FY17 Chief Selection Board

9 minutes ago, USAF2USN said:

Serves me right for trying to have fun lol.

:lol:

Actually it may have to do more with this "upgraded" forum software that continues to have issues. I plan on changing the software completely (because I have had it) but due to time constraints it won't happen for another year or so. :bigemo_harabe_net-32:

Guest Art Vandelay

Little bit of both. But if I had to choose one I would say lean more to the climate of your Sailors.

Guest NAVYGUY209

Good Morning another LS1 here. So this is my first time up and made board.  I have not submitted my LTB yet because I have gone back and forth with it for a while now. I have been told don't submit Designation letters if there are in block 43 as a statement but also been told submit them. I have been told 50/50 on Career summary as well, especially if it's in your evals. Any thoughts would be helpful.

To any LSCM, LSCS, LSC or LS1: I have been told that my last 5 evals make it look like I was stuck as the AIMD LPO, and that it could look bad. I'm currently at a CNATTU but my last tour I did my last 3 years in AIMD. Also what is your take on submitting the designation letter for Approving Official? I know generally that is a higher ranked billet.

For my MTS any takers, should I submit my designation letter or Certificate?

Guest NAVYGUY209
27 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing when it comes to Sailor development. Was your AIMD a shore tour or aboard a big deck? Is CNATTU a shore tour? That would be confusing to me. Can you email me your last 5 years of EVALS? I think the write up portion would also be a major factor. Think about this. If I go to a supply department as a Chief I could be the LCPO for my tenure there. That doesn't matter because it is just a title. I am there to develop Sailors and accomplish a mission. Most importantly, I am there to see Sailors succeed and add value to them. There is not title for that other than leadership and that's what matters. Send me you EVALs if you like

Chief,

I just emailed my last 5 evals and prospective LTB.  I was in AIMD on a Amphib and yes CNATTU is a shore duty training command.  My write-ups/collateral are both really good I believe. Yeah the downside is in AIMD I only had 2-4 people because of a small work center but at CNATTU it was good

Guest OldSalt

I emailed my package to the board. The systems says it received one more page than I sent. Does the e-mail itself count as a page, or should I be worried? Anybody else have this happen? 

Good Luck to everyone!

Guest OldSalt
2 minutes ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

Your email counts as a page. It was brought up to us at CPO365

Thanks! I thought this had come up somewhere, and that is what it was. Did not want to go off of just memory. I wanted to make sure.

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
35 minutes ago, OneLastDance said:

I emailed my package to the board. The systems says it received one more page than I sent. Does the e-mail itself count as a page, or should I be worried? Anybody else have this happen? 

Good Luck to everyone!

I called NPC two days ago and I had the same thing. The customer rep explained me that the extra page is the actual email you've sent. Hope it helps! Good luck to you too!!!

Guest OldSalt
7 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Thought for the day: Should your Sailors adapt to your leadership style or should you be adaptive to your Sailors? Be honest.

We all have a leadership style that works best for us. We also have a leadership style we respond best to. You may have to use the style that works best for your sailors in the beginning. Than slowly work toward your style, or stay with that style. Or, from the start let them know this is how you do things. There is no one or wrong answer as long as your sailors, ship, and self are taken care of.

Guest OldSalt
29 minutes ago, HM8702INST said:

Hope it helps!

Thanks! Kind of glad that I was not the only one caught off guard. Confirmation by NPC helps a lot.

Guest Blondie

I've got a question for everyone:  at what point is your record "copied" for the board to review?  Or asked in a different way, what is the last day something can appear in your OMPF or PSR and still be reviewed by the selection board?  Is this a different date from the LTB due date?

Guest Sailor#1
On May 17, 2016 at 3:43 PM, LSHARP said:

Yea, it's my first try but I feel there is an actual chance for me. It's a 20% look for us. Good luck to you. 

This is my 3rd time but only have 9 years in... I won't hold my breath... but we'll see... 1 in 5 LS1s will make Chief. And I definitely think I am the top 1 in 5 LS1s.. haha... now let's see what the board thinks.... Good luck to you too!!! 

Guest OldSalt
44 minutes ago, Blondie said:

I've got a question for everyone:  at what point is your record "copied" for the board to review?  Or asked in a different way, what is the last day something can appear in your OMPF or PSR and still be reviewed by the selection board?  Is this a different date from the LTB due date?

Going through some of the power points and training on line it looks like to me they "copy" all the eligables records to special servers a week or two before the board. At least the parts they know they will look at. If they need more they will go out and get it from the main servers. So what ever is in your record at that point is what they see. This is all just my interpretation though..... for what it's worth plus $1.50 may just get you a cup of coffee!

12 hours ago, Sailor#1 said:

This is my 3rd time but only have 9 years in... I won't hold my breath... but we'll see... 1 in 5 LS1s will make Chief. And I definitely think I am the top 1 in 5 LS1s.. haha... now let's see what the board thinks.... Good luck to you too!!! 

Wow you're already smoking through. I also have 9 years in. How much does anyone think TAFMS will affect us?

