Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal


Tony

FY18 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

233 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

What impact statement will your EVAL have this year? READY FOR ANCHORS! Already performing at the CPO level. He is ready to join the mess! If @Vape83 checked onboard my command today, he would add instant value to my CPO Mess. One line can be countered. At what point does the continue to groom become irrelevant to the leader you are today. My only suggestion is that your closing statement and your opening statement leave no doubt you are ready to instantly put on khakis. Of course, the body of the EVAL should support those statements.

Great advice! I had a chat with my chief the other day about that. I told him that the aim is always and EP, but not matter what I need a true break out eval. I have worked hard in various jobs. like many here have scarified many long hours for my sailors. I wrote a great eval (with some help form a few chiefs who tore it down and back up). Hopefully it comes back the way I wrote it, if not better. I'm just really concerned that the looks I get from everyone who sees that one eval says the same thing. My chief called me in and asked where I was at on my service medal, its in work right now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OneLastDance said:

Been there myself a few times. If that line had been in your last few evals I would worry about it. Being that far back not as much depending on what was written since than. That can make a huge difference. Something along the lines of "Ready to be a Chief" or "Already performing at the level of a CPO" would be what you are looking for. If those are in between now and when that was written you should be alright. It does show you have grown as a leader and a sailor. If not than yes, it can still bite you.

 

As for issues and debates. Like I said I have had more that a few of those myself. My advise is unless it is safety of ship/ equipment/ personnel you should think about confronting someone before you do it. Most importantly if it is a Superior. Even if you think, or know you are right. There are times that it is best to keep your head down. It will rub sometimes against the very fiber of your being. But, a little ORM goes a long way. Being right does not stop things from coming back to haunt you in the long run. The people above you were put there for a reason. Sometimes what they are doing makes no sense, or just plain wrong, from your point of view. But, having their experience and seeing things from their side can make a huge difference in prospective. You may feel like you are right, but in reality, you're not. And, sometimes it is just their way of doing it. If you do not agree with it that is okay. Still do it. Like I said they are in the position that they are for a reason. If you have to confront them do it professionally, and be ready to walk away without the result you were looking for. The times you really believe in something than you fight for it with everything you have. But, still be ready to walk away without the result you were looking for. And, before you do start, make sure it is really worth the consequences. A lot of times it feels like it is, but really it is not. When you get to their position than you can do it your way.

I really appreciate the insight. I have learned to humble myself over the years. It's a trifling thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Tony said:

Wanted to share something @Ordy posted:

Ok, so I would like to share some gouge I got last year.  

Let me give you a brief background on me so that this makes sense.  Two commands ago I left as the #2 EP (periodic) in my command.  I had been an extremely successful LPO in three different positions during my time there.  My duty was shore based, but I was deployable.  I was very successful on my deployments and was a division chief at a MALS unit overseas in Japan.  I had been attending college for 5 years and at the time was 6 or so classes away from my bachelors.  Career counselor, lots of volunteerism, Joint service, 7 NAMs, well above CO's average with normal upward progression with sustained superior performance.  I then transferred to Recruiting Duty where I flew out the gate as the Rookie Recruiter of the year, then LPO of a recruiting station the following year.  I had all the blocks I had the opportunity to check filled with a few that I still had plans to pursue when offered the opportunity.  My evals were solid.  About 50 chiefs looked at my evals and had little to no critiques.  I got the "N" last year and about went through the roof.

I ended up contacting a Master Chief who had sat the board and sent in my package to him to review and tell me where I went wrong.  He said, number one, that he wished there were more quotas and that it was extremely difficult to rack and stack.  He said that having to move a person worthy of Chief to the no select pile was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do, but that it was a necessity.  He began to tear my package apart, which really pissed me off, by asking a thousand questions about it.  He asked... 

Why don't you have your MOVSM when you have all this volunteerism?  It was all documented, I didn't know I needed it if it was already there.

Why don't you have a degree with all of this college in your record?  I had to switch to a BS due to degree completion timeline requirements at my school.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why didn't you have this qual at this command?  I was deployable and my command wouldn't support it because I could leave at any time.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

I didn't see PPME in your record.  Why?  I haven't got to that yet, it is on my list of things to do.

Why weren't you the division LPO?  Again, I was deployable, so I was unable to hold that position.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why weren't you in QA?  Deployable.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

These were just a few of the questions that were asked, but they went on and on...  This is what I lost...  I missed out on 10 or so points for a MOVSM that would have taken me a whole hour to write and route.  I missed out on 10 or so points for an associates degree by skipping it and going for my BS.  I missed out on points for quals I was ineligible to get.  I missed out on 10 or so points for PPME because PPME is worth the same as an Associates Degree!!!  

