Guest CursedSwabbie
59 minutes ago, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

I just went thru this whole tread, interesting stuff I can feel the anxiousness. Now you guys got me wide awoke on a Friday night. Good luck too all, but you know what sucks worse than not making it, hearing it constantly at your command before the results are released “you got it this year”Am I the only one who dislikes that? Oh yeah my bets on the 1st Aug for the release date.

You are the real MVP! They have been saing that in my command as well and it is driving me crazy! don't Jinx me

Guest PO14Life

Or the “you’ll be in khakis soon” I’m ready for the wait to be over. I didn’t see too much of the phase 2 prep, but I was on leave. My Senior Chief just took leave and she is the coordinator. I guess she is trying to enjoy her last time off for a while too. 😂😂😂

Long time lurker here. I just got off leave and started to catch up on what everyone has been posting. These two weeks are gonna crawl by. But It'll pass. Putting my money on the idea of a fully planned out 6 week phase 2 schedule. So I'll be going with 3 Aug traid notification.

Additionally any thoughts to why they changed from looking at past 5 years to your entire career? Wonder what prompted that change 🤔

• Like 1

Guest Stazz

This is the hardest time of year. My first time up in 2015, my Chief pulled me aside on the Friday before results and told me to go home and enjoy my potentially last free weekend for a while. I left work, bought a truck (cracked cylinder on other vehicle, not because I was "THAT" guy). Parked it in the driveway and 30 minutes later my house was struck by lightning and caught fire. Used the truck that weekend to move out. So not only did I NOT enjoy that weekend, I didn't get the "S". Each year since, I tell my Chiefs to just drop the subject after the board adjourns. Hoping this will be my year.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
32 minutes ago, Stazz said:

This is the hardest time of year. My first time up in 2015, my Chief pulled me aside on the Friday before results and told me to go home and enjoy my potentially last free weekend for a while. I left work, bought a truck (cracked cylinder on other vehicle, not because I was "THAT" guy). Parked it in the driveway and 30 minutes later my house was struck by lightning and caught fire. Used the truck that weekend to move out. So not only did I NOT enjoy that weekend, I didn't get the "S". Each year since, I tell my Chiefs to just drop the subject after the board adjourns. Hoping this will be my year.

After hat man you deserve it for sure... good on your for keep on pushing

Guest CursedSwabbie
1 hour ago, Stazz said:

Talk about a series of unfortunate events!

6 hours ago, SK2006 said:

Long time lurker here. I just got off leave and started to catch up on what everyone has been posting. These two weeks are gonna crawl by. But It'll pass. Putting my money on the idea of a fully planned out 6 week phase 2 schedule. So I'll be going with 3 Aug traid notification.

Additionally any thoughts to why they changed from looking at past 5 years to your entire career? Wonder what prompted that change 🤔

So I took my package to one of the MC who sat the board last year for advise and this is what he also told me below about Looking even further past the last 5 years.....

They chose a couple sailors who were somewhat junior and records that seemed to be just on point but most likely didn’t have a lot of E6 evals due to their TIR. One guy he told me they looked at and couldn’t believe the guy package (it was great) and the few evals he had. So they looked back all the way through his records while he was a second class and even third and this guy performance was unbeliveabe through out his career. This person I do know, did get picked up and it was his first time up for Chief. I also worked with someone else and this was their first time up with 2 E6 evals #1MP on their first and #2 EP on their second and also was picked up. So I guess TIR could play a big factor for looking back past 5 years just to see how you ranked against your peers a little more. But hey you never really know since the same people don’t sit the board every year and someone always tell you something different from the next person. 

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Guest shindeepsailor

So I will say this...I know one of the Master Chiefs who sat the board...but I know what matters to him....technical skills. The board audience changes every year even though the precepts stay pretty much the same. At the end of the day, the selections are subjective and one year, the individuals on the board may care about traditional leadership vice technical leadership. But we can’t break our backs leaning either way. If you do the right thing, be the best you can be at your job, take care of your Sailors, and give a part of yourself to the Navy, that’s all that matters. The question I ask myself most is “can I sleep at night knowing I gave the best me to my country, my family, and my service. I know that sounds cliche. But what I care about most is defending the defenseless and making myself better. As much as I want anchors as the next guy...I want to give my all to those I care about most more. And if that isn’t what the board is looking for this year...so be it. My (our) time will come. 

1 hour ago, Just A OS1 said:

So I took my package to one of the MC who sat the board last year for advise and this is what he also told me below about Looking even further past the last 5 years.....

They chose a couple sailors who were somewhat junior and records that seemed to be just on point but most likely didn’t have a lot of E6 evals due to their TIR. One guy he told me they looked at and couldn’t believe the guy package (it was great) and the few evals he had. So they looked back all the way through his records while he was a second class and even third and this guy performance was unbeliveabe through out his career. This person I do know, did get picked up and it was his first time up for Chief. I also worked with someone else and this was their first time up with 2 E6 evals #1MP on their first and #2 EP on their second and also was picked up. So I guess TIR could play a big factor for looking back past 5 years just to see how you ranked against your peers a little more. But hey you never really know since the same people don’t sit the board every year and someone always tell you something different from the next person. 

Good luck!!!

Talk about Sustained Superior Performance. 😎

• Like 1

Guest Stazz

First time I don't know any board members. Maybe that's a good thing? Either way, I'm already planning my turnover pass down since I know I'm leaving my current work center once the results are out as per the chain of command. Either I play reindeer games or I take LPO of the AT shop.

1 hour ago, Stazz said:

First time I don't know any board members. Maybe that's a good thing? Either way, I'm already planning my turnover pass down since I know I'm leaving my current work center once the results are out as per the chain of command. Either I play reindeer games or I take LPO of the AT shop.

I did not recognize any of the names on the board either. I was surprised that there wasn't even one.

27 minutes ago, AT1 said:

I did not recognize any of the names on the board either. I was surprised that there wasn't even one.

Same here.... hopefully that means, most of the MCPO in my rate have retired and there is room for me to advance.

Guest PO14Life

I know two people on the board. My third LPO from 14 years ago, and someone who was a First when I was a baby second from 10 years ago? My name has changed since then. Anyone think they will dig deep  enough and remember me? I was not a stellar junior sailor. I worked hard but that’s about it. I guess I’m just stressed about how that affects my odds.

Guest navyordie123
1 minute ago, PO14Life said:

I know two people on the board. My third LPO from 14 years ago, and someone who was a First when I was a baby second from 10 years ago? My name has changed since then. Anyone think they will dig deep  enough and remember me? I was not a stellar junior sailor. I worked hard but that’s about it. I guess I’m just stressed about how that affects my odds.

If they do go far back then they will see that you have matured and changed professionally from being that baby second class. I don’t think it will affect your odds as long as you showed improvement along the way and  by the way it sounds that you have.

Guest TheKardiacKid

With the way packages are graded and stacked, knowing someone on the board doesn't affect chances at all per the enlisted selection board brief on NPC. I've had several CMC's and a FORCM confirm it. FWIW, they all raved about how fair and unbiased the process actually is.

Guest CursedSwabbie
2 hours ago, TheKardiacKid said:

With the way packages are graded and stacked, knowing someone on the board doesn't affect chances at all per the enlisted selection board brief on NPC. I've had several CMC's and a FORCM confirm it. FWIW, they all raved about how fair and unbiased the process actually is.

If everyone's package is making it to the board then it seems pretty balanced to me!

Guest PO14Life

That makes me think shouldn’t the board have taken longer if every package gets briefed? Or are they doing shorter briefs? Would be interesting to find out how they manage the time.

50 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

That makes me think shouldn’t the board have taken longer if every package gets briefed? Or are they doing shorter briefs? Would be interesting to find out how they manage the time.

I've heard they only spend about 30 seconds briefing packages to the group.  Don't know how long they spend reading the packages to get the highlights. 

Guest CursedSwabbie
20 minutes ago, AME1 said:

I've heard they only spend about 30 seconds briefing packages to the group.  Don't know how long they spend reading the packages to get the highlights. 

So hope you have someone that can compress your entire career in 30 seconds! 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, PO14Life said:

So this year I reached out to a MCPO that sat the aboard this year, to get a perspective on the new process. He basically took my PSR I-III and used it as a note sheet. Marked areas of consideration (things that could have been both good and not so good) and made notes on it for significant events listed on evals.  Things to bring attention to. He told me this was pretty much how they went into the briefing. 

Examples of notes were:

“DLPO-Led xx Sailors with significant positive impact: JSOY, BJOY 14 awards, 8 warfare quals”

”CPO365+, FCPOA+”

”technical expert/leader-did xx, led xx to do xx, trained xx, qualified xx”

ect.

Guest TM1/SS

Ok guys I was on here about 5 years ago, I was selected that year, long story short, I'm not a CPO right now. First year back eligible after that incident. After my NJP in 14, Ive had nothing but #1 EP's as both a second and a first, for the Sub Guys, Ive been qualified through DCPO and DOOW since the first time i was a second (lol). As far as I understand, sub guys are in the tank with other sub guys only. Do you think my NJP is going to have an impact on whether I get selected this year? Especially looking at it with 52%, I mean I have never seen MMW this high, heres to hoping and good luck to all!

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
8 minutes ago, TM1/SS said:

Ok guys I was on here about 5 years ago, I was selected that year, long story short, I'm not a CPO right now. First year back eligible after that incident. After my NJP in 14, Ive had nothing but #1 EP's as both a second and a first, for the Sub Guys, Ive been qualified through DCPO and DOOW since the first time i was a second (lol). As far as I understand, sub guys are in the tank with other sub guys only. Do you think my NJP is going to have an impact on whether I get selected this year? Especially looking at it with 52%, I mean I have never seen MMW this high, heres to hoping and good luck to all!

I don’t think it takes you out of the equation, your right that your ahead of any TM1 I knew with the exception of one and he made Chief and senior on his first time up each. I’m a sub cook and I only have COW, command CFL and LPO at sea for over two years and #2 EP as my best eval, this is only my second year. What’s your opinion for that?

Guest TM1/SS
15 minutes ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

I don’t think it takes you out of the equation, your right that your ahead of any TM1 I knew with the exception of one and he made Chief and senior on his first time up each. I’m a sub cook and I only have COW, command CFL and LPO at sea for over two years and #2 EP as my best eval, this is only my second year. What’s your opinion for that?

The only question I have on that is, as I'm sure you already know, theres a difference between Qualified and Standing. At one point we had a quite a few FCPO's qualified Dive, but not standing, they were gimme's essentially. 

But real talk, if you have LPO at sea, CFL and COW, (better if standing than qualified), you should be ok. Good friend of mine picked up CSSC last year, and I qualified him COW as the ASDO. But like a lot of people have said before, how many of your sailors have you advanced? How many have gotten awards? I mean your a CS so you guys get awards for Cookies and Breakfast but they all count just the same haha.