Guest OldSalt
25 minutes ago, sean said:

Do you know if they copy 30-38 of your entire history to this server,  or if it's just the last five years? 

Disclaimer: I do not "know" anything for sure. I have never been directly involved first hand in this process, so whatever I tell you about what happens there is based off what I have heard and read. Even the best researched and thought out scuttlebutt is still just that: scuttlebutt. 

To kind of answer your question: I think it is your entire history from those field codes, PSR, and LTB. However, board members are only going to have access to the last five years of information at first. If they want to see anything from further back they will have to specifically ask for it to be provided. Once the request is approved, a recorder will get it where they can see it. They will not just be rooting around in records. Access to anything outside the initial provided information is documented.

Guest OldSalt
10 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

Well package is sent, and beer is opened! Now we play the waiting game!

At least we will all be waiting together! And waiting......waiting.......waiting......waiting. Sure we will all find ways to pass the time.

Well Cheers to you! And, Good Luck!

Guest OldSalt

So, that moment before I clicked the send button for my board package was a bit of a tough time for me. I am sure it is for everyone. Maybe for some it is worrying that they messed up some detail, or missed something. For me I had those feelings too. But, I think the hardest part was the feeling that once I clicked that button that was it. I had done everything I could do to affect the outcome of this cycle. It was all in others hands and there is nothing I can do. Which got me thinking. If you had to pick a two month time frame out of the year to determine what kind of sailor someone really was, would it be just after evals come out, or between board packages due and results released?

Guest CursedSwabbie
1 hour ago, OneLastDance said:

At least we will all be waiting together! And waiting......waiting.......waiting......waiting. Sure we will all find ways to pass the time.

Well Cheers to you! And, Good Luck!

HAHA! I am playing it smart this year and taking leave in JUL so I can not think about it!

Guest CursedSwabbie
57 minutes ago, OneLastDance said:

So, that moment before I clicked the send button for my board package was a bit of a tough time for me. I am sure it is for everyone. Maybe for some it is worrying that they messed up some detail, or missed something. For me I had those feelings too. But, I think the hardest part was the feeling that once I clicked that button that was it. I had done everything I could do to affect the outcome of this cycle. It was all in others hands and there is nothing I can do. Which got me thinking. If you had to pick a two month time frame out of the year to determine what kind of sailor someone really was, would it be just after evals come out, or between board packages due and results released?

We must think alike! I spent 20min looking at my PDF file before I sent it out! I was thinking "Is that It?" looking back through files again before my Chief came over and said "send the files!"

Guest LAVESE

Longtime lurker 1st time poster here...

Since this is the best forum out there, i pose this question

What are the cons of adding a career summary as an enclosure in your package? Ive heard send it don't send it. Any thoughts?

Guest LAVESE
1 minute ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

The career summary question is something you can ask 20 people and 10 will say send it, while 10 will say not to. I personally haven't ever sent one and I was selected for CPO. I have also seen people who have sent them and were selected. I would ask how comfortable are you with your own record? Is everything documented that you have accomplished along with the jobs you've held? At the end of the day it is whether or not you think the career summary will add value to your record. The one thing about a career summary is that whatever is placed on it still has to be verified in your record. Is your career summary going to be used a table of contents for your career and state where to find the supplemental information? Or is it going to just list your career and accomplishments? Like I said, it is up to you in the end and how much value that you think it will add to your package. I won't tell anyone to or not to send one because that is a personal decision.

Thanx for the advice i would only use it as a table of contents. Stating which evals have which qualifications/accomplishments. I also referenced the eval gap i had in my record and included the correction letter as an enclosure. The letter is in my OMPF but it has not been reflected on my continuity report. I know they say don't send duplicates but i had to highlight the fact that action had been taken and it had not been fully rectified as of yet.

Guest OldSalt

This is the first year I an taking the advice of going on leave and relaxing. Flip enough switches and even I will see the light.

We do talk a lot about taking care of our sailor, and we very well should. Not trying to take away from that. But, we often forget that we need to take care of ourselves too. Up to a certain point in our careers we all had someone we could fall back on when we needed help. That person was the Chief. So we have to recognize that as we are trying to become the Chief we in a sense lose that backup. We are now the one that sailors come to for that help. We need to have our stuff in order to be able to help other sailors get their stuff in order. Not perfect. Just enough to look like we are always completely squared away.

As far as results coming out. That is like the band aid removal question. Not the do want me to pull it off slowly, or just rip it off. No it's: Do you want me to suddenly jump out and rip it off, or let you know the specific moment and make you wait. I like the actual date and time. On that day I will still stare at the clock watching the tick-tick--tick---tick as the time ever slower passes to that time. But, better than every time I get called by my Chief, or I see the COB/CMC walking my way, or every time an announcement start going through "Oh my gosh, is this it!" And, than no, no it is not. But, soon, very soon! Wait for it......Wait for it..... Now! No wait.. Now! Nope.....Wait. Alright, who am I fooling.  I will still do that anyway. Hey, maybe they changed their minds and releasing the results early! You never know. But, if I could change one thing it would be to just give the date, not the time. Kind of best of both. Or, worst. Depends on your point of view.