This is what I learned... If I had written in my LTB the reasons for all of this I would have received points and then some.  Let me splain...

If I would have explained the issue with the college, I may have received points and possibly more because I was so close to my BS.  I should have sent in my transcripts with an explanation.  If I would have explained the qual issue, I would have probably received more points for my other accomplishments that I did do because I was unable to do the things they were looking for.  Finally, it's all about the points.  

Sadly, they "grade" your package.  This means that they assign a point value for everything that they find and deduct points for negative things they find.  Unfortunately, they are bound by these rules.  Even though I was super successful leading, mentoring and guiding Sailors; I had an impact everywhere I went; I worked on personal and professional development, the points got me in the end.  So I saw people on the list that I knew, that did not work as hard for their Sailors and their Command as I did, get picked up for Chief.  Even though I slaved countless nights working on my degree, it was for not in the end.  

Let me be clear.  I am not crying.  I picked myself up, dusted off and began to address the issues he brought up.  I always told myself that I wouldn't be that guy who had 100 quals and did nothing with them, well I threw that theory out the window. I got my MOVSM, PPME, Addressed the issues in the LTB, accomplished other things and left my recruiting command as the #3 (periodic).

I hope I make it this year, but if I do not, I know that it isn't because I am not deserving of Chief, it is because I didn't attain enough points to be competitive enough.  It's about points points points.  Get everything you can.  Explain things in your record.  Don't worry about sending in too many enclosures or that your LTB explains too much.  In a nutshell, anything you think would count as points, or if you want them to see it, or know why about something, include it in your LTB.  This may be redundant for most of you, but it was an eye opener for me.  I hope this helps someone... 

I'm at a training command. What I have learned over the last 2 boards from others that got selected and didn't get selected is that the write up is very important and SSP. I saw the #1EP 2 years in a row SOY that went IA not got selected. He didn't get selected because his other evals were really bad. This year one got selected and wasn't an EP sailor P and MP evals. Last year one got selected even without having there MTS. I know one that got selected without having a degree and another that got selected without doing any PME. How they select is a good question we all know they rack and stack and are left with what is written in the evals. If we knew how many points is each item we check in the box it just getting us to the rack and stack part of the selection. It's different every year everyone has their theory and when they see the list and question how did that guy make it. Each rate is different how can we help each other to make it next year. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2016 at 0:06 PM, Tony said:

Wanted to share something @Ordy posted:

Ok, so I would like to share some gouge I got last year.  

Let me give you a brief background on me so that this makes sense.  Two commands ago I left as the #2 EP (periodic) in my command.  I had been an extremely successful LPO in three different positions during my time there.  My duty was shore based, but I was deployable.  I was very successful on my deployments and was a division chief at a MALS unit overseas in Japan.  I had been attending college for 5 years and at the time was 6 or so classes away from my bachelors.  Career counselor, lots of volunteerism, Joint service, 7 NAMs, well above CO's average with normal upward progression with sustained superior performance.  I then transferred to Recruiting Duty where I flew out the gate as the Rookie Recruiter of the year, then LPO of a recruiting station the following year.  I had all the blocks I had the opportunity to check filled with a few that I still had plans to pursue when offered the opportunity.  My evals were solid.  About 50 chiefs looked at my evals and had little to no critiques.  I got the "N" last year and about went through the roof.

I ended up contacting a Master Chief who had sat the board and sent in my package to him to review and tell me where I went wrong.  He said, number one, that he wished there were more quotas and that it was extremely difficult to rack and stack.  He said that having to move a person worthy of Chief to the no select pile was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do, but that it was a necessity.  He began to tear my package apart, which really pissed me off, by asking a thousand questions about it.  He asked... 

Why don't you have your MOVSM when you have all this volunteerism?  It was all documented, I didn't know I needed it if it was already there.

Why don't you have a degree with all of this college in your record?  I had to switch to a BS due to degree completion timeline requirements at my school.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why didn't you have this qual at this command?  I was deployable and my command wouldn't support it because I could leave at any time.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

I didn't see PPME in your record.  Why?  I haven't got to that yet, it is on my list of things to do.

Why weren't you the division LPO?  Again, I was deployable, so I was unable to hold that position.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why weren't you in QA?  Deployable.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

These were just a few of the questions that were asked, but they went on and on...  This is what I lost...  I missed out on 10 or so points for a MOVSM that would have taken me a whole hour to write and route.  I missed out on 10 or so points for an associates degree by skipping it and going for my BS.  I missed out on points for quals I was ineligible to get.  I missed out on 10 or so points for PPME because PPME is worth the same as an Associates Degree!!!  

This is what I learned... If I had written in my LTB the reasons for all of this I would have received points and then some.  Let me splain...

