Guest ScrubNation
8 hours ago, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

I will be hitting 14 years August 10 first time up this go, I just want say I appreciate all the information everyone has been posting it’s really helpful. Thanks to all and good luck. 

I will be hitting 14 on August 10 also. I was division 364. 

1 hour ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

What sounds better?

#1 of 300 PO1s. RSCA: 3.40, ITA: 4.0
or
#1 of 5 PO1s. RSCA: 3.40, ITA: 4.30?

I agree. In my humble opinion, have you ever stopped and wondered why the RSCA is so important on selection boards? The way I see it is that your eval grades you against your peers for that one year; however, when the board grades your eval, it's based on your COs recommendation and where you fall on his average RSCA backed up by your documented efforts. COs have evaluated hundreds, even thousands of Sailors. And what they say matter. If a Sailor is #1 of 3 EP and the CO evaluates him with a 4.29 trait average and his RSCA is 3.80 then states he is the best first class he ever had, that tells the board not just about the 5 FCPO in that eval, but the thousands he graded over the years. It's all about the evals and not the number of people your up against. Just as long as your at or above the RSCA or shown progression that made you eventually pass it then your in the crunch zone. To me, it's way more then just the number of people your up against. Just my opinion tho.

Guest TM1/SS

So to take my mind off of the upcoming season, i went and focused on a different season, even if I dont get the "S" this year, its still gonna be a great deer season lol. Went and sat on one of my fields and had 109 Whitetail come through or across in an hour. Let try and have a productive day at work tomorrow yall! Could be the last one as you know it!

Guest Cryptic
13 minutes ago, SK2006 said:

I agree. In my humble opinion, have you ever stopped and wondered why the RSCA is so important on selection boards? The way I see it is that your eval grades you against your peers for that one year; however, when the board grades your eval, it's based on your COs recommendation and where you fall on his average RSCA backed up by your documented efforts. COs have evaluated hundreds, even thousands of Sailors. And what they say matter. If a Sailor is #1 of 3 EP and the CO evaluates him with a 4.29 trait average and his RSCA is 3.80 then states he is the best first class he ever had, that tells the board not just about the 5 FCPO in that eval, but the thousands he graded over the years. It's all about the evals and not the number of people your up against. Just as long as your at or above the RSCA or shown progression that made you eventually pass it then your in the crunch zone. To me, it's way more then just the number of people your up against. Just my opinion tho.

I agree that ITA compared to RSCA is absolutely important. In your example though, a 4.29 ITA over a 3.80 RSCA does not mean that Sailor is the best that CO has ever had. Maybe not even close. It just means that Sailor had an above average year. We don't know what ITA the best Sailor he's ever had was, but it's usually 4.71 or higher. 

On another note, one thing I learned this year is that the statement on the continuity report that says something like "there are no gaps" absolutely CANNOT be trusted. Mine had that validation statement, but a PSC with a keen eye noticed that I was in fact missing 12 days when I last transferred. That was the ultimate lesson in "trust but verify." I submitted a Statement In Lieu of a Missing Report to NPC and to the board to account for those 12 days.

11 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

I agree that ITA compared to RSCA is absolutely important. In your example though, a 4.29 ITA over a 3.80 RSCA does not mean that Sailor is the best that CO has ever had. Maybe not even close. It just means that Sailor had an above average year. We don't know what ITA the best Sailor he's ever had was, but it's usually 4.71 or higher. 

I used that example because most COs try to maintain their RSCA in the middle. If the summary group average was 4.0 then it would increase his RSCA. So if the CO wanted to maintain his average and not really hurt another FCPO at the back end,  the highest he graded the #1 was 4.29 based off my example. If he graded the sailor 5.0 out of three, to maintain his RSCA the lowest sailor would get an individual trait lower than a 3.0. I hope that clears up why I used the example of 4.29.

Guest ScrubNation
11 minutes ago, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

Division 363 we were a White Sox division all where from Chicago.

You were right across the p way from me. That's awesome. Good luck to you. 

1 hour ago, TM1/SS said:

So to take my mind off of the upcoming season, i went and focused on a different season, even if I dont get the "S" this year, its still gonna be a great deer season lol. Went and sat on one of my fields and had 109 Whitetail come through or across in an hour. Let try and have a productive day at work tomorrow yall! Could be the last one as you know it!

Just remember that it's not your Sailors' fault if you don't get the S. There's nowhere to point blame, really. But our coworkers and those we lead don't deserve (or need) to see us off kilter. Stay the course until liberty call, and then go home and decompress, but also remember that it's not our spouse's or kid's fault either.

I've already decided that if I get an N, I'm going to change my Chief's keyboard layout from QWERTY to DVORAK, put a sticky note on the bottom of his mouse, and maybe wrap his Prius in saran wrap...but I'm not going to take it out on anyone else.

Guest Cryptic
30 minutes ago, SK2006 said:

I used that example because most COs try to maintain their RSCA in the middle. If the summary group average was 4.0 then it would increase his RSCA. So if the CO wanted to maintain his average and not really hurt another FCPO at the back end,  the highest he graded the #1 was 4.29 based off my example. If he graded the sailor 5.0 out of three, to maintain his RSCA the lowest sailor would get an individual trait lower than a 3.0. I hope that clears up why I used the example of 4.29.

