FY18 Chief Selection Board

On 8/4/2016 at 0:29 AM, Tony said:

For those wanting to get an early start in getting advice, networking and sharing, you can start here. Additionally, there is a CPO365 Phase I thread that many may find beneficial. To keep things organized for your sake, please discuss CPO365 stuff in that thread. It will make it easier and more relevant for later use.

The "To Do" & "Required Reading" list that you, the member, wrote and built. 

More resources may be forthcoming but don't forget to start studying yesterday!

Thank you very much for the information

2 hours ago, Trying to be ITC said:

Thank you very much for the information

Absolutely no problem. I think there will be more beneficial information coming here and in ther 365 thread. BBb)

I'm new user on this site, but I like to get many advice for next CPO board from experiences from this forum.

I  been in the Navy 17 years now and came as undesignated airmen and struck AZ and became IT, made E5 in 4 years and took me 6 more years to become E6 and been on the board for 2 times and trying to be ITC soon.

I do have following negative history;

1) While I was on DDG 62 from 2010 to 2012 I failed to get ESWS

2) I have missing evaluation from 04NOV11 to 05MAR15

When I was eligible to take the test I noticed the missing evaluation in 2012 and contacted the command, but they don't have any record of it due to time (7 Years) and submitted statement in lieu of a missing report the evaluation. This statement is already posted and I included in the LTB

3) My transfer evaluation from NMCB 5 in 2012 was MP, but has following comment, "My name is an intelligent and highly motivated sailor committed to excellence. He has my recommendation o=for retention and promotion. Performing at the MP level not a negative performance mark". This was my first evaluation after my E6 frocking evaluation.

4) Completed multiple volunteer during 2004 to 2007 NCTS in Yokosuka Japan, 2008-2010 DDG 62 in Yokosuka Japan, 2010 to 2012 NMCB 5 in Port Hueneme CA, and 2012 to 2015 in USFK Seoul, but no MOVSM

5) I'm 9 courses away from BA, but no AA degree

6) Failed first E7 Exam on 2014 (First Try) in 2013 took exam for LDO Purpose and missed by 7 points

I do have following positive history;

1) Completed SCW in record time of 10 weeks during 2010 (NMCB 5) annotated in the evaluation

2) I have Comptia Security + which renewed in 2015 and also A+ attained in 2015

3) I have 2 USMAP cert 1 completed in FEB 2012 (NMCB 5) and JUN 2013 (USFK)

4) Completed 10 College courses from DEC 13 to DEC 15 which is annotated on my evaluations

5) My last 5 evaluation in order 11NOV16-12JUL02 (3.71 MP Transfer Eval), 12JUL03-12NOV15 (3.57 MP First EVAL From USFK), 12NOV16-13NOV15 (3.86 EP), 13NOV16-14NOV15 (4.14 EP), 14NOV16-15NOV15 (4.43 EP), 15NOV16-31AUG16 (4.57 EP Transfer EVAL from USFK) USFK is Joint command and  was #1 of # through out my EP Evaluations.

6) I have 1 NAM from NMCB 5 and will be receiving Defense Meritourious Service Medal for transferring from USFK and SSOQ for FY 16 3rd quarter from Navy Element

7) My test score since failed test increased gradually from 33 to 44 and last one being 53

8) Before 14NOV16-15NOV15 evaluation i have some leadership bullets including E5 evaluation, but not as much as it should. Since then I volunteered as Navy Element LPO leading about 30 Junior sailors and it will be on my transfer evaluation as well. On Joint side, I'm also LPO and Non-commisioned officer in charge leading GS Employee, Contrator, Local nationals and Korean Soldier as well. I was also responsible for building petty officer association for Navy element and I took position of MWR for FCPOA this year.

9) Completed PPME, BPME and IPME in 2015 and JPME in January of 2016

10) My transfer evaluation, which will be signed next week and wasn't included in the LTB includes many leadership position; USFK Navy Element LPO, USFK J5 LPO, and FCPOA MWR President and teaching PO leadership courses heading CDBs

11) My last four years evaluation annotated 10 different collateral duties from Security manager, COMSEC Manager, Government Purchase Card Holder, Telephone Control Officer, Record Officers, Noncombatant Evacuation Operation Warden, Hand receipt holder, and CFC officer responsible for more than million dollars total.

