Guest Submarinecook1stclass

Hey to all the sub guys out there, has anybody ever told you that are EVALS write ups suck compare to the surface guys... I had a few masterchiefs tell me this. I’m on shore duty and I work wha bunch of surface CS’s and it’s true... there write up is way more in depth and pull a lot of info for just a few words. I thought maybe just me but most of the sub guys I work with I compared my to there and here pretty identical.. as for me, #2 EP in my command LPO at sea for over 2 years, I was a command CFL and qualified and stood COW. I have done the PPMEs and SJPME, which if you ask SUB chiefs they have never care about or heard of until SEA . I’ve been told my multiple sub chiefs that it looks like I’ll make it especially since I have COW and I’m a cook, but I had it least year to but that was my first year. It’s a higher quota this year but we will see. Any opinion, especially from sub guys?

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
1 hour ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Hey to all the sub guys out there, has anybody ever told you that are EVALS write ups suck compare to the surface guys... I had a few masterchiefs tell me this. I’m on shore duty and I work wha bunch of surface CS’s and it’s true... there write up is way more in depth and pull a lot of info for just a few words. I thought maybe just me but most of the sub guys I work with I compared my to there and here pretty identical.. as for me, #2 EP in my command LPO at sea for over 2 years, I was a command CFL and qualified and stood COW. I have done the PPMEs and SJPME, which if you ask SUB chiefs they have never care about or heard of until SEA . I’ve been told my multiple sub chiefs that it looks like I’ll make it especially since I have COW and I’m a cook, but I had it least year to but that was my first year. It’s a higher quota this year but we will see. Any opinion, especially from sub guys?

I am in the same boat as you. Remember the number you break out as an EP is not important if your write up does not speak to that EP. I am thinking this is where I am at right now. I have two hard break outs for the last two evals, but I dont think the write ups are strong, I guess we will see in about three weeks...

Guest anavychick02
4 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

The evals are something that definitely can make a difference. I have had many chiefs tell me the evals need to be specific. Using hard numbers for things you need. Specific instances of leadership, technical ability, and other management. You can say a lot in a very few words.  

Using many adjectives to fill space is not the way to write an eval.  The board members, and really anyone, can see when you just throw in fluff.  Every sentence should be adding value and showing what you did.  I find that I struggle to fit everything into the space I am allowed. If you are finding yourself struggling to fill the write up, you should keep a log of what you did throughout the year. 

How many of your junior guys advanced, how many re-enlisted, how many got qualifications, what equipment did you work on, what maintenance actions did you plan, what did you fix? All of this stuff and more go to information for your eval. Keeping it throughout the year will help you with your eval.

And while you can’t be forced to write your own eval, if you give 4 or 5 good bullets completely written it gives your chain of command a good starting point to write them how they like. 

And for everyone, now would be a great time to start thinking about your next eval. If you advance, you will need a close out, if you don’t advance, you will want a good eval to help for next cycle. Starting now will heal your eval be that much better. 

If anyone has eval questions, I would be glad to answer them!

I agree with you.. I was told that your evals need to reflect how you improved your command/Navy, your junior Sailors, and your self in that order to include CPO 365 and FCPOA.  Also what you did and the results from it no fluff no crap..straight facts and nothing else.

I am glad to say that the Selectee/ Chiefs group is up and running and some are networking. I'm especially happy that this got going during the Reserve's release. If you are a Selectee and would like to join that group, please send me your first, last name and rate. 👍

Guest STS1(SS)752754

The quotas for many of us sub guys are pretty good this year. Submarinecook you are doing more than any other cook I have ever seen in the boats I have ridden or been on in the past few years. Keep rocking it. 

Guest ScrubNation

So I've been lurking on this forum forever........ Its good to see that we are all feeling about the same waiting on the active duty results. I'm gonna go ahead and throw my prediction of the week of the 30th for our results to post. I hope 4th time is the charm. Good Luck everyone!

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
56 minutes ago, STS1(SS)752754 said:

The quotas for many of us sub guys are pretty good this year. Submarinecook you are doing more than any other cook I have ever seen in the boats I have ridden or been on in the past few years. Keep rocking it. 

Appreciate it. I do my best I would have had DOOW but I failed my board right before transferring to shore duty. Oh well I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Best of luck to you.

Guest STS1(SS)752754
8 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I say Aug 2nd just because last year was on a Thursday. So the public list can be released on Friday.

I’m going with 30th as the earliest which would the beginning of the 6 weeks of training. No later than then the 3rd of August. I’m assuming pinning would be on the 14th of September since the 16th is a Sunday. 

