FY 15 Chief Selection Board

When/how are the cycle's E-7 quotas determined?  I know they are typically released within a few days of the board convening, I am just really interested in the mechanics of the process.

We won't get the quotas til around the 24th or 25th of June. They come out after the board convenes. 

Guest Blondie

EPA is kind of important because it's Big Navys projection on their feel for manning within a rating, and on the NPC website under the Community Managers section, you can look at PPT slides that have the data for the current FY and the upcoming FY.  You can also see the projected adv opportunity% there as well.

Are you sure that's projected adv %?  My community's page matches last cycle's %.

Are you sure that's projected adv %?  My community's page matches last cycle's %.

I've looked at the EPA and....I'll just wait for the official quotas to be released.  I looked at my rating and then looked at various others and they are all saying expect advancement to be competitive.  Well isn't it always competitive?

Guest AWFChief

I thought that as well until I sat down with him about a month ago.  It was new information to me too.  He made me pull up my NDAWS because he said it would be looked at.  He said that it is the only "external" data base that they have access to.

I was given this link to help me review my record for the board.  According to this, it appears as if they look at NDAWS.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/toolbox/Documents/Plain%20Talk%20-%20Personnel%20Record%20Review%20(25MAY2012).pdf

Guest PSjg78

Excellent advice.  May we all be so fortunate!

My Senior told me the same thing!!!!!!!!! You only need one!! Keep your head and when its your time its your time..

Guest PSjg78

Has anyone's "Selection Board" field been updated on the continuity report yet?

Nope and Im a FTS so mine should have been updated already... not sure if they even update that at all

Guest NavySquid79

I up loaded my LTB on 29May and it still hasn't been downloaded!?!? I'm freaking out. Is this normal?

I also emailed my package on the 29th and don't see anything on npc yet. I was also told that they cannot verify my email was received either. Hopefully next week something will post on npc.

Guest MA02

I also emailed my package on the 29th and don't see anything on npc yet. I was also told that they cannot verify my email was received either. Hopefully next week something will post on npc.

Same thing here, when I called to have them check the inbox they told me they had over 5,000 emails to process and wouldn't be able to check for mine.

Guest NavySquid79

Same thing here, when I called to have them check the inbox they told me they had over 5,000 emails to process and wouldn't be able to check for mine.

Did you receive a delivery receipt? I requested a delivery and read receipt and I received a conformation from Microsoft that it was delivered, but no read receipt yet.

Guest MA02

Did you receive a delivery receipt? I requested a delivery and read receipt and I received a conformation from Microsoft that it was delivered, but no read receipt yet.

I did not receive a confirmation, when I asked, they said it was fairly common since I was overseas and not on the NMCI network. My concern was the encrypted email certificates doing the proper handshake with the NMCI certificates. NPC help desk said as long as the email sent out and I didn't receive an error message then it went through. To ease your mind a bit, the other SBE's here who sent their LTB in before I did have theirs uploaded and they never received the confirmation email either.

Guest NukeET1FCFL

Thanks Tony for setting up my account. 

Seems like every year I have to redo this.  Not your fault I'm sure, I don't stay very active throughout the year. Only during the actual time when the selection season gets interesting.

Guest NukeET1FCFL

I recently (Friday of last week) sent off my LTB via Priority Mail. I spoke with NPC Monday morning this week and got my password reset to be able to verify receipt of my LTB. Mine has not updated yet either, although I truly don't expect it to. The desk where they process that is incredibly busy this time of year. I did receive tracking on my package that said it arrived in Millington on Monday at 0840 in the morning.

For those of you who are asking why I waited till the last second to send my LTB in, the only thing that I sent was a PAGE 4 indicating my requalification of all quals after reporting to my new command since January of 2014. I didn't finish my last board (Engineering Duty Petty Officer) with the CO until the evening of the 28th and got the letter sent off Friday afternoon as soon as I could.

All this being said, I figure that my chances this year are about 50/50 mainly due to the fact that even though I've been in for over 17 years and eligible for the board several times this being my 10th time. I figure my detractors from being selected this year still go back to my previous years at my last sea command and the last shore tour I had.

