FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest RivRat973
1 hour ago, kontogsl said:

Why would you even sign that?! I would have pushed that back and stared at them.

That sends a very mixed signal to the board.

I had similar problem at my command, I was venting/talking to SCPO months after the fact that the evaluation were out and we had disagreement on how Sailor Timmy received an EP and wasn't even MTS qualified at a training command,throughout the whole year was disgruntled because he didn't make board last year, etc. So during my eval debrief I was told you been here shy of one year and your doing everything right but we can't give you an EP because it won't show the board upward progression. Back to conversation with the SCPO so his words to me were "you have to see the big picture, some people need a little motivation or pick me up once in awhile" my response wa " are you kidding me  sense when is it been a standard to give sympathy evaluation, you earn what you get!". There was a conversation about he said I was immature and needed to grow up . My Chief sat me down and told me you did nothing wrong just be careful of who you talk to! Morale of the story- never settle for less, if you show up to a new command and are immidately competing with their best or surpassing their best fight it til the end there shouldn't be no such thing as welcome aboard P 

Guest NavyChic
8 minutes ago, NDC(DSW/EXW/SW) said:

Yeah I remember that discussion. I never agreed with just letting the non-selects roam around wondering. The whole "if you dont get a call, then you didn't make it" mentality is a terrible one.

I agree, last year I found out I didn't make it because my Chief went to take a nap in his office. So I figured that was a sign I didn't make it and sure enough it was. No, in my COC from my Chief, Senior, or MC said anything the day of results. 

I'm AD, shore duty, still at the same command, different work  center so we'll see. 

I like the fact our CO goes around face-to-face to let ppl know they made it, but for the ones that don't we're left in the dark until we figure it out. 

Guest AlphaMaleOne
3 minutes ago, RivRat973 said:

I had similar problem at my command, I was venting/talking to SCPO months after the fact that the evaluation were out and we had disagreement on how Sailor Timmy received an EP and wasn't even MTS qualified at a training command,throughout the whole year was disgruntled because he didn't make board last year, etc. So during my eval debrief I was told you been here shy of one year and your doing everything right but we can't give you an EP because it won't show the board upward progression. Back to conversation with the SCPO so his words to me were "you have to see the big picture, some people need a little motivation or pick me up once in awhile" my response wa " are you kidding me  sense when is it been a standard to give sympathy evaluation, you earn what you get!". There was a conversation about he said I was immature and needed to grow up . My Chief sat me down and told me you did nothing wrong just be careful of who you talk to! Morale of the story- never settle for less, if you show up to a new command and are immidately competing with their best or surpassing their best fight it til the end there shouldn't be no such thing as welcome aboard P 

you are correct, there shouldn't be a welcome aboard P.  this was my first P in my career and on that note it drove me even harder to be at the top.  i had to prove them wrong!

Guest kontogsl
3 minutes ago, RivRat973 said:

I love this conversation. I agree completely. I got to my current command the day they got out of the yards. Sep 1st, Early November was insurv, the current LPO had just gone emergency leave and I hit the ground hard and did not look back. 76 days later instead of a welcome aboard NOB I got an at average MP eval and didn't look back from there. That first impression is key, that and destroying everyone else.

Guest NavyChic
21 minutes ago, RivRat973 said:

I agree, I got to Bahrain Dec 2014, when eval time came 2015 I got #11 of 84 EP. Only did 1 year and it is high turnover. Transferred 2016 checked into my current command Mar evals came out I had an MP, over reporting senior average, but not ranked, and it was about the same group average 84.

Guest RivRat973
4 minutes ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

you are correct, there shouldn't be a welcome aboard P.  this was my first P in my career and on that note it drove me even harder to be at the top.  i had to prove them wrong!

Yea exactly brother ! And don't get me wrong either I was glad he got an EP but not at anyone's expense  but it did push me to grind hard

Guest AlphaMaleOne
1 minute ago, kontogsl said:

I love this conversation. I agree completely. I got to my current command the day they got out of the yards. Sep 1st, Early November was insurv, the current LPO had just gone emergency leave and I hit the ground hard and did not look back. 76 days later instead of a welcome aboard NOB I got an at average MP eval and didn't look back from there. That first impression is key, that and destroying everyone else.

destroying everyone else in performance without back stabbing brothers and sisters on your way to the top.  I moved from a P to all EPs after that by doing what it took.  if someone didn't want to progress I made my way past them.

Guest Riverine Rat
31 minutes ago, RivRat973 said:

Yea exactly brother ! And don't get me wrong either I was glad he got an EP but not at anyone's expense  but it did push me to grind hard

Just remember when we had to go through RCS RCC and the instructors like to give us our motivational speeches after they got done beating us for two-four hours of pt nonstop and then running the tank trails. You will be surprised what you can do when you don't make excuses about the pain, tiredness, and all around suck factor. I still remember them to this day and look back and say I made it through that I can make it through anything. Best part about it was we did it as a team. Miss my Rat Brotherhood.