If I would have explained the issue with the college, I may have received points and possibly more because I was so close to my BS.  I should have sent in my transcripts with an explanation.  If I would have explained the qual issue, I would have probably received more points for my other accomplishments that I did do because I was unable to do the things they were looking for.  Finally, it's all about the points.  

Sadly, they "grade" your package.  This means that they assign a point value for everything that they find and deduct points for negative things they find.  Unfortunately, they are bound by these rules.  Even though I was super successful leading, mentoring and guiding Sailors; I had an impact everywhere I went; I worked on personal and professional development, the points got me in the end.  So I saw people on the list that I knew, that did not work as hard for their Sailors and their Command as I did, get picked up for Chief.  Even though I slaved countless nights working on my degree, it was for not in the end.  

Let me be clear.  I am not crying.  I picked myself up, dusted off and began to address the issues he brought up.  I always told myself that I wouldn't be that guy who had 100 quals and did nothing with them, well I threw that theory out the window. I got my MOVSM, PPME, Addressed the issues in the LTB, accomplished other things and left my recruiting command as the #3 (periodic).

I hope I make it this year, but if I do not, I know that it isn't because I am not deserving of Chief, it is because I didn't attain enough points to be competitive enough.  It's about points points points.  Get everything you can.  Explain things in your record.  Don't worry about sending in too many enclosures or that your LTB explains too much.  In a nutshell, anything you think would count as points, or if you want them to see it, or know why about something, include it in your LTB.  This may be redundant for most of you, but it was an eye opener for me.  I hope this helps someone... 

I had this same issue, I had someone kind enough from this forum look over my past evals and found out that when my past chain decided to change my eval submissions to something they "thought" would sound better, I was actually robbed of three years worth of work... Even though they assured me they knew what they were doing... Lessons learned. Something else I came to also realize is that there is no "required training" for eval writing, GMT or schools that officers or Chiefs must attend for this in the Navy that I've heard of? If not perhaps something they should look into? I would think that something of that importance to all of our careers would be something driven home on the correct way yet? I know there are third party books and the instruction 1610.10D ch1. Thanks to this forum I now know what I need to do next to remedy the problem from here on out. What I worry is that there are so many out that don't even know why this is the reason they are not even making it to the slate.  It was a real eye opener when I found out just how much hard work was wasted. Needless to say that I'm never going to let that happen to anyone else if I can and the first topic of the next CPO 365 phase one will be the one that I lead showing the correct way an eval should be written and to not go off what someone thinks the board wants to hear.  Big favor I need is that if someone could send me their past  MOVSM  paper work because no one here at my current command has a good example and I would like to submit mine correctly and in the proper way. Thank you all!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2016 at 0:29 AM, Tony said:

For those wanting to get an early start in getting advice, networking and sharing, you can start here. Additionally, there is a CPO365 Phase I thread that many may find beneficial. To keep things organized for your sake, please discuss CPO365 stuff in that thread. It will make it easier and more relevant for later use.

The "To Do" & "Required Reading" list that you, the member, wrote and built. 

More resources may be forthcoming but don't forget to start studying yesterday!

Thank you very much for the information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trying to be ITC said:

Thank you very much for the information

Absolutely no problem. I think there will be more beneficial information coming here and in ther 365 thread. BBb)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new user on this site, but I like to get many advice for next CPO board from experiences from this forum.

I  been in the Navy 17 years now and came as undesignated airmen and struck AZ and became IT, made E5 in 4 years and took me 6 more years to become E6 and been on the board for 2 times and trying to be ITC soon.

 

I do have following negative history;

1) While I was on DDG 62 from 2010 to 2012 I failed to get ESWS

2) I have missing evaluation from 04NOV11 to 05MAR15

 When I was eligible to take the test I noticed the missing evaluation in 2012 and contacted the command, but they don't have any record of it due to time (7 Years) and submitted statement in lieu of a missing report the evaluation. This statement is already posted and I included in the LTB

3) My transfer evaluation from NMCB 5 in 2012 was MP, but has following comment, "My name is an intelligent and highly motivated sailor committed to excellence. He has my recommendation o=for retention and promotion. Performing at the MP level not a negative performance mark". This was my first evaluation after my E6 frocking evaluation.

