Now I remember what I was going to ask...

for the uninitiated, how is an officers board conducted? We have some member on this forum who are officers so maybe they can shed some light (or anyone who knows of course.)

:huh:

Guest Butter Star
2 hours ago, Tony said:

Now I remember what I was going to ask...

for the uninitiated, how is an officers board conducted? We have some member on this forum who are officers so maybe they can shed some light (or anyone who knows of course.)

:huh:

Tony,

The CPO selection boards were based on the Officer selection boards.  So they are mostly identical.  But to give a quick rundown of the board process as I understand it (never having served on a board).

The Recorders show up a week early and prep the candidates files and review their package submitals.  The board president swears everyone in and two board members review each candidate and score them.  The scores have to be within a margin of error.  If the score is outside of the margin of error they rescore it I believe, or get a third reviewer.  One of the board members that reviews the record will present the record to the board.  There are smaller groups that are broken up by specialties that are chaired by a senior officer before the records are presented to the board.

When the presenter shows the records to the board they have about 30 seconds to speak about the candidate.  They must speak to two thing, the package the candidate sent in and any captains masts or courts martials in the record.  Other than that they go over the positives and negatives and they give the candidate a letter grade.  If the board members trust the presenter they will probably score the person according to the recommendation of the presenter.  The board have a remote control with buttons for 100, 75, 50, 25 and 0.  The board gets to see the person's name and they can ask questions about what they see, but they can't bring in outside, negative information.  What they see is essentially a version of the PSR, with a section for qualifications and some other stuff.

When everyone is graded they take the number of quotas and line up the candidates confidence factor.  The confidence factor is just the average score that a candidate gets.  If there are 6 quotas for selection they will take the top 5 and they are promoted.  The 6th is what they call the bubble.  They'll take the 6th highest score and a few of the scores below it.  They'll rescore those records and whichever score is the highest will be selected.

To be clear the board itself does not see your OMPF.  They will not read your evals or awards, only the Records and the people that give your record the original score, such as the Presenter. 

I believe this process is standard for all boards officer and enlisted.  The difference between the two usually comes into play with what they look for when scoring.  For example enlisted evals tend not to leave "white space" and if they do it looks like you didn't do enough.  You'll get a bad initial score by your presenter if he doesn't like your evals.  In the officer world they tend to leave open lines and it's more about how strongly worded your Reporting Senior recommendation is and what rank they are.  But the structure of the boards is the same.

Hope this helps.

Guest CarlHill
10 hours ago, Aw/exw said:

Is there any word on when selres results will be out?  I keep hearing different things.  

Got a call this morning from a very reliable source up the food chain. Monday 7-9  Schedule released, Tuesday Triad notifications, Wednesday Navadmin.  Take it with a grain of salt, but this person has been 99% accurate in the past. I'm counting on her info though. We will see next week!

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
20 hours ago, CarlHill said:

In the meantime, I was delighted to learn on here that the Rocky S2V boots now come in black and are authorized with the Type III's. Now I'll be able to walk again normally with my plantar fasciitis not flaring up so bad in these gov't issue Belleville's, LOL !!! Plus waiting 6 days for them to arrive will kill time waiting on the Select Results. Hopefully by drill weekend on 7-14/7-15, I will have comfortable shoes and the results! Probably won't make it as a year early EP, but it's better to know one way or another.

Good luck, EP's are just a recommendation. It really depends on how strong your write up is. Trust me I know from experience. Got EPs still a non select. Guess my write ups are trash

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
1 hour ago, Butter Star said:

Tony,

The CPO selection boards were based on the Officer selection boards.  So they are mostly identical.  But to give a quick rundown of the board process as I understand it (never having served on a board).

The Recorders show up a week early and prep the candidates files and review their package submitals.  The board president swears everyone in and two board members review each candidate and score them.  The scores have to be within a margin of error.  If the score is outside of the margin of error they rescore it I believe, or get a third reviewer.  One of the board members that reviews the record will present the record to the board.  There are smaller groups that are broken up by specialties that are chaired by a senior officer before the records are presented to the board.