Thanks Tony for setting up my account. 

Seems like every year I have to redo this.  Not your fault I'm sure, I don't stay very active throughout the year. Only during the actual time when the selection season gets interesting.

You're welcome, thanks for joining back up. 

After January everyone including myself had to recreate an account - the forum got hacked. 

I posted that info in the forum news  ;)

Guest NukeET1FCFL

You're welcome, thanks for joining back up. 

After January everyone including myself had to recreate an account - the forum got hack. 

I posted that info in the forum news  ;)

Bummer.

I appreciate all the hard work you do to run this site.

Bummer.

I appreciate all the hard work you do to run this site.

Thanks much for that.

If there is anyone else wondering, just join back up, everyone has to create a new account...  :D

Guest NukeET1FCFL

So I tried to modify my previous post to finish my thought with regards to my selection chances this year and solicit feedback from everyone here.

I went to Mast in Jan 2011 (Art 134 - Drunkeness resulting in incapacitation and inability to perform duties), prior to that I had evals with the following rankings Nov 09 - MP (Down from EP the year before), Nov 10 - P, Nov 11 - P (New command), Nov 12 - MP, Nov - 13 MP (Improved from previous year with regards to PMA vs. reporting senior average (CO changed mid year)).

I feel that I have done everything that I could to overcome the adversity of going to Mast. I specifically identified to my command that they had to inform NPC that I had the Mast and that this would result in cancellation of my orders for "A" school. I went to Mast 3 weeks before my transfer to Charleston. Fortunately my CO was able at least to make it so I could go to Charleston still since I had already moved my family down to Charleston.

While I was at shore duty I finished up my Bachelor's degree from Thomas Edison State College.

I have received 3 NAMs all since my 11 year point, 2 at my last Sea command (one mid tour and one EOT about a week after I went to Mast before my transferin Jan 11). 1 NAM as an EOT from shore duty in Dec 13.

I have verified that all of my ESR/PSR/OMPF documents are up to date and have been now for several years. My PRIMS properly reflects all PRT data with no missed PRTs. My eval continuity is 100% correct.

The only reason I sent a LTB this year was to communicate to the board that I had requalified all of my watches at my new command. That didn't happen until the 28th of May. I sent off my letter on the 29th and Priority mail tracking reported it being received in Millington at 0840 on Monday the 2nd.

All this being said, what do you believe my chances as a Submarine Nuke ET1 are for making chief this year, and what more can I do to break myself out from my peers? I did a lot of volunteer work for Joint Base and a private service organization while I was on shore duty but didn't get to the point of submitting for a VSM. Historically our rating has had a >30% advancement rate every cycle since I have paid attention to it. (The past 10 - 11 years.)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your feedback.

Scott

Guest NukeET1FCFL

Our selection board eligible numbers this year were in the range of about 110 - 120. Then with the unfortunate and aggregious events that came to light in Charleston over the Spring I think the selection pool is probably down to about 90 or so. For personnel like myself with a Nuclear NEC you must be qualified EWS/EDPO to be eligible for selection (not to make Selection Board Eligible though). I am qualified EWS/EDPO at my current command as of 28 May and was previously qualified at my last command (1st time qualifying), with about 10 years in the Navy at that time, I now am over 17 years and am on my last tour of duty unless I am fortunate enough to get selected for Chief this year.

Also, what does everyone make of the notice on BOL that says CO/XO/CMC will be notified 24 hours prior to board results? Does this mean that we are back to the days of the upper command getting advance notification before public dissemination? I think based on SCPO results that is the case.

I am in Hawaii on duty today so I look forward to reviewing everyone elses responses tomorrow. Hopefully this gets some good discussion going on.

Guest AWFChief

Has anyone's "Selection Board" field been updated on the continuity report yet?

