FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest DirtSailor
1 hour ago, LS1(EXW/SCW) said:

Here is a question for wishful thinking... I am SELRES at a civilian school for ADT with the nearest NOSC over 60 miles away, and recruiting station is like 30 miles away.  If I get selected, what possible scenario could happen for me to complete Phase II and still do my training 50-60 hours a week?  There are no other Navy personnel here.  One Chief told me I may have to do Phase II next year.

No different than the other reserve sailors living at least that distance, if not further from any NOSC with civilian jobs.  

Guest LS1(EXW/SCW)
13 minutes ago, DirtSailor said:

No different than the other reserve sailors living at least that distance, if not further from any NOSC with civilian jobs.  

So possibly just doing stuff on  the weekend you assume?  I thought reserve sailors would get AT/ADT orders and complete Phase II.  Civilian employers have to let you of work when you have orders.  This school is for a skill I need for an upcoming deployment that can't be rescheduled.  I was just really thrown off when the Chief said today, that the class will come first and Phase II may have to be next year.  

Guest Dusten
8 hours ago, DeepSea5342 said:

Are you asking if I was ranked #1 at my command? The command I was stationed at only gave someone the #1 if they were also SOY. It doesn't make sense to say someone is a SOY and NOT the #1, right? So to answer that, yes, SOY and #1 out of 34 FCPOs. Although, as for the boards I only made it to the next tier. I was beat out by an HM who was the Dept Head for the entire medical department, and he honestly deserved it. Thanks for chiming in though jefe! You always put out great advice!

I was #1 two years in a row, but no SSOY to years in a row.

I can also say that while SSOY helps, it is not a golden ticket.  sustained superior performance trumps all.  I had gone to mast in 11 and won SSOY in 14.  It wasn't enough to push me over the edge.  A second #1 EP(DDG, 38 FCPO's) finally got me over the hump.  So while people sit back and debate this verbage, that verbage, breaking out and SSP are the biggest keys.

Guest NAVYGUY209
21 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Block 41 is your tool for what you want to accomplish in your career. Think about it, do you want to be an RDC, LDO, LCPO at Sea, CMDCS, and so on. When your records are reviewed for various programs block 41 will come into play and have an impact. If your CO is recommending you for these items then this means the CO has confidence you are able to carry out the task, mission, or role.

So another chief looked at my evals and noticed something about block 41 that I didn't. On my transfer eval is has Instructor duty in block 1 and Assignment in Rate in block 2. Will this effect anything? He also mentioned that my designators were being flopped around on my evals. Some have AW/SW and others have SW/AW but I think that is just because of the command I am at

Guest SeaBeeDoc
10 hours ago, LS1(EXW/SCW) said:

Here is a question for wishful thinking... I am SELRES at a civilian school for ADT with the nearest NOSC over 60 miles away, and recruiting station is like 30 miles away.  If I get selected, what possible scenario could happen for me to complete Phase II and still do my training 50-60 hours a week?  There are no other Navy personnel here.  One Chief told me I may have to do Phase II next year.

I seen it happen a few times where a reservist ended up completing Phase II the following season due to their civilian job, it depends on your NOSC as to when they plan to kick off the season. Some will wait until August after the active duty results come out, however if  that happens don't assume that you will just sit and wait until then, expect busy drill weekends and long nights after class/ work. Ultimately, it will be best to complete  Phase  II if at all possible. Most reservist take  Non Paid Additional Drill orders just be upfront with everyone concerning your circumstance.

Guest FTS PS1
15 hours ago, Admin_warrior said:

First time up for chief as a PS, does anyone know of being a prior rate hurts during the process? I was a prior OS. I was told by a PSCM that this could only help me because it is not a traditional career path.

I know that path all too well.  I was an OS2 before I chose to cross rate to PS FTS through pts back in 2005.  I have always felt like that provides me an upperhand in the sense that I am performing at a high level in a rate that I have not always been in.  Diversity and well rounded.  Best decision I ever made, but I do at times wonder where I would be now had I stayed OS.

