FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest HawkISback
5 minutes ago, Intel said:

My guess is results will be released on the July 27th, or August 1st or 3rd.  The Navy has an affinity for Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Good luck to everyone!  Second time up here.  Fingers crossed....

That seems legit, I think the Tuesday's and Thursday's seem to come into play because of the routing process.  

Guest The Man

I heard a rumor of august 9th last night. reasoning due to they want the master chief results posted before the release of the 7 results. Remember this is just a rumor.

Guest RPC(SCW)

Just received email from my Command SEL, "As far as the results there are a ton  of rumors from this is fallout from the leakage of the E9 results to numerous other things. The real answer is that they are not out yet. This is not a problem for us because we adapt and overcome. "  We are still planning for the results on the 27th with trip to GL for uniforms on the 29th.  Of course we will adapt and overcome if this goes into August. 

Guest HawkISback

Thinking about next year already, once I get my boat quals done if I get them in nsips I wouldn't need to send them in the LTB would I?

Guest SEABEE(NMT)
1 minute ago, HawkISback said:

Thinking about next year already, once I get my boat quals done if I get them in nsips I wouldn't need to send them in the LTB would I?

The boards didn't look at NSIPS is what I was told. But if their on your eval you wouldn't have to send them in I wouldn't think.

Guest HawkISback
Just now, SEABEE(NMT) said:

The boards didn't look at NSIPS is what I was told. But if their on your eval you wouldn't have to send them in I wouldn't think.

I guess I'll have to send it then.  Thanks!

Guest Christyl

I updated stats originally posted by NDC last year!!!

FY-2001, NAVADMIN 198/00 — 08/04/00 — Friday
FY-2002, NAVADMIN 197/01 — 08/03/01 — Friday 
FY-2003, NAVADMIN 238/02 — 08/02/02 — Friday 
FY-2004, NAVADMIN 218/03 — 08/06/03 — Wednesday 
FY-2005, NAVADMIN 173/04 — 07/28/04 — Wednesday 
FY-2006, NAVADMIN 183/05 — 07/28/05 — Thursday 
FY-2007, NAVADMIN 221/06 — 08/04/06 — Friday 
FY-2008, NAVADMIN 196/07 — 08/08/07 — Wednesday 
FY-2009, NAVADMIN 213/08 — 08/01/08 — Friday 
FY-2010, NAVADMIN 230/09 — 07/31/09 — Friday 
FY-2011, NAVADMIN 269/10 — 08/11/10 — Wednesday 
FY-2012, NAVADMIN 233/11 — 08/01/11 — Monday 
FY-2013, NAVADMIN 232/12 — 07/31/12 — Tuesday 
FY-2014, NAVADMIN 193/13 — 08/01/13 — Thursday 
FY-2015, NAVADMIN 178/14 — 08/05/14 — Tuesday
FY-2016, NAVADMIN 184/15 — 08/06/15 — Thursday

FY-2017, NAVADMIN 173/16 -    08/03/16 - Wednesday 

Released within the last 4 days of Jul: 23.5%
Released within the first 6 days of Aug: 64.7%
Released after the 7th day of Aug: 11.7%

NAVADMIN Release:

Release on a Monday: 5%  

Release on a Tuesday: 11.7%
Release on a Wednesday: 29.4%
Release on a Thursday: 17.6%
Release on a Friday: 35.2%

If Triad release is a pay prior, here is what that would look like:

Command received on a Monday (NAVADMIN released Tuesday 2x): 11%

Command received on a Tuesday (NAVADMIN released Wednesday 5x): 29.4%

Command received on a Wednesday (NAVADMIN released Thursday 3x): 17.6%

Command received on a Thursday (NAVADMIN released Friday 6x ): 35.2%

Command received on a Friday (NAVADMIN released Monday 1x): 5%

Guest ETC(EXW/SW)
50 minutes ago, LSHARP said:

How come it seems like some SELs are getting info while others are not. You would think it would be across the board. Everyday my Master Chief sees me he says checked bupers nothing yet lol. 

The amount of info that Chiefs may or may not get depends on a lot of factors- their personal network they may have built, their individual Mess's network , their position and also what Command they may be at - just to name a few.

Guest PSjg78
1 hour ago, RPC(SCW) said:

Just received email from my Command SEL, "As far as the results there are a ton  of rumors from this is fallout from the leakage of the E9 results to numerous other things. The real answer is that they are not out yet. This is not a problem for us because we adapt and overcome. "  We are still planning for the results on the 27th with trip to GL for uniforms on the 29th.  Of course we will adapt and overcome if this goes into August. 

Thanks for the update. 