On 7/12/2018 at 12:20 PM, Montrell1891 said:

I say the 3rd too. Gives you the weekend to celebrate and prepare for the fun come Monday morning.

The way I understand it is whatever day the results drop, is the day the fun begins.  You don't get a free weekend until after the pinning.  But I could be wrong.  I guess only way to find out is if I get selected.

Guest ScrubNation

It's starting to get real at my command. There's already emails going around the mess about the order of how all the festivities are going down. I wonder if the Chiefs take bets on who they think is gonna make it. I've already been told by a couple that "they can't wait for me to make it, for reasons"

Guest shindeepsailor
6 minutes ago, ScrubNation said:

It's starting to get real at my command. There's already emails going around the mess about the order of how all the festivities are going down. I wonder if the Chiefs take bets on who they think is gonna make it. I've already been told by a couple that "they can't wait for me to make it, for reasons"

Same here! I actually had a Chief say something kind of inexpected to me in front of all the other Chief’s at a CPO365 fundraiser. He said “there’s people I hope make it so I can mess with them, and there is ones I want to see make it because they deserve it, and you deserve it.” Meant a lot. So here’s to this year being the one! Oh, and my wife just surprised me and told me we are expecting our fourth child! All the anxiety haha!

15 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I say Aug 2nd just because last year was on a Thursday. So the public list can be released on Friday.

Hopefully that’s when!  I’m ready to find out. Second year up and I’ve got a pretty good package.  Atleast that’s what I think... So we shall see good luck to all. 

Guest PO14Life
5 hours ago, shindeepsailor said:

Same here! I actually had a Chief say something kind of inexpected to me in front of all the other Chief’s at a CPO365 fundraiser. He said “there’s people I hope make it so I can mess with them, and there is ones I want to see make it because they deserve it, and you deserve it.” Meant a lot. So here’s to this year being the one! Oh, and my wife just surprised me and told me we are expecting our fourth child! All the anxiety haha!

Wow! Congratulations! I hope you get more great news in the coming weeks!

21 hours ago, ScrubNation said:

Little off topic, but last year I was invited to right hand man night at the Chiefs club.  Had a Chief say he knew who I was, and I joked saying I was in the smoke pit a lot.  He said no that's not it.  Good way to mess with your head a Chief from another command saying he's heard about you.

23 hours ago, ScrubNation said:

Yes it is about that time! My command Season Calendar Festivities were out over a week ago to all Chiefs, and oh did the motivation and excitement travel through their soul 😂 ! Of course I can’t see the calendar or know any details but I think AUG 1st will be the day. Either way that week and if it is that Friday don’t look forward to that weekend off!!!

Good Luck to you all let’s stay motivated and positive through everything. 

1 hour ago, subguy10524 said:

Things are definitely gearing up. My command had a phase 2 planning meeting recently also.  The board adjourns on the 20th. Playing the waiting game. Just trying not to think about it. 

I'm just thinking about leave that starts Monday, and the family coming into town shortly after.

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)

Hate/Love this time of the year. I always go through my OMPF looking for mistakes, wondering what would disqualify me from being selected. I wish they would give you a general reason on why you were not selected. They could just say something general like record, evals, or something like that. Not the specific reason but just a generalized one. People could think their record is good to go, but it might just be something they are not catching. something small. Well good luck to all. I havent heard anything about the board adjouring early, so it looks like competition might be tight this year. 

Guest anavychick02
2 hours ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Hate/Love this time of the year. I always go through my OMPF looking for mistakes, wondering what would disqualify me from being selected. I wish they would give you a general reason on why you were not selected. They could just say something general like record, evals, or something like that. Not the specific reason but just a generalized one. People could think their record is good to go, but it might just be something they are not catching. something small. Well good luck to all. I havent heard anything about the board adjouring early, so it looks like competition might be tight this year. 

Same here but I make myself stop 😤when is the board due to adjourn?

11 minutes ago, anavychick02 said:

Same here but I make myself stop 😤when is the board due to adjourn?

I heard the 20th, but not 100% on that date.

Guest HaTriCkook
On 7/13/2018 at 6:40 PM, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Appreciate it. I do my best I would have had DOOW but I failed my board right before transferring to shore duty. Oh well I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Best of luck to you.

Best of Luck to you too.

Guest CursedSwabbie
19 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Things are definitely gearing up. My command had a phase 2 planning meeting recently also.  The board adjourns on the 20th. Playing the waiting game. Just trying not to think about it. 

I know the feeling! My command has a Phase II burger burn the Chief's mess is doing here. So you can tell it is right around the corner!