Guest Cryptic
1 hour ago, IS1 TJ said:

Random question... how much weight does SSOY and independent duty hold in yalls opinion? 

SSOY is huge if its at a big command. It still means a lot even at smaller commands. I have a friend who made Chief after getting SSOY at a small command (probably 10-15 PO1s) and he swears that is the reason. 

Independent duty is tougher for me to gauge. Hard to show traditional leadership when there's no one to lead. Gotta find other ways to fill that void. 

Guest paperwarfare
11 minutes ago, IT4U said:

NSUs and Whites

That would be so diheartening to bring all this stuff in and then find out no “s”.

Guest paperwarfare
4 minutes ago, IT4U said:

It’s gonna be hard to hit 100 pages by Monday. 😂😂

It could happen. But maybe we actually have until Tuesday or Wednesday to get to 100.

Guest PO14Life

I think we can do it. And I have at least until Tuesday or Wednesday being FDNF. I will just hate getting the N and having all week to deal with it at work.

Guest CursedSwabbie

So I was asked some questions by my mentor on Friday and I thought I would share...he told me if you can answer these questions it will help you a lot when you are selected and beyond....

1. What is the most inportant part of the day?

2. What can we do as leaders to best help your sailors?

Guest paperwarfare
56 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

I think we can do it. And I have at least until Tuesday or Wednesday being FDNF. I will just hate getting the N and having all week to deal with it at work.

I am completely for a late week announcement. It would give me time to recover and get back to things next Sunday. 

Guest paperwarfare
Just now, CursedSwabbie said:

So I was asked some questions by my mentor on Friday and I thought I would share...he told me if you can answer these questions it will help you a lot when you are selected and beyond....

I swear I am not being cheesy but asside from being with my family everyday the most important part of the day is interacting with “my people.”  

Best help my Sailors.  Asside from being available to them, I would say openly sharing information.

That is the short version anyway. 

Guest PO14Life
2 minutes ago, paperwarfare said:

I am completely for a late week announcement. It would give me time to recover and get back to things next Sunday. 

Exactly!!! Like I tell my Sailors to grieve the loss of the opportunity. Then come up with a plan and move forward. Plus it won’t hurt to be able to have a few drinks while processing it all.

Guest PO14Life
6 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

I think the most important part of the day is the morning or beginning of shift. It is the opportunity to start communication and set the tone for the day. Like PW said communication is important. Also, sometimes we have to remember we can help them by giving them what they need, not what they want.

15 minutes ago, paperwarfare said:

I swear I am not being cheesy but asside from being with my family everyday the most important part of the day is interacting with “my people.”  

Best help my Sailors.  Asside from being available to them, I would say openly sharing information.

That is the short version anyway. 

interacting with “my people.”

"openly sharing information."

I think you nailed it. And openly sharing info not only helps move the mission forward, it helps other team members contribute that mission.

Guest IS_Uno
8 minutes ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

The best part of every day is waking up - with Folgers in my cup.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Most important part of the day is coffee. Can't help Sailors if my brain isn't functioning!

Guest BoatsJ
7 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

The most important part of the day is waking up. Because that sets the tone of how you’ll embrace the day and what’s to come. No specific time of the day since we all wake up at different hours for different situations that come forth. 

The best help we can provide our sailors as leaders is guide them to see the value within themselves and others. Self knowledge is quite strong but together it’s marvelous. The navy isn’t forever. There’s a max when it comes to this career. And we all have to retire from here at some point. But these lessons shape our future. Through good and bad, we’re never alone.

Guest Shellback88

The most important part of the day is quarters, without a doubt. It sets the day and gives a forum to discuss what is on the horizon for the department and command. I was told quarters is sacred when I was a young Sailor. It should be disciplined, professional, and on topic. 

Guest DStarr02

Anyone able to pull exam statistics by UIC or rate? Was working yesterday, showing 0s, but won't open at all today, was hoping would be updated early like it used to be.

Guest Intel
3 hours ago, IT4U said:

I’m at DISA but sources from Pentagon 

Gotcha.  I'm in the DMV but wasn't told anything about uniforms on Monday.  I'm also not in D.C. proper.

Guest paperwarfare
38 minutes ago, DStarr02 said:

Anyone able to pull exam statistics by UIC or rate? Was working yesterday, showing 0s, but won't open at all today, was hoping would be updated early like it used to be.

That is the first thing I am going to check in the morning when I get into work.   Unfortunately, I am at a small command so you can tell right away who made it or not.

Guest upt504

at work now and no dice, if the results are coming out Monday I would think that the information would update in NEAS either today or tomorrow for the command statistics

Guest JayTheMA
14 minutes ago, upt504 said:

at work now and no dice, if the results are coming out Monday I would think that the information would update in NEAS either today or tomorrow for the command statistics

I thought it was only updated after the results were released. Never seen it updated before triad notification. 

Guest JayTheMA
2 minutes ago, SH1DBG said:

How exactly do you pull up command statistics?  I used to remember how to do it.

Under MNP Advancement; it’s under command advancement. 

25 minutes ago, JayTheMA said:

I thought it was only updated after the results were released. Never seen it updated before triad notification. 

Some people on here have said in the past it updated right before results. 

Guest PS1ME

So I've seen a lot of questions and discussion about how important certain things are when it comes to the board (such as any of the year or quarter, personal awards, etc...).  My opinion is this:

I've been told by every leader I respected the same thing when it comes to what the board is looking for.  It matters little what YOU do in your rating as a first class.  What your Sailors do for the shop, command, and community is what reflects highly on you as a leader.  As an E6, you are expected to be the SME for your rating so it should go without saying that you excel at the command within your group.  So for everyone asking if those awards mean anything, I'd say yes.  But I think they would mean a whole lot more if you got them because of what you led your Sailors to do, and not what you personally did.  As a PS I read sometimes hundreds of Evals and packages every year.  Statistically, the ones that make it are the ones whose write-ups reflect continued superior leadership, regardless of the awards given.  Just my .02