Guest SeaBeeDoc

Two quick questions for the Chief's, I have always heard that Phase II, Chief's Indoctrination, or Chief's initiation as it use to be called, is to break you down and build you back up, (I personally believe it is more to it than that). I have also understand that Phase II is not mandatory  because at the end of the day once you have been selected you will still put on those anchors on 15 September, however it is highly encouraged.  I have been told in the past if you choose not to go through the training you are not part of the Mess and just another E7.  So my question is without giving away any of your secrets what is the difference between the phases?  The other question is what has been done in previous seasons to incorporate those individuals who are currently on medical LIMDU  or light duty who can't obviously do the run's or have to modify their PT and bring them into the fold with the rest of the selects? I ask this because I am one of those individuals(post total knee replacement). This morning we had a 365 PT run and I was stuck behind walking the track. This totally sucked not being part of that Moto Run.  My Chief has insured me that they would work around my limitations so hopefully if I do get selected it will not be like it was this morning  or it will make for a very boring season

Guest EM_UNO
On 6/20/2016 at 4:10 PM, EM_UNO said:

First off, congrats to all those that made board and good luck. This is only my second time up BUT I think I have a good a shot as any.... Down from 29 to 21%. I will look at it as 1 out of every 5 people. Makes it sounds a little better! Lol....

Do have a question. I know there are specifics (of course) to how the whole EP, MP, P outlook when it comes to the board but would a NOB to a #2MP (same trait average as #1) to a #2EP (not SOY, but SOQ and same trait average as #1 also) be considered as breakout evals? Additional info, competition is usually anywhere from 38 to 50 First classes in DDG....

Had posted this earlier in the Forum.... Just wondering if anybody else has any thoughts or any advice from what they have seen before....

Guest navyordie123

I think the biggest disappointment out of the whole not getting selected part is the fact like CPO_Pride247 stated that the non selects get tossed to the wayside and forgotten about til the next board eligible results come out.  I don't know how everyone else's mentorship program works but I wasn't able to pick mine, they were assigned to me. I also feel like it's a disappointment when the results come out and the only way that you are notified is if you make it. Why don't more Chiefs Messes sit down and talk with the non Selects and figure out a plan for them. Because I know that not all Chiefs made it first time up and have the same feelings that we have we they didn't make it. It is that some Chiefs forgot what it's like to be in our shoes and only care if they get to have fun during the season with new selects?

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I am hoping with the new MCPON's guidance this will change. This being my first chance to actually run a Phase II, I am making the changes I have always wanted to see. One of the things that our non-select mentors (sponsors) will be doing is conducting an immediate CDB and record review along with weekly mentoring sessions to develop Phase I PQS and time within those sessions allotted for nothing but mentoring. Ever year we are trying to make the entire process better. If you have ideas or suggestions or want to see something happen don't be afraid to bring it up. The Navy and everything in it gets better because of people with new ideas who are also willing to work and get them implemented. And to answer your questions, no, not all Chiefs forget what its like to be in your shoes. If you want contact me directly and I will send our POAM to your CMDCM to see if they are interested in using it.

I was speaking of my command as far as the mentor being picked for me, and it has happened at other commands as well, not just ones I have been apart of. As far as everything else I spoke on, it is something that I have spoken with other first classes from different commands that have run into some of the same issues as I have before. And I didn't say all Chiefs, I said some. I know not all have forgotten because there are a lot of great Chiefs out there that I have had that have helped people after non-selection and helped gotten them ready for the next year. I have great Chiefs at my command that have done that 

Guest SeaBeeDoc
13 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

If you haven't done so I would highly encourage you to read the new MCPON's guidance that @Tony put a few pages ago. Phase II and Phase I are both now mandatory. There isn't an option not to go through Phase II. I can't speak for any other commands out there but where I am we have an entirely separate set of Chiefs set aside to workout and do PT with the light duty folks. Someone pointed out a few pages ago that they were already being asked to turn in a PARFQ. This is so careful planning and consideration can go into meeting the physical needs of the selectees throughout eveyr portion of Phase II. The MCPON has also tasked the Chief's mess with taking all non-selectees and assigning them a mentor to develop the Phase I PQS for next year. This is another area where in my command we already have mentors on standby and a plan to meet weekly with the non-selects and creat the PQS for Phase I. I am happy about this because I feel like we toss non-selects aside every year and that's not the way it should be. That's my personal opinion so don't take it as anything else.

As for breaking you down and building you back up... That would be pointless. You are selected for Chief because of proven performance and the belief that you are ready to perform as a Chief Petty Officer. No one is going to try and alter that. I hope I have answered most of your questions or covered any concerns. I don't think I can say too much more without spoiling anything for you.

Thanks Chief for the information, I went back and read the MCPON's guidance and it answered a lot of the questions for me. I did not realized that Phased II was mandatory now.  Lessoned learned here is to go the source as always, the  MCPON's guidance is a great read, thanks again.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
13 hours ago, Tony said:

I posted it in a new thread for good measure and quick access :). -> 

Thanks Tony, it was a good read and answered some of my questions!

