FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest amcreed

I live by the slogan " All you need is one quota". If you are doing all the right things and have maintained SSP then you should feel that one quota is yours for the taking.

Absolutely true.  Somebody is going to make it.  Might as well be you....or me in this case! lol

Absolutely true.  Somebody is going to make it.  Might as well be you....or me in this case! lol

I keep asking myself this question everyday "Why wouldnt it be me?" Never once will i cross the line of humility because at this juncture i don't control my fate however the confidence that flows through my veins stems from the SSP over these years and the countless sailors i have had a profound and everlasting effect on.

• Like 1

The board convenes on Monday the 23rd.  They are most likely already signed and ready to be given to the board with the convening order and membership list.  I'm also thinking that they will get released Navy wide on Tuesday the 24th.  Big money, Big money, No whammy, No whammy!

If you look at last year's convening order, it's dated a week prior to the actual convene date.  So yeah, it's ready.

Also I've always felt that the actual exam score should play a role in selection. I know there are some good and bad test takers but a great score in conjuction with great evaluations should defnitely play a role. 

This is from the precept

"Consider an eligible's demonstrated knowledge of rate and the extent to which that eligible used that knowledge to positively impact his/her command."

I've always been told that your exam score is a key factor in determining your knowledge of rate, and I heard that it can also be used as a tie-breaker.

Guest amcreed

I've always been told that your exam score is a key factor in determining your knowledge of rate, and I heard that it can also be used as a tie-breaker.

I hadn't heard that, but my test score is on point.  So if that is the case, more ammo in my arsenal.  There is an LS at my command that scored in the 99th percentile.  He is our FCM Pres and I expect him to pick up this year.  Awesome dude and counterpart, as I am the VP.  He got number 9 out of 104 where I got number 11 our of 104 and I only scored in the 92nd percentile.  Two different rates, but that guys should easily pick up this year.

Guest amcreed

amcreed, Bagram says thank you...  BBb)

Nice!  Happy to help.  I know if I ever need it, this forum is here to help me too.  That's what it's all about. :)

Guest Blondie

Will the board membership list be released the day the board convenes?  When are quotas expected to be released?  Thanks for the help folks, I'm getting ready to deploy and have been super busy the last few weeks.

There is an old All Hands article (1997) that goes over the chief selection process, in it, under the section "what the board considers" they state the test score is taken into consideration. I know a lot could have changed between now and then, or the article could have wrong info, but that is really the only mention I have seen stating the board reviews the test score.

Guest amcreed

Looking for another high quotas for OS'S. Fingers crossed

I know I'm also hoping for high CTR quotas too because I have a higher probability, but remember, all you need is one!

Guest amcreed

Thinking about changing my date for when the results come out... to me it is looking around aug 5th

That's probably pretty accurate since that is exactly 6 weeks from the pinning.  I think it'll happen anywhere between the 31st-6th, but my smart money is going on Monday 4 August for the 24 hour early release to the commands and "the list" being available on the 5th.

Welcome new members and old timers. remember to check out the guidelines before posting.

as a another reminder, the forum got hacked and all accounts lost. so if you are wondering what happened to your account, now you know what happened (excluding those who got banned of course. :huh: ) 

so create your account and join in the fun/ frustration/ anticipation/ confusion - share your knowledge and also learn  ...  BBb)

Guest Creed2011

I've heard from most people that time is not supposed to be taken into consideration, but I almost don't see how it couldn't when they are looking mostly at E-5 evals.  I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this considering this would be my situation right now. 

I've heard from most people that time is not supposed to be taken into consideration, but I almost don't see how it couldn't when they are looking mostly at E-5 evals.  I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this considering this would be my situation right now.

We are in the same boat in this matter. I'll put it this way if you were performing at a level of a seasoned First Class during those eval cycles as an E-5 and it's documented as such in your evals I wholeheartedly feel you have a chance. That's why it's imperative at our level to write our Second Classes evals as such due to the possibility they may pick up First Class their first or second time up. I have known a few people in this circumstance that have picked up Chief having Second Class evals evaluated by the CPO board. Fingers crossed for all in our situation!