4) Completed multiple volunteer during 2004 to 2007 NCTS in Yokosuka Japan, 2008-2010 DDG 62 in Yokosuka Japan, 2010 to 2012 NMCB 5 in Port Hueneme CA, and 2012 to 2015 in USFK Seoul, but no MOVSM

5) I'm 9 courses away from BA, but no AA degree

6) Failed first E7 Exam on 2014 (First Try) in 2013 took exam for LDO Purpose and missed by 7 points

 

I do have following positive history;

1) Completed SCW in record time of 10 weeks during 2010 (NMCB 5) annotated in the evaluation

2) I have Comptia Security + which renewed in 2015 and also A+ attained in 2015

3) I have 2 USMAP cert 1 completed in FEB 2012 (NMCB 5) and JUN 2013 (USFK)

4) Completed 10 College courses from DEC 13 to DEC 15 which is annotated on my evaluations

5) My last 5 evaluation in order 11NOV16-12JUL02 (3.71 MP Transfer Eval), 12JUL03-12NOV15 (3.57 MP First EVAL From USFK), 12NOV16-13NOV15 (3.86 EP), 13NOV16-14NOV15 (4.14 EP), 14NOV16-15NOV15 (4.43 EP), 15NOV16-31AUG16 (4.57 EP Transfer EVAL from USFK) USFK is Joint command and  was #1 of # through out my EP Evaluations.

6) I have 1 NAM from NMCB 5 and will be receiving Defense Meritourious Service Medal for transferring from USFK and SSOQ for FY 16 3rd quarter from Navy Element

7) My test score since failed test increased gradually from 33 to 44 and last one being 53

8) Before 14NOV16-15NOV15 evaluation i have some leadership bullets including E5 evaluation, but not as much as it should. Since then I volunteered as Navy Element LPO leading about 30 Junior sailors and it will be on my transfer evaluation as well. On Joint side, I'm also LPO and Non-commisioned officer in charge leading GS Employee, Contrator, Local nationals and Korean Soldier as well. I was also responsible for building petty officer association for Navy element and I took position of MWR for FCPOA this year.

9) Completed PPME, BPME and IPME in 2015 and JPME in January of 2016

10) My transfer evaluation, which will be signed next week and wasn't included in the LTB includes many leadership position; USFK Navy Element LPO, USFK J5 LPO, and FCPOA MWR President and teaching PO leadership courses heading CDBs

11) My last four years evaluation annotated 10 different collateral duties from Security manager, COMSEC Manager, Government Purchase Card Holder, Telephone Control Officer, Record Officers, Noncombatant Evacuation Operation Warden, Hand receipt holder, and CFC officer responsible for more than million dollars total.

 

My plan before next board;

1) Receive MOVSM

2) Attain EIDW pin

3) Attain Network + before transfer in 31 August 16

4) Study and raise test score

5) Attend one or more college courses to get AA first before the board

 

Questions;

1) I'm currently completing Periodic Investigation which started 2015 December and should be completed within a month. Is this negative aspect for board members? I don't think it is, but wanted to verify

2) Since i became "IT" recently IT sea shore rotation changed, which oversea considers sea duty. With that said as Undesignated Airmen I was on Type 2 Sea duty (VAW-117 in Point Mugu CA).

When I became "IT" in 2005, my first assignment was type 6 (NCTSFE Far East Japan) until 2008 then transferred to DDG 62 from 2008 to 2010 on type 4 (For NEC and I thought I needed to start sea duty after shore duty), then to NMCB 5 on type 2 from 2010 to 2012 (Deployed to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Spain, and Djibout to complete 4 years of sea duty), then to USFK from 2012 to current which is Type 6 and now going to Type 1 duty in Hawaii to special program billet. Does continue to be on Sea Duty hurts on board?

3) Does it hurt to contact the board member from last board? I'm just curious what i need to do better other than 5 items that listed on my plan and how i was ranked so i can gauge myself and be better prepared for next board.

 

I'm sorry for the long inquiry and thank you for reading it to the end and any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Trying to be ITC, I moved your post here from the other thread since it is relevant to this forum and may generate more responses. BBb)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trying to be ITC said:

I'm new user on this site, but I like to get many advice for next CPO board from experiences from this forum.

I  been in the Navy 17 years now and came as undesignated airmen and struck AZ and became IT, made E5 in 4 years and took me 6 more years to become E6 and been on the board for 2 times and trying to be ITC soon.

 

I do have following negative history;

1) While I was on DDG 62 from 2010 to 2012 I failed to get ESWS

2) I have missing evaluation from 04NOV11 to 05MAR15

 When I was eligible to take the test I noticed the missing evaluation in 2012 and contacted the command, but they don't have any record of it due to time (7 Years) and submitted statement in lieu of a missing report the evaluation. This statement is already posted and I included in the LTB

3) My transfer evaluation from NMCB 5 in 2012 was MP, but has following comment, "My name is an intelligent and highly motivated sailor committed to excellence. He has my recommendation o=for retention and promotion. Performing at the MP level not a negative performance mark". This was my first evaluation after my E6 frocking evaluation.

