FY16 SELRES CPO Board Thread.

Guest rustyb78

I think this Sailors NOSC needs to start his/her phase 2 early!  LOL :D

MMEC

1 Eligible

1 Quota

100.00% Opportunity

100% Opportunity but not a 100% Garuntee.

I saw MNC have similar stats a few years ago.  3 SBE and 3 Quotas, only 1 made it.

It appears as though some people have the cart in front of the horse. Qualifications and all are fine, but as a Chief your job is helping people. The Board is looking for people that are already doing the job but don't have Anchors on, and that can take so many forms that there's really no "magic bullet." If you're helping your Sailors, you'll have the collateral duties and all and that stuff will and should show up in Blocks 29, 43, and 44.

But are you doing it so it'll show up in blocks 29, 43, and 44 or so it'll help people?

I sometimes think that we First Classes can get so wrapped around the axle about what the Board may or may not be looking for that we lose sight of why we're here: our Sailors. Back to lurking.

I agree with this, I personally feel the most important thing is to show your mentoring your jr sailors. I stress this with my E5's where I goal them each drill weekend to provide mentorship to a new junior sailor and continue mentoring the ones they have in the past. There is no better feeling then seeing your guys move up in the ranks and achieve the recognition that they deserve. 

I feel that if you do not have sailorization in your evals that is a shot in the foot. My personal opinion is if you mentored sailors to get JSOY or BJSOY that should be the strongest input. As a future chief it is our jobs to develop and manage our junior sailors to be successful. I am SOY, but non of my sailors are excelling what does that say about me? Perhaps an lone warrior mentality. One thing that has helped me with my leadership is to stop thinking of my self as an LPO and to start thinking of my self as a Coach and my Division is my Team. The second I started to do that I put all my focus on my "team" to succeed and less about my self. 

Eventually all the accolades that people chase after for them selves were recognized by seniors; by how strong my division was and how motivated my sailors were. I will be honest I will probably be a mess if I am selected, but it was a GREAT feeling making those phone calls to my junior sailors yesterday informing them of advancement. 

I agree with this, I personally feel the most important thing is to show your mentoring your jr sailors. I stress this with my E5's where I goal them each drill weekend to provide mentorship to a new junior sailor and continue mentoring the ones they have in the past. There is no better feeling then seeing your guys move up in the ranks and achieve the recognition that they deserve. 

I feel that if you do not have sailorization in your evals that is a shot in the foot. My personal opinion is if you mentored sailors to get JSOY or BJSOY that should be the strongest input. As a future chief it is our jobs to develop and manage our junior sailors to be successful. I am SOY, but non of my sailors are excelling what does that say about me? Perhaps an lone warrior mentality. One thing that has helped me with my leadership is to stop thinking of my self as an LPO and to start thinking of my self as a Coach and my Division is my Team. The second I started to do that I put all my focus on my "team" to succeed and less about my self. 

Eventually all the accolades that people chase after for them selves were recognized by seniors; by how strong my division was and how motivated my sailors were. I will be honest I will probably be a mess if I am selected, but it was a GREAT feeling making those phone calls to my junior sailors yesterday informing them of advancement. 

I think that if you ask 10 people what the most important bullet you can put on your eval is you will get 10 different answers.  No one thing will do it and there are a lot of different factors.  Timing can be as big a deal as anything you do.  If the quotas are there one year but you just transferred and got the FNG eval and the next year there are 0 quotas and you are LPO not much you can do about that.

That being said, you have at least 5 years of history the board is looking at.  If it's your first time up 2-3 of those years are as a second class.  The possibility of what you can accomplish is different for different rates, units and ranks.  Someone in and OSU is going to have a very different experience from a Seabee, Airdale or Surgemain Sailor.  Some people stay in the same unit for their entire career, others move in the civilian world and switch NOSCs with the season.  The guy that homesteads is going to have a higher position in a unit (or they better) than the guy that moves units.  But that doesn't mean they are a better leader.

There are a lot of the same problems in units all over the country.  Exam failures were 15% this cycle, that's a lot.  PFA failures.  People not going on AT.  CAI personnel not showing up to CAI drill weekends.  Lack of mentorship.  Just to name a few.  If you can show that you found a problem and found a way to fix it and have the numbers to prove it that's a big deal.  If you can show that you took a unit that had 25% exam or PFA failures and brought it down to 0% that's huge.  But you also have to show that what you did changed things and that it wasn't just a statistical anomoly.

