FY 15 Chief Selection Board

I feel a little better right now.. My Master chief is fair so I am not worried about it. I just hope I can hear my name over the 1mc. That is the one I never experienced in 18 1/2 of service

I hope you're on the list and can enjoy that experience.

Guest shooter mcgavin

anyone else on pins and needles? i keep reviewing my record looking for things i may have missed even though that is a pointless effort really. Going back and reading my evals gives me both a lot of hope and oddly enough at the same time makes me second guess at my chances. This is my best chance yet coming off a #1 EP and SOY in NSW, various awards etc. i am just so antsy waiting for the results to come out i wish i could just relax. gonna take some leave after the holiday weekend coming up to take my kids camping and then prepare a bit for my upcoming pcs. 

Checked my OMPF on Monday and it was all still good to go. Checked this morning and I noticed a duplicate award in my OMPF. Had it removed once before. Hope it doesn't mess up my chances.

Nothing to worry about here. I had duplicate awards and evals, but still made it. SSP gets you selected. The board members understand that fixing your OMPF canbe frustrating. Good luck.

Guest hazegrey

NJP question

I had an NJP in 2011. It was for something that happened in 2009 which is annotated on the letter. I got an oral reprimand and they also gave me a page 13 warning.

I even received a special eval EP from my CO 5 months later.

I have everything. 3 NAMs, MOVSM, AW/SW/MTS, JPME, PPME, BOTH USMAPS, AA, BS, LPO AT SEA-5MONTHS, LPO SHORE, EMT CERTIFIED, SSOQ, INST OF Q, 3 NECS, Major collaterals on all evals, qualified out on 2 platforms,

Last 5 years of evals

2nd class evals EP, EP

1st class FROCKED EP, SPECIAL EVAL EP, PERIODIC P, TRANSFER EP, PERIODIC MP which was a 4.29 and sga was 4.07 and it was just a 5 month eval

What do you fellow sailors think? Will they see me as a SSP with a hiccup or a mistake that will not go unseen?

Guest Msduval2u

One of my sailors is a first class for 1 year and is transferring soon in September before November evaluations for first class are released, he received a frocked EP and will get a transfer EP, will he be able to take the chiefs test early even though he never got a ranked eval just a frocked and transfer EP?

Yes he will because the crocked is a regular report. I had a few guys take the exam early while in IDC school because of that very situation.

According to BUPERSINST1430.16F, they only have to have an EP on their most recent observed regular evaluation.  Since they got an EP, even though they were frocked, on a regular evaluation, as long as they get a NOB for this eval in NOV, yes they are eligible to take it a year early.

You guys might want to verify that info. Although he received an observed, frocked eval, he is also receiving a transfer eval. That will cancel out his observed eval and according to the instruction, transfer EP evals do not count towards taking the advancement exam early.

You guys might want to verify that info. Although he received an observed, frocked eval, he is also receiving a transfer eval. That will cancel out his observed eval and according to the instruction, transfer EP evals do not count towards taking the advancement exam early.

I was thinking that same thing. It has to be the most current eval.

Guest amcreed

Yeah transfers don't count, but it says "most recent periodic eval" and NOBs don't count against you.  The transfer eval doesn't cancel out the fact that his "most recent periodic eval" is an EP.

Guest Msduval2u

The frocking/closeout eval will not count because it is their last eval at the previous rate, the transfer eval will not have any count for the EP waiver because it is not a regular eval. If the Frocked eval was during the regular reporting period but was listed as frocked then it should count towards the waiver, however you can only take it one year early, so there should be one other regular eval depending on the dates. as long as the next eval is a NOB then the frocked should be sufficient. In the case of calculating PMA for the exam if you receive an EP transfer and then a NOB at your new command the EP counts.

And the instruction states "in the current rate"

Guest amcreed

And the instruction states "in the current rate"

A frocked eval would be "in the current rate".  It's not a close out selected eval.  It's a regular eval.

Guest Msduval2u

A frocked eval would be "in the current rate".  It's not a close out selected eval.  It's a regular eval.

OK amcreed...stay calm. just saying make sure you verify the info.   I'm not the only one saying this either. :graphics-3d-smileys-636308:

Guest itdominance

NJP question

I had an NJP in 2011. It was for something that happened in 2009 which is annotated on the letter. I got an oral reprimand and they also gave me a page 13 warning.

I even received a special eval EP from my CO 5 months later.

I have everything. 3 NAMs, MOVSM, AW/SW/MTS, JPME, PPME, BOTH USMAPS, AA, BS, LPO AT SEA-5MONTHS, LPO SHORE, EMT CERTIFIED, SSOQ, INST OF Q, 3 NECS, Major collaterals on all evals, qualified out on 2 platforms,

Last 5 years of evals

2nd class evals EP, EP

1st class FROCKED EP, SPECIAL EVAL EP, PERIODIC P, TRANSFER EP, PERIODIC MP which was a 4.29 and sga was 4.07 and it was just a 5 month eval

What do you fellow sailors think? Will they see me as a SSP with a hiccup or a mistake that will not go unseen?

