FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest HI_IT
3 hours ago, LSHARP said:

It is a little known standard. I am one that actually believes year group weighs in on advancement. I've had ppl tell me no no way but it makes sense everything else is done by year group

Interesting.  I've never thought about this.  How to you think they distribute the quotas?  What year groups would get the most?  Or, would it change from year to year?

Guest TRON828
10 minutes ago, LSHARP said:

Finally a believer lol

Some FIRST CLASSES  finally

get the "nods"

they need later in there career. Im

finally getting the 1 nod I needed. I will say this... I'm at the best command in the Navy.. hands down.. took me 16 years to find it and I found it first day I checked in last July 2016. I never had so many people welcoming. I ask the my sponsor, CMC and CO if I was dreaming. They told me NO.. this is real..Some refer to it as LOMAH.(Land of Milk and Honey);)If you know that .. then you know where I'm at...if you don't know.. ask.. some may tell yah.. 

3 minutes ago, HI_IT said:

Interesting.  I've never thought about this.  How to you think they distribute the quotas?  What year groups would get the most?  Or, would it change from year to year?

The way I view it it would go hand and hand with community health. I think they would want to spread the upper chain across year groups so all the leadership isn't retiring at the same time. Are you familiar with the community manager page on npc? That shows you how many people are in a rate for each pay grade 

Guest Yave3
5 hours ago, NavySAR said:

I thought that was outdated.. what's the year on that pub?

That same question was brought up last year during CPO 365. The Masterchief who sat the board said "the board doesn't take only 10% of the sailors under 11 years, that's a myth"

Guest navyordie123

By reading what people have been talking about. The nerves are starting to set in. Good thing I have AMI next week and plus getting ready for a boat det. Gonna be a long week but gonna stay busy cause the results are coming fast and gotta keep my mind off of that and focus on family and work. Good luck to all!

Guest NavySAR
43 minutes ago, Yave3 said:

That same question was brought up last year during CPO 365. The Masterchief who sat the board said "the board doesn't take only 10% of the sailors under 11 years, that's a myth"

I heard the same thing

Guest HI_IT
1 hour ago, LSHARP said:

The way I view it it would go hand and hand with community health. I think they would want to spread the upper chain across year groups so all the leadership isn't retiring at the same time. Are you familiar with the community manager page on npc? That shows you how many people are in a rate for each pay grade 

I just looked at the community summary for my rate.  Someone said this a couple of pages back but I'm guessing that the closer someone is to retirement the less likely they are to advance since there are already lots of chiefs in those year groups. 

Guest HawkISback
25 minutes ago, HI_IT said:

I just looked at the community summary for my rate.  Someone said this a couple of pages back but I'm guessing that the closer someone is to retirement the less likely they are to advance since there are already lots of chiefs in those year groups. 

I think the standard is the standard, if you are doing the right things it really doesn't matter the age group.  

Guest HI_IT
13 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

I think the standard is the standard, if you are doing the right things it really doesn't matter the age group.  

I hope so.

3 hours ago, OSC (SW/AW) said:

Coming from a board member "That is a guideline. Bottom line is we select the most qualified and most capable to the position"

38 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

I agree ^_^

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
16 minutes ago, TRON828 said:

Just had a pineapple boba tea to wash away the waiting of the results.. buuurrp^_^

4 minutes ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

Boba tea is gross.

I beg to differ

Guest Intel

I'll be honest, although I'm a six year FCPO, I don't really have an issue with those that made CPO in the same time.  Granted, I'm in a more open rate (IS).  But I feel people need to understand that there is a balancing effect that occurs with early advancement.  For example, I reported to the USS NIMITZ (CVN-68) in 2007.  My LPO made Chief that year.  He has advanced ONE time since then.  Imagine that: 10 years with a single advancement.  For one, I fight the urge to be jealous because, of course, it's nice to promote.  But, keep in mind, DO NOT measure your accomplishments by your rank.  I am also applying for LDO (3rd try) and my sponsor told me to write my statements "from the heart."  In doing that, I realized that I take more pride in my Sailors' accomplishments than my own.  In fact, I earned additional quals just to motivate my Sailors to do the same.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't measure your success by selection for Chief.  Would I like to promote, OF COURSE!  It would be great for me and my family, but it's not necessary.  I'm happy as an FCPO who pulls the same weight as a chief.  Just to be clear, I am doing SEL level work because our SEL is LIMDU and our stand-in leans on me heavily.  But it's not about that.  Have CPO results crossed my mind?  Of course.  Am I emotionally invested?  Yes, who wouldn't be?  But, whether you're a 6 or 16 year FCPO, keep pushing.

I understand where @papasmurf is coming from, slightly.  I am not in a rate that is experiencing soul-crushing advancement.  But, I feel his pain when it comes to watching people advance past you.  To be honest, I have looked at many chiefs and wondered how they even manage to tie their shoes, let alone promote.  I guess what I'm trying to get at is, many of my Sailors have told they wish every LPO was like me.  And THAT'S THE POINT!  We are all trying to be the example.  Do what feels right to you.  I have been "N" for five boards(two OCS, two LDO, and one CPO).  Yet, I have not lost the "fire".

What do you put more value in: your Sailors or your promotion?  I respect some who leads the way than those who promote on the backs of others.

Take this post with a grain of salt: I am an FCPO in the same struggle as you.

Guest HawkISback
11 hours ago, ET1EXWIWSW said:

Boba tea is gross.

Whatttt you obviously had the subpar ones, even me a Hoosier from the sticks knows a good thing! Lol

Guest HawkISback

Ugh we stayed out star gazing at Olympic National park till didn't get to sleep until 230.  Now I've got homework to do.   Ughhhhhh.  

Guest navyordie123

Good morning to all!! Hopefully this will be the last Sunday that the FTS/SELRES will have to wait for results. This is hopefully the week that y'all find out. For my AD brothers and sisters, hopefully the results will be out sometime early next week. Good luck to all, keep heads up and keep the press on. Remember family comes first cause no matter if we pick up or not they are gonna be there for us. 

Guest Mestizo68
1 minute ago, navyordie123 said:

Good morning to all!! Hopefully this will be the last Sunday that the FTS/SELRES will have to wait for results. This is hopefully the week that y'all find out. For my AD brothers and sisters, hopefully the results will be out sometime early next week. Good luck to all, keep heads up and keep the press on. Remember family comes first cause no matter if we pick up or not they are gonna be there for us. 

:5274:

Guest Mestizo68
17 minutes ago, Christyl said:

I'm positive that I hate myself because I went through my PSR and OMPF... 

IMG_0732.JPG.ad965381d37f279b7a480311aa6cd39a.JPG

And why is that?

Guest Christyl
22 minutes ago, Mestizo68 said:

And why is that?

4 minutes ago, LSHARP said:

Probably because as you write more Evals your writing style gets better and your old Evals sound like crap. At least that's how it is for me lol

Yes! Also, as an E5 I let others write my eval. It's just interesting to see how different my evals are now compared to then. Looking back I wish I would have put more effort into my evals. 

I also keep over thinking and going through everything that I don't have and how I am probably not going to be selected.