FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest amcreed

I was the #2 EP, DLCPO Qualified, and was sitting the DLCPO seat with a designation letter designating me as the DLCPO, not to mention a degree and other things last year and was passed up with quotas left in the room. It happens but you keep pushing on for your people, especially if your they're DLCPO, even if only by designation.

Are you sure they left quotas on the table?  How did you determine they did that?

Guest HawaiiGM

My lcpo had a meeting today, he said he knew when the results will be released to the triad and when the public will know. He wouldn't spill the beans tho.

My lcpo had a meeting today, he said he knew when the results will be released to the triad and when the public will know. He wouldn't spill the beans tho.

I'll bet our info is more accurate than his...  ;)

Guest amcreed

I'll bet our info is more accurate than his...  ;)

I'll bet this is true.  We always have the most up-to-date info on here!

Guest LastChanceNC1

Quota was for like 84 or 88 and only 80 names on the list( relative figures, tried to forget actuals,lol) and 2 of those chiefs have since been discharged. I know the Master Chiefs know what they are doing so I just push on.

The quota was 80 last year/75%. I really don't think quotas were left unfilled. I remember looking. If there were my wife would getting installments of $400,000.00. Totally kidding.

Guest LastChanceNC1

The quota was 80 last year/75%. I really don't think quotas were left unfilled. I remember looking. If there were my wife would getting installments of $400,000.00. Totally kidding.

I stand corrected. It was 85. Can't check the statistics on NKO. But I remember doing all that cause the list was short and I was PO'D and I dont mean Petty Officer.

Guest amcreed

Quota was for like 84 or 88 and only 80 names on the list( relative figures, tried to forget actuals,lol) and 2 of those chiefs have since been discharged. I know the Master Chiefs know what they are doing so I just push on.

Well, just because you only count 80 names on the list doesn't mean they didn't fill all the quotas.  The Sailors that get the "H" aren't put on the list even though they are selected.  They have to get the disc. taken care of before they can be advanced.

Guest clods_hubby

Writes ups are very strong with leading 41 sailors and everything is in there. I mean all focused on leadership and pushing sailors and leading. But last year I was up and I think there wasn't enough meat to be like what is this guy going. To do next year

To be honest with you I don't know all about the write up talk. I truly believe after last year that anything can happen... depending on who receives your record first on the board etc etc... living proof right here. All the talk about leading etc etc. for 2 years I led 2 guys who got selected last year. was my evals stronger? i don't know... but i do know on their last 2 evals they weren't "LPO's".  and i also sent in their packages... i m guessing with this process it is determined by that first person who looks at your record and the second person. if the right 2 people review it. as far as meat being the LPO yes you guessed it their "Meat" was on my eval... i was their LPO....

Guest amcreed

To be honest with you I don't know all about the write up talk. I truly believe after last year that anything can happen... depending on who receives your record first on the board etc etc... living proof right here. All the talk about leading etc etc. for 2 years I led 2 guys who got selected last year. was my evals stronger? i don't know... but i do know on their last 2 evals they weren't "LPO's".  and i also sent in their packages... i m guessing with this process it is determined by that first person who looks at your record and the second person. if the right 2 people review it. as far as meat being the LPO yes you guessed it their "Meat" was on my eval... i was their LPO....

That's rough, but I wonder how their evals looked at their last command.  Maybe you're better, but they might have had rock star evals from before....or they just throw darts at balloons and who ever gets hit makes it....either way!

I assure you he has no clue...

Guest clods_hubby

That's rough, but I wonder how their evals looked at their last command.  Maybe you're better, but they might have had rock star evals from before....or they just throw darts at balloons and who ever gets hit makes it....either way!

nah..i know one of them worked for me actually a total of 4 years.... when we were e5's... so... i don't think its a crap shoot. i will never say that.. but i feel that the first person who views it with his 2nd checker might be looking for different things than the next guys on the board... and those people from what i understand may not even see your record. so if the first person who looks at your record is like he scores here and the second person says the same than from my understanding no one else will be reviewing that record..... when the other peopel reviewing records might be looking for what you might have.

Guest AZ4LIFE

My contact at millington is saying that Thursday is the day

Is it a reliable quote?  I've been guessing thursday all along.

Guest AZ4LIFE

I didn't say something wrong did I?

I think that was the face of "schock" for the info you put in that post lol

Oh... yeah that came from a Master Chief a couple years ago just before she retired. Not every board of course, just something she had seen. She said that there is your cutoff and they keep a certain amount beyond that and then you know the rest. Arbitrary numbers can get you misunderstood and misquoted, but she said less than a single point split 20 people on that line.

Yep, it goes into this a bit on the "Board member/ Recorder training" on BOL. It gives some great insight and discusses how they try and compensate for the "human factor" by looking at an undetermined amount of personnel who fall right below the cutoff. The reason being, the person right below the cutoff might actually be up in the top 3, but if their record was reviewed right after the #1 Sailor in the rate, it might get graded harsher because they just read a super star's package. Very good training. I know it’s been talked about on here before, but everyone should go and do it.

Just because it's 100% doesn't mean they will all be selected. The board members don't have to use all quotas

The way it was explained to a group of us at my last command by our CMC who has sat on boards is that if they don't use all of the quotas the chairman has to explain to the Admiral why they didn't pick people to fill all the spots.  So going from that yes they do not have to use all of the quotas, but they need to have a darn good reason as to why they didn't fill all of the quotas.