Nominating people who were selected for JSOY or BJOY is a way to show you are an effective leader.  So is being LPO or Career Counselor.  You have 5 years of history there should be new stuff on each of those evals that show that you can be successful in a variety of positions.  Some things won't be available to all people.  My first unit in the Reserves I was the lowest ranking guy in the room when I made FCPO.  I had no one to nominate.  But with the Reserves if you are willing to put the time and effort into the job there are LOTS of places to make improvements and show leadership.

Guest SeaBeeDoc

17/85 Better than last years quota  and now that I am at a command where I was able to stand next to the PS and watch my stuff get entered into my ESR/OPMF instead of doing everything over the phone because my PSD was in a different state I may stand a chance. Almost wish I was a SELRES again their numbers are great this year.

SeaBeeDoc

Guest CajunMA

New to the board.  second time testing, first time board eligible.    MAC = 19/283.

not bad odds, but not the best.  sure better than last cycle which was only 1 promoted to MAC.

I had several enclosures to my LTB.  DD214 from army (I did 4 active navy, 8 army guard, now 3 yr into navy reserve).  had to account for gaps in service and make sure my other awards were in there.  My ESR didn't show any of my army time or awards.   Have a SOQ and SOY in my package as well.  Plus some other stuff.  1 MP/ 2 EPs on all evals   Bach/degree enclosure and some professional certs like six sigma GB.

my evals show I'm LPO and a lot of mentoring.  several in my unit BJOQ, JSOQ, SOQ and a BJOY.  a few promotes and a couple of awards.

I really hope my chances are good.  wondering if my Army time will hurt me.....

I emailed my LTB via the instruction, with a read receipt request.  Havent checked in a while, wonder if they got my LTB>......  UGH

LOL

Anyway, glad I found this board.

how long does the board convene for and when can we expect to hear something???

Guest CajunMA

Roger that ReserveOrdie....

I had a Master Chief and a couple of chiefs look at my LTB and enclosures.  As would be expected, I rec'd differing opinions on what to include and not to include.  I opted to listen to the Master Chief, since he has sat on the boards prior.  I sent it to him and he chopped it and added some input  - which I tweaked slightly.  overall I went with the Master Chief's recommendations.

I think that if you ask 10 people what the most important bullet you can put on your eval is you will get 10 different answers.  No one thing will do it and there are a lot of different factors.  Timing can be as big a deal as anything you do.  If the quotas are there one year but you just transferred and got the FNG eval and the next year there are 0 quotas and you are LPO not much you can do about that.

That being said, you have at least 5 years of history the board is looking at.  If it's your first time up 2-3 of those years are as a second class.  The possibility of what you can accomplish is different for different rates, units and ranks.  Someone in and OSU is going to have a very different experience from a Seabee, Airdale or Surgemain Sailor.  Some people stay in the same unit for their entire career, others move in the civilian world and switch NOSCs with the season.  The guy that homesteads is going to have a higher position in a unit (or they better) than the guy that moves units.  But that doesn't mean they are a better leader.

There are a lot of the same problems in units all over the country.  Exam failures were 15% this cycle, that's a lot.  PFA failures.  People not going on AT.  CAI personnel not showing up to CAI drill weekends.  Lack of mentorship.  Just to name a few.  If you can show that you found a problem and found a way to fix it and have the numbers to prove it that's a big deal.  If you can show that you took a unit that had 25% exam or PFA failures and brought it down to 0% that's huge.  But you also have to show that what you did changed things and that it wasn't just a statistical anomoly.

Nominating people who were selected for JSOY or BJOY is a way to show you are an effective leader.  So is being LPO or Career Counselor.  You have 5 years of history there should be new stuff on each of those evals that show that you can be successful in a variety of positions.  Some things won't be available to all people.  My first unit in the Reserves I was the lowest ranking guy in the room when I made FCPO.  I had no one to nominate.  But with the Reserves if you are willing to put the time and effort into the job there are LOTS of places to make improvements and show leadership.

Thank you for the insight. I just hope what I accomplished is what they are targeting this year. I feel that I hit everything you mentioned in my eval plus more and quantified it in my eval's. Now i just have to sit here and chew on my finger nails. On the precept the only things I did not complete are my PPME and JPME but I was getting my degree and working on my masters.

Chief, from your knowledge. I don't want to over load my work load, but should I try to bust out a JPME before next year? The reason why i ask this is because I am focusing on my masters right now. 

Guest Mustang6235

I think they put all SBEs for the rates in a hat and draw out however many names meet the quotas. They then make sure those names are good to go and leave the rest to wonder what they did wrong.

Sometimes I wonder just how far fetched this really is! Lol

Guest CajunMA

LOL MM1,

if someone is board eligible and doesn't get selected, it does make you wonder....   Too bad there isn't a feedback letter of some sort.  I've been told that boards are quirky.  Each board looks for different criteria and it also depends on who is conveying your package to the board....    All while keeping within the confines of the mandate for the board.