My plan before next board;

1) Receive MOVSM

2) Attain EIDW pin

3) Attain Network + before transfer in 31 August 16

4) Study and raise test score

5) Attend one or more college courses to get AA first before the board

Questions;

1) I'm currently completing Periodic Investigation which started 2015 December and should be completed within a month. Is this negative aspect for board members? I don't think it is, but wanted to verify

2) Since i became "IT" recently IT sea shore rotation changed, which oversea considers sea duty. With that said as Undesignated Airmen I was on Type 2 Sea duty (VAW-117 in Point Mugu CA).

When I became "IT" in 2005, my first assignment was type 6 (NCTSFE Far East Japan) until 2008 then transferred to DDG 62 from 2008 to 2010 on type 4 (For NEC and I thought I needed to start sea duty after shore duty), then to NMCB 5 on type 2 from 2010 to 2012 (Deployed to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Spain, and Djibout to complete 4 years of sea duty), then to USFK from 2012 to current which is Type 6 and now going to Type 1 duty in Hawaii to special program billet. Does continue to be on Sea Duty hurts on board?

3) Does it hurt to contact the board member from last board? I'm just curious what i need to do better other than 5 items that listed on my plan and how i was ranked so i can gauge myself and be better prepared for next board.

I'm sorry for the long inquiry and thank you for reading it to the end and any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
6 hours ago, Trying to be ITC said:

I'm new user on this site, but I like to get many advice for next CPO board from experiences from this forum.

I  been in the Navy 17 years now and came as undesignated airmen and struck AZ and became IT, made E5 in 4 years and took me 6 more years to become E6 and been on the board for 2 times and trying to be ITC soon.

I do have following negative history;

1) While I was on DDG 62 from 2010 to 2012 I failed to get ESWS

2) I have missing evaluation from 04NOV11 to 05MAR15

When I was eligible to take the test I noticed the missing evaluation in 2012 and contacted the command, but they don't have any record of it due to time (7 Years) and submitted statement in lieu of a missing report the evaluation. This statement is already posted and I included in the LTB

3) My transfer evaluation from NMCB 5 in 2012 was MP, but has following comment, "My name is an intelligent and highly motivated sailor committed to excellence. He has my recommendation o=for retention and promotion. Performing at the MP level not a negative performance mark". This was my first evaluation after my E6 frocking evaluation.

4) Completed multiple volunteer during 2004 to 2007 NCTS in Yokosuka Japan, 2008-2010 DDG 62 in Yokosuka Japan, 2010 to 2012 NMCB 5 in Port Hueneme CA, and 2012 to 2015 in USFK Seoul, but no MOVSM

5) I'm 9 courses away from BA, but no AA degree

6) Failed first E7 Exam on 2014 (First Try) in 2013 took exam for LDO Purpose and missed by 7 points

I do have following positive history;

1) Completed SCW in record time of 10 weeks during 2010 (NMCB 5) annotated in the evaluation

2) I have Comptia Security + which renewed in 2015 and also A+ attained in 2015

3) I have 2 USMAP cert 1 completed in FEB 2012 (NMCB 5) and JUN 2013 (USFK)

4) Completed 10 College courses from DEC 13 to DEC 15 which is annotated on my evaluations

5) My last 5 evaluation in order 11NOV16-12JUL02 (3.71 MP Transfer Eval), 12JUL03-12NOV15 (3.57 MP First EVAL From USFK), 12NOV16-13NOV15 (3.86 EP), 13NOV16-14NOV15 (4.14 EP), 14NOV16-15NOV15 (4.43 EP), 15NOV16-31AUG16 (4.57 EP Transfer EVAL from USFK) USFK is Joint command and  was #1 of # through out my EP Evaluations.

