FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest ChiefDevilDoc

Take this with a grain of salt, but I was told that "more than likely" this years results will be released like last year. With FTS/AD/SELRES being released simultaneously at the end of July/Beginning of August. Again, it's just scuttlebutt so take it as you will. Good luck everyone!

Guest UWANTFIREIMICE

I don't think any of us want to wait that long but it is what it is I guess.  Not really much we can do huh?

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
4 hours ago, UWANTFIREIMICE said:

I don't think any of us want to wait that long but it is what it is I guess.  Not really much we can do huh?

I got a brand new rubix cube

Guest Foley04

Unlike the Active Duty component, Reservists, if lucky enough to make it, have to plan out initiation. They need to come out with a better timeline so Sailors are nit waiting around wondering when results will be released. We take the test, have minimal time to get our packages in, the Board is conducted early so the results should be available earlier. 

Guest PO Theo

I'm in somewhat of a unique situation. I am a hometown CRF recruiter. In the past, we couldn't be selected for E-7 without having to convert to management and PCS. In recent years, the Navy created a new position of Hometown Medical Recruiter (HMR). Each of the 26 recruiting districts in the country is allowed to have only one HMR. I was fortunate enough to get selected for this assignment. Allegedly, we're able to make Chief. Last year was the first cycle with HMRs at board - but none were selected. My thoughts are that the board doesn't know that there is a new subsection of hometown recruiters that are eligible for Chief. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Guest CarlHill
1 hour ago, Foley04 said:

Unlike the Active Duty component, Reservists, if lucky enough to make it, have to plan out initiation. They need to come out with a better timeline so Sailors are nit waiting around wondering when results will be released. We take the test, have minimal time to get our packages in, the Board is conducted early so the results should be available earlier. 

We are dealt a huge disservice as Reservists when we have to wait until August to find out. Think about it. AC gets roughly 40 days for phase 2 and we get less than 20, best case scenario with IDT or ADT orders for the final week. There are also selectees who have civilian jobs that preclude the physical torture sessions on weekdays so they skate while others deal with the pain.  That does not prepare us very well. 

You know, the rumors this year were results prior to J4. Not going to happen now or the timeline would have been out today at 11 for Triad notification tomorrow and Friday results. Let's hope for July now I guess. Lastly, I hope big Navy gets its act together and stops screwing the Reservists over with these ridiculous "Combined Results". We deserve to have ample training time and to learn as much as the AC and FTS selectees. 

HM1

14 hours ago, CarlHill said:

We are dealt a huge disservice as Reservists when we have to wait until August to find out. Think about it. AC gets roughly 40 days for phase 2 and we get less than 20, best case scenario with IDT or ADT orders for the final week. There are also selectees who have civilian jobs that preclude the physical torture sessions on weekdays so they skate while others deal with the pain.  That does not prepare us very well. 

You know, the rumors this year were results prior to J4. Not going to happen now or the timeline would have been out today at 11 for Triad notification tomorrow and Friday results. Let's hope for July now I guess. Lastly, I hope big Navy gets its act together and stops screwing the Reservists over with these ridiculous "Combined Results". We deserve to have ample training time and to learn as much as the AC and FTS selectees. 

HM1

I’d have to kindly disagree with you. If you want the amount of training that AD has, then you need to serve more than a couple days a month and two weeks standard time. Given the circumstances, I think it’s adequate for you guys. The training never stops once you get pinned. 

AD does it full time, everyday all day. We don’t have a civilian job to sit back on. 

Not trying to be a salami head, just giving my thoughts on it, an I’ll apologize ahead of time if that doesn’t sit well with you. 

Guest Butter Star
8 hours ago, MR1lane said:

I’d have to kindly disagree with you. If you want the amount of training that AD has, then you need to serve more than a couple days a month and two weeks standard time. Given the circumstances, I think it’s adequate for you guys. The training never stops once you get pinned. 

AD does it full time, everyday all day. We don’t have a civilian job to sit back on. 

Not trying to be a , just giving my thoughts on it, an I’ll apologize ahead of time if that doesn’t sit well with you. 

That argument works both ways.  You could say reservists need more training because they serve less time overall.  Once they are mobilized they will be charge of a division.  Do you want to work for a chief that got half the leadership training? 

Guest Twidget Chief
22 minutes ago, MR1lane said:

Not trying to be a salami head, just giving my thoughts on it, an I’ll apologize ahead of time if that doesn’t sit well with you. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I had feelings about reservists when I was AD but that changed once I became a reservist and experienced the reservist way of life (it isn't 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year - not if you're doing your job). Sure, there are those that work 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year, and there are AD that don't get things done that work 365 days a year.  But don't mind me, I'm just sitting back in my cushy civilian job.

My anchors don't say "I'm a reservist!"  Just like any 1st year Chief's anchors don't say "I'm a first year Chief!" We're all on the same team and yes - the training doesn't stop once you get pinned.

