FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest jenkballs

Well ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again!  The roller coaster ride from now until the Chief selection results are released (July/August 2014) is now boarding.  The advancement exam is in less than a week away.  I made board for the first time last cycle (scored a 66) and it was a great feeling.  This is my 5th time up.  I started studying for the exam in October to ensure I get my ticket to the show again.  Welcome to those who are taking the exam for the first time and viewing the forum for the first time.  Welcome back to those who have been following this forum and who have been taking the Chief's exam.  Good luck everybody!

My head is spinning because of all the pub numbers. I can't wait until it's all over in the morning, but then the wait for results begins. It's never over for us lol

Had a pretty low-stress exam this year.  Some things I knew; some things I didn't, but I didn't leave the exam room like I did last year, wondering how I even graduated A school.

But, as much as I love my current tour, I know it's not really helping my chief package any.  I did finally complete my bachelor's degree, though, so I guess that makes me slightly more competitive. 

Still, just wanted to get back in here and say 'hello' before we get to the stage where people start listing off all their #1EP eval and Sailor of the Year stories which always depress me.

Quick board question Get underway! In the offing knoweth ye that hand over fist I will fight hard & fast! So batten down the hatches because between the devil and the deep blue sea I will deliver more than a shot across the bow! (You big dummy), (I hope I made board!): If a Sailor has two SOY wins (one ashore, one at sea) in the last 3 years, does that carry more weight than one SOY win? I ask, because some have argued that it's just a check in the block (like having LPO at sea), and once you've got it, you've got it.

SOY is not a prerequisite to make Chief; the way your evals are written is. SOY carries more weight if the break out group is large (1/30) and the eval and award write up show how the Sailor walked on water. An SOY with a small group of 1/3, for example is less convincing. Some SOYs make chief, but there are also a lot that do not.

Guest KnockoutTrish

I wouldn't say that it carries anymore weight, but I could be wrong.  I can only speak from experience and my husband was SOY for his command one year and wasn't selected.  The next year he was SOY for his command, squadron level as well as Group level and was selected.

In my opinion, I have determined being selected is like baking a cake; if you have all the right ingredients, your cake will be phenomenal (selectee).  Having SOY is like adding icing to an already delicious cake.  But if you do not have all the right materials to begin with (mediocre evals or the dreadful low quotas), you're never going to be able to bake that cake, no matter how good your icing may be.

You are absolutely right. If you are SOY and your record displays sustained superior performance for at least the past three to five years, you have a great shot. A mediocre record that suddenly gets SOY does not necessarily shows SSP. One Master Chief once told me " we don't select one hit wonders".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blondie

Hello, everyone. This is my second year up, hopefully quotas will be better this year (my rating was one of the five worst in the Navy for advancement last cycle). Here is a question I'd like to hear your opinions on: if you have an eval documenting a duty that precepts have deemed worthy of "extra consideration" , such as RDC, recruiting, or service with NSW, but the eval is from longer than five years ago, would you submit it? What if it was from when you were a PO2? Most folks I've asked said the board isn't interested in what you did over five years ago, especially if you were a PO2. But if you received accolades for being a top notch recruiter, RDC, or while serving with NSW in a combat zone, I can't believe the board wouldn't give you extra consideration.

Hello, everyone. This is my second year up, hopefully quotas will be better this year (my rating was one of the five worst in the Navy for advancement last cycle). Here is a question I'd like to hear your opinions on: if you have an eval documenting a duty that precepts have deemed worthy of "extra consideration" , such as RDC, recruiting, or service with NSW, but the eval is from longer than five years ago, would you submit it? What if it was from when you were a PO2? Most folks I've asked said the board isn't interested in what you did over five years ago, especially if you were a PO2. But if you received accolades for being a top notch recruiter, RDC, or while serving with NSW in a combat zone, I can't believe the board wouldn't give you extra consideration.

The board will see your RDC or recruiting duty on your history of assignment. If they want to see how you performed in those duties, all they have to do is look at the evals regardless of the five year cut off. Board members can look at your E1 eval if they want to. Remember, Special duties, IA, oversea duties, etc. are only as good as your performance while there. You will not get points for just showing up.