When the presenter shows the records to the board they have about 30 seconds to speak about the candidate.  They must speak to two thing, the package the candidate sent in and any captains masts or courts martials in the record.  Other than that they go over the positives and negatives and they give the candidate a letter grade.  If the board members trust the presenter they will probably score the person according to the recommendation of the presenter.  The board have a remote control with buttons for 100, 75, 50, 25 and 0.  The board gets to see the person's name and they can ask questions about what they see, but they can't bring in outside, negative information.  What they see is essentially a version of the PSR, with a section for qualifications and some other stuff.

When everyone is graded they take the number of quotas and line up the candidates confidence factor.  The confidence factor is just the average score that a candidate gets.  If there are 6 quotas for selection they will take the top 5 and they are promoted.  The 6th is what they call the bubble.  They'll take the 6th highest score and a few of the scores below it.  They'll rescore those records and whichever score is the highest will be selected.

To be clear the board itself does not see your OMPF.  They will not read your evals or awards, only the Records and the people that give your record the original score, such as the Presenter. 

I believe this process is standard for all boards officer and enlisted.  The difference between the two usually comes into play with what they look for when scoring.  For example enlisted evals tend not to leave "white space" and if they do it looks like you didn't do enough.  You'll get a bad initial score by your presenter if he doesn't like your evals.  In the officer world they tend to leave open lines and it's more about how strongly worded your Reporting Senior recommendation is and what rank they are.  But the structure of the boards is the same.

Hope this helps.

So there was this senior chief ( name not used of course) who attended some kind of selection board training earlier this year. He said something to the effect of the board having buttons to score your package. They were no longer doing the two people grading a package. Everyone makes it into "the tank", and then the respective panel votes on your package with the botton thingy ( 25, 50, 75, 100), then they rack and stack, and then they will brief the first few non selects and the last few selects. Look over those records again, and vote. Thats it. Well that is what he told us. This is the first time they are doing this, this year.

Guest Riverine Rat

Got an email update for Reserve results from my CMC today. 

-9 July 1100 (EST) PA product release

-10 July 100(EST) Post subject results to BOL for Command (TRIAD)

-11 Jul 1100(EST) Release NAVADMIN post to BOL for individual access

Good Luck everyone how to see you there when Active results post!

Guest Butter Star
41 minutes ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

So there was this senior chief ( name not used of course) who attended some kind of selection board training earlier this year. He said something to the effect of the board having buttons to score your package. They were no longer doing the two people grading a package. Everyone makes it into "the tank", and then the respective panel votes on your package with the botton thingy ( 25, 50, 75, 100), then they rack and stack, and then they will brief the first few non selects and the last few selects. Look over those records again, and vote. Thats it. Well that is what he told us. This is the first time they are doing this, this year.

That may be true.  I know they implemented some changes in order to reduce the time it takes to complete a board.

One other thing, you are not guaranteed that the person that presents your record is in your community.  But there should be someone available for them to ask questions about your career path.  Also your community will have a career path published.  But if you have things in your record, such as bullets in your eval, that only someone in your rate will understand that could possibly hurt you.  Officers like to submit career summary letters which helps summarize their career in a way that someone outside their community will understand.  It's not as popular on the enlisted side though. 

Guest Twidget Chief
1 hour ago, Riverine Rat said:

Received a similar email, good luck everyone!

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
8 hours ago, Riverine Rat said:

If this is true it would be amazing

Guest Doc (FMF) E

Happy 4th!! Last chance for relaxation before the craziness ensues next week for those who are blessed with the S. 

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
1 hour ago, Doc (FMF) E said:

Happy 4th!! Last chance for relaxation before the craziness ensues next week for those who are blessed with the S. 

Thanx doc same to u

Guest shindeepsailor
On 7/2/2018 at 7:52 AM, Tony said:

Yes, if someone could explain, I got busy and only got bits and pieces... I'm behind the power curve on that.

Tony,

I found this brief on the General Board Information of the NPC pages a couple weeks back. BLUF: The board has shifted to 6 community based "panels" and the packages are reviewed by your respective panels before going to the tank. Seems that this way, a BM wont be looking at CTR packages so to say.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/GeneralInformation.aspx

"Enlisted Selection Board Brief"

Guest PO14Life

So exciting!!! Good luck to my reservist brothers and sisters! I will sit here and impatiently awaiting the AC results.