Guest ETC(EXW/SW)
3 minutes ago, NDC(DSW/EXW/SW) said:

Your LTB is things you want to the board to see that is important to you. With that being said, if you get an LOD for your quals, then I would submit that. Reason being is that holds more weight than a mark on an eval because it is the skippers way of saying "I trust this sailor to do this specific job with MY name on the line". Some collaterals on evals get overlooked, unintentionally of course, so if you have a piece an LOD for a specific qual, the board will see it.

Well said, a perfect example - what would stand out more on a Board -  A) Tactical Coxswain Qualified  or B) Designated letter as a Tactical Coxswain signed by the CO granting you weapons release authority.  Of course the letter, just because you have earned a qualification doesn't mean you are still acting in that role or that a new CO grants you the authority to act in their name

Guest HawkISback
36 minutes ago, NDC(DSW/EXW/SW) said:

Your LTB is things you want to the board to see that is important to you. With that being said, if you get an LOD for your quals, then I would submit that. Reason being is that holds more weight than a mark on an eval because it is the skippers way of saying "I trust this sailor to do this specific job with MY name on the line". Some collaterals on evals get overlooked, unintentionally of course, so if you have a piece an LOD for a specific qual, the board will see it.

Thanks for the gouge, it's possible my sand time has come at the expense of at sea quals. Which might be the reason I wasn't selected.  I won't have an evaluation prior to the next board so my hope was to get the Radio quals in there. Honestly, though it may not be the issue maybe it's not enough SSP.  

Guest Christyl

To change the subject a little I would like to talk about humility.  

Recently I purchased my gold chevron's with pride.  A shipmate who saw me with them said they never want to go "gold" and that by 12 years that you should be a chief.  

I think it is important to remember this year whether we are selected or not that everyone has a career that is different.  If you make it your first time up with less than 12 years  I'm happy for you,  however it does not make me a bad sailor because I haven't made it.  No two careers are alike,  please show others respect and dignity as results come out.  Others have fought for years for this chance. To the ones that are lucky that never have to know what it's like to be not selected Im happy for you, please stay humble.  Take time to celebrate with fellow selects and take time to recognize the disappointment others might be having.

It's important to change the culture of thinking that if you're not selected that you're a bad sailor or that you "suck".  There's always a need to improve whether are you selected or not.  Stay humble stay hungry and most importantly continue doing what you're doing, not to make chief  but because you have pride in your work and you want to see other sailors succeeding. 

Lastly,  I take pride in my gold chevron's . I am seasoned and I've been through a lot.  My  career is unlike any others but I think it's experience that helps build a leader.  I love the dynamic and diverse group of people that make up the Navy,  and that will one day make up the Chiefs' mess.

IMG_0013.JPG

Guest IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW)
5 minutes ago, Christyl said:

Recently I purchased my gold chevron's with pride.  A shipmate who saw me with them said they never want to go "gold" and that by 12 years that you should be a chief.  

That's not a shipmate, that's a douche.  Sadly the world is full of toxic people who try to build themselves up by tearing you down.  I'm an 18-year first who's been up for Chief since 2005.  And you know what?  I'm awesome!  I'll be awesome if I make Chief, and I'll be awesome if I don't. 

It sounds like you've done a great job at being awesome yourself.

Guest HawkISback
11 minutes ago, Christyl said:

I think it is important to remember this year whether we are selected or not that everyone has a career that is different.  If you make it your first time up with less than 12 years  I'm happy for you,  however it does not make me a bad sailor because I haven't made it.  No two careers are alike,  please show others respect and dignity as results come out.  Others have fought for years for this chance. To the ones that are lucky that never have to know what it's like to be not selected Im happy for you, please stay humble.  Take time to celebrate with fellow selects and take time to recognize the disappointment others might be having.

It's important to change the culture of thinking that if you're not selected that you're a bad sailor or that you "suck".  There's always a need to improve whether are you selected or not.  Stay humble stay hungry and most importantly continue doing what you're doing, not to make chief  but because you have pride in your work and you want to see other sailors succeeding. 

Lastly,  I take pride in my gold chevron's . I am seasoned and I've been through a lot.  My  career is unlike any others but I think it's experience that helps build a leader.  I love the dynamic and diverse group of people that make up the Navy,  and that will one day make up the Chiefs' mess.

IMG_0013.JPG

I'm at 18 so I feel you!

