FY-19 LDO/CWO Procurement Board

2 hours ago, ADCS*VFA said:

So here is my "two cents". I would like for everyone who reads this please follow and understand the opinion I have. I will take each of you down memory lane just a little.

Have you ever been asked by your spouse to stop by the store on your way home? The answer is yes for most of us, if not everyone. While in the supermarket have you ever seen that old, retired CPO/SCPO/MCPO with the retired hat on? Yes! While in the supermarket had s/he ever stopped you asking the genetic question: "Hey Sailor how is my Navy doing?" While answering s/he proceeds to spend countless time telling you a sea story or two. Well, what are most of us thinking? I will tell you: "would this guy please leave me alone so I can get home."  Do you know why the majority of us say This? IT IS BEACUSE NO ONE CARES! Once we retire, no one cares. How many Sailors have retired in your Navy tenure? How many of them do you still call, to see if they are doing well? Not many I assume. So with that being said. Go get yours. Who cares what you do, when you accomplish it, and how. When we all retire the only thing we take home is: 1. A check, 2. A flag, 3. A family who we miss countless things for.  No one cares, so why should you. Do your job! Take care of Sailors, but, most importantly, take care of YOU! DO NOT BE LOYAL TO A RANK THAT WILL NOT BE LOYAL TO YOU WHEN YOUR GONE!

My two cents. Think about it!

Guest McMustang6330
10 hours ago, Sbreakall said:

I think it also goes back to the chiefs job tho... train the ensign. Having experience "training the ensign" could make you a better ensign (I use the word "could" because there are exceptions to every rule).

It's already been said. You can have a great first class leader and a horrible chief leader. Rank doesn't make the leader.

But, let's get technical... any E6 who makes LDO is promoted to E7 and then O1, correct? Loophole that helps us E6s think we still have a chance. Lol

Sbreakall, no, this is not true.  Two things, 1) if you get selected for LDO and accept it, prior to making Chief, your record will be flagged as ineligible for any other promotion boards.  When I was selected, as a Chief, my record was pulled from the E8 selection board for consideration.  2) LDO's are no longer temp appointments, and therefore do not get automatically promoted while awaiting permanent commission.  It used to be, until promoted to LT, that LDO's only received a temporary commission, were promoted for retirement/re-conversion purposes to each enlisted paygrade when they became eligible for them, but could turn down or accept permanent appointment at LT.  This is no longer the case (rightfully so, I might add).

That being said, if you pick up LDO as an E6,  you will not put on anchors. 

Guest McMustang6330
9 hours ago, ADCS*VFA said:

So here is my "two cents". I would like for everyone who reads this please follow and understand the opinion I have. I will take each of you down memory lane just a little.

Have you ever been asked by your spouse to stop by the store on your way home? The answer is yes for most of us, if not everyone. While in the supermarket have you ever seen that old, retired CPO/SCPO/MCPO with the retired hat on? Yes! While in the supermarket had s/he ever stopped you asking the genetic question: "Hey Sailor how is my Navy doing?" While answering s/he proceeds to spend countless time telling you a sea story or two. Well, what are most of us thinking? I will tell you: "would this guy please leave me alone so I can get home."  Do you know why the majority of us say This? IT IS BEACUSE NO ONE CARES! Once we retire, no one cares. How many Sailors have retired in your Navy tenure? How many of them do you still call, to see if they are doing well? Not many I assume. So with that being said. Go get yours. Who cares what you do, when you accomplish it, and how. When we all retire the only thing we take home is: 1. A check, 2. A flag, 3. A family who we miss countless things for.  No one cares, so why should you. Do your job! Take care of Sailors, but, most importantly, take care of YOU! DO NOT BE LOYAL TO A RANK THAT WILL NOT BE LOYAL TO YOU WHEN YOUR GONE!

My two cents. Think about it!

This is timeless advice for anyone in the Navy.  I tell all of my Sailors that the Navy owes every enlisted Sailors that stays until retirement three things:  1) a college education, paid for using TA.  Over the course of a 20 year career, you will have the opportunity to utilize $50,000 in tuition assistance alone, which is more than sufficient to get a Masters Degree without paying a dime out of pocket except for books.  2) The Navy owes you a maximized pension, whether that is through the Enlisted or Officers ranks. 3) The Navy owes you a house.  At the low BAH rate of $1000/month, you will have collected  (and hopefully invested) $240,000 over the course of a 20 year career. 

The caveat to these three things is that there is no one walking around with these things on a silver platter handing them out to those who happen to be in the right place, at the right time.  Rather, you have to know that these things exist, and TAKE them from the Navy.  We all understand that the Navy is going to take what it wants from you; In the grand scheme of things we have minimal input to choose our shift, working hours, deployment dates, duty assignments worldwide, etc.  In my opinion, and in keeping with what ADCS*VFA said, you have to earn and take what you want from the Navy.  Otherwise, you're going to be left with nothing but the same sea stories to re-iterate every weekend over warm Coors Light at the local VFW.

Just my unsolicited $.02.  Nothing on OIX as of 0627.  Good luck to everyone if the results come out today.

Guest MrsCPO

Our 5 year old daughter seems to think today is the day! She’s crossing her little fingers and staying hopeful for her daddy. What a wonderful feeling it would be to see his name on that list, but either way, our family is still blessed with the life the Navy has provided us. 

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul. 

- Horatio G. Spafford, 1843

Guest McMustang6330

"All quiet on the Western Front."

The OIX report on the day at 0851 on March 01, 2018, when results were not yet released.

Guest osiris0107

This is my third time too. Sometimes I wonder if the board looks at how many opportunities you have left to submit and uses that either in your favor or against you. I have two more shots, but would like it if I never have to use them. Chief exam results should be out soon, so if there is no S then, pray for that board eligible.

Heading to the hospital in a couple hours with the wife to have our 4th son. Today would be a good day for results 👍🏻.