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

why do you say that CT?  does that disqualify you?  I would think it might better your chances.

Naw I'm just being paranoid.  Who knows what will happen.  My main competition in my rate is here in my command ranked above me so...

4 out of 15 isn't bad odds for me, I'LL TAKE IT!  I crossed over to FTS from REGNAV in late 2011 (thanks PTS).  I'm competing against a majority of career FTS that have little to NO sea duty experience, no IA experience, and NO warfare pins.  So, I'm hoping my diversity (from submarines, to the Office of Naval Intelligence, to destroyers) shines through.  After all WE ARE SAILORS regardless of what capacity we serve in.

Just found out my OIC is sitting the board...  There go my chances...

This could actually work in your favor, he can speak to your record at the board (but cannot vote on it)

Guest CMC in waiting

There is a feedback letter; the Precepts that are released every year. Read several years' Precepts, and you'll be able to have a good idea what the Board is looking for. There are so many paths to the Mess that, honestly, an Army-style After Action Report brings little if any value. This is a discussion that happens every year on this thread. Neither side will convince the other, so IMO with should agree to disagree and move on.

I don't see much changing on the precepts from year to year. The problem for Seabees (and other rates) is the extreme downsizing of the entire NCF, Navy force restructuring, and the subsequent lack of quotas for chief in many rates. I was shocked last season, when 26 SELRES BU1s put on anchors.....I was even more shocked to see 8 for CM this time. the prior 3 years have yielded ONE quota for CMC. I've been up a few times, have great evals, deployments, two warfare pins, top 4 percent of exam takers, super high final multiple, never had any NJP or discipline issues, no PRT issues, always volunteer for challenging A/T duty, mentor the heck out of juniors....will I be selected? I'm not gonna hold my breath, but I definitely think I'm ready, just hope the board thinks so.

With regard to agree to disagree, I think that the board could offer a little more than just precepts and "N" or "S"

Guest CMC in waiting

I think they put all SBEs for the rates in a hat and draw out however many names meet the quotas. They then make sure those names are good to go and leave the rest to wonder what they did wrong.

Sometimes I wonder just how far fetched this really is! Lol

wouldn't surprise me if it were something like that towards the end, after they chop a few dozen names

Guest Mustang6235

A PO1 can get meet everything in the precepts, have 5 master Chiefs scrub his record(and get told 5 different ideas about it) and still get the N. It's sad that he'll never know why, and will not get a chance to fix what could be a minor detail in his record.

It's my 3rd time up. I'm more competitive this year than last, and I guess as long as I keep that trend up at some point I'll get selected. If not, I'll proudly retire as a 1st class. Unlike the past 2 years, I'm not giving this selection board much thought.

But good luck to us all.

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

This could actually work in your favor, he can speak to your record at the board (but cannot vote on it)

So... Do these people that are looking/voting/ranking know the names of the candidates?  What I mean is, is it all done anonymously?  Are the names held back so ONLY the records/careers are being compared?   

So... Do these people that are looking/voting/ranking know the names of the candidates?  What I mean is, is it all done anonymously?  Are the names held back so ONLY the records/careers are being compared?   

Correct, no names are truly divulged during the process, for example:  If your OIC recieved your package for scoring he could immediately tell it was you (by command/command history, ect.) and would have to either volunteer to pass on your record for someone else to score OR if he felt he could score it without a bias he could do so.  I was saying, this could play to your favor because in most cases they will choose to pass on scoring your record however go on to sell you to the board.  They are bound to only say something that is positive and ABSOLTELY nothing negative.  Negative items can only be extracted from your record by the person(s) scoring your record.

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

Alright, that makes sense.  I was never really told either way so I'm glad I asked.  As long as I am getting a honest and fair shake, that's all I could ask for.

Guest hayes

Is it really anonymous though? There would be tons of work involved in redacting names on every single page of every board eligible's record. Isn't the whole point of writing names and socials on the LTB enclosures is to make sure they're properly identified as yours?

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

Is it really anonymous though? There would be tons of work involved in redacting names on every single page of every board eligible's record. Isn't the whole point of writing names and socials on the LTB enclosures is to make sure they're properly identified as yours?

I wondered about that as well.

Guest BOEGER1

My first time up and my first post. I am ready to hit send on the email but have one final question and no one to answer it. I have the subject line correct but do I need to put anything in the body of the email? Will V/R EM1 suffice? Seems like a silly question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest BOEGER1

board 360. the subject line is supposed to contain FOUO: Board Package; Board # 360. I didn't see any guidance on the body of the email. Should I just put my signature?