6) I have 1 NAM from NMCB 5 and will be receiving Defense Meritourious Service Medal for transferring from USFK and SSOQ for FY 16 3rd quarter from Navy Element

7) My test score since failed test increased gradually from 33 to 44 and last one being 53

8) Before 14NOV16-15NOV15 evaluation i have some leadership bullets including E5 evaluation, but not as much as it should. Since then I volunteered as Navy Element LPO leading about 30 Junior sailors and it will be on my transfer evaluation as well. On Joint side, I'm also LPO and Non-commisioned officer in charge leading GS Employee, Contrator, Local nationals and Korean Soldier as well. I was also responsible for building petty officer association for Navy element and I took position of MWR for FCPOA this year.

9) Completed PPME, BPME and IPME in 2015 and JPME in January of 2016

10) My transfer evaluation, which will be signed next week and wasn't included in the LTB includes many leadership position; USFK Navy Element LPO, USFK J5 LPO, and FCPOA MWR President and teaching PO leadership courses heading CDBs

11) My last four years evaluation annotated 10 different collateral duties from Security manager, COMSEC Manager, Government Purchase Card Holder, Telephone Control Officer, Record Officers, Noncombatant Evacuation Operation Warden, Hand receipt holder, and CFC officer responsible for more than million dollars total.

My plan before next board;

1) Receive MOVSM

2) Attain EIDW pin

3) Attain Network + before transfer in 31 August 16

4) Study and raise test score

5) Attend one or more college courses to get AA first before the board

Questions;

1) I'm currently completing Periodic Investigation which started 2015 December and should be completed within a month. Is this negative aspect for board members? I don't think it is, but wanted to verify

2) Since i became "IT" recently IT sea shore rotation changed, which oversea considers sea duty. With that said as Undesignated Airmen I was on Type 2 Sea duty (VAW-117 in Point Mugu CA).

When I became "IT" in 2005, my first assignment was type 6 (NCTSFE Far East Japan) until 2008 then transferred to DDG 62 from 2008 to 2010 on type 4 (For NEC and I thought I needed to start sea duty after shore duty), then to NMCB 5 on type 2 from 2010 to 2012 (Deployed to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Spain, and Djibout to complete 4 years of sea duty), then to USFK from 2012 to current which is Type 6 and now going to Type 1 duty in Hawaii to special program billet. Does continue to be on Sea Duty hurts on board?

3) Does it hurt to contact the board member from last board? I'm just curious what i need to do better other than 5 items that listed on my plan and how i was ranked so i can gauge myself and be better prepared for next board.

I'm sorry for the long inquiry and thank you for reading it to the end and any comments will be greatly appreciated.

If I can offer some advice for you:

It does not hurt, in fact, they (board members) WANT to be contacted. I dont think they can disclose your ranking or any other sensitive information, but they can give you things they looked for on the board and items that hurt Sailors.

If you ever have any special situations where you go out of a normal sea/shore rotation, it would be best to explain that in your LTB. You dont want to ever leave anything up for interpretation by board members.

Clearance should not be an issue. I am still undergoing mine and it started a good few months ago.

Anytime you are on a platform where you can get a warfare qualification and you dont, it is viewed negatively. However, if you do have a good reason for not getting it, that should be explained in your LTB.

The 3.71 MP Transfer Eval to me raises an eyebrow. If I may ask, what was the reasoning behind that?

If you would like any other advice, please reach out. You can PM me, anything you need. Cheers!

