FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

This is the first time since being SBE that I have not had a member of the COC contact me with the results.  I know I didn't make it, because I saw the select list, but, it would have been nice to have "anyone" in the chain of command call me... That is kind of rough.  I am a recruiter and at a distance from my command, but still, doesn't seem right.

It makes you think you're fending for yourself - on everything

It makes you think you're fending for yourself - on everything

Yeah it feels pretty wrong all around.  I am looking forward to transferring next year.  This isn't the first issue... I am looking forward to the fleet.  I came to recruiting to make Chief.  It hasn't happened yet... but I hear that people tend to pick it up after recruiting, though I saw the results for NRC and there were a TON of AOC Selects, so I guess my record just wasn't up to par this year.  I'll keep on trucking and eventually, God will take care of me.

Guest ET1SS

8 years in a row not being selected. I've lost hope. 55% advanced this year and I wasnt one of them again. I'm never going back to a submarine to get the senior qual I need. Transferring to Shore duty for 3 years and retire at 20. For the next three years, should I even care? I mean, what's the point if I'll be automatically passed over due to the missing qual?

I like your positive attitude. Keep your chin up. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel, as many of us do. But don't sell yourself short by saying that you guess your record wasn't up to par. It is just as likely that there was some simple mistake or something missing than it being you not performing at the optimum level. Those mistakes and things are easy to overlook, especially when you are left on your own, which it sounds like might be the case for you.

I highly recommend breaking out a copy of the board precepts, read it, read it again, and read it again until you are well versed in it. Print out a copy so you can highlight it and make notes. Then go back through your record with a fine tooth comb to see if you missed anything or fell short in one area or another. Pay particular attention to your continuity report in BOL. That one got me one year because I didn't check it, and come to find out, it showed I had a one-day gap in between two consecutive evals. Also, I've never been a recruiter, so I don't know how it works, but I'm sure there are times when all of you from the region meet up. If so, try to arrange ahead of time to get with as many of the Chiefs as you can and have them look through your record too. It is always a good idea to have a second, third and fourth set of eyes looking through it.

Stay focused, stay positive, and keep bringing high quality recruits in to our Navy! 

Excellent post

I highly recommend breaking out a copy of the board precepts, read it, read it again, and read it again until you are well versed in it. Print out a copy so you can highlight it and make notes. Then go back through your record with a fine tooth comb to see if you missed anything or fell short in one area or another. Pay particular attention to your continuity report in BOL. 

I hope those serious about going up for Chief see this. Go up there and read the whole thread - good stuff.

Guest ITC(IW/SW/AW)

I hope those serious about going up for Chief see this. Go up there and read the whole thread - good stuff.

I hope so too. I can't tell you how many times I got passed up, went back AFTER THE FACT (when it was too late) to review my record and found things missing or other errors before I finally corrected them all. I got very proficient in the kicking of my own butt.  :blush:

I like your positive attitude. Keep your chin up. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel, as many of us do. But don't sell yourself short by saying that you guess your record wasn't up to par. It is just as likely that there was some simple mistake or something missing than it being you not performing at the optimum level. Those mistakes and things are easy to overlook, especially when you are left on your own, which it sounds like might be the case for you.

I highly recommend breaking out a copy of the board precepts, read it, read it again, and read it again until you are well versed in it. Print out a copy so you can highlight it and make notes. Then go back through your record with a fine tooth comb to see if you missed anything or fell short in one area or another. Pay particular attention to your continuity report in BOL. That one got me one year because I didn't check it, and come to find out, it showed I had a one-day gap in between two consecutive evals. Also, I've never been a recruiter, so I don't know how it works, but I'm sure there are times when all of you from the region meet up. If so, try to arrange ahead of time to get with as many of the Chiefs as you can and have them look through your record too. It is always a good idea to have a second, third and fourth set of eyes looking through it.

Stay focused, stay positive, and keep bringing high quality recruits in to our Navy! 

I feel you Chief.  I don't think I am selling myself short.  I have done what you have said.  This is the challenging part of this process.  I have written my eval to the precepts for the last 5 years.  When choosing assignments, I have focused on what the precepts have recommended.  I started my career as a first class when I made first in NEGB GTMO on a GSA tour.  I got an EP out of there then reported to my sea command.  I ran a tax assitance site for the base my first year, then I deployed my second year as the DET LPO and always took care of my Sailor's first.  I then Deployed to Japan and worked with the Marines and my Sailor's and held a "Division Chief" (that's what they called it not me) position with the Marines and ran their entire division production.  I received an award from them and came home and was put in charge of a failing work center.  I turned the work center completely around and continued to focus on my Sailor's when I left, 70% of my Sailor's in my work center were EP's.  After years of not picking up at my command, I looked at the precepts again and contacted my detailer and my COC and decided to go recruiting.  My final regular eval there was a #2 EP, along with a transfer 1 of 1 EP.  I reported to recruiting and kick (well you know) my first year and recieved "Rookie recruiter of the year" in just under 7 months of production.  The following year I received the CR's top recruiter award.  I took over the recruiting station and got my LPO back in may, all of which was submitted to the board and now here I am.  I have had normal progression, sailorization, evals written to the precepts, joint and in service success, IA/GSA, community service, college, etc... all documented.  I have had everyone and their brother look over my stuff.  Yes there are a few other things I haven't had, but I do have a pretty solid record.  My progression was normal, made first, EP, transferred P, MP, Ranked MP, #2 EP, transferred, P, Ranked MP and here I am.  My continuity report is fine.  Everything is documented properly.  No missing awards or evals, field codes are good.  I just had better competition... My time will come.  I will get an EP this year and transfer out with a successful recruiting tour to put on my Eval mantle.  I am not worried.  Next year I will have my Bachelors.  So ... I am not going to blame it on an administrative error.  I just need to do better.  "I will work harder" -Boxer

I hope so too. I can't tell you how many times I got passed up, went back AFTER THE FACT (when it was too late) to review my record and found things missing or other errors before I finally corrected them all. I got very proficient in the kicking of my own butt.  :blush:

True and I have seen that hint many time from those who struggled to figure it out and then make the S; precepts, precepts, precepts. I know many say it's vague but just become an expert at it in the way you mentioned - just do it for your self. Oh no, I see another poll coming "How many Sailors going up for Chief have read the precepts with a fine tooth comb?"  :huh:

Guest ITC(IW/SW/AW)

Well it certainly seems as though you have all of your poo in one sock, Ordy. You say everything you listed is documented, which is good. Did you submit an LTB this year?

Well it certainly seems as though you have all of your poo in one sock, Ordy. You say everything you listed is documented, which is good. Did you submit an LTB this year?

Yes I did.  All I had to submit this year was my LPO qual and my Station LPO Designation letter.  Had the CMC review it before I submitted it as well.  You know it's frustrating, but I have talked to a few people who sat the boards and one person told me something that made a little sense.  He said that sometimes, in Mid tours, they may pass you up to see how you break out the following year.  I often see people pick up when they check on board.  So ... my hope is that this next periodic is going to push me over the edge and when I report aboard my next vessel, a nice shiny pair of Anchor's will be waiting for me. 

Guest DeepseaSeabee

Finally got it. Thanks guys for the wealth of knowledge and support through this forum. Thanks Tony for keeping this thing running, and good luck to everyone in the future who did not make it. We all have been there and your time will come!

Congratulations Chief Select! This is Ram from the Locker. That is awesome news! The Teams had a good turnout this year.

Guest DeepseaSeabee

Thanks ITC. Thats some great advice. I'm deployed at the moment and I brought a harcopy of the past two precepts. I know what I'll be reading for the next couple of days. 

Guest IT1SWAWD

So I got the magic S. The hardest part of this process though is seeing those you think deserve it get the N. This was my 4th time up and I know what its like to have that disappointment. I urge each and every one of us that got the S to reach out to brothers/sisters and dont feel sorry for them but do what you can to help them get where we are.

Guest kaput

After some frivolity I came back to read up on you all. I have already been approached by 2 of my fellow sailors who weren't as fortunate as I this time. They are asking to see eval bullets and OMPF comparison. This is exactly what I did last year when I got my N. And hey! Look at me now! Go find those selects (maybe after september :-) and ask for their winning record. They will share, and if not they aren't playing the same game. Ordy, I feel your pain. It took me 6 looks, and the same feedback you received as did I. I had my prospective command on my PSR... I chose an arduous sea tour, because a Chief told me it matters. I didn't even get there yet, but maybe that was it?!? Let me know if you need anything, I am an open book and hope you get where you DESERVE to go. Thanks again all of you, this ride was amazing with all of you by my side. You really make a difference, make one think harder, outside of the box, and challenge the status quo. Thank you Tony for the moderation, it is an amazing thing you have going here.

My command has a very disfuntional POA (thats right, not FCPOA...POA). When asked what I was doing on my computer wrt this forum, I always replied "Navywide FCPOA meeting." Sounds cheesy, but what is the difference. No bylaws or dues or charity events... but we are a group of like-minded Firsts leaning on eachother, pushing eachother, and bettering ourselves one step at a time. See you guys and gals next go around. I will check in periodically and provide help where I can. Later!