Navy Reserve launches i3 Waypoints to fast-track ideas from deck plates to the Chief of Navy Reserve

Tony

ARLINGTON, Va. -- Vice Adm. John B. Mustin, Chief of Navy Reserve and Commander, Navy Reserve Force, launched i3 Waypoints on April 13, 2022, to fast-track transformative ideas from across the U.S. Navy to the highest levels of the Navy Reserve, without filters, administrative friction or bureaucratic barriers.

i3 Waypoints is an approach to inventing: Innovate something entirely new; improve on something already established; or integrate several ideas, products or processes rendering the former completely obsolete. 

The Navy Reserve is aggressively transforming and modernizing, pivoting from two decades of land-based, non-maritime contributions, to instead laser-focus on warfighting readiness to address today’s security environment and strategic competition in a maritime domain.    

This transformation includes across the board changes, from shifting capabilities and capacity to critical strategic needs, to our approach to warfighting and mobilization readiness, our force mobilization processes and day-to-day operational and administrative processes. 

Sailors and civilians, who are on the front lines of challenges and roadblocks in their daily lives, are invaluable sources of ideas for change.   

i3 Waypoints challenges the entire Navy – from Selected Reserve, Training and Administration of the Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, Active Duty and government civilians, in all ranks, rates and grades – to propose new or better ways for the Navy Reserve to operate.

All submissions will go directly to an initial review panel, which will select finalists to present their ideas to a panel of senior Navy Reserve, policy and industry leaders, including Mustin and Navy Reserve Force Master Chief Tracy L. Hunt. The presentations will be videotaped at Defense Media Activity at Ft. Meade, Md,. on June 28, 2022, and subsequently broadcast. 

The process to submit your transformative ideas is simple: Visit the i3 Waypoints CAC-enabled portal at https://flankspeed.sharepoint-mil.us/sites/I3Waypoints/SitePages/i3_home.aspx to read more information, review the terms and conditions, and submit your ideas. The portal will accept ideas from April 13 through May 22, 2022.  NOTE:  You may be prompted to login in using your Flank Speed credentials. 

One winner will be selected, although several ideas may be implemented.