldSalt
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:02 AM, itdominance said:

This is my last chance as well. I had looked at not making Chief the same as you did for a long time. But, thanks to some of the same advise you shared and getting some salt of my own I realized that no matter what I could keep my head up. I had done what I could to take care of sailors, did what needed to be done, and did what was right. I think that is one of the biggest lessons to learn even for those that don't make it. And, what makes everyone that truly strives to get the anchors better in the long run. It is that moment when it stops being about getting an advancement, more money, or even awards. And, when what we do is about others (our sailors, our peers, our superiors), doing what needs to be done, and doing what is right becomes the driving motivators behind our actions, and decisions.

Fair Winds and Following Seas Shipmate!

44 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Leaders are not defined by rank or title and service and sacrifice aren't measured against a paygrade. Thanks to both of you for your service to our country and your dedication to EVERY  Sailor. I am putting a link to a great talk on leadership below. Hope you enjoy.

Folks, that is an awesome video. If you get a chance please watch, even if you are years away from being a leader, you will benefit... BBb)

Guest navyordie123

Awesome Video!! Definitely will make you think about what kind of leader that you are and how to make yourself a better leader. he hit the nail on the head, leadership shows no rank at all, leadership is different from authority. Take care of your own and they will take care of you. Lets make the best of the years that we have left in this great military and lead our sailors the right way.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
On 6/7/2016 at 8:43 AM, Art Vandelay said:

Quick question, I my PCM just received results from my MRI for my lower back, has referred me to a neurosurgeon, so I guess it warrants surgery of some type, and some recovery time, will this surgery cause me to lose orders to Bahrain, I'm set to roll this month, I already received my EOT and my transfer is already written, the timing of this could not be any worse, what happens next? My report date to Bahrain in NLT 30 Jul, and I don't want to be stuck in my current duty station because it will take me past 4 years and if I don't put on Chief this summer I don't want this to look like I was skating when I'm up for board next summer.

I would wait until you see the neurosurgeon and let him explain what type of treatment plan is needed, then I would talk with your detailer should surgery be necessary. This happen to me a few years ago during my PCS , I was placed on MEDHOLD when I was diagnose with cancer, I wanted to keep my orders because I thought it would be a career killer if I didn't . My Detailer just extended my orders until my treatment was complete and then I went on to my next command. This maybe and option for you.  R/HM1

Guest Art Vandelay
2 minutes ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

I would wait until you see the neurosurgeon and let him explain what type of treatment plan is needed, then I would talk with your detailer should surgery be necessary. This happen to me a few years ago during my PCS , I was placed on MEDHOLD when I was diagnose with cancer, I wanted to keep my orders because I thought it would be a career killer if I didn't . My Detailer just extended my orders until my treatment was complete and then I went on to my next command. This maybe and option for you.  R/HM1

Thanks, it is likely that surgery is the route, but if so I appreciate your advice because I'm pulling my hair out over here worried about making Chief and losing orders.

Guest FTS PS1

Im calculating 19 more days until the results are released for FTS.  My next week is pretty booked with travel and what not, but the week after is gonna be brutal. My orders are in advancement results limbo right now lol

Guest SeaBeeDoc
3 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Thanks, it is likely that surgery is the route, but if so I appreciate your advice because I'm pulling my hair out over here worried about making Chief and losing orders.

No worries, I hope you will get the help you need, I just recently had knee surgery, my Chiefs at my command said if selected that they would modify stuff as needed during phase II since I am still going through rehab. I am sure they will do the same for you, good luck!

Guest SeaBeeDoc
6 minutes ago, FTS PS1 said:

Im calculating 19 more days until the results are released for FTS.  My next week is pretty booked with travel and what not, but the week after is gonna be brutal. My orders are in advancement results limbo right now lol

In the last 5 yrs, the results have come out between the 20 of June and the 1st or 2nd week of July. Last year the results were not released until 8 July.

Guest Sailor#1

I heard that FTS and SELRES results are supposed to come out sooner this time... This week.... the latest news I ve heard.... Anyone heard anything???

Guest CTN_IDW
19 minutes ago, Sailor#1 said:

I heard that FTS and SELRES results are supposed to come out sooner this time... This week.... the latest news I ve heard.... Anyone heard anything???

Your kill me smalls... Why you doin this to me?   hahaha

Guest EXW-ET

Well, Here I am again, first post this cycle. Looking forward to the convening order this week prior to the 20th. Best of Luck to all.

Guest TRON828

Haven't heard anything.. Still waiting.. It would be a great reason to party for the 4th..Today we frocked the Sailors who made rank.. I had 9 rank up... 2 PO1's, 2 PO2's & 5 PO3's.. My division advanced the most in the command.. They took care of business and it payed off..A great way to end a successfully:Dtour at Vanguard..

Guest navyordie123
44 minutes ago, USAF2USN said:

Recorders just convened today.

why do they convene earlier than the rest of the board?

Guest Sailor#1

So - I always thought that Phase 2 starts as soon as you find out you made it... Yesterday at PB4T I saw that phase 2 starts Aug 1st. So if we find out on June 20th we made it, we don't do anything until Aug 1st??? Or continue with phase 1 until then???

Guest SandcrabCTT
55 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

When I was with an expeditionary unit our FTS and reserves did do some phase II stuff before the active results came out. It also depends on when you go through your CPO Selectee Training course which is mandatory before starting phase II. Some command do not want to facilitate the course more than once. Either way as Donkey racer stated, take the time and prepare now. If you aren't doing PT like you should now would be the time to condition yourself. Also, take the time now to enjoy your family. 

Great input CPO_Pride247 I VERY appreciate this!  I'm still finishing up my Phase I Sections 1/2 before the results come out for the FTS/SELRES side of the house.  I know that there really isn't a right or wrong answer with regard to the reading assignments but could I get your take on what/how my opinions should be documented for the reading selections?  I don't have to write a novel for each selection do I?  Thanks again....