4) Completed multiple volunteer during 2004 to 2007 NCTS in Yokosuka Japan, 2008-2010 DDG 62 in Yokosuka Japan, 2010 to 2012 NMCB 5 in Port Hueneme CA, and 2012 to 2015 in USFK Seoul, but no MOVSM

5) I'm 9 courses away from BA, but no AA degree

6) Failed first E7 Exam on 2014 (First Try) in 2013 took exam for LDO Purpose and missed by 7 points

 

I do have following positive history;

1) Completed SCW in record time of 10 weeks during 2010 (NMCB 5) annotated in the evaluation

2) I have Comptia Security + which renewed in 2015 and also A+ attained in 2015

3) I have 2 USMAP cert 1 completed in FEB 2012 (NMCB 5) and JUN 2013 (USFK)

4) Completed 10 College courses from DEC 13 to DEC 15 which is annotated on my evaluations

5) My last 5 evaluation in order 11NOV16-12JUL02 (3.71 MP Transfer Eval), 12JUL03-12NOV15 (3.57 MP First EVAL From USFK), 12NOV16-13NOV15 (3.86 EP), 13NOV16-14NOV15 (4.14 EP), 14NOV16-15NOV15 (4.43 EP), 15NOV16-31AUG16 (4.57 EP Transfer EVAL from USFK) USFK is Joint command and  was #1 of # through out my EP Evaluations.

6) I have 1 NAM from NMCB 5 and will be receiving Defense Meritourious Service Medal for transferring from USFK and SSOQ for FY 16 3rd quarter from Navy Element

7) My test score since failed test increased gradually from 33 to 44 and last one being 53

8) Before 14NOV16-15NOV15 evaluation i have some leadership bullets including E5 evaluation, but not as much as it should. Since then I volunteered as Navy Element LPO leading about 30 Junior sailors and it will be on my transfer evaluation as well. On Joint side, I'm also LPO and Non-commisioned officer in charge leading GS Employee, Contrator, Local nationals and Korean Soldier as well. I was also responsible for building petty officer association for Navy element and I took position of MWR for FCPOA this year.

9) Completed PPME, BPME and IPME in 2015 and JPME in January of 2016

10) My transfer evaluation, which will be signed next week and wasn't included in the LTB includes many leadership position; USFK Navy Element LPO, USFK J5 LPO, and FCPOA MWR President and teaching PO leadership courses heading CDBs

11) My last four years evaluation annotated 10 different collateral duties from Security manager, COMSEC Manager, Government Purchase Card Holder, Telephone Control Officer, Record Officers, Noncombatant Evacuation Operation Warden, Hand receipt holder, and CFC officer responsible for more than million dollars total.

 

My plan before next board;

1) Receive MOVSM

2) Attain EIDW pin

3) Attain Network + before transfer in 31 August 16

4) Study and raise test score

5) Attend one or more college courses to get AA first before the board

 

Questions;

1) I'm currently completing Periodic Investigation which started 2015 December and should be completed within a month. Is this negative aspect for board members? I don't think it is, but wanted to verify

2) Since i became "IT" recently IT sea shore rotation changed, which oversea considers sea duty. With that said as Undesignated Airmen I was on Type 2 Sea duty (VAW-117 in Point Mugu CA).

When I became "IT" in 2005, my first assignment was type 6 (NCTSFE Far East Japan) until 2008 then transferred to DDG 62 from 2008 to 2010 on type 4 (For NEC and I thought I needed to start sea duty after shore duty), then to NMCB 5 on type 2 from 2010 to 2012 (Deployed to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Spain, and Djibout to complete 4 years of sea duty), then to USFK from 2012 to current which is Type 6 and now going to Type 1 duty in Hawaii to special program billet. Does continue to be on Sea Duty hurts on board?

3) Does it hurt to contact the board member from last board? I'm just curious what i need to do better other than 5 items that listed on my plan and how i was ranked so i can gauge myself and be better prepared for next board.

 

I'm sorry for the long inquiry and thank you for reading it to the end and any comments will be greatly appreciated.

If I can offer some advice for you:

It does not hurt, in fact, they (board members) WANT to be contacted. I dont think they can disclose your ranking or any other sensitive information, but they can give you things they looked for on the board and items that hurt Sailors.

If you ever have any special situations where you go out of a normal sea/shore rotation, it would be best to explain that in your LTB. You dont want to ever leave anything up for interpretation by board members.

Clearance should not be an issue. I am still undergoing mine and it started a good few months ago.

Anytime you are on a platform where you can get a warfare qualification and you dont, it is viewed negatively. However, if you do have a good reason for not getting it, that should be explained in your LTB.

The 3.71 MP Transfer Eval to me raises an eyebrow. If I may ask, what was the reasoning behind that?

