Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal


ITC(IW/SW/AW)

FY17 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

2,916 posts in this topic


So I didn't hear anything yesterday so I am going to go with I didn't get the S this year. Gonna regroup and go at it again for the junior sailors. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to put congratulations for all those that made it!!!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, iamevilradio said:

Well... today has kind of been a roller coaster. At first, they started pulling people aside one by one to let them know that they didn't make it before they did a big intercom announcement, so I was pretty hopeful because no one pulled me aside. Then they made the big announcement and... I wasn't on it. So about 20 minutes of sulking later I decide to go start smoking again because it's one of those days and my Chief stops me and tells me that they don't know about me yet. This I sort of brush off as one of those "We don't understand why you didn't make it so maybe your results got sent to your old UIC since you've only been here a month" things which I dismissed immediately because people who hadn't even reported yet got their results. 3 hours go by and I decide to leave after breaking the news to my wife that I didn't make it. I'm pulling onto my street after driving home where I get a Facebook message from someone telling me to call the office because no one had my number. One of my Chiefs had a friend on Facebook who had seen that I made it. Came back to work. Finally found out that I'm in a Hold status from a NJP 4 years and 11 months earlier. It's been a weird day and I'm sort of emotionally drained.

I'm not allowed to play in any Phase II events until I get this hold resolved, but I'm pretty hopeful at moment. Working on my Statement to NPC to get this resolved. Anyone else had any experience with this? Any advice? 

I have seen this.  I have a very good friend that went through this exact same scenario.  He had some hoops to jump through with his command, CO, and CMC, and then submitted all the paperwork, and then had to wait it out.  He also was not able to participate until the answer came in.  It took a while, but he was able to get a season, and get pinned.  Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks, @KnockoutTrish has started a thread for CPO Selectee Spouses. Please pass the word to selectees - we want to give spouses all options in communicating during this time. KnockoutTrish has been around for awhile so she has some experience. She even assisted here with a spouse that had a big issue where we communicated with her over a weekend. That's right - we helped family in need over the internet... BBb)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AlohaChicken said:

He made it!

He had me going too, came home and told me all about his friends who picked up and how many were made on the ship and how pissed he was he had to stay late to do a PA setup. FIVE MINUTES of me feeling terrible for him.

Then he tells me he's messed with me long enough. So excited and proud of him!!

Is your husband on the Ford...I heard the same story this morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was not selected and I know of a few things I will work on for next year. Finish my AS degree, PPME, MOVSM. But being I just convertered to a new rate is that something that could have held me back. I know a few people at my last command that picked up and competitively I had more than them and wonder if I had stayed in my old rate would I have been selected. I have been told that switching into my new rate the board might want to see me perform at this level before giving me the blessing of moving up. Any truth to this? Either way I am going to take this and use it as motivation to have a more complete kit next year. Hopefully ate my CDB I will get some good info to build on my weaknesses and be better for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Weazle said:

I have seen this.  I have a very good friend that went through this exact same scenario.  He had some hoops to jump through with his command, CO, and CMC, and then submitted all the paperwork, and then had to wait it out.  He also was not able to participate until the answer came in.  It took a while, but he was able to get a season, and get pinned.  Good Luck!

Thanks. Should have my package sent to NPC tomorrow. The struggle has been tracking down people from my last command to write letters of recommendation on my behalf since I have only been at my command for about a month. I'm pretty sure I've got it all together and I think it'll work out for me. I'm not going to lie though, I was prepared to get a N this year but I was not at all prepared to get thrown into more "did I make it?" limbo. I think my reaction to this is only going to get worse as I see the Chief Selects move past me while I'm waiting again. I've got faith though. I'll get this. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WJ77 said:

Did not get the S this time, however I am asking for support in trying to find what I need to do to get that S next year. So far for the entire time I have been up for it I've passed the test every time, yet for the past 6 year's I've never actually had any mentorship or actual support in reaching that next level. It's just been my luck of the draw at the commands I've been to. I measure my success in how well my Sailors succeed and I've had Sailors of the year, Sailors picked for WH duty, 80% of my Sailors advance, 60% attain college degrees.... etc.. So if there are any ITC's or Chiefs that can help I really need it. After years of being the person people come to looking for help and finding solutions to the impossible tasks I myself am in need of help this time.

PM me.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2016 at 1:22 PM, IT_wun(IW/SCW/SW/AW) said:

God is good... I finally joined this about a week ago after lurking around for about the last 2 cycles.

I got the coveted "S" today.  I'm so grateful as this was my second time up.

First let me start by saying this....for those that weren't selected this is NOT the time to give up or throw in the towel. I've been there and I know how it feels... Not too good...but you can either let life happen to you....or you can get up and make life happen for you!!  This is the time to GRIND!! Starting with preparation for the exam in January. Don't let your Sailors see you down. They feed off your energy and if they see you get back up after you fall, chances are they will do the same. Utilize the resources available. Big navy makes this easy, you have free access to all members who sat your rating panel. CONTACT them! No they can't tell you why you weren't selected but you can certainly ask for guidance and advice to help you remain competitive in your perspective rating. They truly want to help and are standing by to assist.  I did it and trust me it works.  They are just as eager to see you succeed as much as you want to succeed for yourself!

Congrats to all those who were selected!!! God bless and let's push through the next SIX weeks

Congratulations on your Selection!

I am happy to report I got the "S" as well... 

As stated above, right now is the time to focus on the January exam. Without making the cut there, you wont have the opportunity to be seen by the board. I also was not selected last year, so I do know the feeling of disappointment and let down. This forum as I have stated before is an EXCELLENT group to reach out to people who genuinely want to help others succeed. I feel a good part of the reason I made it this time around was because of the conversations I had with some of the Chiefs that are members here. Reach out to them! They will help you!

