Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

ET1EXWIWSW

FY19 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

PO14Life
6 hours ago, HawkISback said:

If it’s not for masters level three classes shouldn’t be impossible. One of my friends was doing 8 at a time.  How bad do you want it?  I did 3 at once, wasn’t fun but I survived. 

I could do it but my gpa would suffer. Also my command isn’t low maintenance, it would be hard especially since one of them is my capstone. Balance is key.

HMC(SW/IW/AW)
18 hours ago, PO14Life said:

I could do it but my gpa would suffer. Also my command isn’t low maintenance, it would be hard especially since one of them is my capstone. Balance is key.

Working on a degree is great but speaking with past board membership education points is the one area where you either have a degree or you don't, which means you only can receive points for a competed degree. I would suggest completing your degree to maximize your points. 

• Like 1

HAZEGREY1775
On 12/20/2017 at 5:57 PM, HMC(SW/IW/AW) said:

Working on a degree is great but speaking with past board membership education points is the one area where you either have a degree or you don't, which means you only can receive points for a competed degree. I would suggest completing your degree to maximize your points. 

I echo HMC's comments. After all, education is usually just a tie breaker type of thing (look at where its placed on the convening order/precept).  Is it a coincidence it's placed at the end? Hmmm.....

• Like 1

NavySAR

Hey everyone - I know the test isn't for a couple weeks yet but keep the press on for studying and good luck!

• Like 1

HawkISback

Good Luck everyone. Start working out now if you are not already, I thought I was in shape before phase 2 kicked off.   I was wrong.  Lol. 

• Like 1

TUTOBENJI

So help me out here... I just transferred commands from sea to shore. If I do the FMS for my eval correctly I have my E5 eval, frocked, first ranked and my last eval. So thats 4 evals (if I'm not mistaken). That's a 3.57, 4.00, 3.86, and 4.43 with an average of 3.96. I went from ALPO to LPO at sea during a combat deployment, night check QA supervisor. I was the FCPOA Master @ Arms, Section Leader, EAWS Coordinator, Motorcycle safety, UPC, and CPO 365 Phase I coordinator. I finished both USMAPs, PPME, SJPME, and before I left I got a NAM and MOVSM. If the board is looking at the last 5 EVALs at the least, they're not gonna see my USMAPs, and my MOVSM, NAM, PPME, and SJPME are not in my last EVAL. I know that I need to add these things in my LTB, but should I add the NAM and the USMAPs. I'm sick of sitting idle, and ready to be an AOC. Any advice... I'm all ears.

CTN1(IW/FMF)
3 hours ago, TUTOBENJI said:

So help me out here... I just transferred commands from sea to shore. If I do the FMS for my eval correctly I have my E5 eval, frocked, first ranked and my last eval. So thats 4 evals (if I'm not mistaken). That's a 3.57, 4.00, 3.86, and 4.43 with an average of 3.96. I went from ALPO to LPO at sea during a combat deployment, night check QA supervisor. I was the FCPOA Master @ Arms, Section Leader, EAWS Coordinator, Motorcycle safety, UPC, and CPO 365 Phase I coordinator. I finished both USMAPs, PPME, SJPME, and before I left I got a NAM and MOVSM. If the board is looking at the last 5 EVALs at the least, they're not gonna see my USMAPs, and my MOVSM, NAM, PPME, and SJPME are not in my last EVAL. I know that I need to add these things in my LTB, but should I add the NAM and the USMAPs. I'm sick of sitting idle, and ready to be an AOC. Any advice... I'm all ears.

A little confused. When you say FMS do you mean PMA that will go towards your FMS?  If so, you E5 will not factor into that. It also appears your using trait grade averages which is also not what you use to calculate. It will be your E6 evals for last 3 years with ending dates that fall within the time period of the navadmin 175/17. From 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2017. So from what you written above sounds like 3 evals. You would average them using the score associated to your promotion recommendation (P=3.6, MP=3.8, EP=4.0) and that would be your PMA that would factor into your FMS. 

subguy10524

That does bring up a question, in the letter to the board, should you bring up items not on a most recent eval? Or assume they will look at previous evals for college degrees, PME, etc?

osiris0107

Has anyone's last eval migrated to their OMPF yet?

GoNavy88

I am probably a little too late in requesting a revision in my evaluation write up.  Long story short, I turn in my evaluation draft with only 5 months on the ship and I was expecting a welcome aboard P.  Than I got put up for of the quarter and wrote another eval Incase I win of the year.  I ended up getting Soy and my second eval write pretty much had me sound like I was doing all sort of things which I did but less on the new guy hitting the deck plate stuff, but sadly my second write up never made it to the triad.  Personally I don’t feel my initial eval is strong enough and it was hard to say anything since my CO, CMC and my LCPO were all saying great things during the debrief.

My opening statement read somewhere on the lines of #2 of 17 E6, already performing as a chief, filling a gapped chief billet and SOY FY17.

