FY17 Chief Selection Board

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, Garlicdude said:

Are you using a CAC reader at home?

Yeah after I posted that I looked closer at the nko splash page, and saw that you have to be at a .mil computer so that is why using the CAC reader at home wasn't working.

Guest MtnMouseOne

Good afternoon! First time posting here and I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who made board this year. Good luck in the future and hope to hear that a few of us made it!

V/R

MMW1(SS/SW)

Guest itdominance
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:59 AM, ET1IDWSW said:

Got the ticket to the dance. Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm.

Good Luck. I think you are good this cycle!

ticket punched also

Guest FCC_Thawk

I know I'm late checking in, but I got my ticket punched to the dance!  Ninth consecutive time SBE, hopefully this is it.  I have two more looks after this year but hopefully I can finally end the streak this year.  I was #2 of 74 and Instructor of the Year at my command on my last eval.  Best of luck to all of the SBE's out there!!

Guest FCC_Thawk
11 hours ago, NavySAR said:

So, I'm thinking of submitting my MDS, training and qual history, and awards list from NSIPS...I reenlisted in 2010 and much of my career isn't in OMPF. I know it's a lot of pages, but it's all good info. Thoughts?

I would do it, especially if a lot of stuff is missing since the last time you reenlisted.  The board will look at your OMPF field codes 30-38, your PSR, and whatever you send in.  If it's relevant information that you would like them to look at, by all means send it in.

Well 6 times eligible out of 7 (didn't score high enough taking the test for the first time).  Next year would be my last shot.  Being that my rate usually makes around 10 a year I'm not getting my hopes up to high.  I failed the most recent prt so I'm just gonna guess that doesn't bode well for me.  Just have to wait for quotas to see if the rumor about a bigger than average cpo advancement this year.

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
2 hours ago, SeeBeeDoc said:

Working hard to pass my MTS Board before my package gets submitted, whish me luck!

I am currently working on my MTS board as well brother. Hopefully I can schedule my board in two weeks and able to include into my LTB. Wish u luck! 

The Navy Advancement Center now has the Bibs available on the COOL website - CAC card no longer required. For those who do not need the Bibs anymore but have Sailors working for them, this is a great opportunity to let them know and have them get a copy on the COOL website. 

Direct Access
Navy Advancement Exam Bibliographies on Navy COOL Website

Link on NavyAdvancement.com with instructions.
Bibliography for Advancement in Rate | Bibs

Guest navyordie123

I have a 3 transfer evals since 2013 due to going from shore to sea then to shore again for a LIMDU period. does anyone know if the board is going to look at those like they would a regular eval or would they even consider those?

Guest navyordie123

Thank you for the advice Chief. It is definitely appreciated a lot. Hopefully I will be on the other end next year doing what you are doing now by helping all of us out. 

Guest SeaBeeDoc
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, sean said:

has anyone ever heard or has an opinion on submitting a career summary letter to the bored? I have had 1 chief suggest it to me but never heard of it before. his reasoning is it shows the bored you are trying to make there job easier. but either way they have to look at the rest of the package anyway. any thoughts?

I spoke with two of the Master Chiefs that sat on my board last year, and they both said that it is a good idea to note any discrepancies in your package via your cover letter or summary. (See Below). I never provided a summary letter until last year. It is highly encourage at my present command. 

Please be advised (w/o going into detail) missed qualifications are a

significant concern on any board;  so an explanation would be warranted  for

such an issue. It will be up to that particular panel if they except or not.....each panel is different in requirements

I cannot speak for CMDCM , but my point to every candidate is to

always provide an explanation to the board on *anything* that you feel may

be unclear or left to open to interpretation in your record.  The PRECEPT

should be your guiding document in this effort.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
16 hours ago, USAF2USN said:

FCPO's (Future Chief Petty Officers),

Attached is something you should be doing to ensure there are no duplicates in your record. Open up your OMPF and sort all of your files by Document Date (this is the date of the document itself). As you can see in the image, this individual has a duplicate evaluation. Follow the guidance from NPC and the precepts, along with your admin department to get these resolved. If you find yourself on May 20th and they are still in your record don't worry. In your Letter to the Board cover page write in the summary something along the lines of "Contacted Pers-XXX to remove Document ID 1234567 as it was a duplicate of Document ID 7654321. At the time of submission of this Letter to the Board the document still remains in my record." This will show the board that you gave your record due diligence in ensuring you were squared away.

-OSC

duplicate.jpg

Thanks Chief, I have looked at this in the past but only to see if there was anything missing. I scrub it this time and found I had several duplicates and a few errors, one of which stated that the form was for and unauthorized absence so when I open it was something  totally different but no one wouldn't know that unless they opened it. I have never been UA before and although this was something put in there a while back it makes me wonder if it could have been a deciding factor from a previous board. Lesson learned, thanks again.