Typically, I haven't seen this change until after the selection board convenes

Guest amcreed

All this being said, what do you believe my chances as a Submarine Nuke ET1 are for making chief this year, and what more can I do to break myself out from my peers? I did a lot of volunteer work for Joint Base and a private service organization while I was on shore duty but didn't get to the point of submitting for a VSM. Historically our rating has had a >30% advancement rate every cycle since I have paid attention to it. (The past 10 - 11 years.)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your feedback.

Scott

I went to Captain's Mast back in July of 2010 (drunk and disorderly and assault) and have spent a great deal of time having my record reviewed by folks that have sat the board.  Nov of 2010, my first eval at the command and after the Captain's Mast, I received a 3.00 P, Nov 2011 same reporting senior that sent me to Captains Mast gave me a #6 out of 45 EP, Transfer EP in July of 2012 as acting LCPO, welcome aboard promotable NOV 12 and most recently #11 out of 100ish EP.  I am also a DAPA here at my command with a des letter that was sent in with my package.  So you would think all that would be enough right?  Maybe.  The overwhelming feedback that I have gotten back is, it depends on the people and the numbers.  That's it.  You might have a group of 8 crusty old Master Chiefs that look at your record and say you over came it, or you might have a group that thinks you haven't.  I've been told that I will make it into the crunch zone but from there, it's all about the confidence factor those MC give you based on how your record is briefed.  In cases like ours, where you have a detractor, it comes down to the human factor.  The precept tells them to consider those with adverse information if they have bounced back, but you still have to consider the adverse information within the last 5 years.  It all comes down to how they feel about it.  I know you don't have much time left, but just take these next couple years and keep working hard.  This could be your year, or maybe next year.  You just never know how the board is going to feel about something.  They set their own grading criteria based on the current precept.

Guest AOCMAC

This is my fourth time up for AOC the only detractor I am aware of that I have is back in 2009 the first pfa cycle I had a bca failure.  my eval says P/WS on the front and on the back in the write up at the end it has a entry that says  failed cycle one bca but bounced back and worked himself into standards for cycle two.   that eval was a mp out of 365 first classes and my senior chief still got me a MP.  My question is , after that I went on to instructor duty got a p welcome aboard,  next got #1 mp and after that # 1 ep  nation wide 14 learning sites . i had big numbers for students while at instructor duty i was the command cmeo, got my mts, mts board member and two nams,then i moved on to a vp squadron and got the welcome aboard p, Lpo at sea , command rso , asst. command sponsor coord, command has mat certifier, cat team ,    i guess my question is this pfa failure is at the very end of the 5 year mark I heard they only look back 4 years on prims not sure   whats your thoughts on this ?  My first time up didn't make it, second and third my fault missed board, this is number 4 I'm at 12 years hopefully this is my turn!!

Guest amcreed

This is my fourth time up for AOC the only detractor I am aware of that I have is back in 2009 the first pfa cycle I had a bca failure.  my eval says P/WS on the front and on the back in the write up at the end it has a entry that says  failed cycle one bca but bounced back and worked himself into standards for cycle two.   that eval was a mp out of 365 first classes and my senior chief still got me a MP.  My question is , after that I went on to instructor duty got a p welcome aboard,  next got #1 mp and after that # 1 ep  nation wide 14 learning sites . i had big numbers for students while at instructor duty i was the command cmeo, got my mts, mts board member and two nams,then i moved on to a vp squadron and got the welcome aboard p, Lpo at sea , command rso , asst. command sponsor coord, command has mat certifier, cat team ,    i guess my question is this pfa failure is at the very end of the 5 year mark I heard they only look back 4 years on prims not sure   whats your thoughts on this ?  My first time up didn't make it, second and third my fault missed board, this is number 4 I'm at 12 years hopefully this is my turn!!

I'd be willing to bet that the PFA failure isn't considered because it is just out of the 5 year window.  When something falls out of that 5 year windown, from my understanding, it’s like it never happened unless you are super close with someone and the board decides to dig back further.  That is a long shot for something like that to happen.  PRIMS isn't accessed by the board members, it is only used after the board has made their selection recommendations.  It is a part of the "post board scrub" where discrepancies are looked for.