13 minutes ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

Thanks Tony, it was a good read and answered some of my questions!

It's cool, thanks. @CPO_Pride247 is the one who keeps bringing this career "must read" up so I'm only facilitating!

I wonder if we could make our "Required Reading" list on this forum for those going up for Chief? 

:5260:

Guest Sailor#1

I know everyone probably is waiting patiently for these results but I am not!!! Anyone heard anything of when FTS/SELRES results are coming out????

Wow, it has been a while. I am glad I still remember my user name and password after hibernating for over a year. For all the old timers here, Dogg is back! Good luck to all FTS/SELRES awaiting results, and thanks Tony for  leaving my account active after a long leave of absence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Have you seen the personal history tab on CMSID? Detailers see your EVAL history as well as your PMA. This also allows commands you are applying to, to log in and see what kind of Sailor you are. I was rejected from a high vis staff command because they felt I didn't have enough of the NEC's they wanted and didn't want to wait for me to go to school. Look at your personal history tab and you can see how you look to detailers. A detailer's job is to ensure the most qualified and best Sailors are put in the right positions. I am not saying this is happening all the time, but it should be.

Welcome back @Dogg  Sorry the accounts got deleted too. Have had some serious issues with this forum software. Glad to see you back.

:5308: 

1 hour ago, Sailor#1 said:

I know everyone probably is waiting patiently for these results but I am not!!! Anyone heard anything of when FTS/SELRES results are coming out????

Looks like next week is the popular belief right now. Selectees are usually given the opportunity to enjoy the 72 4th of July weekend before phase II kicks off. My guess right now is TRIAD release next Wed and full results on Thursday. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Welcome back @Dogg  Sorry the accounts got deleted too. Have had some serious issues with this forum software. Glad to see you back.

:5308: 

Thanks Tony. My account was not deleted; I was glad to just log in without any issues.

• Like 1

The below are two "fictional" lists being made for Sailors going up for Chief. Obviously there is no real "required reading" or "to do" but you get the picture. 

Now some may say "It's too late this FY" but here's the deal... If you make Chief you will now have something to pass on to your troops. If you don't, well, is there anything on these lists that you were not aware of, or need to read? Arm yourself with knowledge.

I got this idea from reading @CPO_Pride247's posts. :5260:

Can you add to the list?

If this pans out, and the list grows,  I'll make one or two PDF files for quick download.

CPO Required Reading List

• (FY) CPO 365 Guidance

CPO "To Do" Check List

• (Can this be worded better?) Log into CMSID, go to your personal history tab and see how your history looks to detailers. If you have a weak spot, such as school, make an effort to attend that school.

Guest LS1(EXW/SCW)

Here is my opinion for FTS/SELRES results.  The strong rumor I have been told is that results will be out prior to July 4th.  So I also agree with the above:  Wednesday is TRIAD, and Thursday is public.  I am also hoping Navy Advancement posts on FB Monday or Tuesday of the timeline.  

8 hours ago, Tony said:

• (FY) CPO 365 Guidance

CPO "To Do" Check List

• (Can this be worded better?)

I'm assuming this list is to help you prepare yourself/your record for the board

• Last year's precept and convening order (maybe last 2)
  • The selection board/recorder training that gets brought up every year
  • Anything that has to do with communication to the board (mostly the NAVADMIN and associated ref's)

CPO "To Do" Check List

• We received a step-by-step guide early this year, I'll have to dig it up an PM it to you.

8 minutes ago, ~Squidly said:

I'm assuming this list is to help you prepare yourself/your record for the board

• Last year's precept and convening order (maybe last 2)
  • The selection board/recorder training that gets brought up every year
  • Anything that has to do with communication to the board (mostly the NAVADMIN and associated ref's)

CPO "To Do" Check List

• We received a step-by-step guide early this year, I'll have to dig it up an PM it to you.

Thanks, yes this is a list to help the Sailor (them self) prepare their records for the board. So anyone who makes it can still find this useful by giving the lists to the people who work for them. Thanks again. :) 

Just now, CPO_Pride247 said:

Those are both worded correctly. I love it!!

Okay, thanks. I'm making a word doc with additions and then I'll make some PDFs. All input is welcome. Also, researching @~Squidly's input, I did not know there is an actual training module for the recorders/ board members. 

:bigemo_harabe_net-85: 

• Like 1