I am in almost the same boat. I went to mast in april 2010. But I had mine overturned and off my record. CO gave me an adverse transfer eval dated july 2010. NAVPERS kicked it back saying it was invalid due to dates and performance marks but the eval will remain due to continuety. I have tried to have it completely removed with no joy. My ITC here told me I am done and will never make chief. Before I got that command in 2007 I was an ep e-6 for 3 years in a row. Do not I repeat do not go to a P3 squadron as an IT.

I have had 5 evals since then:

P November 2010 (NCTS on watchfloor couldnt move up)

P November 2011 (NCTS on watchfloor couldnt move up)

MP November 2012 (WCS, ALPO, IDW SME, CAT, DAPA, CFS, CFC, CACO, taught ADAMS and AWARE) only 1 of 2 e-6s to get a 5.0 on leadership

EP August 2013 (transfer eval, I was EKMS manager for 8 months due to civilian in motorcycle accident for NCTS)

MP Aovember 2013 (1st eval here, LPO, DAPA, CFS, CACO, Security Coordinator, Lead Network Admin).

I will complete my Bachelor of Science in 4 weeks, I start grad school on August 25th, 3 Microsoft quals, 6 NEC's including 2791. I am hopeful that transfer eval did not kill my career. I have IT's i trained just put on senior chief. this is my 9th time up. made e-6 in december 2003. UGG!!!!! I know at this point it is wishful thinking on my behalf.

Guest amcreed

OK amcreed...stay calm. just saying make sure you verify the info.   I'm not the only one saying this either. :graphics-3d-smileys-636308:

Oh, I'm clam! lol.

Yeah I have my fingers cross for OS at 40% this is my best chance I feel I have but I felt the same way last year lol.

My evals are pretty solid and states SSP and I have 5 nams 1 comm, movsm, 1 aam, Mts, jpme, ppme. My biggest thing was I broke out amongst peers but I don't have the big numbers as far as first classes what do y'all think?

Last five evals

e5 EP,

Frock Ep

E-6 2 out of 6 Ep

E-6 1out of 6 Ep

Xfer Ep

And the welcome aboard p

Guest Msduval2u

Transfer evals absolutely count towards an early exam waiver. I picked up 1st class on the March 2012 exam. I received a regular E6 eval EP, four months later a transfer EP, went to SOIDC (year long, was given NOB) took test this year and am board eligible.....

I didn't say that didn't count. We were referring to the member taking the exam early

Guest Msduval2u

Transfer evals absolutely count towards an early exam waiver. I picked up 1st class on the March 2012 exam. I received a regular E6 eval EP, four months later a transfer EP, went to SOIDC (year long, was given NOB) took test this year and am board eligible.....

Go back and read the whole feed. Any eval always counts toward your exam. We were trying to determine if a member could take the exam early with a transfer EP eval

In regards to the member being eligible for the exam with a transfer eval he is not as others have stated. In the case with Bamatopher as another had stated his frocked EP eval which is a regular reporting eval allowed him to take the exam early because his next regular reporting eval was a NOB received in SOIDC school. I hope that clear enough lol. Man we have a lot of estrogen and testosterone brewing in this forum I LOVE IT! As always good luck to all.

Man we have a lot of estrogen and testosterone brewing in this forum I LOVE IT! As always good luck to all.

Agree and I'd add that the shared knowledge in this thread is awesome - if you want to learn, this is the place...  BBb)

All the volunteer work I have done and no movsm.... oh well it is still reflected in my evals

Thanks bruh for the shoot out I hope we both make it same like yesterday when we where OS2 mitcherman lol

Yeah I had been doing volunteer work and my OSCS was like where is your MOVSM I was like I don't do it for that he was ok next thing I know we had quarters and the captain awarded me it. He told me it speaks to the board that you was recognized by the navy for all your work in the community.

I think he's saying "frocked" as in when Nov 15 rolled around his guy wasn't getting paid for therefore he was still frocked vice frocking eval as in closeout that some commands still choose to do when it isn't needed for everyone unless they gonna go over the 15 month period in which that rarely ever happens for someone going from E-5 to E-6.

Transfer evals count towards PMA but they do NOT count towards an exam waiver. Had you have gotten a regular E6 eval of MP or below and then a transfer EP you would NOT have taken the exam early. It is in the 1430.16F. 

I have to say this....the fact that we're all striving to be Chiefs and many of us don't know this about the way our examinations work worries me.  We are leaders trying to take care of our folks but if we don't know what they can and can't do then how do we help them succeed?  You'd be surprised at how many don't know that you CAN combine leave and SPECIAL liberty.  (I'll wait for the flames).  I can and will show it in the MILPERSMAN or how many senior personnel thinks that if you get an SP eval then you next eval must be Progressing.  Learn the instructions.  Some are vague but the 1430.16 and 1610.10 are pretty clear. 

Guest amcreed

I think he's saying "frocked" as in when Nov 15 rolled around his guy wasn't getting paid for therefore he was still frocked vice frocking eval as in closeout that some commands still choose to do when it isn't needed for everyone unless they gonna go over the 15 month period in which that rarely ever happens for someone going from E-5 to E-6.

Correct.  Regular periodic ending on 15 NOV PO1 eval with promotion status (block 8) of "frocked".