Guest Art Vandelay
1 hour ago, SeeBeeDoc said:

Thanks Chief, I have looked at this in the past but only to see if there was anything missing. I scrub it this time and found I had several duplicates and a few errors, one of which stated that the form was for and unauthorized absence so when I open it was something  totally different but no one wouldn't know that unless they opened it. I have never been UA before and although this was something put in there a while back it makes me wonder if it could have been a deciding factor from a previous board. Lesson learned, thanks again.

That's funny, not the situation, but the fact that me, and two other board eligible First Classes were going through our OMPF and there are duplicates of awards in there. It is as if they appeared out of nowhere, we sat down and we began the process of correcting that error right away.

Guest HMSFIDC

In the last module the conclusion it has a link that will direct you to the NWC site and and you fill out the request cert information. 

Guest SeaBeeDoc

So I know that it is still early but since the board convenes on the 16th of may for us FTS types, I going to make a guess that the results will be out NLT 6 July , I say this because the board convened two days earlier this year and the results were out on the 8th of July last year.  If you go by the dates from the last two years I think the  window between 25 June and July 6th is a safe guess. Well now that I have stop to ponder this, its time to return to working on my package. Have a good weekend everyone.

37 minutes ago, USAF2USN said:

Well I'll be a son of a biscuit. Could have sworn I saw a FY17 RESERVE forum. My apologies doc lol.

It's okay. The rule of thumb is if the title were to have "Active" then the inclination would be to that group. What happens a lot is someone will  make a reserve forum because they have legit questions specific to that group and are trying to be polite or whatnot. But then everyone will migrate back to the thread that has the most action. Once in awhile I'll just merge both because the other becomes dead. Complicated so no need for apologies but the important thing is that unless specified no one is excluded. (sometimes I've had an "active" "general" and "reserves" thread which is overkill and I merge them.)

By the way, appreciate your posts

:bigemo_harabe_net-85:

5 hours ago, SeeBeeDoc said:

So I know that it is still early but since the board convenes on the 16th of may for us FTS types, I going to make a guess that the results will be out NLT 6 July , I say this because the board convened two days earlier this year and the results were out on the 8th of July last year.  If you go by the dates from the last two years I think the  window between 25 June and July 6th is a safe guess. Well now that I have stop to ponder this, its time to return to working on my package. Have a good weekend everyone.

Have a great weekend :)

Guest sk32004toLSC
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:21 PM, CPO_Pride247 said:

This is one of those topics where you can ask 5 different people and they will give you 5 different answers. The important thing is ensuring that your record is currently up to date and that any missing information is submitted to the board. I would recommend you seek out and find someone who has actually set a board to gain insight as to whether or not the summary letter should be submitted. I haven't actually sit on a board as a recorder or in any other fashion so I can't comment on whether or not you should. As I said, take the time and make sure your record speaks for you and you won't have any issues as far as the board seeing who you are.

So I just had board review with my CMC who sat the board last year and I had every intention of asking him about doing this.  Before I could bring it up, he actually suggested submitting one.  I would like to quote him regarding this " You have to assume that the Master Chief reviewing your package has ADHD.  So why not make his job reviewing YOUR package a little easier"  They are reviewing hundreds if not thousands of packages so anything that you do to help with the review could benefit you over the next record.  He also did make a point to also say that what ever you put on the summary sheet had better be somewhere in your record or supported by documentation sent in. 

Guest Iam32
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:42 AM, CPO_Pride247 said:

The board will still look at PRT and BCA failures. The "gimme" from the transition to the new way of doing business was done in order to give CFLs and Sailors the period to adjust to the new way of doing business. Although the a BCA failure doesn't look good on your record, there are ways of countering it. Are you currently a CFL? Have you taken it upon yourself to run FEP? How have you used a setback in your career to help others? I had a BCA failure when I was selected, but I also was given the good advice to work extra hard, become a CFL, and help others who were going thru the same difficulties. That being said, always look at how you can add value to all of your Sailors, peers, and Seniors!

As far as the certificate, go to NKO and there is an actual course that says request PPME certificate. Once that happens, Naval War College will verify you have completed all blocks and email you the certificate to the email you put in when doing your request. This happens in batches, so don't expect to receive it within a few hours or even a few days.

Chief,

When you got selected was the failure within the 5 year window. I have a BCA failure in fall 2013 and that's my only issue with my record. Last Eval I was rank #6 EP of 26 at a training command.

Guest CursedSwabbie

Good luck to those who to the ticket to the dance! I am not going to sit here and pretend that I know everything, but I would recommend that you get out there and talk to your Goat Locker in and out of your command! My chain of command has been extremely helpful so far in to pointing me in the right direction and have suggested people outside my chain of command that will give me a an honest opinion without the BS! Again, I wish all of you the best! 

Guest SeaBeeDoc
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:06 PM, USAF2USN said:

Well I'll be a son of a biscuit. Could have sworn I saw a FY17 RESERVE forum. My apologies doc lol.

No Problem there use to be, It can be kind of confusing because as a FTS we take the same exam as the REGNAV but our Board Results Come out at the same  as the Reserves.