If you would like any other advice, please reach out. You can PM me, anything you need. Cheers!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, Admin_warrior said:

Good stuff. I am on PCS leave and I'm anxious to check in and see why I didn't get the S. My new CO said I was missing some things. I have MOVSM, PPME, JPME, Associate Degree, Navy courses Dapa/Aware, CTT, and multiple in rate(PS) courses. I have sailorizarion documented on each evals with results (advancement,quals, etc). The lack of CPO 365 mentioned on my eval could hurt, although I had active CPO 365 member on my evals until my transfer eval which documented more detailed description of what I did. The transfer eval was too late to be included (15July) So maybe the other sailors had more? I'm anxious to find out what was wrong with my record, I'll share what I learn when I check in. Took a few days but I'm OK with the result now, I put it in perspective. I just turned PS from OS 4 years ago. In addition to that it was my first time up, so I was learning my job and trying to be a LPO at the same time. It was tough but I left with one frocking EP, one P, one #4 EP of 54, and one transfer EP (soft breakout 1 of 45). I helped a lot of sailors, and so many people didn't even know I was OS before that because I was knees deep in instructions and learning. So when everyone says yeah you gonna make it and you don't, it's humbling. But I'm ready to continue to train sailors, and also get better myself.

I know how you feel. I was really upset when I found out I didn't make it, but I definitely feel humbled now. I had a Master Chief tell me that all I had to do was make board and I would make Chief. He said "I guarantee it." Then when I didn't make it, I was like well, okay.... Now I just don't want anyone to say anything like that to me again because there is no way someone can guarantee you will make it. I know some of the things I am missing and now I need to just get those done. If/when it's my time, then I will make it. I am currently on Staff Duty but I don't work in Admin. My Chain of Command has been great about trying to get me into another position which will help for next year. I just need to get back into these bibs and study so I make board again.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, Tony said:

Has anyone outlined a plan of attack as far as what they are going to do to make Chief?

E.g Studying, college, records review, Sailorization etc.
 

I have already routed my MOVSM which is one thing I was told I needed. Going to Navy college today and see what my POA could be with them. I just wanted to take the rest of the week off and decompress. I'm till working on my USMAP and that just takes time. So now it will be college and studying for the chiefs exam in January

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

I have already routed my MOVSM which is one thing I was told I needed. Going to Navy college today and see what my POA could be with them. I just wanted to take the rest of the week off and decompress. I'm till working on my USMAP and that just takes time. So now it will be college and studying for the chiefs exam in January

That's what I'm talking about! And also, it should be mentioned to all that they should take some time out to decompress after that last round. You just reminded me to mention that!

:bigemo_harabe_net-85:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sustained Superior Performance revisited

I’d like to revisit SSP again because I have seen a trend over the years that leads me to believe that some may not understand this concept. Please note that the opinions are my own – you can come to your own conclusion and feel free to post your thoughts.

The main reason I write this, is when I see someone post that they have had sustained superior performance for years and they don’t understand why they did not make Chief. Well I’ll throw the spoiler here and now. If you did not make Chief, you did not have sustained or superior performance or both. And my first question would be “How in our global Navy’s presence, do you know you have SSP unless you sat on the board?”. When the board convenes, their goal is to get the top qualified Sailors that are eligible for Chief – the sustained superior performers of our whole Navy, not your command. Unless you sit the board, you cannot determine that.

Now, you might be the top dog performer at your command and have proven yourself to the command since day one, but what about your prior command? How well did you do for five years and possibly beyond? And more importantly, how well did that performance stack up against other Sailors in the Navy? Which brings me to two thoughts I'd like to share:

First, you can never have “had” SSP and say you are a sustained superior performer – there is no past tense as far as the selection board goes. In other words, if you had a stellar performance at your command from 5/5/2013 to 5/5/2016, that means you were a top performer at that command while you were there. It does not mean (in the eyes of the board) that you have sustained superior performance (yet) because they still have to a.) look at a few more years of your data and b.) compare you to other qualified Sailors in the stack! Was their performance superior to yours?

Second is the issue of documentation. Many a Sailor will get upset because they know they have gone above and beyond the mission requirement of their command and are sure that the command recognizes this because of the awards and comments. However, it's no longer in the command's hand when it comes to comparing your records to other Sailors in the Navy. You can be a legend in your own mind but – YOU HAVE TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

So as to not write a thesis, here is some food for thought:

  • Document everything ( Superior Performance - Well Documented )

  • Find your weakest areas (not just your rate or command)

  • Find areas you are lacking (what did that Sailor have that you do not have?) (Possibly something you were not aware of)

  • * Thank goodness, ours is not a zero defect Navy

  • Go above and beyond...

