FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest subguy10524
15 minutes ago, CMCWO5 said:

The 2200 work days was meant for the individuals getting off normally at 1600. Just be sure to balance your workload, keeping ORM in mind if you are driving while tired and at night. Remember the Season is temporary but the health of you and your family is everlasting. If you find yourself in a genuine bind be sure to flex your sponsor during the Season.

Thank you for the reminder! You are 100% correct. Mission first, and that is keeping our Navy ready to go to sea or at sea. 

I also would rather sleep on the boat than drive home exhausted and never see my family again!

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Okay, I'm gonna' gently open the forum up for registration. Let's see what happens :huh:

Okay, here we go. As soon as they see that we are open for registration, the visitor count is going to go up.

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)

So results next weds. I guess I better take care of all the big items I have ( buying and selling a house right now), just incase a miracle happens next week

Guest MannyTheET
Guest KnockoutTrish
18 hours ago, Tony said:

okay reboot coming again.

also, dont forget for those tha make it, @KnockoutTrish can help spouses. contact her directly if you make it. she has help in special situations too, the real deal.

Thanks Tony!  Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer them and if I don't know find out the answer for you.  I have been around this process for some time now (since 2008 when my husband made chief).  There is also a thread created in the spouses section of the forum that comments and questions can be posted.

Good luck to all those waiting!!

Welcome new members, when you get a chance, take a peek at the guidelines.

And please remember:
You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never leave.

🤯

3 minutes ago, KnockoutTrish said:

Thanks Tony!  Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer them and if I don't know find out the answer for you.  I have been around this process for some time now (since 2008 when my husband made chief).  There is also a thread created in the spouses section of the forum that comments and questions can be posted.

Good luck to all those waiting!!

Thank you again @KnockoutTrish, good time, another spouse just checked in. I appreciate what you do since this can be scary for some but it doesn't have to be! 

4 hours ago, CMC said:

Results will be released to the Triads on Wednesday (8/8) and Navadmin Thursday (8/9). 

This is the plan folks, if you haven't seen...

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)

Not so ruffle any feathers in there but:

Me and my  fellow firsts were taking about the results coming out next week and our chances. Someone brought up the fact that demographics ( Race, age, sex) plays a part in the selection process. 

They were saying that they cant just select all males, or all white males, or black/hispanic females or males.

1. Do you think this is true.

2. Do you think this actually plays a part in the selection process?

3. This would explain why some people who make it you wonder why.

I never thought of this until it was said today and now that I think of it. I think there is a hint of truth to it.

*DISCLAIMER* I am in no way saying the board is biased, but it would look funny if all the selects happened to be all male, or all female, or  majority of a certain race.

Guest pebzPRmff
18 minutes ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Me and my  fellow firsts were taking about the results coming out next week and our chances. Someone brought up the fact that demographics ( Race, age, sex) plays a part in the selection process. 

They were saying that they cant just select all males, or all white males, or black/hispanic females or males.

I never thought of this until it was said today and now that I think of it. I think there is a hint of truth to it.

*DISCLAIMER* I am in no way saying the board is biased, but it would look funny if all the selects happened to be all male, or all female, or  majority of a certain race.

If you read the convening orders it specifically talks about this and not discriminating. Are members of the board human and does everyone have some level of bias? Yes. But they cannot specifically speak to their bias in the board and cannot say, “Well, she’s the only female even close to comparing so we have to pick her so we have at least one”. Or anything along those lines. It even outlines sexual preference and orientation. If a board member is suspected of negatively grading a person due to a personal bias, or only selecting someone because of perceived “affirmative action” attitudes, that will go extremely bad in today’s Navy even if it wasn’t true.   

** But, yes. I think it does still happen on some level. Just like TIR isn’t supposed to be held for or against you but I’m pretty sure it is. “He only has 3 E-6 evals, he’s got time to make it another cycle”. 

2 minutes ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Considering they can return quotas, and don't have to fill them all with the best qualified candidates.  Have also been told under the old process if they don't fill them all they must explain why.  I can't see the board going by that process.  Especially with the new way of ranking the packages where it's a group vote to get your score. 

Guest MannyTheET
14 minutes ago, pebzPRmff said:

If a board member is suspected of negatively grading a person due to a personal bias that will go extremely bad in today’s Navy even if it wasn’t true.   

You know it’s actually interesting but there  can also be a “positive” instead of negative when it comes to discrimination. If selections were actually made like this, however, it would certainly reflect today’s society, where people get spots becaus of race, gender, etc due to things like “affirmative action” and the such. Is it bullcrap? Maybe. But the Navy tries to be very conscious on being “a reflection of society.”

But what do I know I’m just getting ready for bed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Guest CMCWO5
1 hour ago, Tony said:

@CMC and @CMCWO5, thank you very much for taking the time to set up an account and sharing

:5188:

Absolutely.

I will say this that if you do get the S, have fun with the Season. It is a very short 6 weeks in the scheme of things and remember “humble” is the most important word you can start learning now.  Although I’m sad to say it, with increased restrictions and guidelines to the Season over the years, I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 - 10 years the process as a whole is dwindled down into a 2 or 3 week school you will have to attend and return to your Command as a Chief. I don’t say this to be that disgruntled old man who barks “back in my day” comments but to say again, cherish this time and respect the process.  

I’ll leave you with this. Talking with some old friends of mine that went the CMC route, they put it like this, “we can be pissed all we want to about the Navy taking away our pride and traditions, but at the end of the day they aren’t there anymore because we gave the Navy an excuse to do it.” Read back in the News headlines for the past decade of every liberty incident, training accident, etc. and you will find the reason why these traditions have faded.

Glad to be here and while I have been retired a little while, mentoring Sailors isn’t a science it’s an art form. Policy and current guidance we also have a plethora of good knowledge in here.

-Grant

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)

Do you think we will hit 100 pages before the results come out, now that we kind of have a semi solid date???

4 minutes ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Do you think we will hit 100 pages before the results come out, now that we kind of have a semi solid date???

wow, I didn't think of that but I am sure we will hit it.

:5295:

Guest Cryptic
1 hour ago, Tony said:

Welcome new members, when you get a chance, take a peek at the guidelines.

And please remember:
You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never leave.

🤯

Welcome to the Chief Season, New Selects
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face.
Plenty of room in Chief Season for New Selects
It's the time of year (it's the time of year), do I smell fear?

Guest MR1(SW/SCW/AW
1 hour ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

I honestly wouldn’t doubt it. In recruiting, we put people in for the same requirements. Get goaled with BUMG, HUMG, PUMG ETC.

17 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

Such a lovely face.

Yes, the official theme song of this forum:

Guest Cryptic
7 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

Such a lovely face.

So I called up my Master Chief,
'Please bring me my anchors'
He said, 'you better get in line boy and earn those pretty chokers'
And still those Chiefs are calling from far aweigh,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say

Just now, Cryptic said:

So I called up my Master Chief,
'Please bring me my anchors'
He said, 'you better get in line boy and earn those pretty chokers'
And still those Chiefs are calling from far aweigh,
Wake you up in the middle of the night