FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest amcreed

I have to say this....the fact that we're all striving to be Chiefs and many of us don't know this about the way our examinations work worries me.  We are leaders trying to take care of our folks but if we don't know what they can and can't do then how do we help them succeed?  You'd be surprised at how many don't know that you CAN combine leave and SPECIAL liberty.  (I'll wait for the flames).  I can and will show it in the MILPERSMAN.

As long as you are in the same geographic area as defined by your local command.  Typically, you will find similar verbiage in your local Leave and Liberty Policy which will also define what is considered "out of area".  It does always surprise me that people don't know that....

I have to say this....the fact that we're all striving to be Chiefs and many of us don't know this about the way our examinations work worries me. 

I'm not too worried about that. You don’t have to know everything; you just need to be able to look it up.  If you can’t look it up, that might worry me.

As a reminder to all, this forum is for learning; to help yourself and the people that work for you. There is a lot to gain knowledge-wise. 

With that said, it might be helpful for some to be a little more tactful in their posts, and for others to realize when they make a mistake since no one is infallible. Navy enlisted career management is complex, I don’t think anyone can argue with that, so one would expect it to be a lifetime learning process. 

Most everyone here has their niche area of expertise that they are willing to share on this forum so let’s take advantage of that and individually become more knowledgeable ourselves.

I hope all of you or your significant other gets that S.  BBb)

I stand corrected, I just read it myself. I Shouldn't have taken the word of a PS1 at his 20 year mark.

He was probably an old school DK!!! LOL. 

Guest Msduval2u

So, I did some calculations and swags and here's my guess for the timeline for results:

My educated, shot in the dark guess on when the board will end is 16July. The SCPO board was about 18 days and so was the Reserve/FTS board. The MCPO board was 11 days, but much less people to process through so I only used that number as a bare minimum. I remember last years board being ~4 weeks, so I'm using 3 1/2 work weeks as my guess. Also, there will need to be some time between the completion of the board and release for the post board scrub process and routing for final release. That can take weeks to do, so hopefully they'll finish by 16JUL or the rest of my guess rolls to a later date...

Triad release: NLT 5AUG14, but if I were a betting man (Cyber Beer Pretzels on me if I'm wrong Tony) I'm going to stick with a command Triad release on 31JUL (0700 PST BOL release) and BOL/Public release 1AUG. No results on Friday was an unofficial MCPON word last year and so far this year it has remained true so, the triad wont be notified on a Friday, and I dont think it'll be as late at 7AUG for the Triad release.

Thoughts?

I'll also take my payment in the currency of Cyber M&M's Tony :D

Hey all, the board only lasts for about two weeks. Two cycles ago, one of the Captains from my command was the president of the board and as soon as it was over, he was back at work that Monday. (I almost thought that one took a week but, don't quote me on that) It's just the finalizing that takes forever.

Just got back to my command from House hunting leave in Hawaii w/ our upcoming Homeport shift and got selected SSOQ.  I then found out that my CMC is on the board as well.  I'm not sure how I missed his name, but oh well.  I would really like to test his integrity when he gets back lol jk.  Good luck to all.

• Like 1

Guest Doc-Bigmac

The way I look at it... Last year BOL updated on August 1st.  Previous years the results have typically come out in the first week of August.  Then factor in the MCPON's order this year, and you get a triad notice NLT Aug 6th, and public notice NLT Aug 7th.  OR slide those date one to the right, still meeting the "no results on friday" thing.  Good luck to all!

I thought last year it took around 3 weeks or so. Looking at the other selection boards that have been done this year here's how long they took: (My data is per posts on this site, so my numbers are estimates)

MCPO convened on 31MAR and members showed back up to work on 10APR. (10 days)

SCPO convened on 21APR and members showed back up on 9MAY (18 days)

FTS/Reserve CPO convened 19MAY and members showed back up on 6JUN (18 days).

I do remember that the routing process last year seemed like it was forever, so maybe they call in all cars for the Active CPO board due to the mass number of records they have to look at so they can get the routing done. I'm going to stick with 31JUL though for the triad release. If it's not out by the 5th, you all can go to your local Starbucks and grab one of those "Download of the week" cards, and tell them its on me. BBb)

I'm still going with the Triad release on the 31st.  The sooner, the better.

Guest amcreed
Most everyone here has their niche area of expertise that they are willing to share on this forum so let’s take advantage of that and individually become more knowledgeable ourselves.

