FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest AWFChief
7 minutes ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

this may have been already asked before but Im truly curious as to what takes so long after the board is adjourned to put out a release date and the list of selectees...does anyone have a logical explanation?

Typically after the board adjourns they start reviewing PRIMS and security clearances.  If a Select has issues, that's when they get an H vice S

Guest navyordie123
Just now, DeepSea5342 said:

I'm just ready for the wait to be over and the answer to a 7 month long question

you and me both brother.

Guest bocktagon
51 minutes ago, AGatSEA said:

Just saw a post on FB from a FF. Quoting exactly: "I heard results on Thursday. Hope to see a few names on the list!." No supporting information unfortunately.

What is an FF?

Guest NavyChic2003

I never knew about this forum before a couple of days ago.  I've been lurking, but decided to chime in.  I'd have to say the most stressful part for me is when everyone says, "it's your year!" or "they have to select you, you're SSOY!"  I think I've done my best.  Although making rank is always a goal, I've just focused on being a great Sailor and Leader.  Ultimately, that will get you where you want to be.  OSN:  I don't know what else the board would want from me though LOL ;-)

Guest bocktagon

8 minutes ago, NavyChic2003 said:

I never knew about this forum before a couple of days ago.  I've been lurking, but decided to chime in.  I'd have to say the most stressful part for me is when everyone says, "it's your year!" or "they have to select you, you're SSOY!"  I think I've done my best.  Although making rank is always a goal, I've just focused on being a great Sailor and Leader.  Ultimately, that will get you where you want to be.  OSN:  I don't know what else the board would want from me though LOL ;-)

This is how I feel too. I am in the same boat as you. The only thing that worries me is that I have had some non-traditional billets where I haven't had the opportunity to have a large number of sailors under me. With that being said, against the Firsts that have, I don't have a whole lot of "leadership" in the LPO department. However, if it's not your fault, hopefully they will take that in to account.

Guest NavyChic2003

@bocktagon I have no idea what the board is looking for, and I believe for every Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief you ask you will get a different answer.  The only people that know are the Master Chiefs that sat the board.  However, I believe that the Master Chief's screening our records are well experienced and knowledgeable.  They know how billets work and how the Fleet is, as long as your evaluations reflect the hard work you've done and how you've helped Sailors (even if it's only a handful) that's what matters!

Guest FCC_Thawk
1 hour ago, AWFChief said:

Typically after the board adjourns they start reviewing PRIMS and security clearances.  If a Select has issues, that's when they get an H vice S

Chief, from what I saw on the NPC Selection Board Brief, PRIMS is not looked at at all during the board process or post board scrub. Commands are supposed to remove advancement recommendation upon failure of a PFA via Naval Message to PERS. It is also supposed to be addressed in the next EVAL. I know someone who was selected after failing the PFA because their COC didn't route the message to PERS. 

Guest bocktagon
1 minute ago, NavyChic2003 said:

@bocktagon I have no idea what the board is looking for, and I believe for every Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief you ask you will get a different answer.  The only people that know are the Master Chiefs that sat the board.  However, I believe that the Master Chief's screening our records are well experienced and knowledgeable.  They know how billets work and how the Fleet is, as long as your evaluations reflect the hard work you've done and how you've helped Sailors (even if it's only a handful) that's what matters!

Lets hope you're right about this. I still wonder how much weight SSOY carries though. Never got a straight answer on that. I wonder how many SSOY's don't make it.

Guest FCC_Thawk
Just now, bocktagon said:

Lets hope you're right about this. I still wonder how much weight SSOY carries though. Never got a straight answer on that. I wonder how many SSOY's don't make it.

I wonder how much it weighs as well. I wasn't SOY, but I was Instructor of the Year. Unfortunately, the board can't divulge the scoresheets. 

Guest NavyChic2003
2 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

I wonder how much it weighs as well. I wasn't SOY, but I was Instructor of the Year. Unfortunately, the board can't divulge the scoresheets. 

I have Instructor of the Year in my record from my previous command; I'm on sea duty now (was SSOY this year), but they saw the Instructor of the Year last year at the board in my evals/awards.  Maybe it wasn't as big of a factor since it was a couple of years old.

