Auto Hobby Shop N.A.S. Oceana Poor Service, Rude Behavior

On Monday, Feb 6, I went to the car wash on NAS Oceana. When I put 4 dollars worth of coins in the slot water started gushing out from the ceiling. I went to another stall and washed my car. After I was done I went to the N.A.S. Oceana Auto Hobby Shop to inform them of the stall and to get a refund.

The individual that I talked to by the name of Paul was very rude and raised his voice when he said he did not have the coins to give me a refund. After asking for his name, he was able to find and then refunded the $4. They also wanted to know why I had not told them earlier. I moved stalls first and washed my car at my convenience before notifying them.  After that I contacted the MWR office to make a complaint and am expecting a return call from the Deputy Director or Director (as of Feb 8, neither Scott George or Vincent Spagnuolo have contacted me.)

Obviously it's not about the 4 dollars, my primary goal is to ensure that MWR staff are not rude to Sailors, family or vets. This is more so for the young Sailors that live in the barracks. Those are our benefits for serving in the military: Active, Reserve, Vet or family. It's odd that with the current mental health issues in the Navy, the MWR cannot get a grip on the fact that they are supposed to be there for morale, welfare and recreation.

If you have any complaints about the MWR Auto Hobby Shop on N.A.S. Oceana, you can call them at the contact below. You can also contact me if you wish via the contact form.

MWR Oceana - (757) 433-2560
Director: Scott George 
Deputy Director: Vincent Spagnuolo

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the MWR Director, nor the Deputy Director contacted me after I left my contact information to make a formal complaint about the supervisor, Paul.

So what I did was I sent a letter to the CO of NAS Oceana. Much to my surprise, the XO of N.A.S. Oceana called me regarding the incident at the car wash - I did not expect that. It was great to hear what he had to say, especially about the importance of moral on the base. It was obvious he read the letter and he had a few questions. 

As a reminder, I did try to get hold of the MWR Director but I did not get a reply. Also, my concern is how that supervisor may treat Sailors, Vets and their family members. On base, any contracted facility should not behave in the manner I witnessed.

For the Executive Officer of NAS Oceana to reach out to me, when I know they are very busy is very commendable and I truly appreciate that. I can't say that much about the MWR Director but let's hope that things change for the better for what is supposed to be one of our military benefits.

If you have any complaints about the MWR Auto Hobby Shop, or its other facilities on N.A.S. Oceana, you can call them at the contact below. You can also contact me if you wish via the contact form.

MWR Oceana - (757) 433-2560
Director: Scott George 
Deputy Director: Vincent Spagnuolo

And one more reminder that MWR stands for Morale, Welfare and Recreation 😎