I came from 2.5 years in Aviation as an IT. It is NOT EASY to break out when you are competing against Sailors who are running workcenters, CDI/CDQAR qualified and especially at the PO1 level, Safe for Flight qualified and running Maintenance Control. In that scenario, you have to think outside the box. Collateral Duties at the Command and Department Level, Continuing Education, whether it is college, CLEP, USMAP, etc. Also, CPO 365 is VERY HIGHLY looked upon. Be a facilitator and actively participate in events when you can. Trust me, it will help! What I wanted to show was that NO MATTER where you are stationed, whether you are in the majority or the minority, with hard word and dedication, YOU CAN SUCCEED!!! 

Also, take the time NOW to really scrub your records and ensure you have everything in order. Of course, the board cannot tell you why you did not get selected, but if your record is missing items such as evals, awards, etc., that could have been the difference.

Please feel free to reach out if you need someone to vent to, ask for board preparation advice...anything!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iamevilradio said:

Thanks. Should have my package sent to NPC tomorrow. The struggle has been tracking down people from my last command to write letters of recommendation on my behalf since I have only been at my command for about a month. I'm pretty sure I've got it all together and I think it'll work out for me. I'm not going to lie though, I was prepared to get a N this year but I was not at all prepared to get thrown into more "did I make it?" limbo. I think my reaction to this is only going to get worse as I see the Chief Selects move past me while I'm waiting again. I've got faith though. I'll get this. 

Keep us updated. I really hope you get this settled soon and join them fast... BBb)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I agree that hearing you got time is something that is not consoling or needed. Hard charging leaders do not need time or want to wait to have the opportunity to put on anchors and lead at a whole new level. It is a gut punch to not get selected and I can say that I hope it is something you can bounce back from quickly. Stay focused and continue to do great things. If you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out to any Chief. Do a really good record review and have someone outside your rate an someone within your rate review your record with you. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you so much, CPO_Pride247. That is exactly what I feel like. I am doing better today, but I am still a little bummed out. I wanted to ask you a question and see what your thoughts are on this. So, I am a PS, and I have never been ships company. I have, however, been stationed with a squadron and I deployed with that command. Even though I have never been ships company, I have never been lazy at any of my commands. I have leadership and mentorship and I have held the LPO position. I have heard mixed reviews from all of the Master Chief's I have had look at my record. Some say I will never make Chief because I have never been stationed on a ship; others say that's not the case because PS is not really a ship going rate any more. I wanted to ask you honest opinion on this. I am also limited on command choice because of spouse co-lo. I am currently on Staff Duty and the leadership opportunities are limited due to the fact there are no junior Sailors; granted I know there are opportunities for leadership, especially of my peers, it's just not a typical command with a lot of junior Sailors. I have thought about terminating my shore duty early but if I do that, my spouse co-lo goes out the window and I am not willing to do that. I guess I am just trying to get feedback, and to see if I really don't even have a shot at making Chief because of the ship thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone explain to me how the order of advancement works (I.E. how they get that number next to their name?) I have heard everything from it's based off the # of points they were awarded by the board to it's based on their time in rate. Navadmin didn't help and I am just trying to figure out what it means and how it plays in the grand scheme of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PS1_Flo said:

Thank you so much, CPO_Pride247. That is exactly what I feel like. I am doing better today, but I am still a little bummed out. I wanted to ask you a question and see what your thoughts are on this. So, I am a PS, and I have never been ships company. I have, however, been stationed with a squadron and I deployed with that command. Even though I have never been ships company, I have never been lazy at any of my commands. I have leadership and mentorship and I have held the LPO position. I have heard mixed reviews from all of the Master Chief's I have had look at my record. Some say I will never make Chief because I have never been stationed on a ship; others say that's not the case because PS is not really a ship going rate any more. I wanted to ask you honest opinion on this. I am also limited on command choice because of spouse co-lo. I am currently on Staff Duty and the leadership opportunities are limited due to the fact there are no junior Sailors; granted I know there are opportunities for leadership, especially of my peers, it's just not a typical command with a lot of junior Sailors. I have thought about terminating my shore duty early but if I do that, my spouse co-lo goes out the window and I am not willing to do that. I guess I am just trying to get feedback, and to see if I really don't even have a shot at making Chief because of the ship thing.

PS1 I have a friend that had a master chief sit the board, and he said non ship sea duty was looked negatively upon a PS record. But that is one person, I think you can succeed anywhere. My new CO sat the board for PS/YN, I will definitely share what he thinks PS should have/been stsioned. My situation is complicated. I cross rated from OS to PS but I have done well as PS. I have only been a PS for 4 years (been in 13) I don't know if this hurts me or not when comparing to PS that have been the rate their whole career.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FY17 thread has been closed. Please continue in the new FY18 CPO thread. 

  • If you posted a request for help in this thread, feel free to repost in the FY18 forum.
  • You are also more than welcome to vent in the FY18 thread too. (that is one of the reasons for this forum).

I want to thank everyone for the great entertainment and putting up with the guidelines BBb)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

    • NavySAR
    • ¡Viva!
    • SeaBeeDoc
    • Admin_warrior


  • Popular Contributors

    1. 1
      papasmurf
      papasmurf
      55
    2. 2
      NDC(DSW/EXW/SW)
      NDC(DSW/EXW/SW)
      44
    3. 3
      Tony
      Tony
      44
    4. 4
      HawkISback
      HawkISback
      40
    5. 5
      Christyl
      Christyl
      37