Guest AlphaMaleOne
6 minutes ago, bocktagon said:

How about how much PPME and JPME weighs as well...or even SFF

Guest NavyChic2003
2 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

I have Instructor of the Year in my record from my previous command; I'm on sea duty now (was SSOY this year), but they saw the Instructor of the Year last year at the board in my evals/awards.  Maybe it wasn't as big of a factor since it was a couple of years old.

Guest bocktagon
9 minutes ago, NavyChic2003 said:

This is a total guess but I would imagine that is added to educational points if that's how its done anyway. No idea what it would be worth but I would imagine the majority of everyone has it done wouldn't you think?

Guest AWFChief
27 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

Chief, from what I saw on the NPC Selection Board Brief, PRIMS is not looked at at all during the board process or post board scrub. Commands are supposed to remove advancement recommendation upon failure of a PFA via Naval Message to PERS. It is also supposed to be addressed in the next EVAL. I know someone who was selected after failing the PFA because their COC didn't route the message to PERS. 

You are correct.  I just read where this change came from and that the commands are responsible.   Thanks for keeping me honest!

Guest FCC_Thawk
28 minutes ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

I'm not sure, but if it's on the precepts or convening order, it's best to have it done in my opinion. 

Guest OldSalt
Just now, FC1THawk said:

I'm not sure, but if it's on the precepts or convening order, it's best to have it done in my opinion. 

Kind of my feeling about it. If they took time to mention those specifically than it is probably there for a reason. And, worth some points too. One way or the other better to have than not.

Guest Blankslate

The way it was explained to my spouse by a Master Chief who had been on the board is that PPME and JPME are weighted the same as having an associates degree. My spouse had just finished his AA last cycle right before packages were due so he didn't make sure that his PPME and JPME were completed, thinking it's weighted the same. He didn't pick up and that was the only thing his Chiefs could think were an area of improvement for him was making sure he took the time to complete it. 

Guest NavyChic2003
2 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

The way it was explained to my spouse by a Master Chief who had been on the board is that PPME and JPME are weighted the same as having an associates degree. My spouse had just finished his AA last cycle right before packages were due so he didn't make sure that his PPME and JPME were completed, thinking it's weighted the same. He didn't pick up and that was the only thing his Chiefs could think were an area of improvement for him was making sure he took the time to complete it. 

I've heard so many rumors about PPME, JPME, USMAPS, and college degrees; I really don't know what to believe anymore. 

Guest OldSalt

It took me seeing people talking about getting their PPME and JPME done over and over again on this forum (back when I was lurking, sign up everyone) for it to finally sink in that I should do them. That is one of the reasons that I am so glad this forum exists.

6 hours ago, OneLastDance said:

Not getting feedback is very frustrating thing for everyone. Nobody knows why they did or did not get selected. What put one person over the line and the other below. For those mentoring future Chiefs they are left guessing like everybody else while trying to help. But, look at it if they did. "You did not get selected because you did not (insert issue here)." You fix that, and the next year again not selected. "Well this year they were looking more for (blank)." I think that may make it even more frustrating. Or, say they put out a list of things that once you meet you are selected. Now, you have 90 personnel that has everything on the list with room for only twenty selects. You have frustrations because they said you only needed 20 pieces of flare, and that was obviously not good enough. So, now tell me what I need to do to advance. Than you end up in the same situation cause once they put out that piece of info everyone goes out and meets it. Making nobody stand out, leaving the board to find ways to separate selects out, and everyone upset that if they were told that is what the board was going to be looking for they would have done it. Ending up in a vicious cycle

What if they didn't tell you why you didn't make it but released a rack and stack of where you did fall out?

Guest FCC_Thawk
28 minutes ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

Guest OldSalt
1 minute ago, NavyChic2003 said:

I've heard so many rumors about PPME, JPME, USMAPS, and college degrees; I really don't know what to believe anymore. 

They all help to some extent. One year USMAPS, for example, may be worth 5 points on the board. The next it may be worth 10 points, or maybe 0 points. Regardless, they may get you points which is good, or they may not which is no harm no foul. But, they will show you are working at improving yourself in some fashion which is always good. Another good thing to mention is how many of your sailors completed these.

Guest AlphaMaleOne
7 minutes ago, NavyChic2003 said:

I have completed PPME, JPME, and 3 USMAPS...hope they help this year.

Guest NavyChic2003
1 minute ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

I have completed PPME, JPME, and 3 USMAPS...hope they help this year.

Lol... I know the feeling.  I have a Master's degree, 2 USMAPS, and PPME.  So something should count!