* Folks, if you had a negative bump in the road but are still eligible – you are still eligible. As proven once again this cycle by at least one member of this forum (who got the S).

BBb)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@Tony That SSP is on point and thank you.  One of things I learned is it's not how many personal work for you but what have you done to help them. Like for me I never have more the 4 or 5 people working for me but you can always get your leadership in other ways as well. You can sit on a EAWS/ESWS board, DCTT member, MTS board member. There is nothing wrong with Indirect leadership either. Right now I have 2 Marines and 2 civilians working for me, I have to find ways to always help them. On that note they can't get everything we can so I have to help my peers at the command with other things like MTS and stuff.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

I have already routed my MOVSM which is one thing I was told I needed. Going to Navy college today and see what my POA could be with them. I just wanted to take the rest of the week off and decompress. I'm till working on my USMAP and that just takes time. So now it will be college and studying for the chiefs exam in January

Could you pm me or send me what you needed to send in? Or perhaps any examples you might have? Need to send one in myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NAVYGUY209 said:

 

@Tony That SSP is on point and thank you.  One of things I learned is it's not how many personal work for you but what have you done to help them. Like for me I never have more the 4 or 5 people working for me but you can always get your leadership in other ways as well. You can sit on a EAWS/ESWS board, DCTT member, MTS board member. There is nothing wrong with Indirect leadership either. Right now I have 2 Marines and 2 civilians working for me, I have to find ways to always help them. On that note they can't get everything we can so I have to help my peers at the command with other things like MTS and stuff.

True, and while you are helping your Sailors (Sailorization) and civilians alike, the purpose is not only to help their career but also the help fulfill the command's mission. And most important is that it is documented that you are achieving exactly that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 7, 2016 at 1:34 PM, CPO_Pride247 said:

If anyone is in the Jacksonville, FL area and would like to sit down and do a full record review to be ready NOW for next year's board let me know. We can also do a digital review as well. There are 4 and 1/2 months till the next exam so use this time wisely to fix records and get feedback on EVALs. Don't be the person awaiting the board eligible results to update a record or try and see how you stack up. Getting selected for CPO doesn't happen in the few months before the board convenes. It is a process that requires time management and dedication. Keep pressing and hopefully we will all come into contact with one another at some point.

@CPO_Pride247 I would definitely take advantage of a digital record review if you have the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

EVAL writing comes from practice and experience. Perhaps instead of sending people to another Navy school to have power points read to them, we should look at training our junior Sailors, DIVOS, and FCPOs on basic grammar. Let's also stop assuming that because someone has a bachelors degree they are somehow a great EVAL writer and can chop an EVAL. Seek out people who you think have had great EVALs and ask for pointers on EVAL writing. Seek out Chiefs or Officers who you have seen write great EVALs and ask them as well. The reason you come across Chiefs or Officers that aren't proficient in EVAL writing is because no one showed them how to write EVALS or they always had someone there to pick up the slack. EVAL writing isn't learned in one training session and takes practice! I always let my junior Sailors attempt to write their own EVALS and then we set down together and I show them what fluff is, what good grammar is, and how to write their EVALS to match the precepts and convening order. There is no reason why anyone can't learn how to write a great EVAL. There are only excuses.

This is a great point. You need to understand the audience that you are writing to  (selection board personnel). The members reading your evals are most likely not in your rating in the late stages of the process. Explain to them who you are and what you bring to the table without all of the rating specific acronyms. I think they can be a detractor and definitely waste time if they have to continue to ask "What does this mean" to a rating specialist. 

Evals should not be rocket science, but they are the most important piece of your record. Every community has a different way of constructing evals. Find out from members sitting the board how you should structure yours. Be your own best advocate and do not rely to heavily on members who you think have your best interests in mind. 

Touch base with the members who were selected in your rating and find out what they have that you dont. You may only be 1 year away from putting on Anchors!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reached out to one of the Master Chief that sat the board and he actually remembered me and provided feedback.

One thing he mentioned that is useful to everyone is documented involvement in CPO365, with evals coming up if you facilitated training or led PT, that is something that should be in your eval.

He also mentioned for me that not having any in rate NECs look bad to some MC but I was never sent to C school while on the ship as E4/E5 and made E6 transferring. But I am going to talk to my current command to see if they can send me TAD for 30 days to learn more about my rate.

I've also looked at more responsibilities I can take on now that there are positions available from the results coming out like Watchbill Coordinator, and even positions within the Mess, running for President or Vice President. Also working on my MTS before the next board and becoming an MTS mentor. 

