FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest Broadside77

Looks like my question brought up some good conversation. I guess since some commands haven't been using the book, I shouldn't be in too much hot water with missing a few signatures.

My command has been talking about bringing these books out, but so far it's been just talk. I'm sure if I'm lucky enough to be selected this year that I'll be slogging through it on top of all the other shenanigans. I know for a fact that my ISIC has their CPO 365 doing the books though...I wonder if this will matter.

Guest Blondie

wow, i didn't - that means either I'll become famous or I am insane!  :lol:

i need to read who danny is first though  :huh:

He was the child actor who played the little boy in The Shining.  He had an imaginary friend named Tony that he would talk to through his finger.

Guest Blondie

I run the training program at my command along side with the Chiefs, I am a liason if you will ahahaha. If you have any questions about that CPO 365 "PQS" I can answer some of them. The book is broken into phase I and phase II. Phase II starts when results are released.

Is the use of the books discretionary?  I am at a large command that takes attending CPO 365 training events very seriously, but until the other day I had never even heard of the books.  We have classroom style training and CPO 365 group PT a couple times a month, but no books.

Guest NavySquid79

We used them at my last command (ship), but not my current command (shore).  I never fully understood the book.  If you go all year and get it all signed off and don't pick up, do you have to have to complete another book?

Guest AEGFC87

From what I understand the book is the guide that is supposed to be used during phase 1, and I'm sure it ties in with phase 2, but I don't think it's required. My command did the books two years ago, but we didn't use them last year or this year. From the looks of it, the book is there to support the "brilliant with the basics" ideal that they're supposed to be following for CPO 365

Guest itdominance

I think we're going to break 100 pages long before the results come out.

:graphics-3d-smileys-283022:

should be over 100 by COB tomorrow? Maybe

Guest amcreed

should be over 100 by COB tomorrow? Maybe

Either way, it's going to happen soon!  Like most of you, I have done the book previously, but my current command isn't doing the book.  We just have gone over the required topics twice so far this year because we have a weekly CPO 365 training with weekly CPO 365 PT.

Guest Blondie

If you have only served on one type of sea platform, does the board look at you negatively?

Short answer is no.  You can serve on the same platform/command/etc. and not have it hurt you, as long as you have increasing levels of responsibility.

Guest amcreed

If you have only served on one type of sea platform, does the board look at you negatively?

It just depends on what you do there.  I have seen it hurt Sailors that don't diversify.  I wouldn't say they look negatively on it, but it's a plus if you are going to different platforms.  Also, it depends on your rating.

Guest itdominance

It just depends on what you do there.  I have seen it hurt Sailors that don't diversify.  I wouldn't say they look negatively on it, but it's a plus if you are going to different platforms.  Also, it depends on your rating.

exactly. some ratings don't have much choice in the platform. Long as you are constantly growing as a leader/responsibilities. its takes more than being an SME in your rating.

Guest NGUAC1

In my humble opinion I don't think it matters what platform you are attached to.  Sure some rates look for diversity in platforms however, some rates are not afforded that opportunity.  I feel that you can still break out if you make the most of where you are at.  What are you doing to standout among your peers?  Are you hitting all your wickets (i.e.....Fully qualified in-rate; in a leadership role; pursuing off duty education; volunteering; completing PME curriculum….etc)?  Cream always rises to the top!  When I was an A-school instructor, I thought it was going to be hard to breakout , but truthfully, it wasn't.  I say that because lots of people were content with where they were at in the careers.  Only about 30% of us really cared about developing the future of the Navy, were earnest in doing our jobs, and gave 100% all the time.  We didn't try to back-stab each other, instead we made the competition healthy, looked out for one another and diversified our talents.  We stuck together all the time.  Lots of us have advanced to Chiefs or LDO and some of us are still waiting for our shot.  But the ones who have advanced still motivate and encourage most of us who have not yet.  Ok…I know i totally side tracked, but again….Make the most of where you are at, seize every opportunity that comes your way….continue to pass that knowledge and look out for junior Sailors because Cream always rises to the top!

• Like 1

Guest amcreed

I'm really getting excited.  I think in two weeks we are going to know who made it.  To be honest, I don't think I am going to be on that list.  I want to be and I am doing all the right things, but it's always really competitive.  I will make Chief and am excited to see my friends get advanced!

Guest itdominance

quick poll. who all submitted Summary Letters with packages? That will give us a reference on maybe if it helped or not when results come out.

I did.

Guest itdominance

I'm really getting excited.  I think in two weeks we are going to know who made it.  To be honest, I don't think I am going to be on that list.  I want to be and I am doing all the right things, but it's always really competitive.  I will make Chief and am excited to see my friends get advanced!

me too. I just registered for a third class for the August semester. If I do make it, its going to be busy.

Guest AWFChief

quick poll. who all submitted Summary Letters with packages? That will give us a reference on maybe if it helped or not when results come out.

I did.

I did

Guest NGUAC1

I did not...if I don't get selected this time, I will next time though.

Guest FUTUREBOSN

Well I do know the board is complete. My departmental Master Chief returned yesterday. I tranfer 31st JULY and he approached and asked me what is your transfer date again? He then asked if my LCPO had given me my candy yet. I thought to myself what is candy. I dont want to read to much into it but all I could think about was a set of anchors. Ive had those every since I made board. I mean when he approached he smiled and patted me on the back as if he was congratulating me. I could be reading too much into this but I hope im not. He could be playing mind games. But anyway let the wait continue.