Guest PS1_Flo
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, Admin_warrior said:

Good stuff. I am on PCS leave and I'm anxious to check in and see why I didn't get the S. My new CO said I was missing some things. I have MOVSM, PPME, JPME, Associate Degree, Navy courses Dapa/Aware, CTT, and multiple in rate(PS) courses. I have sailorizarion documented on each evals with results (advancement,quals, etc). The lack of CPO 365 mentioned on my eval could hurt, although I had active CPO 365 member on my evals until my transfer eval which documented more detailed description of what I did. The transfer eval was too late to be included (15July) So maybe the other sailors had more? I'm anxious to find out what was wrong with my record, I'll share what I learn when I check in. Took a few days but I'm OK with the result now, I put it in perspective. I just turned PS from OS 4 years ago. In addition to that it was my first time up, so I was learning my job and trying to be a LPO at the same time. It was tough but I left with one frocking EP, one P, one #4 EP of 54, and one transfer EP (soft breakout 1 of 45). I helped a lot of sailors, and so many people didn't even know I was OS before that because I was knees deep in instructions and learning. So when everyone says yeah you gonna make it and you don't, it's humbling. But I'm ready to continue to train sailors, and also get better myself.

I know how you feel. I was really upset when I found out I didn't make it, but I definitely feel humbled now. I had a Master Chief tell me that all I had to do was make board and I would make Chief. He said "I guarantee it." Then when I didn't make it, I was like well, okay.... Now I just don't want anyone to say anything like that to me again because there is no way someone can guarantee you will make it. I know some of the things I am missing and now I need to just get those done. If/when it's my time, then I will make it. I am currently on Staff Duty but I don't work in Admin. My Chain of Command has been great about trying to get me into another position which will help for next year. I just need to get back into these bibs and study so I make board again.

Guest NAVYGUY209
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, Tony said:

Has anyone outlined a plan of attack as far as what they are going to do to make Chief?

E.g Studying, college, records review, Sailorization etc.

I have already routed my MOVSM which is one thing I was told I needed. Going to Navy college today and see what my POA could be with them. I just wanted to take the rest of the week off and decompress. I'm till working on my USMAP and that just takes time. So now it will be college and studying for the chiefs exam in January

1 minute ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

I have already routed my MOVSM which is one thing I was told I needed. Going to Navy college today and see what my POA could be with them. I just wanted to take the rest of the week off and decompress. I'm till working on my USMAP and that just takes time. So now it will be college and studying for the chiefs exam in January

That's what I'm talking about! And also, it should be mentioned to all that they should take some time out to decompress after that last round. You just reminded me to mention that!

:bigemo_harabe_net-85:

Sustained Superior Performance revisited

I’d like to revisit SSP again because I have seen a trend over the years that leads me to believe that some may not understand this concept. Please note that the opinions are my own – you can come to your own conclusion and feel free to post your thoughts.

The main reason I write this, is when I see someone post that they have had sustained superior performance for years and they don’t understand why they did not make Chief. Well I’ll throw the spoiler here and now. If you did not make Chief, you did not have sustained or superior performance or both. And my first question would be “How in our global Navy’s presence, do you know you have SSP unless you sat on the board?”. When the board convenes, their goal is to get the top qualified Sailors that are eligible for Chief – the sustained superior performers of our whole Navy, not your command. Unless you sit the board, you cannot determine that.

Now, you might be the top dog performer at your command and have proven yourself to the command since day one, but what about your prior command? How well did you do for five years and possibly beyond? And more importantly, how well did that performance stack up against other Sailors in the Navy? Which brings me to two thoughts I'd like to share:

First, you can never have “had” SSP and say you are a sustained superior performer – there is no past tense as far as the selection board goes. In other words, if you had a stellar performance at your command from 5/5/2013 to 5/5/2016, that means you were a top performer at that command while you were there. It does not mean (in the eyes of the board) that you have sustained superior performance (yet) because they still have to a.) look at a few more years of your data and b.) compare you to other qualified Sailors in the stack! Was their performance superior to yours?

Second is the issue of documentation. Many a Sailor will get upset because they know they have gone above and beyond the mission requirement of their command and are sure that the command recognizes this because of the awards and comments. However, it's no longer in the command's hand when it comes to comparing your records to other Sailors in the Navy. You can be a legend in your own mind but – YOU HAVE TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

So as to not write a thesis, here is some food for thought:

• Document everything ( Superior Performance - Well Documented )

• Find your weakest areas (not just your rate or command)

• Find areas you are lacking (what did that Sailor have that you do not have?) (Possibly something you were not aware of)

• * Thank goodness, ours is not a zero defect Navy

• Go above and beyond...