__welcome aboard write up__

closing statemen”Command wide impact. Promote to Chief now!”

should I bring this up?  My Chain Of Command and the triad is great but I don’t want them to think they did a poor job at revising when it was my very own write up.  I just feel the recommendations don’t justify the write up.

any advice is appreciated.

osiris0107
2 hours ago, GoNavy88 said:

I am probably a little too late in requesting a revision in my evaluation write up.  Long story short, I turn in my evaluation draft with only 5 months on the ship and I was expecting a welcome aboard P.  Than I got put up for of the quarter and wrote another eval Incase I win of the year.  I ended up getting Soy and my second eval write pretty much had me sound like I was doing all sort of things which I did but less on the new guy hitting the deck plate stuff, but sadly my second write up never made it to the triad.  Personally I don’t feel my initial eval is strong enough and it was hard to say anything since my CO, CMC and my LCPO were all saying great things during the debrief.

My opening statement read somewhere on the lines of #2 of 17 E6, already performing as a chief, filling a gapped chief billet and SOY FY17.

should I bring this up?  My Chain Of Command and the triad is great but I don’t want them to think they did a poor job at revising when it was my very own write up.  I just feel the recommendations don’t justify the write up.

It's difficult to tell senior officers and enlisted that what they wrote for you is not good enough. I have learned in the past that you could write an amazing eval with input from other master chiefs and then hand it to chain. Once they get it, they tend to put their own spin on it. You could inform them of your input, but I would tread lightly, some people that have been doing this for a long time tend to be offended when you make comments about their work. All in all it sounds like you got the slice of pie, you just might have to eat the crust first before diving into the filling.

"It is better for a man to leave great men in his position than to leave as the greatest"

• Like 1

GoNavy88
7 hours ago, osiris0107 said:

It's difficult to tell senior officers and enlisted that what they wrote for you is not good enough. I have learned in the past that you could write an amazing eval with input from other master chiefs and then hand it to chain. Once they get it, they tend to put their own spin on it. You could inform them of your input, but I would tread lightly, some people that have been doing this for a long time tend to be offended when you make comments about their work. All in all it sounds like you got the slice of pie, you just might have to eat the crust first before diving into the filling.

"It is better for a man to leave great men in his position than to leave as the greatest"

Thank you, that is the feeling I get if I were to press the issue.  Good to know that I am not overthinking things, lol.

• Like 1

HMC(SW/IW/AW)
On 1/9/2018 at 10:16 PM, GoNavy88 said:

I suggest keeping your “welcome aboard write up”  if your already #2 and SOY in your first 5 months onboard it leaves room to show progression 

• Like 1

TUTOBENJI
On 1/9/2018 at 12:17 AM, osiris0107 said:

Nope i check at least 3 times a week, and nothing yet!!

CTN1(IW/FMF)
On 1/9/2018 at 3:17 AM, osiris0107 said:

CHecked today. Still nothing

CTN1(IW/FMF)

Good luck tomorrow everyone 

• Like 1

PO14Life

Just took mine... looking forward to the day I will have no more tests to take. Can we say my heads going to explode.

osiris0107

Just took the test as well, wasn't as hard as it's been in the past. That just means everyone is going to do good this year, lol.

• Thanks 1

osiris0107

When someone gets their periodic uploaded in their OMPF can they post the notice on here. Or if there is a PS1 or PSC in this forum can you give us a timeline as to how long it takes them to migrate to our OMPF.

-Thanks

GoNavy88

Anyone

8 hours ago, osiris0107 said:

When someone gets their periodic uploaded in their OMPF can they post the notice on here. Or if there is a PS1 or PSC in this forum can you give us a timeline as to how long it takes them to migrate to our OMPF.

-Thanks

90 days at the latest - but depends on the size of command as well.  If you dont see anyting by the end of febuary, get with Admin.  

GoNavy88

How you guys do on your test?  mine was brutal!  PS type.

ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

Our ITC exam was the most difficult/hardest but easiest (strange I know) I've taken in years. I went back and checked of a few of my answers that I should've gotten right but decided to pick the wrong answer. :(  I went in with a 3.90. I hope I still have a chance. I hate the waiting game.

AME1

Well I went with the same plan I had last year when I thought it was my last test.  I just picked the first answer, and I finished in under a hour.  Some of the stuff I brushed up on from previous exams was on the test, but this time it had a lot of new stuff that I haven't had the past few years so didn't concentrate on.  Guess I'll see how well I guessed here in a few months.

osiris0107
3 hours ago, AME1 said:

Well I went with the same plan I had last year when I thought it was my last test.  I just picked the first answer, and I finished in under a hour.  Some of the stuff I brushed up on from previous exams was on the test, but this time it had a lot of new stuff that I haven't had the past few years so didn't concentrate on.  Guess I'll see how well I guessed here in a few months.

Bro I have seen you on this forum for years now, really hope they call your name this year.

• Thanks 1

AME1
2 hours ago, osiris0107 said:

Bro I have seen you on this forum for years now, really hope they call your name this year.

Thanks.  We shall see what happens  I hit 20 years in June  so basically my last shot to get the full high 3 if I pick it up this year vice next year.  I'm working for a good Chief, and the Senior Chief I worked for last year was good as well.  So will see how the awesome evals they wrote me look to the board (if I make board, not feeling it after that test).

• Like 1