FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest navyordie123
52 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

If I can recommend a book to you, it is called Start With Why by Simon Sinek. A lot of people know what they do and how they do it, but never find out at the core, WHY. I think it would help you be a success no matter where you are. The book along with Leaders Eat Last really helped me become a better leader and person. Plus, what better way to kill time for the next month or so than some good ole fashioned personal development.

I saw the video before and it was awesome. Great way to think about things and how a leader should act and care themselves. Also read message to Garcia which is a great read. Makes you really think hard about somethings 

Guest SeaBeeDoc

First of all, here's wishing all my active duty brother's and sisters the best you have done your part it's in the boards hands now let the anticipation begin! For my fellow FTS brothers and Sisters and fellow Reservists our wait is nearly over. This is the first time that I feel that like this might be the year! A positive attitude brings positive results! That's my story and I am sticking to it lol! 

Guest EM_UNO

First off, congrats to all those that made board and good luck. This is only my second time up BUT I think I have a good a shot as any.... Down from 29 to 21%. I will look at it as 1 out of every 5 people. Makes it sounds a little better! Lol....

Do have a question. I know there are specifics (of course) to how the whole EP, MP, P outlook when it comes to the board but would a NOB to a #2MP (same trait average as #1) to a #2EP (not SOY, but SOQ and same trait average as #1 also) be considered as breakout evals? Additional info, competition is usually anywhere from 38 to 50 First classes in DDG....

Guest FTS PS1
1 hour ago, Thwayne said:

How heavily is SOY looked at by the board?

I was the SOY at my command last year and we had 8 PO1s.  I just look at it like #1 EP and SOY are both personal goals that don't mean anything without a strong write up.  It's no secret that some SOY recipients are at the right place at the right time or may be really good at putting on a show.  I am a cause and effect kind of guy (did this which caused this and effected mission this way). It's like they say, it is not always the EP sailors that make it.  

Guest FTS PS1
49 minutes ago, EM_UNO said:

First off, congrats to all those that made board and good luck. This is only my second time up BUT I think I have a good a shot as any.... Down from 29 to 21%. I will look at it as 1 out of every 5 people. Makes it sounds a little better! Lol....

Do have a question. I know there are specifics (of course) to how the whole EP, MP, P outlook when it comes to the board but would a NOB to a #2MP (same trait average as #1) to a #2EP (not SOY, but SOQ and same trait average as #1 also) be considered as breakout evals? Additional info, competition is usually anywhere from 38 to 50 First classes in DDG....

I like that methodology of breaking down the numbers.  We have 8 quotas for 114 people so every 1 in 14 will make it.  I definitely like my chances this time but I did a couple cycles ago as well...lol...Shored up a couple of eval issues and hopefully I had what they wanted to see.  Next week should be it for FTS. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Guest EM_UNO
37 minutes ago, FTS PS1 said:

I like that methodology of breaking down the numbers.  We have 8 quotas for 114 people so every 1 in 14 will make it.  I definitely like my chances this time but I did a couple cycles ago as well...lol...Shored up a couple of eval issues and hopefully I had what they wanted to see.  Next week should be it for FTS. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Glad to see you got those eval issues squared away. I had the same problems last year but got all mine ironed out and didn't have to send so much in this time. Good luck on those results! I know for yall, it's right around the corner. For me, it's another month and a half (aka FOREVER) till we see anything. 

Guest Thwayne
1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

SOY is looked at. The board will look at the last EVAL you received before getting the SOY and see how many FCPOs you are competing against. Obviously the more people you competed against is weighed more than if you were competing with let's say 8 people. This is true of your EVALS as well. I would rather be number 4 of 50 than number 1 of 5. The other part of SOY is how far did you make it in the boards. Did you make it up through your ICIS or to the fleet? Also, does your SOY correlate with your EVAL?

My eval supports SOY. #1 out of 36. Also my primary duty is listed as a chief. Hoping that helps. On the way out got a COM. Wondering how much that'll be looked at. 

Guest 343SBE
13 hours ago, Thwayne said:

My guess is that it's looked at to a certain degree with a lot of factors going in to it.  How many were you competing against, what level did you compete at, what does your EVAL write up and award say, etc.  For me I was the SOY for my command, and then I won SOY at the group level and then competed at the Force level and my award states where I was a finalist at.

