Guest PO14Life
15 minutes ago, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

Question would winning SSOQ at a big command have more impact than winning at a small command would the board even take that into consideration.

Anything at a larger command would be better

Guest Cryptic
2 hours ago, DC1I said:

So previously it was mentioned that theres a "backdoor" to enroll in the SEJPME 2's. No one I have asked knows how to do it. Would someone mind filling me in? You can either reply to this or PM me. Either way. Id greatly appreciate it! Also extremely happy that it finally seems like we have an official day that the results will be released. 

I would be interested in learning about this as well, if true.

Guest Cryptic
3 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

Anything at a larger command would be better

Basically this. Would you rather pick you basketball team from a pool 100 players, or a pool of 10? You might get some great players in that pool of 10, or you might just get the best 5 of a group of okay players. With 100 players to choose from, you are going to have some great players every time. (this applies to everything, not just SSOY. Command collaterals, FCPOA positions, CPO 365 positions, etc.)

Guest SH1DBG
37 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

Basically this. Would you rather pick you basketball team from a pool 100 players, or a pool of 10? You might get some great players in that pool of 10, or you might just get the best 5 of a group of okay players. With 100 players to choose from, you are going to have some great players every time. (this applies to everything, not just SSOY. Command collaterals, FCPOA positions, CPO 365 positions, etc.)

Don’t think it works that way, the precepts state that.  I have  won SSOQ three times.   I get it, but I have 30 something FCPO on my ship.  I picked 3 carriers and an LHD then DDG last...I got the DDG.  It isn’t my fault that I got stuck with a small ship and cannot be punished for it when it comes to selection.  SSOQ is SSOQ.  

Guest subguy10524
2 minutes ago, SH1DBG said:

Don’t think it works that way, the precepts stat that.  I have  won SSOQ three times.   I get it, but I have 30 something FCPO on my ship.  I picked 3 carriers and an LHD then DDG last...I got the DDG.  It isn’t my fault that I got stuck with a small ship and cannot be punished for it when it comes to selection.  SSOQ is SSOQ.  

It isn’t being punished for being at a smaller command. It just looks better to have it from a larger group. 

Guest deepseadmt97
57 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

If an agent of that same basketball team sent someone to a 5 player basketball team and they were the worse in the league but that one player was an MVP, would you pick him?

just pointing out that sometimes the detailer will “pick your orders” and those orders might be to a command of only 3 other FCPO but that command is a stellar command. Are you telling me that because i (not me) was sent to that command i don’t stand a chance against a person that was “lucky” to go to a command of 500 people?

the precepts actually addresses this scenario. You will not be punished for a small command. 

5 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

It isn’t being punished for being at a smaller command. It just looks better to have it from a larger group. 

Disagree. 

Think of this: you're looking at two EVALs. Both are #1EP SSOY, but one is from a DDG and one is from a CVN. The fact that they broke out among their peers is what matters, especially that they were recognized for it; and the precept clearly states that the board must consider that a Sailor isn't in control of where they get stationed. The RSCA vs Individual Trait Average, among other things, will be the louder voice in determining who deserves the "S" in a "make one out of two" scenario in the board.

Guest subguy10524

I understand the point. However, I would guess it rarely comes down to SSOQ from different command sizes as the deciding factor. I would also hazard to guess during the scoring it would be a very small point difference based on command size. 

In reality, it actually is more difficult to stand out in a larger group. 

I also realize I am being somewhat pedantic. Punished has a connotation of taking away points. A SSOQ award gives you points either way.  So in both cases you are not punished. And the precepts talks about varied backgrounds and in that paragraph they discuss the need to take that into account not in reference to awards or recognitions. 

I think it depends on when your getting grade by the 2 MC’s that are suppose to grade each sailor ,correct me if I’m wrong,  one may say this Sailor was at a bigger command and got SSOQ which may put the one who got SSOQ at a smaller command kind of at a disadvantage so I’m guessing it depends on that master chief.

Guest Cryptic

What sounds better?

#1 EP of 300 PO1s

#1 EP of 5 PO1s

I know the precepts say that we can't control what size duty station we go to, but how can we look at those 2 bullets above and not see a clear difference? That is hard for me. 

Guest PO Theo
2 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

What sounds better?

#1 EP of 300 PO1s

#1 EP of 5 PO1s

I know the precepts say that we can't control what size duty station we go to, but how can we look at those 2 bullets above and not see a clear difference? That is hard for me. 

I agree with you. The precepts do make mention of Sailors not being able to pick where they are stationed, but we know that it is a stronger bullet when the breakout is in a larger crowd. But, looking at the scoring sheet that was posted a while back, it's like a difference of 10 points out of like 800 or 1000. 

Just now, PO Theo said:

I agree with you. The precepts do make mention of Sailors not being able to pick where they are stationed, but we know that it is a stronger bullet when the breakout is in a larger crowd. But, looking at the scoring sheet that was posted a while back, it's like a difference of 10 points out of like 800 or 1000. 

Luckily most STG1s will be at a command with a max of maybe 50 first classes or less. 

1 minute ago, PO Theo said:

5 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

What sounds better?

#1 EP of 300 PO1s

#1 EP of 5 PO1s

What sounds better?

#1 of 300 PO1s. RSCA: 3.40, ITA: 4.0
or
#1 of 5 PO1s. RSCA: 3.40, ITA: 4.30?

Guest Cryptic
2 minutes ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

What sounds better?

#1 of 300 PO1s. RSCA: 3.40, ITA: 4.0
or
#1 of 5 PO1s. RSCA: 3.40, ITA: 4.30?

This is not realistic. The #1 out of 300 is going to be at minimum a 4.71. If your 1 of 5 has a 4.87 or 5.0, then you might have a point. 

Guest Cryptic
10 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

I have not seen this score sheet. That is interesting!

1 minute ago, Cryptic said:

This is not realistic. The #1 out of 300 is going to be at minimum a 4.71. If your 1 of 5 has a 4.87 or 5.0, then you might have a point. 

Okay okay, I just made up some numbers. 

The points I'm trying to make are that the precept is crystal clear in saying that WHERE a Sailor is not something they control, and that there are more things than just SOQ/SOY that have meaning in the grander scheme of things. What matters most, IMHO, is that you're SSP (moving to the right...), best & fully qualified, and that the Sailors that you lead are successful. I think it would be stronger to have my Sailors get JSOQ for two quarters, with one getting JSOY than me getting SSOY at all.

• Like 1

Guest RayRay_PO1
15 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

What sounds better?

#1 EP of 300 PO1s

#1 EP of 5 PO1s

This was one of the most significant changes to the precept this year. There is a reason that it's in there for the first time ever. You can't control it. What are you doing with the situation you're given? 

All just speculation. And remember, no records are put up against each other anymore, so it's never going to come up "do we select this #1 of 5 or #1 of 300?"

2 hours ago, ET1 SS said:

I just hit 11 too..  11 years of being a First Class.

Come to think of it, I'm close to that 11 year mark myself.  Made first in 2007.

22 minutes ago, RayRay_PO1 said:

This was one of the most significant changes to the precept this year. There is a reason that it's in there for the first time ever. You can't control it. What are you doing with the situation you're given? 

All just speculation. And remember, no records are put up against each other anymore, so it's never going to come up "do we select this #1 of 5 or #1 of 300?"

Records ARE put up against one another. According to the brief on NPC, they "crunch" when the scattergram is posted. Which means they compare records when they have, for example, 6 SBE with only 3 quotas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Awesome read! Thanks @Tony!

The part that really stood out to me was ""the aggregation of marginal gains,” which is simply stacking one tiny improvement on top of another such that, over time, you will have improved exponentially."

This can be applied almost universally, from how much rust you needlegunned to getting an excellent on your PRT...all small improvements that better the Navy, the mission, and yourself.

I'm going to share this with my department tomorrow.

• Cool 1

7 minutes ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

Awesome read! Thanks @Tony!

The part that really stood out to me was ""the aggregation of marginal gains,” which is simply stacking one tiny improvement on top of another such that, over time, you will have improved exponentially."

This can be applied almost universally, from how much rust you needlegunned to getting an excellent on your PRT...all small improvements that better the Navy, the mission, and yourself.

I'm going to share this with my department tomorrow.

That's the same one that caught my eye and that can be applied to just about anything!

• Cool 1

Guest RayRay_PO1
23 minutes ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

Records ARE put up against one another. According to the brief on NPC, they "crunch" when the scattergram is posted. Which means they compare records when they have, for example, 6 SBE with only 3 quotas.

I get what you're saying and that's definitely how it was done up until this year, but this information came from someone who sat the SCPO board this year with the new process. Those 6 records would be rebriefed and revoted on (possibly even rescored) until they came away with a top 3.

Just now, RayRay_PO1 said:

I get what you're saying and that's definitely how it was done up until this year, but this information came from someone who sat the SCPO board this year with the new process. Those 6 records would be rebriefed and revoted on (possibly even rescored) until they came away with a top 3.

Unless we're miscommunicating somewhere, those top 6 records are reviewed and scored to come up with a breakout among them...which means they're being compared to breakout who's on top.

Guest THEORDNANCMAN

So I’ve been stuck on the fence this whole time, but I’m to the point when the results come out that if I don’t get that  magical “S” my first question will be, “ What else do I need to do “? The feeling of not being selected will just make me heated to the point that I don’t want to deal with anyone. We shall see in the next 48. 🤷🏾‍♂️