Guest Riverine Rat
40 minutes ago, Christyl said:

IMG_0013.JPG

I had a CMC at an old command who put it this way. He asked all FCPO who where up for Chief their first time to raise their hands. Next told all the FCPO who had be up two or more times to raise our hands. He said look around. If you don't have to know the heartache of not being selected good on you but remember most of us out here do and show the respect and be humble. Just because you are not selected your first time or never selected does not mean you are a bad sailor or didn't have what it takes to be a Chief. Sometime our careers don't match the Leader we are. Keep your head up take care of your sailors and yourself. If you let yourself slip how can you take care of sailors so don't forget to do what you need to do as well. Good luck to all.

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009
50 minutes ago, IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW) said:

That's not a shipmate, that's a douche.  Sadly the world is full of toxic people who try to build themselves up by tearing you down.  I'm an 18-year first who's been up for Chief since 2005.  And you know what?  I'm awesome!  I'll be awesome if I make Chief, and I'll be awesome if I don't. 

18 years as well.  Been taking the exam since 2011, but made board only this year and last year.

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
57 minutes ago, IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW) said:

I know plenty of people with gold stripes who are Grade A, #1 sailors, but their rates are not making Chiefs.

I wear my gold proudly, I came close to losing that privilege once, and it reminds me to behave myself

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
1 minute ago, papasmurf said:

Im right there with you, i wear my gold and stripes proud.. and to be honest, Red Chiefs (under 12 yrs) are not someone i look up to.. .while they may be a great sailor... you have not in my opinion been around long enough to develop the real leadership skills and knowledge to be the chiefs I want to be mentored by

We had a BM who came in APG and made Chief in 7 years. Is she a good person, sure, has she earned the rank, to me not really.

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
2 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

cant agree enough... one of my best friends made HMC in 10 1/2 years... is he awesome Get underway! In the offing knoweth ye that hand over fist I will fight hard & fast! So batten down the hatches because between the devil and the deep blue sea I will deliver more than a shot across the bow! (You big dummy) right he is, does he have a lot to learn yup! not saying he doesnt deserve to be a chief because he very much does... just hard to really to deal with a chief who has been in less time than ive been a first LOL

making rank is one thing, putting in the time to learn the job, and developing your leadership skills is another

Guest BethSta

I know this is kind of irrelevant -- but I want to say thank you to all of you.  I"m *just* a Navy wife (a new one at that, we got married 1 Apr), and I'm also an Air Force brat (dad is retired).

Never, in all the years of dealing with Champus (well lamenting the woes), Tricare (you know things to bond over LOL), my dad's retirement stuff etc etc have I ever seen so much camaraderie and genuine caring as I have over the last few months in this waiting period for results.  I'm in awe.  I'm also right there beside you waiting to see if my husband made it!!  LOL!

Anyway -- I'm also posting to contribute to getting this to 100 pages since that seems to be the magic number or something.

I don't think it should be an automatic I can't respect you if you have two red strips just like it shouldn't be an automatic I have all the respect in the world for you because you have gold. We all have earned some form of respect by enlisted and based on who you are you either earn more or lose. 

This is my second time up and if I make it I'd be at 10 years I've earned my respect and plan to keep earning it if I am selected for anchors. 

Guest CTRC(IW/SW/AW)
1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

cant agree enough... one of my best friends made HMC in 10 1/2 years... is he awesome darn right he is, does he have a lot to learn yup! not saying he doesnt deserve to be a chief because he very much does... just hard to really to deal with a chief who has been in less time than ive been a first LOL

I'm going to have to disagree. We all have a lot to learn and we can all learn from each other. Regardless of paygrade, if you ever feel like "you've made it, and deserve to be there" you are wrong. The only way you get anywhere this high in the Navy is on the backs of your Saiors and your upper chain of command believing in you. If you can stop looking up and start looking down, you can pull your Sailors up to your level and they'll get you to the next. Somebody is looking down the chain and trying to pull you up right now. Good luck to all!

Guest DeepSea_IDC

Oooo I love this topic.

In one breathe, we are preaching that time in service isn't a determinant in being a good sailor. The next is bashing <12 year Chiefs. Highly ironic if you ask me.

If you think you having nothing to learn from a person because they have less time in than you, then you are largely mistaken. This is regardless of rank. By assuming you know better than a board of MCPOs, the senior officers chairing the board, the flag that signs off on the selections, the mess that ranked and initiated them, and even the CO who signed their eval to get them there in the first place is pure arrogance. Leadership is the biggest factor for selection, if you don't have it, it doesn't matter how many MOVSMs or JPMEs you have.

Most, if not all, Chiefs credit their anchors to their troops and by implying they haven't earned them, degrades every sailor who helped them get there. I was initiated with a 6 1/2 year chief and 19 year chief, both are stellar leaders who earn their anchors everyday.