FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest aaronarf
1 hour ago, JustAnLS said:

One more thing I wanted to add...I could never stand it when people...especially when MC's say that our rate is a "sea going" rate. What does that really mean? Have you ever heard of a command that does not have an LS? Are LS's only able to work hard and make a difference on a ship? I don't think so. If you asked anyone at my last command they would have a different answer. Like the convening order says, all jobs are important. When it is time for us to transfer and the detailer says "I need you here" and you say ok...and it's not a ship how can that hurt us? I really wish we had more representation on the board too. Not sure about your command but getting selected for my last command required a screening that most LS's I know could not complete!

You have to look at from the perspective that the majority of commands we go to as LS's are ships - far more sea duty billets onboard ships or sea-going squadrons then there are at Special duty/NSW/NECC commands.  This definitely has changed since the war on terror but still people view IA's and such as a position of less leadership.  I have seen it first hand, a CS1 asked for advice and a few CSCS and even GMC's on his facebook page told him he needed to stay on-board the ship and lead sailors...a very small percentage of folks have actually seen a REAL boots on ground deployment across the entire Navy (In my opinion - don't have the data to support it)

I agree about the special duty...I've been to a command that required a extensive in-person screening, PT, and record review etc. to get orders after being hand picked/not advertised on CMS.  These commands are great but a lot of the things you actually do that are not able to be included on your unclassified evaluation.   

Just now, HawkISback said:

Lol is that why mine didn't show up.  Lolz. Sorry. #systembug

LOL, I forgot about those too. When it gets busy it's delete first ask questions later. Anyway I already know you march to the tune of a different drummer.

:5278:

Guest Cyber_IT
1 minute ago, Boats_Petey said:

so now that we know when.

If you make it or not, who is the person you call and what will you do?

I call my wife and all the rest depends on whether I get the N or S.

Guest HawkISback
4 minutes ago, Tony said:

LOL, I forgot about those too. When it gets busy it's delete first ask questions later. Anyway I already know you march to the tune of a different drummer.

:5278:

Capt Jack Sparrow!

Just now, Boats_Petey said:

At the more stellar commands, they will call you. At the not so good commands, I'd shoot a note to the CMC and ask. This issue has cropped up from the very beginning of the Triad method with some shipmates left hanging for the complete 24hrs and sometimes longer if they have internet access issues.

Guest navyordie123
3 minutes ago, Boats_Petey said:

Well either way, I am going to call my wife first and let her know what happens. If I make it then after my wife it'll be the family and then calling a couple Chiefs I used to work for. If I don't then just my wife and family. 

Guest Blankslate

No matter what happens I'll get a call or text message about it. If it's the S i'll be responsible for notifying everyone else. If it's the N i'll only be responsible for family and he'll post a short something later. 

Guest Boats_Petey

I'm not sure what I'd do. My wife and I currently are not on speaking terms. maybe worse. most of the people I would call are on deployment. No family to speak of. So Just gathering Ideas.

Guest Cyber_IT
2 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

Well either way, I am going to call my wife first and let her know what happens. If I make it then after my wife it'll be the family and then calling a couple Chiefs I used to work for. If I don't then just my wife and family. 

If I get the S, I wish I could call my LCPO from 2003 that told me "I hope you have a job lined up because the Navy doesn't want dirt bags like you."

Guest HawkISback
5 hours ago, Old_Salt_ITC said:

Let us know how that turns out!!   I'd love to see the look on his face when he reads that request!!!   :angry:

You should go to his Facebook page and read the posts from random people. Crazies even in cyber land. 

Guest Admin_warrior
3 minutes ago, Boats_Petey said:

I'm not sure what I'd do. My wife and I currently are not on speaking terms. maybe worse. most of the people I would call are on deployment. No family to speak of. So Just gathering Ideas.

We all go through it sometimes, it's important to remember that we are your family here too, your brothers and sisters. I know for one I will post here whether it's a S or N!

Guest Squidly
52 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

Since we now have hard data...if my spouse gets the magic S tomorrow, will he still be allowed to go take his final exam on Wednesday afternoon?

The world doesn't stop turning, it just gets much busier for the S crowd.  I would imagine something like a college final exam wouldn't be put on hold. 

Just now, Admin_warrior said:

We all go trout it sometimes, it's important to remember that we are your family here too, your brothers and sisters. I know for one I will post here whether it's a S or N

Agree! Post of the month!

Guest Blankslate
1 minute ago, Squidly said:

The world doesn't stop turning, it just gets much busier for the S crowd.  I would imagine something like a college final exam wouldn't be put on hold. 

I hope so. He's been more worried about his final than about getting his anchors! 

Guest 343SBE
2 hours ago, ITC(IW/SW/AW) said:

I have my money on tomorrow.

you must know people in places...well here comes the flood...

Guest 343SBE
1 hour ago, ITC(IW/SW/AW) said:

What happened to the post with the "reliable source at NCP" saying Wednesday release? I always love those posts!

Ok, joking aside, it's time for real talk from the Mess. I know nerves are on edge right now and not much sleeping will be happening tonight. But please, please, please do NOT seek solitude at the bottom of a bottle tonight. I think everyone knows what I am talking about. Meditate, spend time with family, PT, do something productive, and maybe have a beer, but do NOT go out getting hammered, for your own safety, of course. I wish you all the best of luck. Have a SAFE day/evening/night and come to work tomorrow morning refreshed and ready to work hard, whether your name is on the list or not.

sleep will be getting done on this side of the planet (just transferred to the Middle East and the body is somewhat still trying to sleep and stay up when it shouldn't)...lights out for this Sailor....good luck all!