Good luck to you all!   

34 minutes ago, Butter Star said:

That argument works both ways.  You could say reservists need more training because they serve less time overall.  Once they are mobilized they will be charge of a division.  Do you want to work for a chief that got half the leadership training? 

I can see what your saying, but I know from experience with working with reserves in Afghanistan, they had active duty right along side them to help.

like I said, I’m not trying to ruffle feathers, their training along with ours doesn’t stop as soon as you put Chief on.

Guest Twidget Chief
1 minute ago, MR1lane said:

I can see what your saying, but I know from experience with working with reserves in Afghanistan, they had active duty right along side them to help.

like I said, I’m not trying to ruffle feathers, their training along with ours doesn’t stop as soon as you put Chief on.

Yes, sometimes that happens (could have a bit to do with the training they have or have not received), and sometimes it's the other way around - Reservists helping AD. I've seen more of the latter.

I know you weren't responding to me, but nope, feathers not ruffled.

4 minutes ago, Twidget Chief said:

Yes, sometimes that happens (could have a bit to do with the training they have or have not received), and sometimes it's the other way around - Reservists helping AD. I've seen more of the latter.

I know you weren't responding to me, but nope, feathers not ruffled.

I can’t say what happens behind the closed doors of the mess obviously, but from my own personal experience having them there, (E1-E6), they did help us. But it was never with training. 

Those are purely my experiences. And since your on the other side, I’m sure you see it differently. 

Guest HTC(SW)
1 hour ago, MR1lane said:

MR1Lane,

Of course you feel the need to disagree with any and all substandard reservists. However, a good majority of the reserves were active at one point or another. We may not live as close to a military installation as active folks, but our resolve is an equal plateau when it comes to leadership and ability. Where you have 1 full time job, we have 2 and many go to school at the same time. It would appear to me that your tunnel vision will be corrected if you Select.

Good luck and learn often,

HTC

Guest UWANTFIREIMICE

lol... whoa whoa whoa... so having been FTS my entire career I can honestly say that this is the best job ever!  As FTS it is our responsibilty to support, build, train, manage, know the priorities of the AC; therefore we can recruit our SELRES to support.  We have the best of both worlds; we get the knowledge and experience by being surrounded by the AC and at the same time, we pass down, lead, and train our Ready Reserve for whenever needed.  Let's focus on one thing here, united we stand... one team team, one fight and we need to focus on building eachother up and preparing ourselves for when disaster strikes... plain and simple 🙂 so I agree, come on FTS results we are READY!!!

Guest UWANTFIREIMICE

And rubix cube? 🙂 I know someone that's awesome at cracking those... I don't even bother; I'm more of an English kinda gal much more so than math.  Even though, I do enjoy budget stuff but that is a bit different than having an eye for perfecting rubix cubes!

Guest CarlHill
10 hours ago, MR1lane said:

2 days a month and 2 weeks a year, LOL. That would be great but it isn't reality for anyone in a leadership position. I'm not going to go down that road after 19 years of hearing similar comments.

I'm told some of last year's Selectees got about 14 days of phase 2.  Using your own logic, that should rub you when the AC guys had to live it 24/7 for nearly 40 days. Many Reserve 1st year Chiefs will mobilize and be in charge of a large group. I would like to think that you would want them adequately trained. 14 days doesn't do that.

HM1

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

Come on results, I’m in a school until 23 July, here’s hoping it helps the time pass faster... I hate the waiting part my self.. here’s to 43% good luck all!!

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
12 hours ago, MR1lane said:

you need to serve more than a couple days a month and two weeks standard time. Given the circumstances, I think it’s adequate for you guys. The training never stops once you get pinned. 

You can't lump us all together like that.

I did 187 days of AD last year as the LPO for BMD OPS at TTGP over 16 AD OS's and ET's. Oh yeah, I also have a full time job AND go to school full time. 

I have seen the AD mentality towards SELRES and thought we had gotten past the division and spite, but I guess some still exists...so much for "one team, one fight."

Like Forrest Gump says, "that's all I have to say about that".

1 hour ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

You can't lump us all together like that.

I did 187 days of AD last year as the LPO for BMD OPS at TTGP over 16 AD OS's and ET's. Oh yeah, I also have a full time job AND go to school full time. 

I have seen the AD mentality towards SELRES and thought we had gotten past the division and spite, but I guess some still exists...so much for "one team, one fight."

Like Forrest Gump says, "that's all I have to say about that".

Hey all the more power to you guys that do that. But truthfully, how many are actually doing that? Is it enough for the navy to see it needs to be changed? 

The majority still only has one foot in the door. An that’s why it is the way it is. For the select few that push hard like yourself, I’m sure arrangements can be made where you go through the season along side active duty for the full amount of time. Just my thoughts on it.