Guest HawkISback
1 hour ago, NavyChic said:

I agree, last year I found out I didn't make it because my Chief went to take a nap in his office. So I figured that was a sign I didn't make it and sure enough it was. No, in my COC from my Chief, Senior, or MC said anything the day of results. 

I'm AD, shore duty, still at the same command, different work  center so we'll see. 

I like the fact our CO goes around face-to-face to let ppl know they made it, but for the ones that don't we're left in the dark until we figure it out. 

Yes it's sooooo rude to not acknowledge the elephant in the room. 

Guest DirtSailorMAC
6 hours ago, IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW) said:

Now if we can just find a SM, we'll have the holy trifecta of dead rates!

Guilty! Prior SM here...

Guest Surf AT

Every person I checked out with today asked me the same question. What do we need to do to get you into khakis? They then proceeded with how in their opinions that I should have picked up years ago, how all my evals are solid, and how my leadership, mentorship, knowledge level, and etc... are and have been at the level of a Chief. They then stated how much they want to see my name on the list next week.

Guest HawkISback
5 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Yeah so on this topic, my cheif last year waited till 8pm to call me and tell me I didn't get selected because the other 1st in my command did and he was scared to tell me... I was like DUDE! I don't care either way just tell me... worst past the other 1st is a friend of mine and he had to hide his excitement from me because he knew I hadn't picked up... it was a bad situation. 

Ugh.  Last year like five people were board eligible besides me, so I got called in second last to be debriefed.  I thought I made it, then to find out nope.  That wassss tough.  Then we had to go to the pinning ceremony for the guy who did.  It honestly took me about the rest of the fall to get over. This year I'm anxious for the results but more guarded.  

Guest HawkISback
5 minutes ago, Surf AT said:

Every person I checked out with today asked me the same question. What do we need to do to get you into khakis? They then proceeded with how in their opinions that I should have picked up years ago, how all my evals are solid, and how my leadership, mentorship, knowledge level, and etc... are and have been at the level of a Chief. They then stated how much they want to see my name on the list next week.

Yes it's super awkward, what do you say.  Thats what set me up last year, everyone was celebrating too soon. 

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
8 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

Yes it's super awkward, what do you say.  Thats what set me up last year, everyone was celebrating too soon. 

I know the feeling last year I took leave so I wouldn't be at the ceremony

Guest Surf AT

They try and set me up every year. This was just awkward because I am checking out and they were showing their frustration of not knowing why I haven't been selected yet. All I tell them is that we'll see when the results come out, but I am going onto my last command and will be retiring. But last year there were too many junior personnel picked up. Over 100 of them were first or second time up going by seniority list.  

Guest HawkISback
7 minutes ago, Surf AT said:

They try and set me up every year. This was just awkward because I am checking out and they were showing their frustration of not knowing why I haven't been selected yet. All I tell them is that we'll see when the results come out, but I am going onto my last command and will be retiring. But last year there were too many junior personnel picked up. Over 100 of them were first or second time up going by seniority list.  

Yes, I am contemplating one board on the boat then if I still don't pick up I might drop my fleet reserve request. Don't know if they would approve it but I don't want to geobach for three years.  

Guest HawkISback
8 minutes ago, Surf AT said:

Is there ATs there? What do they think, or they are unsure?

Guest HawkISback
14 minutes ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

I know the feeling last year I took leave so I wouldn't be at the ceremony

Yes that was a tough ceremony.  Didn't want to be there.  My parents might not like the depressed version of me. Lol

Guest Surf AT

A couple of the AT1's are in the same boat as I am and the junior AT1's feel as though they are not ready but are anxiously awaiting results. As I ran the Tron shop last year all my guys were building me up thinking I was going to make it. Then seeing their disappointment when the results came out makes it hard. 

Guest Surf AT

I think seeing the disappointment of the chiefs and junior personnel when you don't pick up is harder than the disappointment you feel from not being on the list.

Guest HawkISback
17 minutes ago, Surf AT said:

A couple of the AT1's are in the same boat as I am and the junior AT1's feel as though they are not ready but are anxiously awaiting results. As I ran the Tron shop last year all my guys were building me up thinking I was going to make it. Then seeing their disappointment when the results came out makes it hard. 

Yeah that's tough.  Well here's to hoping Monday we know somethingggggggg!

Guest RivRat973
2 hours ago, Riverine Rat said:

Just remember when we had to go through RCS RCC and the instructors like to give us our motivational speeches after they got done beating us for two-four hours of pt nonstop and then running the tank trails. You will be surprised what you can do when you don't make excuses about the pain, tiredness, and all around suck factor. I still remember them to this day and look back and say I made it through that I can make it through anything. Best part about it was we did it as a team. Miss my Rat Brotherhood.

Me too brother best job I ever had