Guest amcreed

Welcome new members and old timers. remember to check out the guidelines before posting.

as a another reminder, the forum got hacked and all accounts lost. so if you are wondering what happened to your account, now you know what happened (excluding those who got banned of course. :huh: ) 

so create your account and join in the fun/ frustration/ anticipation/ confusion - share your knowledge and also learn  ...  BBb)

Speaking of the banned accounts..... Are you just working off your good memory or are you giving them another shot at it?

Speaking of the banned accounts..... Are you just working off your good memory or are you giving them another shot at it?

truth be told, when someone gets kicked off the forum they are not banned (top secret, don't tell anyone). If they create an account they have to agree to the terms again ( ;) ). when someone is royally banned I keep their info and they are not welcome, not committed to memory because I'm loosing it, I think, if I remember correctly. :huh:   

now very recently someone lost their account re-registered and started right back up -- harassing me again: They are permanently banned and I keep their info. alot more behind the scenes than you know but worth if for the forum.

I asked the FLTCM about this specifically when I had my package reviewed. As long as your E5 evals show SSP and clearly demonstrate the transition going from a Second Class "task oriented performer" to a Second/First Class "leader/mentor" you will be good to go regardless of time. They also commented on wanting to see high ranked E5 evals and openers containing seasoned First Class or Chief like performance references. If you're following strong E5 evals up with breakout First Class evals you shouldn't worry about the "time" factor.

Guest amcreed

truth be told, when someone gets kicked off the forum they are not banned (top secret, don't tell anyone). If they create an account they have to agree to the terms again ( ;) ). when someone is royally banned I keep their info and they are not welcome, not committed to memory because I'm loosing it, I think, if I remember correctly. :huh:   

now very recently someone lost their account re-registered and started right back up -- harassing me again: They are permanently banned and I keep their info. alot more behind the scenes than you know but worth if for the forum.

For sure.  I've enjoyed this forum for years.  I was on my cell phone browsing the forum in 2011 and found out the Chief results were out.  Two STG1s sitting next to me picked up that year.  Pretty awesome being able to tell them to go check and them getting advanced.  I wasn't eligible that year, but even now that I am eligible I'm still stoked to see people pick up.  I know my time will come.

Guest amcreed

I asked the FLTCM about this specifically when I had my package reviewed. As long as your E5 evals show SSP and clearly demonstrate the transition going from a Second Class "task oriented performer" to a Second/First Class "leader/mentor" you will be good to go regardless of time. They also commented on wanting to see high ranked E5 evals and openers containing seasoned First Class or Chief like performance references. If you're following strong E5 evals up with breakout First Class evals you shouldn't worry about the "time" factor.

Think about it this way, they are evaluating your ability to perform at the next pay grade.  They are selecting Sailors that they are confident can succeed as a Chief.  If you go from being a "go-getter" second class and break out quickly as a first class, you are showing SSP by performing at a high level in multiple pay grades.

For sure.  I've enjoyed this forum for years.  I was on my cell phone browsing the forum in 2011 and found out the Chief results were out.  Two STG1s sitting next to me picked up that year.  Pretty awesome being able to tell them to go check and them getting advanced.  I wasn't eligible that year, but even now that I am eligible I'm still stoked to see people pick up.  I know my time will come.

well, I hope the majority is on your side this time around...  ;)

Think about it this way, they are evaluating your ability to perform at the next pay grade.  They are selecting Sailors that they are confident can succeed as a Chief.  If you go from being a "go-getter" second class and break out quickly as a first class, you are showing SSP by performing at a high level in multiple pay grades.

Definitely. The one word at the end of every board brief when talking about the different selection factors is "Potential".

Guest amcreed

well, I hope the majority is on your side this time around...  ;)

Me too!  Maybe there are some board members reading this..... :ph34r: