FY-17 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

• Enclosures.docx

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

This is the error it gives me

I would PM you the doc but I have no PM option in the drop down by my name and I can't for the life of me figure out where it might be...

Okie doke, I'll look into your PM thingy. You can't send docs via pm though. You can email it to webmaster at this domain dot com if you want, thanks.  :D

• Enclosures.docx

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

This is the error it gives me

I would PM you the doc but I have no PM option in the drop down by my name and I can't for the life of me figure out where it might be...

I added docx as a permitted document so all can add in the future if anyone wants. BBb)  I should have seen that dang it.  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Any one knows when the navadmin for fy17 coming out?

Reservists interested in the Reserve LDO/CWO program should contact PERS-92 (901) 874-3291/DSN: 882.

Call that number they should be able to give you an idea.  Then let everyone on here know :)

• Like 1

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

R 061959Z JUL 15
NAVADMIN 156/15
FY-17 ACTIVE-DUTY LIMITED DUTY OFFICER AND CHIEF WARRANT OFFICER IN-SERVICE PROCUREMENT BOARDS

If you go back to the list of forums... Tony has actually put the message in there.
Thanks Tony.

Guest ChiefH

I just finished my appraisal board, the board members consisted of the most senior CWO5 7441, a LCDR 6440, LCDR 1810 and a LT 6440. I was ranked #1 on the command rankings two years in a row and wasn't selected. Does anyone know how much weight the command rankings actually hold?

Guest CTRC(5)

I just finished my appraisal board, the board members consisted of the most senior CWO5 7441, a LCDR 6440, LCDR 1810 and a LT 6440. I was ranked #1 on the command rankings two years in a row and wasn't selected. Does anyone know how much weight the command rankings actually hold?

Chief,

Thanks for the question I was going to ask the same thing. I did my board yesterday as well with a CDR, a CW05 7441, and 2 LT 6440's. This is something I was wondering since this was my first year eligible. Good luck to you.

V/R

CTR1

Not sure, but I've been told that the higher the ranks of the members of the interview board and your CO the better.  The word is you don't want lower than an O-5 if you can help it, especially if they aren't in the designator you are applying for.  Birds and Stars are what you want on the board.

Guest CajunMA

I've heard the same. However, being I am applying for security and intel, not sure how many security officers of those ranks there are. We are a small community.

Guest osiris0107

I am going to be conducting my interview boards soon and was wondering if anyone had some ideas of what the interviewers might ask? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Why do you want to be an Officer?

Why do you not want to be a Chief (if not one already) or why do you not want to be a Senior Chief.

How do you fit in the wardroom dynamic?

What does the word Mustang mean to you? 

Policy questions, mainly things like DAPA, homosexual policy, CMEO, SAPR etc.

Programs that benefit sailors like mentorship.

Just off the top of my head.

Guest osiris0107

Why do you not want to be a Chief (if not one already) or why do you not want to be a Senior Chief.

Thanks. Do I need to know those policies in and out or know how they protect and benefit Sailors?

I am going to be conducting my interview boards soon and was wondering if anyone had some ideas of what the interviewers might ask? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

You are walking by your stateroom and an Airman runs out, she looks like she has been crying and her uniform is messed up.  You then see the CO quickly come out of his stateroom like he is going to chase after her but then notices you and goes back in his stateroom and shuts the door.  What do you do?

or

You walk into your stateroom and your shipmate is there with a half empty bottle of liquor sitting next to him and he is passed out.  He looks and smells drunk.  What do you do?

or

The Navy just gave you $100,000 to spend in your command.  How would you spend it?  What will you try to accomplish by spending that money?

Three questions I was asked... good luck!

Guest YNC(SS)

I got asked the basic questions of course, but it's the WAY you answer the questions.  When I walked into my board I owned that room!  I had three nice binders all tabbed out with my stuff, I ordered them lunch, of course sat up straight but I answered those questions with authority!  DO NOT BE SCARED, or timid.  Don't second guess yourself with your answers.  You need to answer those questions with the attitude of "that's the right answer because I say it is".  Act like you know what you're talking about.  If you're ready to be commissioned like yesterday, act like it.  I'm more than willing to help anyone out with their applications.  Let me know if you need anything.  Good luck guys!

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

I answered those questions with authority!  DO NOT BE SCARED, or timid.  Don't second guess yourself with your answers.  You need to answer those questions with the attitude of "that's the right answer because I say it is".  Act like you know what you're talking about.  If you're ready to be commissioned like yesterday, act like it.

Great feedback 641X. To those applying, take note of the binders mentioned. Have a well kept organized binder for yourself and copy the applicable information with individual binders for every member on your board. 

Great feedback 641X. To those applying, take note of the binders mentioned. Have a well kept organized binder for yourself and copy the applicable information with individual binders for every member on your board. 

Additionally.  If possible, meet with each member of the board in person and ASK QUESTIONS.  I have done this every time it was feasible and most of the time, they told me exactly what they were going to ask me.  I agree completely with 641X, although one of the questions I answered on the board was incorrect, I stuck to my guns and even argued with the person asking the question because he kept asking it in different ways to see how I would answer.  When I came back in for feedback, I was told that although we didn't see eye to eye on the issue, I held my ground and projected authority and I got perfect marks from each board member.  Sit up straight and be confident!  Tell them what you know in your soul to be true and you will do fine.  Boards are not about the "right" answer, it is about assessing you as a leader.  Don't jump to conclusions on scenario questions, investigate the questions and when you have ALL of the facts, answer with confidence.  Although I haven't been picked up for LDO, I killed every board I have attended. 

I just finished my appraisal board, the board members consisted of the most senior CWO5 7441, a LCDR 6440, LCDR 1810 and a LT 6440. I was ranked #1 on the command rankings two years in a row and wasn't selected. Does anyone know how much weight the command rankings actually hold?

Could be just a rumor and feel free to stomp me if I'm wrong... But, From what I understand, the board doesn't look as high at the command ranking as in other officer packages because you could be a first class ranked against a Chief, whereas a Chief may be "naturally" ranked higher than a first And you could also be ranked against several different designators but grouped into all the LDO packages. My first package, my CO fairly ranked me high based on my oral boards and package presentation, my Senior CWO who handled my package for me, informed me that I ranked high among the other applicants and even beat out a few Chiefs. I was super excited about that, but he said that did not matter as much. My personal statements and my record carried the most weight. I was also informed at that time that it could take 5 or more applications to commission. I went back and talked to my CWO mentor and he informed me that it took him 5 times! And this guy was a super star! He said he has given up after four and his wife convinced him to submit his package again. He said he didn't even change it from the year before and picked up! Apparently persistence is a big factor as well...

Guest nickam

hey brother, what was your response to some of these questions, i just want to have an idea. My CCC is still looking to schedule my interview, but i dont know when thou. please any help will be appreciated, thank.

Your best bet is to talk to ever LDO/CWO you can find about their experiences. It was different every time for me. I've heard of some board members handing the interviewee a piece of paper/pencil and having them write one paragraph on why they want to be an officer. Another LDO told me they pulled out the chair thingy, (technical term), that made the seat lean back to see what he would do. Another guy told me they pushed his chair back about ten feet from the table to see if he would move it closer or not. A guy I worked with in Cuba applied for STA-21 and during his interview, they started quoting the Jack Nicholson speech from a few good men, on account that they were in Cuba... In all reality you will have three seasoned mustangs sitting in front of you with their own concepts of scenarios and imaginative questions to test you and trip you up. Again, it's not about the right or wrong answer, it's about how you answer. It's about how you conduct and present yourself.