FY 24 CPO (E7) Selection Board

I have no lessons. I am bitter. This is the end. Over 19 years of service (11 years SBE) to include 3 PCS afloat tours. I had command collaterals (MWR, 3MA, CFL, SSO/SECMAN), LPO Sea and shore. 2 degrees, MOVSM, 3x sailor of quarter only. both my parents died when I was deployed, wasn't allowed to go home for one of them. My 13 year old has significant health problems and feels neglect from his only parent being gone most his life while his successful WO father wants nothing to do with him and never met him nor talk to him. It upsets me to see year after year  unexperienced and/or terrible/mean people make chief. I am not perfect, but this definitely not a fair process. I have a theory that either I pissed off someone with power or only the cool kids and someone whos a spouse of a cool E7 and above get to advance, because you cannot honestly say that someone with less than 7 years who never PCS to a ship and doesn't have 3M quals is better qualified to be a chief. 

• Like 1

I think for me my lesson learned is that I truly underestimated not having documented FCPOA involvement.  I have one E-6 eval from about 6 years ago that has a bullet for FCPOA/CPO365 (when that was a thing).  I've followed as much of my LaDR as I can so aside from not having a breakout eval, I feel that might be the only other thing holding me back.  Here's hoping that being a cabinet member this year is the difference between an S and another N.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:44 AM, scottastic86 said:

I think for me my lesson learned is that I truly underestimated not having documented FCPOA involvement.  I have one E-6 eval from about 6 years ago that has a bullet for FCPOA/CPO365 (when that was a thing).  I've followed as much of my LaDR as I can so aside from not having a breakout eval, I feel that might be the only other thing holding me back.  Here's hoping that being a cabinet member this year is the difference between an S and another N.

Are you breaking out in traffic?

your evals would say "My #X of XX PO1s!" or "My #1 technician afloat!"...something that breaks you out from your peers.  Are you tracking to the right on your PSR? As in, you check aboard, P to MP or EP and stay there until next assignment.  Sustained superior performance is often overlooked when we rattle off our accomplishments but from a board perspective, it's the first thing we see. 

• Spot On! 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 12:33 AM, Master_Spook said:

your evals would say "My #X of XX PO1s!" or "My #1 technician afloat!"...something that breaks you out from your peers.  Are you tracking to the right on your PSR? As in, you check aboard, P to MP or EP and stay there until next assignment.  Sustained superior performance is often overlooked when we rattle off our accomplishments but from a board perspective, it's the first thing we see. 

👆🏾

• Thank You 1

Yea I definitely agree that it sometimes doesn’t make sense that you can make all these things happen and don’t get pick up for chief time and time again. Also you get your record seen and no Master Chief can tell you anything except for keep doing what you do and your time will come. It gets frustrating but it is what it is.
I just wish that they would tell me what needs to be done, cause I just don’t see it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got my eval back and I really was not understanding why they scored me so high. Last year just reporting to the command, so of course I got the P as usual. But this year I got the #2 EP which made my head scratch so much because how am I suppose to growth if it just that high. Most of my E-6 evil were MP because I was stuck in traffic and transfer EP then the P back to EP. I don’t know how the board would view it but only time will tell as this is my 6th time going up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 4:11 PM, OG Ron C said:

Just got my eval back and I really was not understanding why they scored me so high. Last year just reporting to the command, so of course I got the P as usual. But this year I got the #2 EP which made my head scratch so much because how am I suppose to growth if it just that high. Most of my E-6 evil were MP because I was stuck in traffic and transfer EP then the P back to EP. I don’t know how the board would view it but only time will tell as this is my 6th time going up.

If you’re past the growth portion and in that EP range then moving forward you have to show what you’ll see in the precepts and LADR a lot “SUSTAINED SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE”. The board will look at your PSR and they can see your transfers, how long you’ve been on board present command, changes in reporting Senior, and they will take all of that in account. Going from that “welcome aboard” P to an EP shows that’s growth that they wanna see establishing yourself in the command. Now you just need the write up to match. Biggest thing I always failed to remember is that you’re not just fighting everyone in your command, you’re fighting all the other first classes in your rate that will potentially be board eligible. Make sure your evals reflect the LADR and focus on those quals and considerations for E7. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, Master_Spook said:

I like this information. I think what I was missing was a letter explaining why I am on this 3 yr rotation shore then sea, getting welcome aboard P, progress to EP, then get P again after rotating to new command. Some people say they should know ur mil to mil. apparently not. Also, my question is, what is the statistics have to do with this, showing race and how many male or female in each rate, etc.  They showed it last cycle when the results came out

• Like 2

Did not make the SBE list for the first time. I am waiting to see how much I missed it by, but this is really disheartening. I have a question that I am trying to do some due diligence to see if I have a leg to stand on.

One of my Evals on my Worksheet has the RSCA set at 3.70 which is what the PSR is saying too. My ITA was 3.71. Meaning I get no extra points for that Eval. When I look at the Eval in BLK 43, the command input the RSCA as 3.63. That would give me more towards the FMS. 

Does anyone know why there would be a discrepancy between what Admin placed in BLK 43 vice what was put in my PSR? Also, is there a way to verify the RSCA of a Reporting Senior at the time my Eval was signed?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChristianSubmariner said:

What gouge specifically? 

I don't know when they started providing more info and again mind you that I haven't looked at the precepts in a long time but the below looks more detailed than from what I have seen in the past.

6. Area Tours
7. Record Review 
8. Adverse Information

Otherwise, again from way back, the biggest complaint was that the precepts were useless.

• 3 weeks later...