* Folks, if you had a negative bump in the road but are still eligible – you are still eligible. As proven once again this cycle by at least one member of this forum (who got the S).

BBb)

Guest NAVYGUY209

@Tony That SSP is on point and thank you.  One of things I learned is it's not how many personal work for you but what have you done to help them. Like for me I never have more the 4 or 5 people working for me but you can always get your leadership in other ways as well. You can sit on a EAWS/ESWS board, DCTT member, MTS board member. There is nothing wrong with Indirect leadership either. Right now I have 2 Marines and 2 civilians working for me, I have to find ways to always help them. On that note they can't get everything we can so I have to help my peers at the command with other things like MTS and stuff.

3 hours ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

Could you pm me or send me what you needed to send in? Or perhaps any examples you might have? Need to send one in myself.

Just now, NAVYGUY209 said:

@Tony That SSP is on point and thank you.  One of things I learned is it's not how many personal work for you but what have you done to help them. Like for me I never have more the 4 or 5 people working for me but you can always get your leadership in other ways as well. You can sit on a EAWS/ESWS board, DCTT member, MTS board member. There is nothing wrong with Indirect leadership either. Right now I have 2 Marines and 2 civilians working for me, I have to find ways to always help them. On that note they can't get everything we can so I have to help my peers at the command with other things like MTS and stuff.

True, and while you are helping your Sailors (Sailorization) and civilians alike, the purpose is not only to help their career but also the help fulfill the command's mission. And most important is that it is documented that you are achieving exactly that. 

Guest HMSFIDC
On August 7, 2016 at 1:34 PM, CPO_Pride247 said:

If anyone is in the Jacksonville, FL area and would like to sit down and do a full record review to be ready NOW for next year's board let me know. We can also do a digital review as well. There are 4 and 1/2 months till the next exam so use this time wisely to fix records and get feedback on EVALs. Don't be the person awaiting the board eligible results to update a record or try and see how you stack up. Getting selected for CPO doesn't happen in the few months before the board convenes. It is a process that requires time management and dedication. Keep pressing and hopefully we will all come into contact with one another at some point.

@CPO_Pride247 I would definitely take advantage of a digital record review if you have the time. 

Guest NavyChic

I reached out to one of the Master Chief that sat the board and he actually remembered me and provided feedback.

One thing he mentioned that is useful to everyone is documented involvement in CPO365, with evals coming up if you facilitated training or led PT, that is something that should be in your eval.

He also mentioned for me that not having any in rate NECs look bad to some MC but I was never sent to C school while on the ship as E4/E5 and made E6 transferring. But I am going to talk to my current command to see if they can send me TAD for 30 days to learn more about my rate.

I've also looked at more responsibilities I can take on now that there are positions available from the results coming out like Watchbill Coordinator, and even positions within the Mess, running for President or Vice President. Also working on my MTS before the next board and becoming an MTS mentor. 

I'm also waiting to have my CDB with the CMC, and I want to bring a few ideas up to him to help the first classes show documented leadership. We have an ACDO watch, but no designation letter.We also don't have any FCPO leads for CPO365 only CPOs. I think there should be a CPO and a FCPO training lead and PT lead and I think those positions should have designation letters.

Guest NAVYGUY209
28 minutes ago, NavyChic said:

I reached out to one of the Master Chief that sat the board and he actually remembered me and provided feedback.

One thing he mentioned that is useful to everyone is documented involvement in CPO365, with evals coming up if you facilitated training or led PT, that is something that should be in your eval.

He also mentioned for me that not having any in rate NECs look bad to some MC but I was never sent to C school while on the ship as E4/E5 and made E6 transferring. But I am going to talk to my current command to see if they can send me TAD for 30 days to learn more about my rate.

I've also looked at more responsibilities I can take on now that there are positions available from the results coming out like Watchbill Coordinator, and even positions within the Mess, running for President or Vice President. Also working on my MTS before the next board and becoming an MTS mentor. 