I'm also waiting to have my CDB with the CMC, and I want to bring a few ideas up to him to help the first classes show documented leadership. We have an ACDO watch, but no designation letter.We also don't have any FCPO leads for CPO365 only CPOs. I think there should be a CPO and a FCPO training lead and PT lead and I think those positions should have designation letters.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NavyChic said:

I reached out to one of the Master Chief that sat the board and he actually remembered me and provided feedback.

One thing he mentioned that is useful to everyone is documented involvement in CPO365, with evals coming up if you facilitated training or led PT, that is something that should be in your eval.

He also mentioned for me that not having any in rate NECs look bad to some MC but I was never sent to C school while on the ship as E4/E5 and made E6 transferring. But I am going to talk to my current command to see if they can send me TAD for 30 days to learn more about my rate.

I've also looked at more responsibilities I can take on now that there are positions available from the results coming out like Watchbill Coordinator, and even positions within the Mess, running for President or Vice President. Also working on my MTS before the next board and becoming an MTS mentor. 

I'm also waiting to have my CDB with the CMC, and I want to bring a few ideas up to him to help the first classes show documented leadership. We have an ACDO watch, but no designation letter.We also don't have any FCPO leads for CPO365 only CPOs. I think there should be a CPO and a FCPO training lead and PT lead and I think those positions should have designation letters.

Nice, I did the same thing. The Master Chief I talked to brought up CPO365 and said it was looked at hard this year.  Another thing that got brought up was I got my SEJPME, PPME & MTS after I made board. Sucks but that's how it fell. He said the board will give you points but can still look negatively because it looks like I only did it because I made board. So if anyone in here is working on that, I would have it done prior too board results, just to take that suspicion away from the board.  For you @NavyChic we have 2 FCPO and 2 CPO's that run CPO365 so it can be done and I would push for it for sure.

Another thing we talked about was USMAP and college which he said were looked hard this year too, USMAP is super easy and only take a couple minutes to account for your 40 hour work week in port/shore duty and more if you are out to sea.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2016 at 4:27 PM, IT_uno said:

If I can offer some advice for you:

It does not hurt, in fact, they (board members) WANT to be contacted. I dont think they can disclose your ranking or any other sensitive information, but they can give you things they looked for on the board and items that hurt Sailors.

If you ever have any special situations where you go out of a normal sea/shore rotation, it would be best to explain that in your LTB. You dont want to ever leave anything up for interpretation by board members.

Clearance should not be an issue. I am still undergoing mine and it started a good few months ago.

Anytime you are on a platform where you can get a warfare qualification and you dont, it is viewed negatively. However, if you do have a good reason for not getting it, that should be explained in your LTB.

The 3.71 MP Transfer Eval to me raises an eyebrow. If I may ask, what was the reasoning behind that?

If you would like any other advice, please reach out. You can PM me, anything you need. Cheers!

Thank you for your feed back. The main reason that I got what I got for transfer eval was the lack of leadership, but I tried to fix that issue since i came to USFK. Again thank you very much, still getting used to this forum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

Nice, I did the same thing. The Master Chief I talked to brought up CPO365 and said it was looked at hard this year.  Another thing that got brought up was I got my SEJPME, PPME & MTS after I made board. Sucks but that's how it fell. He said the board will give you points but can still look negatively because it looks like I only did it because I made board. So if anyone in here is working on that, I would have it done prior too board results, just to take that suspicion away from the board.  For you @NavyChic we have 2 FCPO and 2 CPO's that run CPO365 so it can be done and I would push for it for sure.

Another thing we talked about was USMAP and college which he said were looked hard this year too, USMAP is super easy and only take a couple minutes to account for your 40 hour work week in port/shore duty and more if you are out to sea.

For PPME, SEJPME,I can see why it is something that can be looked at negatively if you finish it after you make board. I feel like MTS is kinda out of your control if you get it after you are SBE, like for me I officially can't start working on my MTS until next month because you have to wait six months to even start, so I can try to be finish by January or February before exam results are released but if not I'll at least try before the sending a LTB. 

I've also started studying because I don't want to have hit all wickets, leadership,PPME, JPME, SEJPME, college, etc. and not make board.  I am also working on running and working out so I am good for PRT, I've been cutting it close and I know I need to work out more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NavyChic You have ample time to have it done prior to LTB submission. Really just got to knock it out quick. Mine took a minute because I failed the first board I did and did it 2 weeks later and the time fell after SBE's were announced. You being a fairly new instructor, I believe the board would see that and not ping you for it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having some trouble getting ahold of some refs on my bibs. Anyone have copies of OP4 rev 11, OP5 rev 7, mag sprink handbook rev 4, or basic cooling systems for shipboard electronics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question for the room. One of my FF said that a Master Chief told him that there is a spot where you can see where you ranked if you didn't get selected. I've never heard of this! Can anyone help me out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

    • navyboy1
    • SWSeabee