Guest Blondie

Thank you for the input jenkballs and Dogg. I reviewed last year's precepts and it says "The board shall give consideration to those candidates who displayed superior performance while serving in an IA assignment." My eval from five years ago (and my last as a PO2) covers my IA. I doubt it will be a huge factor for the board but it was written well so it won't hurt at least. I am eager for next cycle when all of my five previous evals will be as a PO1!

Thank you for the input jenkballs and Dogg. I reviewed last year's precepts and it says "The board shall give consideration to those candidates who displayed superior performance while serving in an IA assignment." My eval from five years ago (and my last as a PO2) covers my IA. I doubt it will be a huge factor for the board but it was written well so it won't hurt at least. I am eager for next cycle when all of my five previous evals will be as a PO1!

If your E5 evals are good, they can still help you get selected. I was selected with only 3 E6 evals. One of them was actually a frocking eval. I'm pretty sure my E5 evals played a part since I was selected first time up.

Guest Blondie

If your E5 evals are good, they can still help you get selected. I was selected with only 3 E6 evals. One of them was actually a frocking eval. I'm pretty sure my E5 evals played a part since I was selected first time up.

That's pretty incredible you made it on your first time up!  Did you have mentors along the way making sure you knew what you needed to be doing as a PO2 or did everything just fall in to place?

That's pretty incredible you made it on your first time up!  Did you have mentors along the way making sure you knew what you needed to be doing as a PO2 or did everything just fall in to place?

I was lucky to work for Chiefs that know how to write a good eval. The greatest problem with navy advancement is that a lot of leaders do not know how to communicate to a selection. You can be the hardest charger but if your evals are not written rightly, you will not break out in a competitive selection board. As an admin type, I have seen very poorly written evals even for SOYs and number 1 EPs. I have actually seen an EP with an "Assingnment in Rate" recommendation. That's a kiss of death for a PO1 trying to make Chief. Contact Genuine Master Chiefs who have sad CPO boards and have them read your evals. The few who read mine told me they will not be surprised if I get selected first time up. Evals alone carry a lot of weight for selection.

Guest Blondie

I was lucky to work for Chiefs that know how to write a good eval. The greatest problem with navy advancement is that a lot of leaders do not know how to communicate to a selection. You can be the hardest charger but if your evals are not written rightly, you will not break out in a competitive selection board. As an admin type, I have seen very poorly written evals even for SOYs and number 1 EPs. I have actually seen an EP with an "Assingnment in Rate" recommendation. That's a kiss of death for a PO1 trying to make Chief. Contact Genuine Master Chiefs who have sad CPO boards and have them read your evals. The few who read mine told me they will not be surprised if I get selected first time up. Evals alone carry a lot of weight for selection.

I've asked twice in the past for seniors to take a look at my evals and have been turned down both times.  The first refused because they felt that people shouldn't be eligible for board until they've been in for a certain amount of time.  That was pretty disheartening, and I can only hope that the leaders who sit the board won't base a selection on something like that.

Hello everyone, (first time poster) I would love some input on my PSR.  I have broken service (1997-2003...2006-present and i was not in the reserves durring that time) my OMPF shows all my old paperwork, awards and the ships I have been stationed on (Independance/Kitty Hawk/FICP/VP-10). My PSR only shows commands that i have been at since returning to active duty in 2006, only 1 ship, school and a shore command. I noticed that 4 NAMS show up in the Awards section but NOT my FLOCs, good conducts and ribbons (sea service/overseas service/good conduct etc.). I amnot sure what information  should be on the PSR and what information does not need to be represented.  If everything needs to be on there where do i start to get this info updated (my admin office is run by an inexperianced civilian and a 3rd class YN that has never been to a sea command). Any input is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blondie

Good info guys, my memory isn't what it used to be :) I was overseas when the SBE list came out so it might have been the 20th by the time I got eyes on it.