We are talking about a lot of different things here. 

1. Now we are talking about Sailors getting ITAs that do not necessarily reflect their true performance, because the CO wants to keep a certain RSCA. 

2. RSCA is not the same as the summary average. RSCA is the average of every Sailor a reporting senior has ever rated at that paygrade, while the summary average is the average of this particular group of Sailors. I believe you are referring to summary average.

3. You can have a low summary average in this scenario, if you have one stellar Sailor and two "P" Sailors. (a 4.71 and two 3.0s would come out to a 3.57 summary average.) Either way, many other factors play into this. Prior eval ITAs, etc.

5 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

1. Now we are talking about Sailors getting ITAs that do not necessarily reflect their true performance, because the CO wants to keep a certain RSCA. 

2. RSCA is not the same as the summary average. RSCA is the average of every Sailor a reporting senior has ever rated at that paygrade, while the summary average is the average of this particular group of Sailors. I believe you are referring to summary average.

3. You can have a low summary average in this scenario, if you have one stellar Sailor and two "P" Sailors. (a 4.71 and two 3.0s would come out to a 3.57 summary average.) Either way, many other factors play into this. Prior eval ITAs, etc.

Also, the eval can state things that pertain to a certain ITA (like a CO attempting to correct their RSCA) or a breakout ("...due to forced distribution..."). Anomalies should absolutely be explained in block 43.

10 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

I think we're on the same page here. I was referring to the RSCA and not the summary group. But a higher summary group would affect the COs overall RSCA. I only gave that example to justify my scenario of 4.29 but not to say it is right. I've never been graded at a small command so I can't say what does the CO actually does. But your scenario also plays out just as well to justify a 4.71. 

Guest Cryptic
48 minutes ago, SK2006 said:

I've never been graded at a small command so I can't say what does the CO actually does

Same here up until now. First small command.

As we work towards Tuesday morning, a great mentor sent this prayer to me. 

“Now I lay me down to sleep, 

I pray thee, Lord, my scores to keep. 

And should I select for Chief before I wake, 

please OH PLEASE, cut me this break! 

An anchor here, a rocker there, 

Almighty Lord please grant this prayer. 

I do not ask for eternal bliss, 

I just want my name on The List! 

Please let BUPERS hurry up, 

and drop an anchor in my cup. 

Please let me be Chief before I die, 

pick me, pick me, not the other guy!

- Amen”

18 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

Same here up until now. First small command.

How many first classes would you consider to be a small command?

Guest subguy10524

I am not looking forward to duty on Tuesday. It will either be an elated night of excitement and figuring out what I am supposed to be doing, or a night of reflection and looking forward to what I can do better over these next couple of months for the coming eval. 

Part of me wants the UIC exam results to update on accident tomorrow so I can resolve my emotions in the privacy of my own home. One can hope even though it won’t happen. 

Hopw everyone has a good night and Monday passes quickly. 

Guest Cryptic
24 minutes ago, STG1 said:

How many first classes would you consider to be a small command?

That's hard to say. I guess 10 or less? I dunno. There is 5 here. There were ~350 PO1s at my last command. And like ~300 at the one before that!

23 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

That's hard to say. I guess 10 or less? I dunno. There is 5 here. There were ~350 PO1s at my last command. And like ~300 at the one before that!

My last three evals were ranked against 12, 21, and 28 so definitely small against 300 but STGs don’t really have orders to any extremely large commands usually. 

Guest Cryptic
2 minutes ago, STG1 said:

My last three evals were ranked against 12, 21, and 28 so definitely small against 300 but STGs don’t really have orders to any extremely large commands usually. 

That is a good point. "Small" and "big" commands can probably vary wildly depending on what community you are in. 

53 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

Part of me wants the UIC exam results to update on accident tomorrow so I can resolve my emotions in the privacy of my own home. One can hope even though it won’t happen. 

For giggles tried to get on my navy portal at home, and it wouldn't accept me.  Keeps pulling up my email cert, so don't know if that's the problem. 

Im going to bed. Happy Monday everyone! The week is here! I’m not counting on it but if UIC results do post could someone share UIC 55568 with me. I won’t  have access while I’m TAD. Thanks! Good luck everyone! 

Guest subguy10524
57 minutes ago, AME1 said:

For giggles tried to get on my navy portal at home, and it wouldn't accept me.  Keeps pulling up my email cert, so don't know if that's the problem. 

My navy portal should work at home with email cert. The NEASOS I think requires a .mil server, same as profile sheets. Not 100%, but it would make sense. 

Guest Unmanned08
1 hour ago, STG1 said:

In the history of assignments section of the precepts it states that the candidate has no control over the size of the command and the number of people in ranking group. I wouldn't get too hung up on that aspect.

Guest PO14Life

I got a kick out of reading posts today. I was thankfully busy at work today. Only had a few moments to stress about results. Of course some of those times were people bringing it up, and then there were the subtle hints. This is going to be devastating if it’s the N. I do have cookies stashed for the occasion. I wish everyone their desired outcome. I wish everyone could get the S, but then what would it be worth?