Guest TRON828

What's going on today in here?...left the Mighty Vanguard yesterday:unsure:.. I'll miss that place..just like someone said in this forum before" I left it better than when I got there".Whether I make it or not this year.. I know I led from the deck plates.. And it showed through out the command. Like I always told my guys.."CAN'T FLY WITHOUT AVI:D" Now it's time to take some much needed leave and get ready for another adventure..if I get that phone call....BBb)

Guest SeaBeeDoc

LSHARP said "FTS here we got an email today from on of the Chiefs telling all board eligible a to do a PARFQ and that results were anticipated between 23-30 June. So my 30 Jun prediction my be right"

I was wondering has anyone else heard when the results were anticipated?? I think this thread would be going crazy if it was this week.  It would be great if it was next week because it will give  us one more stress free weekend to enjoy.

Guest SandcrabCTT
1 minute ago, Donkey Racer said:

I am only going off of what I have heard so do not take this as gospel. I have heard through reliable sources that the FTS/Selres results will be out.....soon! Ha ha.

Good luck!

Ahhh man.... here we go!!!! hahahahaha.... :D:rolleyes:

What is the impact of any of the recommended duties block 41? I've had CPO in there and I've also had other duty recommendations. On an early E5 eval the only recommendation they gave me was sea duty. Not my best eval. 

7 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Block 41 is your tool for what you want to accomplish in your career. Think about it, do you want to be an RDC, LDO, LCPO at Sea, CMDCS, and so on. When your records are reviewed for various programs block 41 will come into play and have an impact. If your CO is recommending you for these items then this means the CO has confidence you are able to carry out the task, mission, or role.

So as far as the selection board less Impactful. 

CPO_Pride247 thanks for your feedback. I've been using the block for just that ensuring that my command put duties I am actually interested in on there. I was recommended for detailer duty on last eval. I know some people say you want to have CPO in that block. 

Guest 343SBE
2 hours ago, Donkey Racer said:

At the end of the day it is your eval. When you put your signature on it you are testifying that you agree with the recommendations. Don't allow yourselves or other leadership to misuse the eval system. There are few things which you have control over and this is one of them.

Be the Best Leader You Can Be!

Thanks CPO_PRIDE247 

That information is not correct.  From BUPERSINST 1610.10D, it states, The member's signature does not imply agreement with the report, but merely certifies the member has seen the report and understands their right to submit a statement.

Guest 343SBE
3 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

And to add on it is at the EVAL signing time that you should voice any concerns at stated above. @Donkey Racer was trying to get each of you to start thinking about the role each of you plays in your own EVAL process. It is important to know now because once you start becoming the rater for your junior sailors you will be the one needing to correct evals, kick them back, as well as be able to explain the eval system to them. He obviously is doing his job because it got you in the instruction..

I'm a YN, I'm always in some type of instruction lol

Guest 343SBE
2 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Trust me, being in the LCS program without a YN in our crew keeps me in them too! Plus, it is always good to know the basics on a lot of different things. It is funny because I had reviewed an FCPO record where the person marked they intend to submit a statement, but never submitted the statement. No where in the EVAL instruction does it mention marking and then not sending. All it says is the amount of time you have regardless of whether you choose to submit one or not. Then shortly after I received my first ever non-designate person from boot camp and had to figure out the start date for the EVAL. Turns out it is the day a person graduates boot camp for all newly reporting personnel. Learn something new daily if you can.

Chief I can believe that.  I wasn't trying to come sideways at Donkey Racer, just letting him know that the signature didn't mean that the person was agreeing with the eval.  I concur with you that it is good to know the basics because that's where it all starts. As anyone moves up the ranks they'll have to know evals and awards if they're going to be able to take care of their personnel.

Guest Admin_warrior

First time up for chief as a PS, does anyone know of being a prior rate hurts during the process? I was a prior OS. I was told by a PSCM that this could only help me because it is not a traditional career path.

Guest LS1(EXW/SCW)

Here is a question for wishful thinking... I am SELRES at a civilian school for ADT with the nearest NOSC over 60 miles away, and recruiting station is like 30 miles away.  If I get selected, what possible scenario could happen for me to complete Phase II and still do my training 50-60 hours a week?  There are no other Navy personnel here.  One Chief told me I may have to do Phase II next year.