FY-14 Medical Service Corps Program Discussion

Guest VOLSFAN

First off let me say this forum is great. I've learned a lot just from viewing the comments. I do have a question that hopefully one of you will have an answer to. I am seriously considering applying to the program next year before my EAOS comes up. My question to you all is, even without a bachelorette ( I still have about a year left). Is there still chances of getting into the PA program? I saw that only 30 semester hours were needs to apply but from previous readings, everyone on here seems stacked and it seems like I would be wasting free time applying. Any answers or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest Doc_Jones

Not everyone applying for PA has a degree and they r still very competitive. It's never a waste of time to apply, 1- it gives u experience with the process of applying. 2- when u r more competitive and have all the pre reqs met, it will show the board u applies before and have resilentcy . 3- u never know what the competition TRULY looks like! This is not a board that leaves room for intimidation (lol), so u never know what areas u may be stronger in than others. Go for it, set ur standard and goals, reach for them, and begin to submit ur package ! -Doc Jones

Its been 74 days since the board ended just in case anyone wanted to know.

Ttlhanks for reminding us lol I counted that up earlier I have a lot of time on my hands holding here at this command. Hey board let my people go!! To school that is :)

First off let me say this forum is great. I've learned a lot just from viewing the comments. I do have a question that hopefully one of you will have an answer to. I am seriously considering applying to the program next year before my EAOS comes up. My question to you all is, even without a bachelorette ( I still have about a year left). Is there still chances of getting into the PA program? I saw that only 30 semester hours were needs to apply but from previous readings, everyone on here seems stacked and it seems like I would be wasting free time applying. Any answers or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Check out the OPNAV, it is definitely worth applying! First off, you need more than 30 semester hours unless your an IDC. Yes the program frequently has more spots than selected because often people are missing some of the prerequisites. Once you are cleared by Nebraska, the next limiting factor is your interview appraisal sheets and CO recommendation. I was mentored and groomed by CDR Moser, CDR Perez and CDR Gross. If you are in the San Diego area, I will gladly introduce you to them. They all are hitting around 40 years and are PAs with a lot of influence in the community. Bottom line: ensure your grades are good, you have the correct Chemistries, and you nail the interview appraisal sheets with the right people. Then make your package look exactly like the one on the MSCIPP website. Send it certified mail to Ms. Kemp and enjoy the waiting game. The worst they can tell you is no.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys. Only two candidates were selected for the EH program last FY.

Mrokoh75,

That is correct! only two were selected. They both are my classmates at EVMS. Very smart people. From my knowledge, not a lot of applicants for EHO, but the quotas are low too. The board likes to see competitive GRE scores and an acceptance letter to an accredited Master's program. One of the candidates made it the first time and the other their second. Experience and completed education is what set them a top the selections, along with their GRE scores.

The word that was passed to me are that the results will be posted no later than 1 Feb 2014, which is this Saturday. Stay optimistic everyone. Any day now!

Happy hunting!

I applied but I haven't finished my Bachelors yet.  I have well over 70 credits and just started my junior year in the EH program at MSSU. Did your classmates have their bachelors degrees complete when they applied for MSCIPP?   I knew that quotas are low going into it figuring it was worth a shot!  Getting nervous!!!

Also, what does EVMS stand for?

My classmates already had their degrees completed. One had a Doctorate, but that is rare. Not that it hurt any.

You only have a chance if you submit it. Half the battle is submitting a package successfully. Gaining the experience through the process is much needed and you cant get that without trying. This is my second year in a row submitting a package.I was able to grow from last years submission. If I don't get selected for HCA this time around, I will just grow some more and submit again.

EVMS stands for Eastern Virginia Medical School. The school's Master's of Public Health program is a joint one with Old Dominion University.

Guest popeyes

How many people have applied for EHO? I know they only select 2 and 1 alternate. So I'm curious to see how many applicants are actually out there this year :D

The word that was passed to me are that the results will be posted no later than 1 Feb 2014, which is this Saturday. Stay optimistic everyone. Any day now!   Happy hunting!

I hope this is true, I got different word.... I was told that the PA community is sitting at 102% (along wit successful recruiting for the other positions; pharm, eho, hca, etc) and with the budget issues they are reevaluating the billets for every category to ensure they have the money to pay for school and the spots open to fill. I heard the results may come out as late as 1 March. I'm hoping this isn't true, I'm getting tired of waiting!

I hope this is true, I got different word.... I was told that the PA community is sitting at 102% (along wit successful recruiting for the other positions; pharm, eho, hca, etc) and with the budget issues they are reevaluating the billets for every category to ensure they have the money to pay for school and the spots open to fill. I heard the results may come out as late as 1 March. I'm hoping this isn't true, I'm getting tired of waiting!

I feel pretty confident to say that we are all feeling this way. Closure on the outcome is something that will never be taken for granted either way. We just want know.

Guest BM1/MSC/HCA

I think that I speak for all. I love the fact that we are communicating amongst each other and sharing information. I have no idea when these results are coming out. But I will say that its sad when a fellow forum speaker makes a statement pertaining to a date that was heard with no source or valid source to reference it to. Its a disappointment because everybody know that we are on pins and needles and the pressure is building. The last thing I want to see is a date that's put out without a creditable source to follow it. If you cant reveal the source why post a date. Every statement starts out with "I heard" then that date passes us by. Im just saying people lets not be like the program website or the program lack of administrative competencies. So far this site is all we have

I think that I speak for all. I love the fact that we are communicating amongst each other and sharing information. I have no idea when these results are coming out. But I will say that its sad when a fellow forum speaker makes a statement pertaining to a date that was heard with no source or valid source to reference it to. Its a disappointment because everybody know that we are on pins and needles and the pressure is building. The last thing I want to see is a date that's put out without a creditable source to follow it. If you cant reveal the source why post a date. Every statement starts out with "I heard" then that date passes us by. Im just saying people lets not be like the program website or the program lack of administrative competencies. So far this site is all we have

Scuttlebutt has always been fine since the inception of NavyAdvancement.com. If someone heard something, they can share it here and others can verify, give a yea or give a nay. The only time there is an issue is when someone is trolling and intentionally give false information. I pretty much know the routine and come down hard on those individuals.

Otherwise, scuttlebutt is really part of what we can go on here and vetting will occur. If someone posts information that they heard that might not be factual someone usually comes on and say "the reason that is not true is because <insert reason>" - it's that simple. People do not have to reveal their source but it is their reputation that comes to light. We all learn and people are more inclined to post rather than not because they are worried about offending someone...  BBb)

Boats, I'll disagree with you, respectfully.

I'm sure we've all heard all kinds of RUMINT, and its cool that its being shared amongst us.  For those individuals who are posting what they've heard, all they are doing is sharing every piece of information they have without throwing out people's names on an open internet forum which is obviously being watched by at least Russian individuals with not-so-great intentions.  Those who are sharing the information don't have to share, but they are doing so out of empathy because we are all in the same position and are not doing so simply to get a reaction.

On that note, I also heard it will be this week (seriously).  The person who I heard it from heard it from someone else (no clue who).  No, I will not tell you who I heard it from :-)

Yes I heard the same scuttlebutt except my sources are here :) the rumors renew my hope every week otherwise I would need xanax lol so keep me off the pills put out the information you here

yes, this forum is great!  I'm so glad I found it.  It helped put me at ease by reading other member's posts and sharing mine.  Great site!

Agreed! I would have gone completely crazy by now if I did not have this forum to check in on!

I forgot to mention too that the Official Navy Advancement Center, Pensacola contact me with kudos about the website and what WE ALL do here...   This was last week   BBb)

WTG Tony and all members.