INFO SECNAV WASHINGTON DC
CNO WASHINGTON DC
CMC WASHINGTON DC

BT
UNCLAS

ALNAV 080/19

MSGID/GENADMIN/SECNAV WASHINGTON DC/-/DEC//

SUBJ/SECNAV VECTOR 1//

RMKS/1.  It is the honor of my lifetime to serve as your Acting Secretary of the Navy.  Although no one, 
other than the President and his Secretary of Defense, can positively determine how long this tenure 
may be, I fully intend to execute their strategic vision.
I consider the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), ADM Mike Gilday, and Commandant of the Marine Corps 
(CMC), Gen Dave Berger to be the right leaders at the right time in history to lead the Navy and Marine 
Corps, together, through a set of immediate changes designed to ensure that Integrated American Naval 
Power will continue to enable our economic and physical security for the rest of the 21st century.

2.  I am convinced that dominant naval force is the primary engine of our National Defense Strategy 
(NDS) and we must plan for it, and most importantly, resource it, accordingly.  As those most trusted 
with planning for our naval requirements, programming, and systems acquisition, it is our time now to 
seize this opportunity with relentless intellectual focus and dedication.  This memorandum is first in a 
series of weekly vectors that I will send to the integrated Navy and Marine Corps team, each addressing 
my focus and direction on our way forward in achieving specific critical enterprise-level objectives.

3.  I have three broad priorities for which I expect alignment from naval military and civilian leadership 
up and down the chain of command:
    a.  Designing a Future Integrated Naval Force Structure.
    b.    Advancing Our Intellectual Capacity and Ethical Excellence.
    c.    Accelerating Digital Modernization Across the Force.

4.  My top five immediate objectives are the following:
    a.  Put All Hands on Deck to make the USS GERALD R. FORD (CVN 78) ready as a warship as soon as 
practically possible.
    b.  Establish an Integrated Plan to achieve a 355 (or more) ships, Unmanned Underwater Vehicles 
(UUVs), and Unmanned Surface Vehicles (USVs) for greater global naval power, within 10 years.
    c.  Increase Engagement with Emerging Naval Partners and Allies in the Pacific Region.
    d.  Fully Fund Our New Naval Education and Information Management Strategies.
    e.  Drive Measurable, Accountable Results to Resolve Public Private Venture (PPV) Issues for our 
Sailors, Marines, and their families.

5.  Successful implementation of all these first objectives will depend upon an integrated Navy and 
Marine Corps leadership team.  I will meet with the CNO, CMC, and senior members of their teams 
together, starting immediately and then twice a month in order to lay the foundations and set 
conditions for these changes, among others.  I am committed to supporting the Commandants Planning 
Guidance (CPG), and expect that the CNOs forthcoming vision will complement it, in coordination with 
my staff.
All future high-level strategies, visions, and guidance emanating from our Navy and Marine Corps team 
must start and finish as integrated efforts, not as final phase bolt-ons from one to the other.

6.  Additionally, my staff and I will become involved in the current Integrated Naval Force Structure 
Assessment (INFSA).  The INFSA will serve as the main analytic and planning effort upon which our 
integrated plan for a larger, more capable naval force will depend, especially in terms of force design 
and future fleet architecture.  This will occur immediately in any recommended changes made to our 
budget for FY 21, and in current planning for FY 22 and beyond.  The INFSA must be based on an 
accurate understanding of our current and future national industrial base, advanced technological 
capability, and digital domains.  I will require regular briefings on the progress of the INFSA and expect it 
to be published no later than January 15, 2020.

7.  Thank you for your leadership in building the Integrated American Naval Force we need to set sail 
safely into an unpredictable future.
Above all else, it has always been our people and their combined intellects, striving for agility and 
accountability, which have historically marked the Navy and Marine Corps team as leaders in adaptation 
for new operational and strategic environments.  As we work in pursuit of the above goals, the nation 
requires we embody the qualities of velocity, collaboration, visibility, adaptability, innovation, humility, 
trust, and yes, skepticism in order to create the kind of agility necessary for continual learning and any 
eventual success we might earn as a team.  It is up to us today to hold each other accountable to display 
the best of these attributes, and take fullest advantage of this opportunity to build the Navy-Marine 
Corps team of the future.

8.  Released by the Honorable Thomas B. Modly, Acting Secretary of the Navy.//

BT
NNNN
UNCLASSIFIED//