Guest CarlHill
1 hour ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

You can't lump us all together like that.

I did 187 days of AD last year as the LPO for BMD OPS at TTGP over 16 AD OS's and ET's. Oh yeah, I also have a full time job AND go to school full time. 

I have seen the AD mentality towards SELRES and thought we had gotten past the division and spite, but I guess some still exists...so much for "one team, one fight."

Like Forrest Gump says, "that's all I have to say about that".

I am in the second year of an SEL gig with 40 members to take care of. I spend more of my personal time working on Navy stuff throughout the month than I do at the NOSC for two days. Evals, award write-ups, Counseling sheets, AT issues with NROWS, DTS, etc. It sure isn't a two day per month job and many of us put in 50-60 work weeks with our cushy civilian employers then drive 3 hours to get to the nearest NOSC. It isn't all sunshine and buttercups.

Our AC counterparts at NH Jacksonville are very appreciative of the support they receive from the Reservists we send them, but old stereotypes still exist outside of the medical community I suppose.

Lastly, the Navy is not going to fund 4 weeks of orders for any Reservist to attend phase two with Active Duty.  Whoever came up with that suggestion is delusional. There was a perfectly good reason for the Reservists to traditionally have their results prior to J4 and this new "Combined Results" mess is FUBAR. It needs to be changed back if that is,  in fact,  what is going on again this year.

HM1

Guest HTC(SW)

Here is some kind wisdom for all of you hopeful board eligibles. If and when you are bestowed the tremendous honor of wearing Anchors, you will find that no matter where you go and no matter who is there you are a Chief. Active, Reserve or FTS it does not matter. The respect from a fellow Chief is always or should always be returned in kind. We all come from different places and have different leadership styles which is what makes it such a beautiful organization. If we were all the same life would be very boring. That being said you need to decide what kind of Chief you want to be. A Chief who looks down at his or her own brothers and sisters or a Chief who can rise above prejudice and focus on the real task of taking care of Sailors.

Good luck All!

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
2 hours ago, MR1lane said:

Hey all the more power to you guys that do that. But truthfully, how many are actually doing that? Is it enough for the navy to see it needs to be changed? 

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I have to play Devil's advocate here.

You are correct that many SELRES are content with doing the minimums, but what about the AD counterparts? How many of your sailors are skating by, doing the minimums too?

I have been the SEL for an Air Det here for almost 2 years, and I have sailors that are hard chargers, and also those that are content with the minimums to get by. It/we are no different than AD folks, both sides have their superstars...

Guest HTC(SW)
34 minutes ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

You are correct that many SELRES are content with doing the minimums, but what about the AD counterparts? How many of your sailors are skating by, doing the minimums too?

I have been the SEL for an Air Det here for almost 2 years, and I have sailors that are hard chargers, and also those that are content with the minimums to get by. It/we are no different than AD folks, both sides have their superstars...

The Navy needs bottom feeders too.

Guest Doc (FMF) E

As an FTS Sailor I have seen the good, bad, and the ugly on all 3 “sides.” We are all on one team and need each other! The “hand” can’t say to the “foot” I have no need of you. It’s counterintuitive and counterproductive to say the least. AC Sailors can be some of the most ignorant Sailors around, especially when they look down on FTS and SELRES Sailors! They often are uninformed and are just prejudiced like HTC states earlier. I’ve had AC bubbas tell me I wasn’t a real Sailor as FTS. Lol. Gimme a break! I was in an Active Duty shop back when I was an AE3 and I ran circles around the AC Sailors. What AC Sailors fail to realize is this: Many AC (Enlisted) Sailors joined out of need... they didn’t complete college and/or didn’t have any career prospects. Many FTS are the same and most didn’t realize what FTS was, and they simply got talked into it by a recruiter. BUT many of the SELRES Sailors are not like that! They joined to serve anyway, but many have Masters and Doctorates degrees and are well established in their careers but chose to join anyways. And almost all have at least a Bachelors Degree and are yet an Enlisted Sailor (overqualified to be Enlisted)! I used to think the same thing, but I must admit I am continually impressed the more I meet and talk with the SELRES Sailors because of what they are doing in their Civilian jobs, but also how much is required of them as Sailors... They work two plus full time jobs, and like my buddy, a Reserve HM1, completed medical school on top of that! But, I digress...

52 minutes ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

100% agree on that. 

Guest usnavyps1

Since this is my last look ever, I think they need to change the results to read: Selected, Maybe Next Year, or Retirement!!! Nothing so negative as Not Selected. what do you all think?

Guest Twidget Chief
18 hours ago, MR1lane said:

I can’t say what happens behind the closed doors of the mess obviously, but from my own personal experience having them there, (E1-E6), they did help us. But it was never with training. 

Those are purely my experiences. And since your on the other side, I’m sure you see it differently. 

As I said before, been on both sides and have experienced both active duty and reserves. Can't convince someone with your mindset on how the reserves actually works. 

5 hours ago, usnavyps1 said:

Since this is my last look ever, I think they need to change the results to read: Selected, Maybe Next Year, or Retirement!!! Nothing so negative as Not Selected. what do you all think?

I like this, maybe call up a reservist with a "cushy" job in a computer programming department to make it a magic 8 ball?  

Oh and being sarcastic with that bit.  Both my IA's I worked side by side with reservists, and have gotten to know a little of what they deal with.  Worked with one at my last squadron, who as mentioned earlier has his masters.  I've also worked with plenty TAR sailors who are awesome.  So let's all just have a cold one, and get along?  Been playing this game for 20 years.  Have learned long ago to not judge a book by its cover.

Guest UWANTFIREIMICE

Wow, no judgement here... honor (to do the right thing even when no one else is watching).  We all know how hard we work and hopefully we are all working hard enough to improve on any areas that we need improvement on.  No matter what the status is, we are all PEOPLE and have feelings so bashing eachother is not really a leadership tool... actually, not at all.  However, talking with one another and sharing perception is fine as long as it doesn't turn into a blasting match.  Conversations happen to allow us all to understand the other side of the fence.  There is not a "I'm better" than you side... just a barrier that for many years we have been working to slowly lower the fence and work together.  Any news yet about the results?

14 hours ago, GMFCC said:

I think you paint with too broad of a brush on both sides. You paint SELRES as some ultra patriotic over educated class that are the hardest workers out there while Active guys are all generally uneducated guys who couldn’t survive on the outside. I was a reservist at one point and I’ve been active duty for 14 years. I enjoyed my reserve and active time alike. I would offer that the active guys are working equally as hard as your reserve buddies that you mention. Keep in mind, your perspective was that of an AT3, those guys you ran circles around are probably the ones that got out. From a personal standpoint I’m working about 88 hours a week, raising two kids, and still going to school... but I digress. We definitely don’t have anyone with two bachelors degrees that came into the Navy as an E3 though... oh wait, yes we do! I was a recruiter as well, and I can promise you we took as many morons into NAT/SELRES as we did AC. All parts of the Navy are there for a different reason and all are needed... why so much infighting?

Same for me, with the recruiting aspect.

I never said we were better, an for those that took it as that. I’m sorry. But that wasn’t my point. And to say you can’t tell me otherwise because I have my blinders on, That’s the first failure on your part, to training junior service members. 

Maybe I should have worded my statements a little better, as to not hurt to many feelings. 

I just honestly feel, if your only serving certain Amount of time, then it’s not a necessity as much so as an active component. Now I understand there are those that serve a great deal, but for the majority it is not like that. And big navy sees it that way as well. That’s why it’s different to begin with. 

The arguement that was brought up of having undertrained chiefs, being put in a leadership role could have a significant effect, I can see that possibly. But 9 times out of 10, there will be a support system already there to account for it.

i did say the training never stops, the mentor ship never stops either. Even active duty chiefs that have been chiefs for multiple seasons will have mentors and training to better serve their sailors. The same will be for SELRES or FTS. 

In closing, I hope to see you all come back on here to tell us you got the elusive “S”, an with the 4th coming up. I hope you all have a safe and fun holiday with loved ones. 

Guest Twidget Chief
2 minutes ago, Superburkett said:

Sooooooooo is there any chance FTS/SELRES results will be out next week? 

Doubtful, though we could be surprised. Schedule is usually released a few days to a week ahead of time. 

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)

Results were released during RIMPAC in 2016, and I see that happening again this year, so I figure in July, probably close to mid month or so.

Anyone else have inside info?

1 hour ago, Superburkett said:

I'm surprised no one does. Usually there is a PS or YN that hears things.

The funny thing is that we have a lot of visitors, according to the stats, and plenty of people joining up, but a lot less talking.  🤔

Guest Superburkett
2 hours ago, Tony said:

The funny thing is that we have a lot of visitors, according to the stats, and plenty of people joining up, but a lot less talking.  🤔

Well I know I had issues getting my login to work for a hot minute at first. Maybe others are having the same problems and are just reading the thread for updates. Also if my memory serves me right it was a couple of cycles ago didn't they put the time line out in a Saturday or Sunday on Fb. I could have sworn that they did and when I came in on Monday I got the dreaded "N".

13 minutes ago, Superburkett said:

Well I know I had issues getting my login to work for a hot minute at first. Maybe others are having the same problems and are just reading the thread for updates. Also if my memory serves me right it was a couple of cycles ago didn't they put the time line out in a Saturday or Sunday on Fb. I could have sworn that they did and when I came in on Monday I got the dreaded "N".

I don't remember the weekend thing but that's when I get busy anyway, lol. But yeah people are coming to get there updates just not talking much like the old days. I got an alert a few weeks ago about a butt load of visitors from my analytics but again few talkers. 

:graphics-3d-smileys-313328:

Guest BOATSNUGGYD

@Tony we do appreciate everything you do on the forum for updates, knowledge on testing and info for packages sent to the board

Guest CursedSwabbie

@Tony gone were the days of 50 pages of he said she said! Before the board. And then the yeoman with the insider information! 😂😂

9 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

@Tony gone were the days of 50 pages of he said she said! Before the board. And then the yeoman with the insider information! 😂😂

Yep, but I hope those days come back. Yeah, and also the funny stuff like when that person with the legit info posted, no one would notice because everyone was busy posting like Mr. "Career Counselor" who would post exactly 24hrs before the E4- E-6 release. Then he'd quietly leave until the next results. 😅 

Guest navyordie123

First time on since last year. Just got back from deployment about a month and a half ago. Pace hasn’t slowed down at all since we got home. Seems kinda quiet in here. This time last year we would be around 70 pages or so and starting to debate how many we would get to before results came out for AD. Good luck to all this year