I hope all of you or your significant other gets that S.  BBb)

This is exactly why the Chief's Mess is so great.  Every Chief has access to the collective knowledge of the Mess.  We are fortunate to have access to the collective knowledge of this forum....which seems to be a vast amount to say the least!

This is exactly why the Chief's Mess is so great.  Every Chief has access to the collective knowledge of the Mess.  We are fortunate to have access to the collective knowledge of this forum....which seems to be a vast amount to say the least!

Yeah, I remember one Chief on this forum from a DDG who would answer all kinds of questions, even specific to career issues you would see on a carrier.

One day he answered a tough one, can't remember what it was, related to carriers.

Then at the bottom he posted something to the effect of:
"So you all are wondering how I know the answer to all these questions huh?! Well we as Chief's are one and I can fire off an email half the way around the world to an expert and will get a reply back from a fellow Chief like that!." 

"Now go up on the flight deck and launch your butt off the catapult!!" 

I about spit out my coffee on that one... 
Wish he’d swing back by even though he is probably retired by now.  BBb)

Guest amcreed
"Now go up on the flight deck and launch your butt off the catapult!!" 

I remember that!  You've had a lot of good ones come and go over the years, but the forum continues to be a great source of info and a little bit of speculation as well!  My chain over here is thinking 1AUG by the way.....

Guest itdominance

hoping its sooner rather than later. I am so bored that I started working on my eval for November on Monday.

I remember that!  You've had a lot of good ones come and go over the years, but the forum continues to be a great source of info and a little bit of speculation as well!  My chain over here is thinking 1AUG by the way.....

I think he was an FC but can't swear to that

Guest AWFChief

Hey all, the board only lasts for about two weeks. Two cycles ago, one of the Captains from my command was the president of the board and as soon as it was over, he was back at work that Monday. (I almost thought that one took a week but, don't quote me on that) It's just the finalizing that takes forever.

Don't forget to factor in the 4 of July weekend.  Some shore commands are taking the 3rd off too.  That might make it longer than two weeks.

I could be wrong, but I doubt the board is going to take a 72, much less a 96. I'd actually be interested to know if their schedule allows them the holiday off.

I could be wrong, but I doubt the board is going to take a 72, much less a 96. I'd actually be interested to know if their schedule allows them the holiday off.

I was wondering that same thing.

Guest amcreed

I bet they do.  It's the same time every year and I'm sure they get at least the 4th off each year.

They will be working though the holiday as was the case for our FTS/SELRES board. They worked through Memorial Day for our board which means "No Days Off".

My rate is 10% this year what ya think?

Last 5 evals

MP E-5 Rinc recruiting

EP E-6 Transfer

EP First Eval on board LPO At sea

#1 of 76 EP AOIC at sea

EP Transfer

This year Sailor of year for command at sea then won sailor of year for isic and was NECC sailor of year finalist, last year SOQx2 at sea

5 Nam's

1 com

1 aam

1 arcom

Associates degree

Votech degree

Ppme & bpme

4 nec`s

Command ACFL last 5 years

Evals show volunteer but no MOVSM

Been in 12 years third time up cut 78 on exam

The 1 of 76 on sea duty is an outstanding break out that would be looked at seriously. Hopefully the write up is even more powerful.

My rate is 10% this year what ya think?

Last 5 evals

MP E-5 Rinc recruiting

EP E-6 Transfer

EP First Eval on board LPO At sea

#1 of 76 EP AOIC at sea

EP Transfer

This year Sailor of year for command at sea then won sailor of year for isic and was NECC sailor of year finalist, last year SOQx2 at sea

5 Nam's

1 com

1 aam

1 arcom

Associates degree

Votech degree

Ppme & bpme

4 nec`s

Command ACFL last 5 years

Evals show volunteer but no MOVSM

Been in 12 years third time up cut 78 on exam

I would be surprised if you didn't make, but I've been surprised before.  Good work bruh and good luck.

I would be surprised if you didn't make, but I've been surprised before.  Good work bruh and good luck.

I echo the same sentiment. Impressive record you have there. Ove can only hope you have the sailorization piece to accompany this body of work.

HMC(Sel)

Guest Blondie

EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE HOLIDAY..... WORKING ON SKED EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A 4 DAY WEEKEND.. 

You and me both... I went BOG the day the board convened :lol: