Guest Framer511
17 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Funny thing is not all would agree.  Have a guy at work that is a junior first say he hates the seniority thing.  I'm sure he'd be all for pay by how you rank on the board.

That seems to be the consensus. Those that are selected for Chief earlier in their careers feel that the seniority thing is garbage and those that make it late in their career agree with the seniority pay increments.  After all, with high three in play for retirement it would only be fair to pay those who have more time in first so that they can have a better retirement check. Just sucks for all that it can take a full year for everyone to be paid.  

17 minutes ago, KDSA said:

Yes but once they both get paid as a CPO... doesn't one get paid more already based off of time in? For example a 14 year CPO is paid more than a 7 year...

It can be argued back and forth for whatever selfish reason the person has... in the end they made it and there's a lot of people in the shadows that would trade places with them. 

Yes they have the same payscale by time in.  Worked for a Chief who made less than me because he wasn't getting paid for it yet, and I have been in longer than him.  My point was more of you have guys who feel they are #1 even if they've only been a first for a couple years.  Those are the guys who would push for paid based on how you rank at the board since they feel they would be top of the list, and would rather not wait because they are junior.

15 minutes ago, Frye_Daddy said:

Spongebob theme song is perfect!

Row row row, your boat was a popular option when crossing the line.  Also I'm a little teapot was the #2 song we sung.

26 minutes ago, DC1I said:

Out of curiosity, what's the fastest yall have ever seen someone make Chief? And also has anyone ever heard of someone making it while at their first command? 

Never knew anyone at their first command, but 5yr 3 months (i think is what it was) is the fastest I knew of. But dude was LEGIT. Tech expert, great leader, wrote well...etc 

5 minutes ago, Framer511 said:

That seems to be the consensus. Those that are selected for Chief earlier in their careers feel that the seniority thing is garbage and those that make it late in their career agree with the seniority pay increments.  After all, with high three in play for retirement it would only be fair to pay those who have more time in first so that they can have a better retirement check. Just sucks for all that it can take a full year for everyone to be paid.  

Being over 20 right now, yes I would like to be paid earlier since I'm running out of time for high 3.  If not this year, next year I'd get higher than E6, but not a full 3 years of Chief pay.

Guest OJ451

Does anyone think that accolades such as Golden Shellback or Blue nose should have some type of salty weight to the board?  This is the Navy.  Why is that not a bigger thing in accomplishments?  Being the saltiest?

Guest Cryptic

If we changed to rank based pay increments, how much longer would it take to rack and stack at the board? The way it is now, they pick all the surefire packages, then argue about the cutoff packages. And even that takes them 2 weeks. I would guess it would take a full month if they had to rank every package from best to worst. No thanks. (and I'm a relatively junior PO1 saying this)

28 minutes ago, DC1I said:

Out of curiosity, what's the fastest yall have ever seen someone make Chief? And also has anyone ever heard of someone making it while at their first command? 

Don't know how quick he made Chief, but worked for a Master Chief in Afghanistan who picked up his 2nd star at 14 years.

Guest Cryptic
1 minute ago, OJ451 said:

Does anyone think that accolades such as Golden Shellback or Blue nose should have some type of salty weight to the board?  This is the Navy.  Why is that not a bigger thing in accomplishments?  Being the saltiest?

Probably because it doesn't have a strong correlation to leadership or technical expertise. 

Guest ASWife

Hello everyone, AS1 wife here. Thanks for opening the sign up option earlier, Tony. It's so nerve-racking waiting for these results... :bigemo_harabe_net-24:

Guest subguy10524

In my opinion, seniority is the best way for pay increments. The rank based is directly counter to the humility and humbleness expected from a chief. It invites comparison and a who was better mentality. 

As for shellback and the like. The Detailer chooses your duty station. Squadron and higher choose your missions. You have no control over which certificates you can get. Why advance people based on things they have no control over? 

As @Crypticsaid, technical knowledge and leadership are things you can control. A much better ranking structure. 

16 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

If we changed to rank based pay increments, how much longer would it take to rack and stack at the board? The way it is now, they pick all the surefire packages, then argue about the cutoff packages. And even that takes them 2 weeks. I would guess it would take a full month if they had to rank every package from best to worst. No thanks. (and I'm a relatively junior PO1 saying this)

If everyone gets a grade they already have a ranked order.  My understanding is they take a few extra below the cut off, and then go down the list.  Is #2 better than #1, continuing until they have the quota filled.  So wouldn't add a whole lot to the board process.  Now on the scrub it'll take just a bit longer to sort out the advancement pay (maybe, maybe not)

Guest PS1ME
57 minutes ago, DC1I said:

Youngest I've seen was either right at or just under 7 years.  YNC too.  She was a hard worker, smart.  By now is probably an excellent leader as well.  

1 hour ago, DC1I said:

I’ve seen an STGC in under 6.

Guest Frye_Daddy
2 hours ago, Framer511 said:

So why we are all playing this waiting game for the results, here is a something  that we were talking about within my office the other week....Should the pay increments be based off of seniority or based off how each sailor selected for Chief stacked up against their peers that were selected within the same rating?

That's a tough one, I am still not getting paid. I would have to say keep it the way it is.

Guest Frye_Daddy
1 hour ago, DC1I said:

6 year ITC made it with me last year, I made it in 8, I'm sure it doesn't matter but I joined a little later in life.

Guest Shellback88

Anyone hear of this provision? Straight out of the advancement manual. It would seem that the young bucks are fighting two quotas...

1202. EARLY SELECTEE QUOTA. Department of Defense (DOD) has 
established the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS) 
requirement which is to be met prior to a member’s advancement 
to a given paygrade. TAFMS requirements are as follows: 
 E7 – 11 years 
 E8 – 16 years 
E9 – 19 years 
DOD has made provisions for early advancements. An “early” 
candidate is one who does not meet the TAFMS minimum service 
requirements. No more than 10 percent of the total number of 
Sailors in the E7/8/9 paygrades may have less than the 
prescribed TAFMS. The number of “early” selectee quotas 
available to the selection board is limited to a percentage of 
the total selectee quota. CNO (N13) monitors this and informs 
the board of what percentage can be early selectees. The 
percentage is an overall board figure, not a quota by rate. 

2 minutes ago, Shellback88 said:

Anyone hear of this provision? Straight out of the advancement manual. It would seem that the young bucks are fighting two quotas...

E7 – 11 years 
 E8 – 16 years 
E9 – 19 years 

I have heard of this provision, but I never looked at it as a reason I never got selected. Sure, you're fighting for a spot in the quotas, and this makes that even harder. All I ever told myself is that there are TONS of things outside of my control, and for that reason, I shouldn't spend a single calorie stressing about it.

2 minutes ago, Shellback88 said:

E7 – 11 years 
 E8 – 16 years 
E9 – 19 years 

So myself and my YNC spent a weekend duty looking into this. The DOD instruction that this references was cancelled in 2005 I believe and nothing replaced it. But also I asked the Captain of NPC and the now acting MCPON personally at one of the recent career symposiums about this exact question and both of them told me that they had never even heard of it and there is no limit on "early canidates" being selected

Guest MannyTheET
1 hour ago, DC1I said:

Had a Chief at a command that made it at 6yrs. Everyone knew it, and it showed.

Earlier this year I was doing some research (FLTMPS stalking) on last year’s selectees. I looked at the bottom ranked and he had made it at his first command.

Guest ASWife
1 hour ago, DC1I said:

I believe that my best friend's husband made ITC in around 8-9 years... I felt terrible for my husband then because, although my friend is a great sailor and absolutely deserved it, it showed how much of a difference rates can make in someone's career. Some seem to be more open and accessible in terms of advancement opportunity. I have been with my husband 10+ years and Aviation Support does not appear to belong to that category, unfortunately. I have to say that it truly is disheartening to see your partner work so hard and be the best he can be, only to be disappointed year after year and spend a terrible birthday (August 5). At least I can say that this year's delay might finally give him a chance to enjoy his birthday, for once :5200: 

Guest AS1 GORGEOUS
8 minutes ago, ASWife said:

I believe that my best friend's husband made ITC in around 8-9 years... I felt terrible for my husband then because, although my friend is a great sailor and absolutely deserved it, it showed how much of a difference rates can make in someone's career. Some seem to be more open and accessible in terms of advancement opportunity. I have been with my husband 10+ years and Aviation Support does not appear to belong to that category, unfortunately. I have to say that it truly is disheartening to see your partner work so hard and be the best he can be, only to be disappointed year after year and spend a terrible birthday (August 5). At least I can say that this year's delay might finally give him a chance to enjoy his birthday, for once :5200: 

I feel his pain!! I am an AS with over 16 years and still waiting my turn if it ever comes. 

Guest ASWife
2 minutes ago, AS1 GORGEOUS said:

I feel his pain!! I am an AS with over 16 years and still waiting my turn if it ever comes. 

He's been in 15 years. Hopefully this is the year for you both! :5274:

Guest YN Uno

Good luck to everyone. Tony, thanks for the account. I’m stationed at Fort Leavenworth, KS on independent type duty. I have no Chief here so I’ve been snooping on here and had to hunt for guidance from friends&chiefs on previous carriers & LPD about the results. Guess I need to figure out where to go if selected. Maybe  I should contact a Recruiting station or NOSC I’m assuming. Anyone here in the same situation?

Guest pebzPRmff

I come here and see all the solid information for next week, then I scroll my newsfeed and messages from mentors all excited for today (aug 2nd). 🤯🤦🏽‍♂️  Praying for the 2nd, expecting the 8th 🤷🏽‍♂️