I'm also waiting to have my CDB with the CMC, and I want to bring a few ideas up to him to help the first classes show documented leadership. We have an ACDO watch, but no designation letter.We also don't have any FCPO leads for CPO365 only CPOs. I think there should be a CPO and a FCPO training lead and PT lead and I think those positions should have designation letters.

Nice, I did the same thing. The Master Chief I talked to brought up CPO365 and said it was looked at hard this year.  Another thing that got brought up was I got my SEJPME, PPME & MTS after I made board. Sucks but that's how it fell. He said the board will give you points but can still look negatively because it looks like I only did it because I made board. So if anyone in here is working on that, I would have it done prior too board results, just to take that suspicion away from the board.  For you @NavyChic we have 2 FCPO and 2 CPO's that run CPO365 so it can be done and I would push for it for sure.

Another thing we talked about was USMAP and college which he said were looked hard this year too, USMAP is super easy and only take a couple minutes to account for your 40 hour work week in port/shore duty and more if you are out to sea.

On 8/8/2016 at 4:27 PM, IT_uno said:

If I can offer some advice for you:

It does not hurt, in fact, they (board members) WANT to be contacted. I dont think they can disclose your ranking or any other sensitive information, but they can give you things they looked for on the board and items that hurt Sailors.

If you ever have any special situations where you go out of a normal sea/shore rotation, it would be best to explain that in your LTB. You dont want to ever leave anything up for interpretation by board members.

Clearance should not be an issue. I am still undergoing mine and it started a good few months ago.

Anytime you are on a platform where you can get a warfare qualification and you dont, it is viewed negatively. However, if you do have a good reason for not getting it, that should be explained in your LTB.

The 3.71 MP Transfer Eval to me raises an eyebrow. If I may ask, what was the reasoning behind that?

If you would like any other advice, please reach out. You can PM me, anything you need. Cheers!

Thank you for your feed back. The main reason that I got what I got for transfer eval was the lack of leadership, but I tried to fix that issue since i came to USFK. Again thank you very much, still getting used to this forum.

Guest NavyChic
2 hours ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

Nice, I did the same thing. The Master Chief I talked to brought up CPO365 and said it was looked at hard this year.  Another thing that got brought up was I got my SEJPME, PPME & MTS after I made board. Sucks but that's how it fell. He said the board will give you points but can still look negatively because it looks like I only did it because I made board. So if anyone in here is working on that, I would have it done prior too board results, just to take that suspicion away from the board.  For you @NavyChic we have 2 FCPO and 2 CPO's that run CPO365 so it can be done and I would push for it for sure.

Another thing we talked about was USMAP and college which he said were looked hard this year too, USMAP is super easy and only take a couple minutes to account for your 40 hour work week in port/shore duty and more if you are out to sea.

For PPME, SEJPME,I can see why it is something that can be looked at negatively if you finish it after you make board. I feel like MTS is kinda out of your control if you get it after you are SBE, like for me I officially can't start working on my MTS until next month because you have to wait six months to even start, so I can try to be finish by January or February before exam results are released but if not I'll at least try before the sending a LTB. 

I've also started studying because I don't want to have hit all wickets, leadership,PPME, JPME, SEJPME, college, etc. and not make board.  I am also working on running and working out so I am good for PRT, I've been cutting it close and I know I need to work out more. 

Guest NAVYGUY209

@NavyChic You have ample time to have it done prior to LTB submission. Really just got to knock it out quick. Mine took a minute because I failed the first board I did and did it 2 weeks later and the time fell after SBE's were announced. You being a fairly new instructor, I believe the board would see that and not ping you for it.

Guest TexTLAM

having some trouble getting ahold of some refs on my bibs. Anyone have copies of OP4 rev 11, OP5 rev 7, mag sprink handbook rev 4, or basic cooling systems for shipboard electronics?

Guest Cyber_IT

Quick question for the room. One of my FF said that a Master Chief told him that there is a spot where you can see where you ranked if you didn't get selected. I've never heard of this! Can anyone help me out?

