FY-17 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

Guest osiris0107

Thanks for the input. I am about to go through practice interview today? This Ensign is a real smart, tough and sarcastic guys, so I can imagine what he will ask.

Thanks for the input. I am about to go through practice interview today? This Ensign is a real smart, tough and sarcastic guys, so I can imagine what he will ask.

How did it go?

Guest osiris0107

It went well, He said that I sounded confident when I answered my questions and that is the key! He also told me, no matter what they think you should answer be respectful, but stick to your guns and your responses! I am as ready as I possibly can be just ready to get this over with in two days.

Good stuiff!  And remember, it USUALLY takes several applications so don't get discouraged!

It went well, He said that I sounded confident when I answered my questions and that is the key! He also told me, no matter what they think you should answer be respectful, but stick to your guns and your responses! I am as ready as I possibly can be just ready to get this over with in two days.

Guest ChiefH

Does anyone know about how many attempts it takes to get selected? I know that's a tough question but I've met several that were selected first time up and some their four time. This is my third.

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

Just as there is no magic number for making Chief, there is no magic number to get selected for LDO/CWO.
That being said, there is certainly something to be said for persistence, otherwise they would not have multiple blocks for #31 on the application. 

Does anyone know about how many attempts it takes to get selected? I know that's a tough question but I've met several that were selected first time up and some their four time. This is my third.

Guest osiris0107

Just completed my board and things went Awesome! The only thing that they were concerned about was that I have a lot of 1of1 evals. I told them that it was because I was at back to back commands that decom'd and there is nothing that I could do about that. I just have to pray that my periodic in November that I submit to the board is a good write up.

Guest DeathMoJo

For the interviews, if you haven't done them, remember you don't have to do them locally if you don't want too.  They are YOUR interviews.  I am going for 618X, Surface Electronics and there are no O-5 or O-6 6180's in the PNW.  I reached out and did a VTC and two telephone interviews with a couple in San Diego. 

I was specifically told by them that having interviews that are O-5 and O-6's are briefed during your package presentation at the board, so if you can knock it out of the park with them then it should help your chances.

Good luck to all, some great information here and just like the Chief results, it will be exciting when this board results are almost out.

Guest osiris0107

Well, my S1 just got my appraisal sheets back, but said it's up to the CO to divulge them to me or not. I am sitting down with the Skipper next week to do my final interview. Has anyone not seen their appraisal sheets before they sent of their package? Also, when labeling the attachments I have a question. Lets say you have four college transcripts, do you label them all attachment  #4 or do you label each on 1, 2, 3, 4? Thanks for any help.

Guest EMO2B

So... A little background before my question. 10 yrs in, Junior Sailor of the Year, Sailor of the Year, LPO, instructor duty, MTS qualified, former CFL at a command with 500 plus Sailors, BUT I have an ARI 5 years ago. Do I have a shot at LDO or should I give up hope now?

Guest osiris0107

Well...I just got my apprasials back and they are not the best.  I am pretty sure the reasoning behind their scores is because I do not have a ranked eval as an E6. I came from back to back decoms, so my two first class evals are one of ones. My favorite of all the adjectives that were put was unimpressive. I know that this process is just going to make me stronger. Just wondering if someone has not got the most favorable appraisal and still picked up. I still scored excellent in almost all the categories, with a couple goods. I am still going to submit my package because I have put so much time and effort into this.

I just know now that I want this more and am thankful for a true experience that humbles me and shows me what I need to work on. This is probably one of the first true assessments that I have had since being in the Navy. I truly wish that all my CDBs and midterms were likes this, showing me my short comings and proving that there is still a lot of work for me to do for myself, but more importantly for my Sailors.

Couple of questions I remember from my 2 boards:

So you are an Ensign, walking up the pier to your ship.  With you are two brand new Ensigns who are reporting to the command.  As you walk up the pier, you pass a Warrant Officer who does not salute yourself or the other Ensigns.  What do you do?

As the new division officer you are attending divisional quarters with your division of 100+ on the flight deck.  The divisional Master Chief turns to you, and in front of the division tells you, "Sir this is my division and if I need anything from you I will let you know".  What do you do?

The standard "you walk into your stateroom and a fellow officer is caressing the leg of a junior enlisted Sailor.  When you walk in they stop and the enlisted Sailor leaves.  What do you do"

What do you think about first names being used in the wardroom?

If I can think of any more I will post.  But these are the standard type questions you will hear.

• Like 1

Folks, when creating an account please use a strong password. If your account is compromised I will deleted it to protect the security of my forum. I've already been hacked enough.

Guest IS1_645X

I'm a 1st time applicant and I'm wrapping up my package for this FY; however, I'm having some difficulty completing the TIS computation that's included in the personal statement. Specifically which dates go into the inactive/active duty columns. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 1st time applicant and I'm wrapping up my package for this FY; however, I'm having some difficulty completing the TIS computation that's included in the personal statement. Specifically which dates go into the inactive/active duty columns. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah it's kind of needlessly complicated, and they don't give clear instructions on it.  My understanding is inactive duty is Reserve time and Active Duty is self explanitory.  It should have a new line for each enlistment with the beginning and ending dates for each enlistment.  I don't know how the time lost due to misconduct works.  At the bottom they want your total time as of Oct 1 of the FY you are applying to so 2016 in this case.  If your total is higher than the 14 years for LDO you need to ask for a waiver, but Active Duty isn't taking waivers, but the Reserves are.

Guest IS1_645X

Yeah it's kind of needlessly complicated, and they don't give clear instructions on it.  My understanding is inactive duty is Reserve time and Active Duty is self explanitory.  It should have a new line for each enlistment with the beginning and ending dates for each enlistment.  I don't know how the time lost due to misconduct works.  At the bottom they want your total time as of Oct 1 of the FY you are applying to so 2016 in this case.  If your total is higher than the 14 years for LDO you need to ask for a waiver, but Active Duty isn't taking waivers, but the Reserves are.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It makes way more sense since you broke it down. So I just computed my total time for each enlistment in the active duty columns and left inactive zeroed out. 

Guest Mustang6235

I don't know why we can't just use the chart already printed on the application. But anyway, quick question.

I had my appraisal board few days ago. Went very well, but all the sheets are hand written. I'm assuming the guys know what they're doing, but is it ok to not be typed?

I don't know why we can't just use the chart already printed on the application. But anyway, quick question.

I had my appraisal board few days ago. Went very well, but all the sheets are hand written. I'm assuming the guys know what they're doing, but is it ok to not be typed?

You would think they would fix the chart rather than make people create it from scratch.  Or remove the chart and make people create it from scratch.  Right now it seems like a test.  Did you read the instructions that are hid over 5 different forms of guidance.  Of which some of the contradict each other and you have to make your best guess which is the most right answer.

Hand written should be fine.  I don't remember seeing anything saying it had to be typed.  I would just look at the guidance for the interview forms.  If it doesn't specify that it has to be typed you should be good.

I have never saw anyone hand write them.  If I were you, I would type them up for them, take them back to them, and ask them to sign.  In my humble opinion, it looks more professional.

I do the same for guys that are applying for OCS, STA-21, etc. that have to have the security clearance data filled out.  They come see me, I handwrite the info on that page, and tell them to type it in and bring it back to me to sign.

Guest CTRC(5)

Good Afternoon HawaiiGM,

I believe the term means select now. Press 100 or "go" in every form I have heard it in. Maybe someone has seen it different. Good luck on your selection process.

Very Respectfully,

CTR1(IDW/SS/EXW/SW/AW) J

Can someone please explain what the term "press 100" means? I've seen it in multiple applications of personnel who have been selected.