FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest LS1(EXW/SCW)

So my command never really does CPO365.  It always gets cancelled and so forth.  Therefore, the PQS is nowhere near complete.  Any advice or suggestions?  I plan on completing it myself and getting signatures.

Guest SandcrabCTT
22 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SCW) said:

So my command never really does CPO365.  It always gets cancelled and so forth.  Therefore, the PQS is nowhere near complete.  Any advice or suggestions?  I plan on completing it myself and getting signatures.

So LS1(EXW/SCW) if you are waiting for the FTS/SELRES results to come out, if you do not have any of your PQS signed off I would reach out to Chiefs (Senior and Master also) in your command and/or NOSC and get some 1:1 time with them to get areas signed off in Phase 1 Section 1/2.  Go through the sections, there are no wrong or right answers but there is your honest input. 

Guest LS1(EXW/SCW)

Roger that, I hate to make excuses, but since 2013 during deployment we didn't do it.  Now the NOSC always cancels.  I have the PQS book now, and will be knocking it out.  Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, I am anxiously awaiting the SELRES results.  I feel very confident this year.  I have JPME, PPME, Master's Degree, warfare pins, OIF & OEF, current LPO with EP eval assigned to NSW, and current UAV operator.  Not sure what else I can do at this point to be more competitive.  

Good luck to all!!!

2 hours ago, LSHARP said:

What is the exact guidance on the CPO365 PQS completion prior to selection?

10 minutes ago, LSHARP said:

Yea I have read that before, I guess I worded my question wrong. It doesn't state when the CPO 365 PQS must be complete. 

I think you worded it correctly. I was just adding that as a replacement to the post I deleted.  BBb)

So if anyone could expand on the question from LSHARP, I'd appreciate it

"What is the exact guidance on the CPO365 PQS completion prior to selection?"

Guest SandcrabCTT
4 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

There isn't an exact guidance on the Phase I PQS completion. Most people will not complete it prior to phase II and that's ok. The program is meant to be 365 so that training that is missed one year can be completed the next. Trust me, you are going to start Phase II with or without a completed Phase I PQS. At my command we did create a qualification sheet similar to what you would find on a 3M qualification that is routed up. This was done for those FCPOs that went above and beyond to gain all their sign offs in the PQS. Realistically speaking, not every topic will be given to every person due to training, mission, and leave so don't worry too much about completing the whole PQS. Unless your command has made it a requirement, continue to work on it, but don't try and rush it.

This is good input  CPO_Pride247... at my NOSC it is a requirement, recommended, and preferred to have Phase 1 Sections 1/2 completed prior to the list coming out with the selectees.  It has been communicated to me that not every selectee in the past has had a completed Phase 1 section 1/2 and that usually a "consequence" is communicated.  No matter... once Phase 2 starts all of the CPODG will be completed before pinning....  :)

9 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

There isn't an exact guidance on the Phase I PQS completion. Most people will not complete it prior to phase II and that's ok. The program is meant to be 365 so that training that is missed one year can be completed the next. Trust me, you are going to start Phase II with or without a completed Phase I PQS. At my command we did create a qualification sheet similar to what you would find on a 3M qualification that is routed up. This was done for those FCPOs that went above and beyond to gain all their sign offs in the PQS. Realistically speaking, not every topic will be given to every person due to training, mission, and leave so don't worry too much about completing the whole PQS. Unless your command has made it a requirement, continue to work on it, but don't try and rush it.

Great feedback. 

Guest SandcrabCTT
2 minutes ago, Donkey Racer said:

Probably and most likely the week of July 4th. Could be sooner but doubtful. Are you Ready?

Agree... I looked at the last couple of cycles and the SELRES/FTS results were posted right after July 4th...

Guest SandcrabCTT
2 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

PARFQ is required for all board eligibles so those with medical issues can be identified and PT can be tailored to help them. We had our active duty turn in PARFQ by June 1st. I want to tell you all not to be anxious and get caught up in guessing when the results will come out, but I know from experience that it is impossible. I will challenge you to look past getting selected and look at the realization that you are about to work harder as Chief than you worked to become a Chief. Don't be a person who feels like they have arrived and quit. Wok harder and show your Sailors what it means to wear anchors.

Preach, preach, preach!!!  And I say Amen to that! Thanks CPO_Pride247 for the encouragement.

Guest SandcrabCTT
14 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

One of the things that I like about this year's guidance for 365 is that non-selectees will work with assigned mentors to develop next year's PQS for phase I. I have always felt like we drop the ball in regards to keeping the 365 mentorship for ALL FCPOs going during phase II. I think this has a chance to really benefit those who weren't selected and give them the ownership on what they want to put in the new PQS and get from the CPOs. We have already developed a plan and a schedule to make this happen at our command this year and hopefully most commands will follow suit. With that being said, if you are selected be sure to encourage those who weren't and let them know their opportunity will come too. Lastly, be humble and don't take anything personal when your time comes.

Roger that Chief agree, if selected to me transition time is the time to be honest, be open, make the mistakes and learn from them, don't take things personal because once those anchors are pinned it will show that you have been tried and tested. Humble pie goes a long way as I have seen in a previous post. 

Guest SeaBeeDoc

I am wondering exactly how many pages there are ? I see 20 pages before I signed in but after I logged in there was only 19 pages just curious ?

1 hour ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

I am wondering exactly how many pages there are ? I see 20 pages before I signed in but after I logged in there was only 19 pages just curious ?

There's 19. It'a a caching issue with this software. Sometimes you also need to refresh twice. I can not wait to switch software but it is a while before that happens due to time constraints.

Guest SandcrabCTT
1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Once you put on your khakis start to look at the different programs that are only available to E7 to E9. The advanced education voucher will pay for you to get a master's degree. You can actually go and be a recorder at a selection board and see how the process works. You can write exams for your rating at the Advancement Exam Readiness Review (AERR). I am here now writing the LS exam and developing exams for the next few years and I can honestly say I had no idea the amount of work and effort that went into these exams. I also didn't realize I have a lot more to learn about my rate.

Chief does this apply to the SELRES side of the house since I'm a SELRES? 

Guest navyordie123

Thank you for that, I didn't know if the Order and Membership would come out before the board started. so another question with the Retention board not convening this year, would it have an affect on the quotas for this E-7 cycle or would that be next year?

Guest navyordie123

rhanks for the info ET1IDWSW, but I read the NAVADMIN but couldn't remember if it came out before or after the board convened.

Guest navyordie123

speaking of results, Does anyone think that its better to get told or not told if you dont make it? I have been at commands that have done both.

Guest navyordie123

I would rather be told as well. My last command didn't tell us until 2 1/2 hours after the results came out at CPO 365.  the way we were told is, hey if no one said anything to you then you didn't make it.