Guest Cyber_IT
1 minute ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

There is no such list. I am sure that your name is somewhere listed with a ranking from throughout the selection process, but there isn't a list that is released publicly or stored for anyone to see. What would be the point in knowing what number you were ranked anyways without actually knowing the reason for that ranking? If the board selected 60 and you were number 61 does that ensure you a spot next year? Each year the board changes a little with new board members. Although the board is fair, the human element is still there and we often see others based on our own experiences and career path.

Thanks Chief! I knew it sounded to crazy to be true! I had never heard of anything like that in my 17 years. An awful thing to do to him if the Master Chief was just messing with his head.

On August 9, 2016 at 9:33 AM, NavyChic said:

I gave training this year at CPO365 on brilliant on the basics how would I write that on my eval with showing impact. 

Guest HawkISback

I am almost done with the JKO Senior Enlisted, start that one ASAP.  It is taking forever.  I wish I had thought of the 365 piece last year for evals after reading in the convening order.  Oh well.  I will have added some wood to the fire this eval season.  I hopefully will get another look at SOY, however I am not sure.  We only have 11 FCPOs in our command, I know I am not a 5.0 sailor but i am filling some huge roles. However, if they do the timeshare piece on SOY its going to make me angry.  I worked hard the last two years. 

Guest HawkISback
On 8/8/2016 at 8:11 AM, Tony said:

Sustained Superior Performance revisited

I’d like to revisit SSP again because I have seen a trend over the years that leads me to believe that some may not understand this concept. Please note that the opinions are my own – you can come to your own conclusion and feel free to post your thoughts.

The main reason I write this, is when I see someone post that they have had sustained superior performance for years and they don’t understand why they did not make Chief. Well I’ll throw the spoiler here and now. If you did not make Chief, you did not have sustained or superior performance or both. And my first question would be “How in our global Navy’s presence, do you know you have SSP unless you sat on the board?”. When the board convenes, their goal is to get the top qualified Sailors that are eligible for Chief – the sustained superior performers of our whole Navy, not your command. Unless you sit the board, you cannot determine that.

Now, you might be the top dog performer at your command and have proven yourself to the command since day one, but what about your prior command? How well did you do for five years and possibly beyond? And more importantly, how well did that performance stack up against other Sailors in the Navy? Which brings me to two thoughts I'd like to share:

First, you can never have “had” SSP and say you are a sustained superior performer – there is no past tense as far as the selection board goes. In other words, if you had a stellar performance at your command from 5/5/2013 to 5/5/2016, that means you were a top performer at that command while you were there. It does not mean (in the eyes of the board) that you have sustained superior performance (yet) because they still have to a.) look at a few more years of your data and b.) compare you to other qualified Sailors in the stack! Was their performance superior to yours?

Second is the issue of documentation. Many a Sailor will get upset because they know they have gone above and beyond the mission requirement of their command and are sure that the command recognizes this because of the awards and comments. However, it's no longer in the command's hand when it comes to comparing your records to other Sailors in the Navy. You can be a legend in your own mind but – YOU HAVE TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

So as to not write a thesis, here is some food for thought:

• Document everything ( Superior Performansk- Well Documented )

• Find your weakest areas (not just your rate or command)

• Find areas you are lacking (what did that Sailor have that you do not have?) (Possibly something you were not aware of)

• * Thank goodness, ours is not a zero defect Navy

• Go above and beyond...

* Folks, if you had a negative bump in the road but are still eligible – you are still eligible. As proven once again this cycle by at least one member of this forum (who got the S).

BBb)

Good insight Tony.  All we can do is keep grinding until they tap us on the shoulder and tell us its time to move on to our new life`s work.

Guest Admin_warrior
4 hours ago, Iam32 said:

I gave training this year at CPO365 on brilliant on the basics how would I write that on my eval with showing impact. 

I didnt have much Cpo 365 in my eval until my transfer. I would wrote something like active Cpo 365 member, led training for ###FCPO and ##CPO on brilliance on the basics increasing knowledge, etc.